Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Replying to a different thread:

Shumagorath posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but what's a good reader + app combination for someone who wants to expand their collection and has no shelf space left? I know the iPad Air is probably king, but the only app I know by name is Comixology and it sounds like utter poo poo.

Ideally, I'd like something that will work on an ARM Surface and handle paid comics and eBooks along with some not-so-paid content I've had lying around since that stuff was available on SA. More than willing to upgrade that to paid versions if the panel-by-panel zooming is worthwhile.

So, basically, comiXology has become the main digital comics store. Most publishers use them. Anything else has sporadic support and nothing from the big publishers (Marvel, DC, etc). And, I think they got rid of their Windows support? (you'd have to use a browser) The only thing comiXology supports is books bought through comiXology.

An alternative to buying comics through them, if you are into the Big Two, is Marvel Unlimited and DC Universe Infinite. They are like Netflix, you pay monthly/annually and get access to their catalogs. Back catalogs are iffy, new comics seem to come out about 6 months after publication.

Smaller publishers/indies/self-publishers/Kickstarter will sell digital copies of their work as PDFs and CBR/CBZs (CBRs are just renamed RAR files full of JPGs, CBZs are the same but ZIP files). You will not get these from the big publishers (Image did it for a long time before jumping completely to omiXology). There is a bunch of readers of these files, depending on which OS you are running. I'd tell you what I'm using on Windows, but it is very old and tried to install some BS one time, so I'm not going to spread their name (it still works and I rarely use it these days). I'm very out of date with Android apps. There have been a few iOS ones mentioned recently.

And, one thing to definitely check out is your local library. The specific app will depend on what the library uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That's great to know!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

vkeios posted:

I was unaware libraries had membership fees. Is that for if you don’t live in the county or something?

Edit: wow, mine does offer memberships for a fee. It’s $180 a year.

$180! poo poo, for that, I can just fund my own comic book buying for (does math)... Oh, that's not a very long time...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Been doing a book club with some friends, so all I have time with right now is X-Men comics I buy at the store and reading old X-Men and, now, DC crossovers on their apps. Which means that I am super behind on the Image comics I was following digitally 2 or 3 years ago.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rincewinds posted:

Edit: Never mind, my browser was buggy.

Ah, the future. Reading comics being interrupted by internet browser bugs...

Go Comics was down for almost a week and I couldn't get my daily Nancy and Pearl's Before Swine intake.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Upsidads posted:

DC adding ultra tier ends they service for me, this is just lovely

I'm using it for a book club and it's "hilarious" how much stuff is missing. We're reading event comics from the late 80's, mostly done in Annuals, and there's tons of Action Comics and Batman issues missing.

We just went through Eclipso: Darkness Within and the Eclipso issues were missing!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rincewinds posted:

Humble Bundle have a collection of manga by Kazuo Koike , including Lone Wolf and Path of the Assassin and Image has several collections from the last decade, including Saga.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/black-friday-encore-lone-wolf-cub-and-more-koike-from-dark-horse-books

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-30th-anniversary-10s-books

I think I have most of those Image books and don't really have time to catch up on what I'm missing, but a lot of them are good!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Are the Android Apps for reading CBZs in the OP up-to-date or are there other recommendations?

As to Windows readers, I'd definitely recommend taking CdisplayEX out of the list. The creator died like a decade ago and the forks that have been coming out ever since are malware-laden. I've been using YACReader for years on windows and it's the best approximation of OG CDisplay, and I think it has a Chocolatey package if you are into that.

https://www.yacreader.com/

I have not kept that up to date nor have I been using Android for CBZs. I hope someone has a recommendation for you.

I will update the Windows list. Yeah, I still use CDisplay, but I also had to deal with some crap that it installed a few years ago. I just don't deal with their updates. Still, not worth leaving it there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

I have not kept that up to date nor have I been using Android for CBZs. I hope someone has a recommendation for you.

This was posted a few months ago:

Heavy Metal posted:

A couple more tidbits, you can still get a download of a cbz or pdf for a lot of Image comics, via Google play books. On a store page for a book where you click About Book, if it says "this content is DRM free" it allows a download. That's the only way I buy digital comics, as well as 2000AD's online shop which has downloads etc.

Perfect Viewer is a great viewer for Android I use.

Anyway, updated the list. It's definitely not something I keep on top of, please let me know if there are recommendations to add or remove.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Anyone know if there’s a way to lock stuff out ComiXology? I put it on my kid’s iPad and downloaded a bunch of my old stuff I thought he’d like, but there’s a good amount of R rated stuff in there, can I hide that or set it to not download without a password or something?

