Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

A+X
various artists and writers
The anthology series that spun out of AvX is about to end pretty soon.

Oh what? Son of a bitch, that was one of my favorite books. I'm a total sucker for both team-ups and anthologies, so it was like, perfect for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Rockslide which everybody here seems to want.

Everybody wants Rockslide, they just don't know it yet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Uncanny X-Men is supposed to be about Scott's mutant revolution, yet that book is following the exact same pattern of simply reacting to things. Sometimes they go places and sentinels show up, and they have to deal with said sentinels, but no progress forward or backward is being made on that front. Sometimes they train a recruit. Sometimes they squabble amongst themselves. They have no apparent objectives beyond simple abstract concepts like "give mutants a fighting chance." It's like every issue is what would normally be a filler in-between more focused arcs, save for the decent Dormamu story in the very first couple issues and the BotA tie-ins (and ugh to those). I feel like there should be some structure after 18 issues. Uncanny X-Force was almost done the Dark Angel Saga by then!

I think Uncanny's big problem is that it starts off with the premise of "We're gonna save these new mutants and then teach them!" But then it hits the brick wall/problem that any X-Men title has, which is "poo poo, we have too many people". Once Bendis finishes building up his little newbie squad in the first couple of issues, you know that's who the focus is on, and while they can go out and save mutants, it can't be in the same way, because they're not going to bring them back to their base anymore. Not because the base is full, mind you, but because the plot wouldn't allow for them to get a fair amount of "screen time" for lack of a better term. And because Scott's operating at a brand new/big empty military base, new mutants can't just fade into the background like they can at the old Xavier school/the Jean Grey school. So now the cast has to be proactive and hunting Sentinels or Purifiers or something, rather than reactive and going to save mutants from human persecution because when they do that, the question becomes "Now what?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Looks like someone's been watching Archer. I am not a very highbrow guy when it comes to humor, but goddamn it the very concept of ugh Goldballs no goddammit i'm not calling him that Fabio Medina as Bendis' walking excuse for purposefully bad jokes is so loving annoying I cannot stand it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DynamicSloth posted:

Holy poo poo a Bendis event where he actually managed to stick the landing, too bad he won't be writing any more young Scott for a while, the insane teenage bravado was fun.

Really? You would call that sticking the landing? I thought Jean going Super Saiyan/reaching the Avatar State was dumb as hell. I'm really sick of every single little plot with Jean being "Oh man she's SO POWERFUL guys what if she flips out and becomes the Phoenix? Eh? Ehhhh?" I can feel Bendis poking me in the ribs and it's just like, I loving get it already, can you tell another story with the character or just go ahead and do your inevitable Phoenix event?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Christmas Jones posted:

Let the man have some peace.

No. That man you saw literally in heaven in Amazing X-Men was a skrull posing as Xavier. The real Xavier was actually in hell the whole time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

yet another thing he just chucked out the window

Winner winner chicken dinner.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Regarding this week's Uncanny: You know, I'd probably be more inclined to be more sympathetic with Scott's camp of mutants if Scott weren't such a loving douchebag like constantly. Goddamn was he ever the epitome of :smug: this issue.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Sabertooth takes over Wolverine's mind. He is now the Superior Wolverine.

THE BUB IS CAST!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

And they just relaunched W&XM, so god knows what they are thinking.

They'll just Batman & Robin it and replace the "Wolverine" in "Wolverine & the X-Men" with a different X-Man every issue until Wolverine comes back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

(Although I'd love to see a modern Anansi constantly feuding with/teaming up with/annoying Loki.)

I had never thought of anything like this and now I can't think of anything I've ever wanted more than Trickster God Team-Up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So the first issue didn't really win me over but I gotta say now I'm definitely disliking Doop now that his series is revealing that he is actively behind characters being stupid in Battle of the Atom.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

So you are mad at the series taking a piss on Battle of the Atom?

Battle of the Atom should be forgotten and left to rot in my memories, not dragged to the forefront, even if it's for shits and giggles.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

anticake posted:

My LCBS has a sign that says unaccompanied children under 16 are flat out not welcome in the shop. I guess that's one way to solve that problem.

tbf, a shame though it may be, there's a lot of comics out there that you probably don't want small kids just grabbing off the shelf without a parent around to screen what they're reading (cough half of DC's current output cough). Although 16 does seem like a little bit of a high bar to set.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

Where has Colossus been? Last I saw him he wanted to be left alone after the whole Phoenix Five fiasco; when did he joined Wolverine's school?

Well he was rolling with Cable & X-Force, then that book got canceled and I guess he just decided to quit and go back to school.

...Of course that still would have left him a wanted man for busting out of a prison. I guess nobody from SHIELD or any other law enforcement agency ever bothered trying to recapture him.

e: I'm pretty sure this is his first appearance post-X-Force so I'll be curious to see if anybody acknowledges that his powers are still supposed to be hosed up and have him use his little power amplifier belt or if they'll just forget that whole thing.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 5, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Guess they kinda forgot about that "being wanted" part since Magik and Emma Frost are both in Original Sin assisting the other characters in that.

