Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Red posted:

Is the Siege Perilous ever explained in detail?

As was said, Magic Hole. Has its origins (as with so much of Claremont's stuff) in the Marvel UK books.

(Semi-)Short form: you go through the Siege Perilous, you pop out somewhere else 'reborn' - you have a new life, typically with no memory of your old one. Apparently reality just gets edited to insert you someplace and you've always been there, like. You're physically unchanged (Psylocke becoming Asian was later explained as something else, not an effect of the Siege Perilous itself), and you retain your powers. When multiple people go through at the same time - even multiple 'selves' in a single body, like Rogue/Ms.Marvel('s brain) - Odd Things happen (see: Nimrod and Master Mold becoming Bastion; Rogue and Ms. Marvel('s brain) getting separate bodies but sharing a single 'life force' so they had to fight over it, et cetera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

Too unrealistic. At no point in your proposed scenario does Dr Strange get jobbed by anybody.

After cyclops and Wolverine shake hands, they both mutter something about how Strange is being a dick. They both smile. Wolverine punches Strange while Cyclops shoots him in the junk with his optic blasts. Then they walk away from him, laughing over how silly he looked, and go to get a beer.

Spider-Woman goes with them, and they start arguing about which one of the two of them has a better shot with her.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

Well the alternative is the AvX What if? cannon. So Tony Stark great hero of AvX or greatest hero of AvX?

Yes. The only possible alternative is the What If? story. There are only two possibilities to any continuity turning point, the one we see, and the one in a What If?. Naturally.

(pssst that is sarcasm any time you have to say 'but a What If said' to prop up an argument it's a dumb argument)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Young Jean implying that she would be totally into old Scott was creepy as gently caress.

It really was. Though Old Scott's "No no no NO no nonono gently caress no" was reassuring, at least.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

krakagar posted:

Did anyone read No More Humans? I quite enjoyed it. It was fun.

I liked it, but I am sick unto death of Beast As Moral Compass when he's pretty clearly abandoned any claim to such by, you know, breaking time.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

OK Octopus posted:

Also straight up willing to kill entire planets as one of the Illuminati, don't forget!

Yeah, I was trying to stick with the events happening in a single 'franchise,' so to speak, which is why I didn't mention his turn in Secret Avengers or his current New Avengers appearances... but even if there were any real grounds for Beast to be The Moral One in the X-Books (there aren't), they get neatly destroyed by his appearances elsewhere.

Not exactly thrilled with Phoenix Ex Machina, either, but Moral Compass Beast just irks me with all his sanctimony.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

He hated the Wasp too but he went out of his way to bring her back right at the end of his run.

Yeah, but he had been the one to take her off the board; that can't be said for Jean Grey.

Bendis does seem, for all his faults, to try and put all the toys back in the toybox in roughly the same condition as he got them out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Age of X was surprisingly good for what it was, and it's pretty small and self-contained, too; Fatal Attractions was baaaaaaaaaad, Inferno was good but is probably dated as hell now - it's very, very Claremont; Mutant Massacre, ditto (though if you haven't read it it's an event that still has a lot of narrative weight in the X-books and it's being referenced in the current Magneto series); X-Cutioner's Song is to be avoided at all cost; X-Tinction Agenda is pretty much Peak Nineties X-Books and isn't very good, IMHO; X-Necrosha was grimdark to the extreeeeeme and suffered from some of the most overwrought 'gloomy, atmospheric coloring' I've seen in ages, though there was a bit in one of the tie-in books where a team ends up in the future and meets future Deadpool that was surprisingly fun.

So, yeah. Age of X is the one 'must-read' in that pile, for my money, followed by Mutant Massacre and Inferno.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Moira's been dead a long rear end time though. And that was a really long time before HoM.

