Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

From Dustin Nyugen tumblr:

Not feeling Harper in there but I'm dying at Jason's creeper face :haw:

Batman: Remember, back to the camera Cassandra, or else you will have to leave.

The rest of the internet: :(

But thanks for posting that picture, I love Dustin Nyugen's artwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

wiegieman posted:

If you look, Alfred is holding her old Batgirl costume.

My God, you're right. I only noticed that now.
Now that is how professional Alfred is, even though she's been in limbo for nearly 3 years, he keeps her suit cleaned and pressed.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

DynamicSloth posted:

This would be a stretch but I'm fine with that as a comic book explanation but not how anyone could think it was somehow possibly Gordon's fault, which is what the big dramatic close is predicated on.

Personally I think one of the twists is that the cop who ordered Gordon's arrest, Major Forbes, is in on it. I mean, apart from the fact that he is clearly a bad guy since he's against Gordon, but I think he's in on the frame job.

After all, despite having arrived but not witnessing Gordon shoot the guy, he seems to know that he was unarmed.
Also the bald guy talks to himself before he runs off, so it was clear that he knew what he was getting into.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Good attempt Darwyn, but you didn't have Bruce Wayne yell out "Terry, Get out of there, NOW!"
Scrap your entire work and start over.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

http://www.newsarama.com/20956-c2e2-2014-dc-comics-batman-panel-live.html

quote:

Will we see Renee Montoya, and in what capacity? Snyder said, "there are no bigger Renee Montoya fans than the people working on Eternal, but the key is to find the right way to bring her back and honor her, like we did for Stephanie Brown. Cass, too, I wrote her in Gates of Gotham and miss her. We're trying!"

"Yeah, nearly three years into the New Universe and DC's management still hates Cassandra Caine with a fiery passion. But hey, we've managed to get them to release Stephanie to us, so maybe we'll finally be allowed use her by next year. 2015, tops."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Regarding the Comixology sale, how is City of Crime? Is it Stray Bulletsy?

E: Also, Snow from LOTDK aince it has art by that Willworld guy. Is that good?

I love City of Crime, I think it is a unsung gem of a Batman story.

The short, non spoilery version of the plot is this. A little girl goes missing in Gotham. Batman decides to focus on this, and as a result starts kicking over a LOT of Hornet's nests in Gotham trying to find her.
It's a great crime story featuring a man who dresses like Dracula and has a military grade jet. It skirts the grimdark line, but it is appropriate given the noir tone to the work. I'd definitely recommend it, particularly if it's on sale.

I seem to recall Batman Snow was the Mr. Freeze story that looked sort of like a fairy tale, and was also really good.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Madkal posted:

In case you weren't completely sold on the new Batgirl team, this interview will do it for you.

Choice quote:

Wow looking at that interview it comes across that the interviewer and the creators are really enthusiastic about the book and have invested a lot of energy in it. It sounds like being a fresh take on the source material, and more in line with the kind of Batgirl book I'd be interested in.

I wish them all the best, but I'm not going to buy it.

I have no ill will whatsoever towards the team, but the simple fact is Barbara Gordon is my problem. Whenever DC whatever the medium decide to use a Batgirl, it's always Barbara. It's the default assumption that Babs = Batgirl, and that's what kills me. Yes I can accept that Stephanie wouldn't work for the story the writers want to tell because she's too young and only been recently introduced. I get that. And I hope that they find the audience they are searching for.
It's just that audience won't include me. Because I just don't like Barbara Gordon.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

redbackground posted:

C'mon, I'm Mr. Stephanie is the Best, but I'm still super excited for this book, as it is EXACTLY what DC needs to be doing more of.

Also, do you not like Barbara as Batgirl, or Babs, period? She was pretty awesome during her stint with the Suicide Squad, head of Birds of Prey, mentor to Cass....

Oh my problem is Barbara as Batgirl. I was absolutely fine with her as Cass's mentor during that run on Batgirl. I just am not interested in reading stories about her as Batgirl. (Like her being present reduced my enjoyment of the Alex Ross Justice series, and that was a book essentially set during the 70's where it's appropriate for her to show up.)
It's like she seems more symptomatic of DC's refusal to ever change any of their characters even more so than Hal Jordan or Barry Allen. At least with Hal the rest of the GL Corps seems to evolve and expand, and Barry Allen's new series at the nu52 honestly tried to be a completely fresh take on everything. (And it had amazing, kinetic artwork.)