They could just be putting that aside as the Watcher being dead is seen as a Big Deal and rises above petty mutant squabbles.

And honestly, it seems like really the only mutant anybody really wants these days is Cyclops, really.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MY ABACUS! posted:

Does baby Xavier look just like Xavier because Mystique was disguised as him when she hosed him?

No, the weird eyebrow gene is just very strong in the Xavier line.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I can't bring myself to read the issue again but are they implying that Raze is running around as an kid right now?

Yes. They showed Mystique popping out Xavier Jr. in the last issue and this one implies that apparently Raze is just a year older. Which means that drat, she had Wolverine's kid and then immediately went on to have another with Xavier. Either she is just trying to single-handedly repopulate the mutant race or she just really doesn't believe in safe sex.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Marvel Time, man. Moira's likely been dead... oh, say three years at the very most.

Well the narration boxes in the last issue put Xavier Jr's birth at a year before the current conflict. So I guess Mystique could've hooked up with Prof X in the guise of Moira approximately 9 months before that. So with Marvel time dilation™, I'd say you're either right on the money and guess either Moira's been dead about 3 years... or Charles Xavier is a moron who just assumed "Welp, death's a rotating door anyway, I guess it's about time you're back Moira, let's have sex"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Honestly the more I read Uncanny the more I find myself supporting Maria Hill. All of the mutants are just assholes and gently caress around with the timestream too much and then at the end of the story Cyclops moves in to be smug as gently caress and be like "Oh you really should have known there are like 3 evil Beasts at any given time trying to infiltrate and use any resources they can to be evil for the sake of it. Also you really should have known that Mystique the shapeshifter would infiltrate your ship. Now get off my lawn that I don't live on. :smug:"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DynamicSloth posted:

And Wolverine only abandoned his students in the Savage Land that one time.

To be fair, he was going to have them be secretly monitored so they were never in danger the whole time. How was he supposed to know his rear end in a top hat brother would time travel into the exercise and attack him and gently caress the whole thing up? (Answer: he should've known because he is Wolverine and terrible things like that happen to him all the time)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

Halfway through Battle of the Atom and loving it so far. I don't know how it would make sense, but I hope the young X-Men never leave. Or at least stick around for a few years.

EDIT:
Just finished it. Pretty rad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In retrospect, I don't have a problem with BotA's central conflict (the whole "kids' free will" vs. "preserving timestream order") thing the story presented, I just think the story should have... come earlier? I guess? I don't know how to phrase that correctly. I guess what I'm trying to say is I think the big conflict on whether to send back the Original 5 should have come way earlier than BotA. Like right near the beginning of All-New X-Men and Beast bringing them back, but I guess everybody wanted a little bit to establish the series before starting a crossover. But as it is, the O5 have been in the present for a while and then something big has to happen to stir a debate. Which by the way, it really shouldn't, because there really shouldn't be a debate after Young Cyclops nearly dies and current Cyclops pulls a Marty McFly and disappears for a few seconds, but still half the cast is acting like this is a big moral gray area. And yes, it turns out that this is the wrong stance later because it's the stance the Brotherhood take, but we don't find out they're the Brotherhood until much later. By then old Cyclops is harboring his young self and Kitty Pryde and the rest of the X-Men are busy fighting each other over conflicting ideologies.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

d00gZ posted:

(Teen Titans v3 #69)

The Face is truly the hero that DC deserves right now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

"There must always be a Wolverine, bub."

Logan dies and Scott starts being Wolverine, walking around on his knees with knives attached to his hands and talking in the worst Canadian accent.

No, he already has a backup available, he just has to ask Laura to glue sideburns to her face.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Every single 100th so far has been entirely skippable.

Yeah but at least they were mildly enjoyable. The X-Men one was outright bad. Very bad.

e: Just so everyone else doesn't have to make a terrible mistake and look into the book, it takes the What If AvX route of instead of anything interesting happening, Jean loving Grey comes out of nowhere and just wipes the plot away into her and Cyclops getting hitched.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 17, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

Stupid plotholes like the letter aside, I could at least follow what the hell was going on. Last time we saw Future Phoenix Quire he was a good guy implied to be on the JGS faculty, but this time he was a bad guy who orchestrated all the Faithful John stuff and was going to... kill his past self? Seriously, someone who knows what this arc was about try to summarize it for me- it flew right over my head in a blur of "huh?"
I'm gonna give it through the Death of Wolverine stuff to see how its status quo changes, but I really feel like dropping it.

I'm pretty sure that it was implied that seeing his future good self as Phoenix back in Battle of the Atom reinspired Quire to be a rebellious prick, leading Phoenix-Quire to be evil.