Marvel Time, man. Moira's likely been dead... oh, say three years at the very most.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I don't know that Bendis pulled the Dark Beast out of the hat at the last minute, honestly - the pacing (and I use that term loosely) of this issue leads me to believe that Bendis thought he'd have more time post-Original Sin to play with some of the storylines he'd been setting up, but for whatever reason - he's leaving the X-books earlier than expected, he had a better idea, he looked at his story pacing and said 'poo poo I better wrap this up ASAP,' whatever - he had to truncate quite a bit.

That's the only real explanation I have for several issues of nothing happening followed by one issue of holy poo poo everything happening all at once. I mean, Bendis' run on Avengers dragged in places but even it was paced well for the trades; this is a whole bunch of slowly-ambling storylines suddenly accelerating to breakneck speed before slamming into one another in a glorious crash.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Is this actually happening or were you just speculating?

Speculating. Thus the 'for whatever reason' followed by a bunch of hypothetical reasons. ;)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though why they both didn't want to the school to just be Xavier's mix of the two is beyond me.

Because if they did it wouldn't've been a Schism, duh. Editorial-driven story beats, everyone!

I think this happened to be a pretty good one, though, myself.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I never much cared for Doug Ramsey as a character, but I always loved what he represented - that not every mutant was a superhero-in-waiting. Even the manner of his death - shot by a very ordinary bullet - was mundane, was ordinary (well, as ordinary as you can get while coming near the end of an Island of Doctor Moreau pastiche).

Still, in the actual stories themselves, he was... well, he was boring. The importance of Doug Ramsey never became apparent until his death; at the time, he was just another dude who was useless in the action scenes. Or, as Louise Simonson put it:

quote:

He wasn't fun to draw. He just stood around and hid behind a tree during a fight... Every artist who ever did him said 'Can't we kill this guy?' We would get letters from fans about how much they hated him. We never got any letters from people saying they liked him until he was dead.

Cypher sucks, but by dying he gives us a perspective on him that's much more interesting and truth be told, as much as I've enjoyed his post-resurrection appearances, I'm not entirely convinced that bringing him back wasn't a mistake, because it only reinforces the notion that anyone with a mutant power is bound to be an X-Man someday; it narrows our scope of what being a mutant means.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I will say, I like the idea of the X-Men literally waiting a while before opening up Xavier's will because "well, dude could come back, it's happened before."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

I'm not sure how it even made sense for the phoenix to come back after what happened in phoenix: endsong.

The Phoenix Force, much like everyone who read the book, has decided that Phoenix: Endsong didn't happen because it was terrible.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

It was extremely unclear but I think the nanomachines were only supposed to be affecting Cyclops and Magik.

Yeah, Bendis' Uncanny has had two separate hosed Up Powers plots - one where the Phoenix Five (excep Namor, and including Magneto, for... some reason) are having trouble controlling their powers, and a second one where the Sentinels would show up and the X-Men's powers would get hosed up (even more, I guess). Beast's nanomachine thing was intended to address the latter but not the former.

I think. It's ridiculously unclear.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

If it was nanomachines Magneto would presumably have been able to detect them immediately.

You could make a case - if you were feeling charitable towards Bendis - that Magneto's powers being hosed up post-AvX gave Dark Beast an opportunity to infect him with nanomachines without Magneto noticing, and once he was infected they prevented him from spotting them. Or, given Dark Beast's history as a geneticist, just use non-ferrous nanoassemblers, which is more likely anyways.

But that would be putting in a lot more thought than I suspect Bendis did.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I don't think Scott was being pissy because MUTANT PRIDE or what have you - he was being pissy because he just found out that the guy whose teachings were the most important thing in his life pushed aside those very teachings. That is to say, Professor X never said "it would be immoral to use my psychic powers to basically partially lobotomize another mutant unless it's really important;" Xavier spent decades (okay, in Marvel time maybe a week, but still) teaching Scott Summers that the world was black and white and never even hinted at the existence of grey while simultaneously dipping his proverbial toe into those very grey areas.

