Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Picnic Princess posted:

2spooky I flew with them 5 times last year :spooky:

My mom has mused that she'd like to see the Great Wall someday, she could have been on that plane! Close calls like this really make you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kekeke! posted:

An acquaintance of mine was on that flight.

The prophecy is fulfilled.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Vertical Lime posted:

Oil slicks were spotted quite possibly from the plane

But half of them were Chinese jobs

They can't keep shipping ARE JOBS to china if there are no chinese people left. :getin:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rad Russian posted:

Well new CNN update says radar showed that plane actually turned to head back before the crash. If true that adds even more to the mystery. If you're in a catastrophic failure and in a free-fall you wouldn't be able to turn the plane to head back.

I still can't believe they can have an always on WiFi on these planes but no direct stream back to the airline of the cockpit video/voice just in case.

Too bad they make you turn off your phone. It is likely that several people had phones with GPS tracking that could have told them exactly where the phone was when it stopped working.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rocks posted:

Realtalk: it must loving suck to have someone you know die in a mysterious plane crash/supposed terrorist attack, like you're never going to see the body ever or say bye. :(

You could always adopt a crab or lobster caught in the area of crash. Pretty good chance the bottom feeders munched on your loved one.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BlueChocolate posted:

don't they track cell phones all the time in criminal cases/missing person cases? so how is it not possible here

There are no cell towers in the ocean.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

demonR6 posted:

I've already posted on the websites of the major carriers that they should start looking into this so there is coverage.. everywhere.

It's kind of funny that cell phones have become so ubiquitous in our daily lives that people forget there are places with no coverage.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zoom. Enhance.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Daimo posted:

Wow people are going nuts over this like its a safe thread.

Are you saying there is a smaller missing plane inside?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Disconnecticus posted:

This was supposed to be the possible range of the flight, and since it came off the internet randomly it will be absolutely correct and accurate.

Despite electronics failures the plane landed safely in Australia. Everyone onboard was immediately killed by wildlife.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

redshirt posted:

Hey I haven't read the thread, so has there been a long and involved :lost: roleplay yet?

If not, I call Sayid.

Sorry but you have to be Hurly.

We all have to be Hurly.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Retail Slave posted:

It's at the bottom of the ocean. If it had landed anywhere where there was enough land to do so, we'd have known about it.

Freaky as poo poo, though. My mind keeps wanting to say "terrorism", but someone would have taken responsibility for that by now.

Frankly "terrorism" would be less scary than "incompetence".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bondematt posted:

It was more of the news was entirely covered with it for about a month

LOL, you watch news

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

texasmed posted:

I don't think some of yall really understand what happens when an aircraft slams into the ocean. It breaks up into a million pieces, some of which sink, the rest floats. Your socks would float on the water waiting to be washed up on a distant shore, or for a military ship to find them.

If they were wearing buoyant athletic shoes maybe their feet will was ashore in a few months.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

no, actually, i dont remember that.

You missed something special then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqYX-qI9oxw

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Emanuel Collective posted:

where s the plane

over there

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BlueChocolate posted:

in other news Russia is taking over eastern europe but nevermind that let's just talk about a stupid plane instead

Lets be honest here. Nobody really gives a gently caress about eastern europe, and frankly the Cold War Balance of Terror was a lot more interesting than what we have now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

samizdat posted:

I'm loving jealous that he had a job that he loved so much that he'd pretend to do it while he was at home. How many people have dreams about being at work and wake up in the morning completely pissed off? Not this guy. Way to go, dude.

He probably didn't sim boring rear end 8 hour passenger flights. If a cab driver plays a lot of F1 racing games you wouldn't say he's doing what he loves because he's a professional driver. Maybe he really wanted to be a stunt pilot, and one day he just snapped and started trying to do loop de loops with the 777.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

fuseshock posted:

Apparently its a "number of objects" that might indicate a debris field... watch it turn out to be nothing :(

It's worse than nothing. It turns out that debris field is actually from the Fukushima, and is chock full of all the deadly radiation idiots on facebook have been warning us about. :stonk: When they go to investigate the ones not killed by a deadly dose of radiation will surely be killed by irradiated sea monsters.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bubble-T posted:

haha why would anyone do this

Perhaps they believe in The Secret(tm) and if we all imagine really hard the plane will come home.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

rocket_man38 posted:

I wish I had a cool job where I got to fly though :(

Me too. Maybe you would have been on this flight and you could tell us what happened to you.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Did they ever find Amelia Earhart?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

rocket_man38 posted:

See: the horrible episode entitled "the 37s" from Star Trek Voyager.