Or not. gently caress it, this story really was confusing, huh? I don't know, there were a lot of parts of the story I liked (everything with the other X-students in the school, Wolverine naming his Bamf after Prof X), it just never really coalesced into a decent overall story.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

They actually kill the poo poo out of things during Savage Land training.

tbf, the Savage Land training was supposed to be (relatively) safe with Logan supervising from afar, but it just got hijacked by his rear end in a top hat time-traveler brother because Wolverine has the worst luck ever.

Seriously, Wolverine should just punch Spider-Man in the face the next time they're hanging out and Spidey complains about the ol' Parker luck.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Look we can sit here arguing all day about who was right in an event designed specifically around writing both teams to be stupider in order to justify smashing the action figures together but frankly both sides were really really dumb.

Maxwell Adams posted:

I'm not sure how it even made sense for the phoenix to come back after what happened in phoenix: endsong.

Well you see...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MY ABACUS! posted:

I'm sure Wolverine and Storm will only last until just before the next time Jean comes back and then it's that poo poo again.

Maybe Beast will be sad after Wolverine's gone and he'll use his time machine to bring Teen Logan back that way Bendis can write that sweet time-paradox love story.

e: After Cyclops gets back from space sooner or later we can finally rehash every single love triangle story only this time with walking paradoxes. Adult Cyclops can only look on in horror thinking "Christ is this what we were really like?".

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 23, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

It'd because Bendis didn't get a chance to write his own Xavier Is A Dick story so he's doing one now.

It's not his fault, it's just on the checklist of stories that all Marvel writers have to try to do before they can quit, including but not limited to:
  1. Professor X is/was secretly terrible
  2. Hank Pym's redemption
  3. An attempt to make Dr. Strange catch on enough to support an ongoing which will fail
  4. A story where Galactus invades again
  5. A story involving time travel where something goes horribly wrong
  6. Days of Future Past but listen this time its different guys I swear see in this one everybody is dead because...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Scott is totally going to take that mutant in instead of mind wipe him too.

Please, like that guy's not gonna go nuclear or something then blow himself up by the end of the story.

Alternate end: poo poo gets too real and Rachel/Emma/all the other psychics on both teams band together to do the exact same thing Xavier did while Scott stands around yelling about morals and Wolverine says something that doesn't matter because he's a dead man walking.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

He has his own corporation now.

Only Peter Parker would hire Peter Parker.

Please, Parker Industries is so going up in flames. Peter Parker cannot exist in a state of financial security for too long, the laws of writing/editorial simply demand it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

I think/hope QQ's joining up with Cyclops.

God I hope not. I can not see Bendis writing a decent Quire. He'd either lose the endearing part of his "little punkass with a heart of gold" persona and just be an rear end in a top hat, or more likely he'd lose all his characterization and just be another head to spout witticisms like all the other new X-Kids so far.

quote:

Rockslide and the X-Men would still be a way better title, though..

Now this is something I can agree with.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

I meant something among those lines. As in, since Marvel was trying to push Inhumans as the new "thing" instead of mutants and then it just went away, save for Ms Marvel, it was weird that they were included with the mutants in the death camp (even as just corpses)

It's not that weird. I mean, Marvel's still trying to make Inhumans the new "thing" (even if they're not in a bunch of tie-in books), and it only makes sense they'd be there. I mean, Red Skull's a fuckin' Nazi and Inhuman is probably an impure gene to him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't during Civil War Scott and Logan were watching all the poo poo go down and go "Wow that shits hosed, up, glad we aren't involved".

No, that was Siege. Civil War, I'm pretty sure they were all mixed up in.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

On the Uncanny front, color me pleasantly surprised that the Matthew Problem has been tempered (until they need it to flare up again For Drama Reasons) by Cyclops suggesting they sit down and talk. That's the Scott I wanna see. Of course, I imagine he's almost pissing with glee at the thought of having a Class A++ Nuclear Deterrent on his side, but is very good at forcing himself to not think about things he doesn't wanna get picked up by a telepath.

On one hand, I'm glad the problem was solved non-violently, on the other, I'm tired of Cyclops being really smug about his moral high ground all the time and him being right rather than Xavier certainly won't help that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think what has gotten to me more lately, and this is especially true with Bendis' X-verse stuff, is the overuse of the same villains. Mystique is everything and everywhere. Sabretoothe too. And Sabretoothe has had like a bunch of status quo changes that seem to be forgotten about even in recent memory. Didn't Cornell make Sabretoothe the leader of the Hand or something? And now he's back to being a henchman for Mystique.

Yeah but pretty much nobody acknowledged that. Hell, pretty much nobody acknowledged anything from Cornell other than "Wolverine loses healing factor".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Wasnt the nanotech actually tiny spaceships from the microverse, or am I misremembering?

Also good job freezing Wolverine in carboniteadamantium, he should be quite safe in there.

Even stupider, it was a sentient virus. SHIELD recruited Z-list villain The Host to shut it down and prevent all of humanity from being taken over by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If it taaaakes forever, I will wait for you, bub.

• Locked thread