No one seems to be saying "Hey, the Professor shouldn't've done this." It's more "Hey, if the Professor was going to do this, it would have been nice if he'd told us about it instead of pretending that it never happened while also telling us to never consider doing that same sort of thing."

(It's OK If A Republican Xavier Does It, basically)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Genetic Toaster posted:

I really want a Quentin Quire / Captain America team-up book now.

Especially now that Cap is literally an old man with a cane.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

rkajdi posted:

Night Thrasher was pretty well done when they got away from "black kid on a skateboard" and made him more "Batman who is getting/got screwed over by an evil Alfred". Luckily, that was basically all his appearances in New Warriors vol. 1, though mostly just the first 25 issues when he led the original team. I think the only time the stupid skateboard stuff was shown was in the Thor issue by DeFalco. I've just finished rereading that first run from when I was a kid, and it's surprisingly good for an early 90s comics.

New Warriors v1 was awesome and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. It was focus-group-tested and indulged in more than a few stereotypes but dammit, that book was awesome.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

rkajdi posted:

It started falling apart when Bagley jumped off (right after the whole Night Thrasher/Tai story ended) but was still good all the way through the big crossover with Night Thrash and Nova around issue 50. Nicieza really got what he was writing here and the art fit perfectly. It just seems to me that moment for a 90s style teen book passed awhile ago. Stuff like Ms Marvel is better for connecting to current kids. Every attempt to relaunch New Warriors seems to sort of miss this, same as most of the teen books done by both Marvel and DC.

Oh, it was very much a product of its time, true - but it was such a good product of its time!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I think the first X-Men issue I bought must have been right after Fall Of The Mutants, because the team had just moved in to their Australian base. I know I read issues before that, but figuring out which ones I had read before buying any issues and which ones I went back and read afterwards is nigh-impossible.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Kitty confessing her love for Logan, Orguns influence or honest feeling?

I don't even think that was Kitty speaking; it was Ogun. Just to gently caress with Logan.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I really liked what Cornell was going for with his Wolverine run, honestly; I thought the themes he was playing with, even some of the character beats like Wolverine being nervous about shaving, were fantastic. But the stories themselves just didn't... ever seem to click. The characters he introduced with the renumbered relaunch never felt like more than cardboard cutouts to me, which didn't help.

I mean, I get that I'm in the minority by actually enjoying Cornell's Wolverine for the most part, but it just... never seemed to really hang together the way I was hoping it might. I think he's just plain better at writing more optimistic characters, honestly.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Logan Legacy #2 was weird, from the incredibly obscure characters used to Seely using X-23's old characterization (not that I'm complaining about that last one).

That actually was the most reasonable part of the issue for me, Laura's characterization; it makes sense that, in trying to deal with Logan's death, she'd revert back to the persona she had before she met the guy - and then realize that, no, that doesn't work out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

X-Force has, after a kinda shaky start, gotten really, really good. Just saying.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mahasamatman posted:

Is anyone reading the Storm book? How is it?

It is aggressively bland.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

There's only been one issue so far. It was an okay issue, but it's still early yet to tell if it's really gonna click.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

Interesting how Bunn just up and ignored Sabretooth's current post-Axis status quo in the latest Magneto.

Also, no loving way is Sabretoothe even comic book dead.

Magneto had gained the services of the Marauders, and the Marauders have been cloned and recloned so many times even they've lost count. Anyways, implication is that that was a cloned Sabretooth.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Continuity wise I'm sure there will be plenty of ways that people will try to rationalize how this could/couldn't work though they've seperated these versions from the original characters that it shouldn't matter. Before leaving Bendis wanted to make his mark and make one of the original characters gay and that's fine. The scene itself is nice and it'll be more telling how people try and handle the issue further down the road with present day Bobby

That last part is the part that makes me nervous, honestly. I really like the scene and I really like how it was presented but I'm not thrilled about the implication that Bobby's time with the X-Men has served as an impromptu Gay Conversion Therapy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Which is really the main point. It's comics, dumb retcons are happening weekly, this one may actually just do some good.