It's just Babs as Batgirl just screams "I am the great and wonderful Barbara Gordon. As long as I shall exist, you shall never see any non- red headed Batgirls in any Computer Game/ Animated/ Film adaptation of Batman. Imagine the future is my bat-boot stamping on your face, forever."
Now I know that the upcoming talent have nothing to do with that. That they are bringing energy and change, and it's not fair that they get tarred with the same brush for mistakes made by previous DC Editorial and writers. But life's not fair.

I'm just done with DC. Marvel are just putting out more and more stuff I consistently enjoy while DC just haven't been (aside from Synder's Year Zero and Soule's Red Lanterns.) I'm currently just waiting on Injustice to go on sale on Comixology so I can buy all of Year 1 and 2 of that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

lotus circle posted:

But Injustice is a digital first series. All the issues are at .99 a piece, I don't think they're going to get any cheaper than that.

I'm waiting for them to put the collections (IE the Digital-TPB's) on sale. If they don't do it around the time that Year 3 launches, I'll just buy them en mass.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

I wanted Hush to be the new Anarky, in that no one would write about him or want to read about him.

Oh also, Pied Piper exists, Madkal.

:(
I would want to read about Anarky.
(Owns the TPB and all the issues from the 1999 series. Even the unpublished ones.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Cassandra had another great hook, at least one I loved. She's a part of the elite Batman crew of Detectives, but she couldn't read or do any of the complex detective work.

It essentially meant that even the simplest case was a huge challenge to her. (Her school of detective work was "walk into a bar and punch thugs and hope that someone knows something." Which if you've ever played in an RPG party with good combat characters but no social interactive characters, you will recognise.)

Anyway it doesn't matter if the rest of you all don't like Cassandra, I got to give my 6 year old daughter a Tiny Titan's trade paper back for her birthday, and this volume has Cassandra Caine Batgirl in it. (Just called Cassandra in an adorable way of minimilization.)
So anyway, that's one more Cassandra Caine fan in the world.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Comics are a weird business from the point of view of the feelings they engender. Certain characters can mass appeal. And some are like Marmite, with people who LOVE them or HATE them.

Take Keith Giffen, for example. He's an excellent writer who created a lot of fantastic characters and has a lot of amazing storylines. But he loving hated Osiris and Karate Kid. And one of his objectives in 52 (even before he found out the overall twist) was to kill Osiris. And he said it was the same thing with Countdown. One of the conditions to him agreeing to do that weekly series was so he could make Karate Kid suffer a slow and painful death.

And likewise you get the opposite with some writers having a huge love feeling for some characters and bringing them back and using them just for that reason. (Like Joss Wheadon and Colossus.)

Now, I'm not saying that someone high up at DC falls into the same category and has a huge hatred of Cassandra Caine....but I wouldn't be surprised is all.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

So he hated a character that was created during 52? I am also pretty sure that Geoff Johns was the writer for that section. He was also only the artist for Countdown. He did however kill him in Legion of Superheroes 4

http://www.comicmix.com/2008/03/31/interview-keith-giffen-on-the-final-weeks-of-countdown-to-final-crisis/

Here's an interview where he talks about how much he hated Karate Kid and wanted to hurt him.

The stuff about Osiris comes up in the 52 Trade Paper Backs.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Madkal posted:

This is from the preview:

See if you can find CC there.

Also, I wonder if Forerunner has any fans out there.

Just read the full Batgirl issue, it's pretty good.

It's as outlined. Barbara husband dies and she spends years infiltrating the underworld destroying them from within. The last challenge is Bane and she had to follow his path, including getting on Venom.
In their final fight Bane makes her realize her path is one of suicide but she decides to live.
The funniest part is where she reveals that she never used Venom to become so muscled.
It just reminded me of Mr. Burns "all this time I was injecting harmless anabolic steroids! "

Oh and the Batgirl are Stephanie, Cassandra (no last name given, but clearly her) and Tiffany Fox, presumably Luicis Fox daughter.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Nomura's take on Catwoman. :v:

Zandatsu! Take it all!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

The #villain was pretty much an embodiment of the MRA dudebro demographic that pitched a fit at the new costume because Doc Martens are way less practical for crime-fighting than stripper heels, obviously. (And I say this as a guy who HATED the redesigned Power Girl outfit from the reboot. Mostly because it looked like a B-movie 'future' outfit.)