I just opened up comiXology on my Android phone and got a notification that one can hide individual issues or titles. They're not locked out, but you don't display them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not super experienced with either system, but I've been using them for a book club (ie, being given a list to read). I find it just fine to use, pretty much similar to Marvel Unlimited. Filtering my library seems a little better and I like being able to make my own lists. Doing a search for specific issues is a bit of a pain, I do that on my PC instead of my tablet when I can. I'd guess a big problem with that is looking for a specific, say, Action Comics issue and having to dig through 1,000 issues.

One thing that annoys me is it freaking the gently caress out when I'm off network. Doesn't show covers properly, gives an annoying pop-up that I can't always dismiss, but reads just fine once I'm in a book.

I mostly use it on an iPad.

One thing we've run into is various issues missing. Like, we read Armageddon 2001 and half of the annuals weren't on there. I'm talking about Superman, Batman, Justice League, Action Comics. We read the Eclipso run and the two Eclipso books that bookended it weren't on there. Everything featuring Hawkman was on there, though!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 5, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

DC Universe Infinite question: can you reorder a list that you have created? It seems to be locked in the order that you have added the individual issues. Welp, one of my lists, I added an issue from the wrong "volume" and putting in the correct issue put it at the end of my list. The only fix I see is redoing the list as a whole.

It's just a reading list and not a big deal, but it's BUGGING THE HELL OUT OF ME.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I am able to!

I'd tell you how I do it, but I just tap on the screen a bunch until it let's me read my stuff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I remember hearing about some digital things being limited and then sold on markets with zero issues! They were protected with cryptography and used as a currency...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

xK1 posted:

The Forbes article makes it sound like it's just single issues that are on sale for one-week only and the eventual collections will be regularly available but it's still stupid as gently caress.

That reminds me that I need to pick up a half dozen issues from Panel Syndicate that came out the last couple of months...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just got an email that the Marvel Comics App is getting shut down.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/marvel-comics-app-purchases-moving-to-marvel-unlimited

They're saying purchases will be moved to Marvel Unlimited and you should make sure your accounts are linked.

I don't know what this means about getting digital copies of books that you buy. Are those still going to be a thing?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I check out everything on Panel Syndicate.

http://panelsyndicate.com/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Reminder: Marvel Comics shutting down in two days.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/marvel-comics-app-purchases-moving-to-marvel-unlimited

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've just been getting out of the house more. I know, I know.

And bringing my tablet with me so I can read comics on the go!

Right now I'm subbed to the DC app and it's super annoying to use when you are offline. There's a pop up telling me I need to read in offline mode that I can't click away and I can't look at my lists at all. I can only see what I downloaded, in the order it got saved to my iPad, which is generally not the reading order.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Like 99% of my purchases came from buy 1 get 1 sales that happened several times a year and haven't at all since the integration with the Amazon store. For full price, I'm just going to buy a physical book from a local shop.

If it wasn't locked into comixology via DRM, I'd consider paying full price, but I'm not going to have my media locked into them.

Edit: I also buy Blu-rays and vinyl records (and DRM-free mp3s). :corsair:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 7, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The one thing that annoys me about Humble Bundle is that every page is it's own "page" in the digital format. This includes two page spreads. So I'll read a page, think it's a little weird, turn the page, and see the 2nd half of everything I missed.

I keep think I should go into the files and just combine those pages, but :effort:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

CBZs are waaaaaaay smaller for basically identical quality. There's basically no benefit to PDF in this case beyond portability.

A nerd thing that doesn't matter for reading books:
CBZs are just a ZIP file full of jpgs. CBRs are a RAR file. You can rename the file to *.zip or *.rar and unzip them. You can take a bunch of JPGs, save them into a ZIP or RAR and rename them to CBZ or CBR. I not a 100% certain of how they order the files for reading, I just do filename001, filename002, etc. But also have done, like filename003-004 for spreads and that sorts them correctly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also everything starting with 'The' is filed under T. lmao.

I HATE THIS. I rename my comics and mp3s and poo poo from The Name to Name (The) so whatever random thing I'm using is correct.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Anyone else having the problem with the DC Infinite app (iPad) where they read some comics, put it away (app open) come back a day later, everything seems to work fine, but clicking read on a new comic just pulls up a black screen? I keep force closing it, then the app fails to launch, then launches fine on the second try. The comics I read are downloaded like 99% of the time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just did a search for it and the first thing that came up was a reddit post from two years ago that it is gone from the Play Store.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Edit: dang you, beat me!

Another step to "good bye" for comiXology.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/comixology-app-merges-with-the-kindle-app-at-amazon/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LennyBriscoCountyJr posted:

Hellboy bundle up at Humble.

Okay, I totally have all these books, but I can't pass this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dang, they have big titles from bit publishers, including some Star Wars stuff.