No. Never again. Never again.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Disconnecticus posted:

Okay so Malaysia said they're dead. This means what? The people who know what they're doing aren't going to stop, I would hope.

I'm hoping this is just Malaysia saying, "gently caress it, we're out."

Searching can continue, but it is less urgent. It is a recovery mission, not a rescue mission.

Mainly it seems to be telling the families to give up hope. Daddy isn't coming home. Hold your memorial services and get on with your lives.

Also probably for legal purposes. If they are legally declared dead you can start collecting life insurance payouts. Widow's pensions. That sort of thing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mstrkrft posted:

So is this what it's come down to in GBS? Chinatown posts once per page "GUYS ITS GONE LOL" and you all shitpost the same thing around it?

im ok with this. 5

Yes. It's going to be like the Our Maddie thread and we'll just keep going round and round for years until the mods finally put the thread out of its misery.

gonna be great

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

post in this thread each day a 777 is still missing

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mdemone posted:

Now look here. I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I've just been informed that this plane had lifeboats on it (which may be but probably aren't the orange things they're spotting now).

What in the eternal poo poo is a got-drat jumbo jet going to do with a Christing lifeboat when it's hitting the water at 500 befuckled mph.

Nothing, most of the time. But the 1 in 1000 crash where passengers do somehow survive and wind up in the water, there better be life rafts and flotation device seat cushions. Otherwise people will be mad, "You couldn't even spring for a rubber raft? You suck!" Nobody is going to be sympathetic that it is basically wasting money for the airline to fly around rafts that can never be used.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah, even if they crash right near takeoff and you'll only be in the water for an hour, an hour in a lifeboat is more pleasant than an hour in the water.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

7thBatallion posted:

It's gone, guys.

Maybe it is just stuck in a labyrinth?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big Beef City posted:

You'd think the plane would have run out of fuel by now

Don't worry, it will come home when it gets hungry.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ironed Idol posted:

I bet it made it to antartica, no one ever looks there.

I hope they find them soon then. It is autumn in antarctica, it will be getting chilly soon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gigawhite posted:

they shouldn't have found the plane. as long as the plane wasn't found the people weren't dead. now that the plane is found, they are definitely dead. thanks for killing them. gently caress you. sometimes you should just let these things go brainiacs

It's okay, China can just make some replacement people. They have lots!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cole posted:

real talk why does the US give such a poo poo about a missing foreign plane

It is a mystery. Everyone loves a good mystery. The fact that few important/white people are involved lets us speculate without dragging in american politics bullshit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FlamingLiberal posted:

There were three Americans on it.....

They left The Land of the Free, so I doubt they were real americans.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gnarlyhotep posted:

that's another unsolved mystery, why 3O thought anybody here would know anybody on that plane

Because some goon always does? For example,

Kekeke! posted:

An acquaintance of mine was on that flight. Everyone around me who knew her is in a sort of denial, fixating on the fact that the plane is still declared missing. I don't have the heart to remind them there is almost no chance the plane is somewhere safe in one piece. :smith:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

James Polk posted:

So what I'm getting from this is the Indian Ocean is loving full of black boxes. How many planes are down there potentially? We could very well be solving several mysteries here instead of just MH370. I bet the flight that didn't hit the Pentagon is down there. It's an airplane graveyard.

I think you're onto something. The real mystery isn't what happened to this plane, but why no one at all cares about or even notices the dozens of other flights that must be crashing into the ocean every year. :tinfoil:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

myshl0ng posted:

I hope they find it fast so we can see the dead bodies

Lobsters already ate the dead bodies. Eat a lobster, maybe you'll find a fingernail inside!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zogo posted:

The rail gun can shoot projectiles at a speed of ~5,369MPH supposedly. Still not powerful enough to shoot enemies in space as that'd require speed ~25,200MPH.

Is that what happened to the plane?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Learn to grow gills, losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SaltLick posted:

dont go on asian modes of transportation is what i've learned in the last couple months

Not just asian. Never travel by car, a bus, boat or by rail. And don't travel by plane.
And don't travel at all. Built a bomb shelter basement with titanium walls.

• Locked thread