And yeah, Juliet Kahn over at Comics Alliance mentioned in her review that this new run justified removing Oracle and all I could think was... "No, it doesn't?". The eidetic memory stuff was clever and well presented by Stewart and Tarr, but as you say, there's little other than that that would require this to be Barbara's story. Hell, if I'd been making the call in the New52 reboot? I'd probably have combined Stephanie and Cass into one character. Sure, it'd suck to lose the interesting literacy arc Cassandra went through, but you ditch the problematic League of Assassins stuff too, and you get a disabled heroine and a non-white one, rather than losing the former and barely paying lipservice to the latter.

I did enjoy the book for what it is, and will probably pick up the next few, but it kind of underlines the weird approach DC took to diversity and legacy in the relaunch.

...Steph is a happy go lucky upbeat person who puts aside the fact that her dad is a loser super villain to fight crime.

Cass is a person who was raised by a sociopath as a weapon and overcame all that to show her humanity and fight crime.

They work so well as friends because they are major opposites who compliment each other. I don't think you could really combine the two without majorly losing important parts of each character.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

As I understand it one of the creators of the book works as a DJ, so would lend the series an authentic tone as to what the youth of today act like.
In this regard that's a good thing when it comes to attracting new readers.

I'm still not going to read it because I just can't stand Barbara Gordon, but fair play to them for rolling the character in a new direction.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bedtime Stories posted:

Ugh, Eternal is getting harder to defend each passing week. It just seems to be "raising the stakes" every single issue to the point of it becoming ridiculous.

Did Bruce really stockpile military grade weapons in highly populated areas and then send a comparative rookie (who happens to be Alfred's daughter) to shoulder an incredibly deadly mission less than a year after his own son was KIA? Literally how did he not expect both of these things to shoot him in the foot almost immediately? :wtc:

Yeah it's almost like this Batman has learned no lesson from War Games....Oh, wait.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Now that Damian is break alive, Bruce was totally right to repeatedly lie to Damian's tutor about what happened to him.
Like for the year or two that he was dead it made Bruce look like a complete rear end in a top hat. But now that he's back, all those lies mean that Bruce doesn't have to do MORE lying to explain Damian's return.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Wu's the only one that looks actually badass.

She's just doing Blue Steel.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Nice try, you scamps but I am wise to your mischievous ways. :colbert:

Or at least I vaguely recall you all saying one of 52 or Countdown was terrible and one of them was the other done right.

52 (and Countdown) are both made up of multiple narratives.
At the time they came out, I sort of hated 52 because it would alternate between stories I loved and really cared about and I es I out and out hated. By the end it averaged out at being okay by virtue of having a really strong ending.

Countdown, at the time I was reading it, seemed devoted to a really strange series of awful plot turns and since I wasn't a huge DC fan I loved it. (Albeit for the wrong reasons. It has a storyline that is essentially the long and painful death of Character X Karate Kid. Which was great for me as I hated Character X. But if you were a fan, then the whole thing would have been a kick in the nuts.)
But Countdown seemed to flow or read better as a weekly than 52 did, so maybe Dido was right about it being "52 done right. "

I will say I recently re-read 52 in collected form and it is a lot better. It still has some problems with structure and narrative, but it didn't annoy me on the second read through. I haven't gone back to read Countdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I'm really more intrigued less by the who is in the suit and more the why?

Like okay Gordon is in the suit. And I didn't finish reading Batman:Eternal or Endgame, but I guess it's that Jim Gordon is too much of a high profile target after Eternal or something.

So what, did Batman decide to give Jim one of his spare Batsuits to keep him protected. (It's the lame one that looks like a bunny, that's why I never use it.)
But Bruce didn't feel like taking the time to clean away the Batman branding on the suit. So Jim's just stuck with a Bat-super suit that he can't change the logo on.

• Locked thread