I wish I shared your optimism that it may do some good. Again, I find the implication that the X-Men inadvertently served as Bobby's conversion therapy to be immensely troubling.

I could be wrong. This could all be handled well and carefully and respectfully and it will be awesome. I just don't know that I have enough faith that it will be handled that way.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Welp, having seen the issue...

...eh. It turns out that there's really not much more context for the leaked pages than we've seen, so actually seeing the pages in the context of the full issue really isn't any more illuminating than the spoiler-barred discussion we've been having for the past couple of days. I look forward to another month or so of argument. Joy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The final issue of Spider-Man and the X-Men was a delight.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Chill Penguin posted:

OK this sounds pretty dope actually.

It is not don't be misled

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

Considering he was able to bring back Colossus when Morision wasn't Whedon used who he wanted to use, most writers do.

The roster hasn't changed much because writers want to use the characters they grew up with or consider classic not because some evil editorial fiat has locked it in place.

As I understand it - and this is secondhand and thirdhand info, take it with a grain of salt - the way the process currently works, at least for a 'secondary' X-book like Astonishing eventually became or X-Force or what have you is that when the writers are pitching their book they're actively discouraged from staking claims to specific characters. Instead they're asked to look at types of character, so that you'd go in saying "I want my core team to be a telepath, a blaster, a brick, and a flier, and also someone with Unresolved Family Issues" or what have you. It's only once you're actually signed to a contract and everything is getting set up that you actually choose which characters you slot in to each category.

Essentially, if you pitch an idea with Emma Frost but Emma is already spoken for by another writer, your pitch gets discarded; if you pitch an idea with a telepath, you can say "Oh, no Emma? Okay, we'll use Karma" or whatever.

I don't know if that's the kind of process that was being used at the time Whedon was writing Astonishing, and I doubt that more-established writers have to bother with it, but I thought it was an interesting bit to toss out now that we're in a "how do you think creator X picked his roster" discussion.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Unmature posted:

Is Austen's run worth reading at all?

NO NO NO NO NO.

Unless you hate yourself and the X-Men and comics in general. Then sure.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Bendis has never been good with pacing. He's always done the 'slow burn slow burn oh poo poo I have three issues left better wrap this up ASAP' bit.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rick posted:

There were definitely people on this forum who loved Fraction's run while it was ongoing, the fact alone there's proof of multiple people liking it makes it a pretty wide gap from Austen.

I do wonder if another artist besides Land would've helped my perception of it. I wouldn't have been so immediately negative towards it. But I hated so much of what his run, and the stuff that I didn't think was awful was stuff were basically retellings of 90s X-Factor stories.

I really think Fraction's run wasn't all that bad, and that our recollection of it is tainted by Fear Itself (which was one in a long list of examples of a smaller story that suffered immeasurably when it was made to balloon out to a linewide crossover) and by Greg Land's art.

I mean, it wasn't Morrison or anything, but it wasn't bad. I do wonder how many of his stories were essentially retooled story ideas that he never got the chance to do with The Order after it was cancelled so criminally, though.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

krakagar posted:

She was all set to take the Pheonix force in AvX, until Tony Stark attacked it and the Pheonix 5 got it instead. Which I think is a great story for Hope - all her life she's been told she's special, she was the first post M-day mutant to be born, and then it was snatched away from her so Cyclops could gently caress it all up. What a bummer!

Waitwaitwait, Tony Stark shot the Cosmic Being Of Immense Power And Import, and Cyclops was the one that hosed things up? poo poo, all he did was be in the blast radius. It's not like he went in with the plan of getting possessed by a cosmic entity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I actually really like Iceman being gay.

I just think Bendis did a terrible job of telling that story.

• Locked thread