Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I managed to get a work from home job (with 40-60% travel). My commute is about 10 seconds and it was the greatest career move I made and helped my sanity immensely. I could never go back to working somewhere else and having to commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Moneyball posted:

Seeing as they got away with it the first time, I don't know about that.

Probably meant the guns. Although they have a chance of looking the wrong way down the barrel when the robbers come back

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If the insurance is because you're concerned about theft having it parked on the street, consider removing some small-but-essential part to disable the car while it's sitting.

From the late 90s to around 2014 or so, may parents used to have a 1992 Honda Civic that they'd park in front of the house. They'd put a club on it, but that didn't stop the first theft attempt. After that, they emptied the car of anything valuable, removed a relay and left the doors unlocked. There were 2 or 3 more attempts to steal it and it always ended up just down the street

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Maybe the olds wouldn't be working anymore if their kids didn't have to live with them and were paid a decent wage that allowed them to buy a house/pay a reasonable rent and get this, afford to pay their student loans.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Moneyball posted:

For the people making six figures yet still struggling to keep the bills paid.

I imagine people that own Porsche Panameras are this variety of stupid. You'd have to be to buy that abomination and they only start at about 80k. I see them everywhere

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Can someone explain why claiming the lowest amount possible and getting a tax return is looked down upon by everyone besides 'tax free loan to the gov't is bad'.

I used to be horrible with money and enjoyed getting a huge tax return. Now, I'm recently married, excellent salaries, financially stable with a solid emergency fund, investment accounts, 800+ FICOs, great 401ks and a plan to have all loans (car/student loans) and house paid off within 12 years.

In my head it all equates to the same, whether they take more from my check now and give more back to me in April, or whether I keep more now and they don't give back as much, or I have to pay some in April. What are the benefits to changing my withholding aside from 'gov't bad'?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The place I used to work at had career research participants. They move from city to city doing these long term tests in phase I clinics. They all have track marks not from drug use, but from constantly getting blood taken. We had one that was 60 days in a research unit, but it paid $10k.

One person ended up writing a 14 page manifesto about how they didn't like everything about the experience.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Get a promotional APR on a new cash back card. Chase Freedom and Citi Double Cash both have good cash back and a long rear end 0% APR period

This should be in the OP if it's not already.

For advanced mode, if you really want the points and don't want to pay for the APR or a fee, put the charge on your rewards card and apply for a long period 0% APR & 0 fee balance transfer card like the Chase Slate, BofA BankAmericard or the Barclaycard Ring and then transfer the balance. NOTE: you can't transfer a balance to the same bank - i.e. You can't charge it to chase and try to transfer the balance to a chase slate .

And for anyone else who doesn't know, you can also do that to pay off high interest loans. I paid off a previously $8,000 8% APR private loan by putting opening and putting it on a Citi Simplicity and paid it off over 18 months and I ate the 3% fee.

When I learned about the 0 fee cards, I paid off $22,000 in private student loans that were at 5.8% using the BankAmericard with no fee and 0%APR over 15 months.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

If you were to have entered bankruptcy for any unfortunate reason during that time, my understanding is that upon discovery of debts and payments and credit history, the amount of the student loans which were paid off via the credit card would stick with you because it would normally be non-dischargeable (and that trying to pay them off via credit card is like trying to get around that with a loophole).

Is that everyone else's understanding too?

There's probably some caveats in there, so yeah, maybe don't do that if you may have to declare bankruptcy in the 15-18 months of repayment. Also, and I'm stressing make sure you pay the full amount prior to the end of the promo period

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah, I'll consult an attorney, I was just curious if anyone else had experience with it since I doubt we're the first couple in history to have very different views on finances (she views her paycheck as "this is how many dollars I can spend this month" and her retirement plan is "I like work, why would I want to retire?".

With "financial strain" being the #1 cause of divorce, I figure it's better to stay ahead of it than not.

Lol :sever:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I guess here's a new question - does anyone else here have a partner that doesn't have the exact same financial mindset as they do?

I did and she’s now my ex-wife. In fact, I was wondering if you were going to marry her judging by what you’ve said ITT, because everything matches up. Although, she’s not a cat person, so I guess not. That’s good news for you.

Polar financial mindsets like yours/hers are going to be rough to try to combine. After my current wife and I got together we had the financial talk and the most we disagree about is how much to save vs how much debt to pay off. It helps that we have pretty similar salaries though.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Do it, I did it and it got me my job now. LinkedIn is essentially a networking app, so use it for that purpose!

Even if she says no, maybe ask if you can get the name of someone that can refer you or at least pass your info on.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Who can claim the most shameful salary/price of car ratio in here? I'm about to make an offer on a car that's 70% of my annual income and can already feel the remorse :thumbsup:

You picking up a brand new sweet Mitsubishi Mirage?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sundae posted:

I send you a hearty oh go to hell from the bay area, where my rent is 46% of my take-home in spite of GP-level income. :colbert:

He said he’s in Iowa, so he’s already there man

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

f1av0r posted:

But yeah., the amount of change and my lack of experience I think is going to create some friction.

Oh, most definitely. Good luck. I’ll be interested to hear how it goes over with the other staff.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sirotan posted:

For new AND existing Ally bank customers, they are offering a 1% bonus on cash moved to Ally (up to $1k), but you have to opt in before the 21st: https://allypaybacktime.com/

So as an Ally customer, I’d have to withdraw everything, register and the push back in?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

nwin posted:

Need a quick reality check:

In the midst of the government shutdown, USAA (my bank) is offering certain individuals the opportunity to take out a one-year loan at .01% interest as long as monthly payments are setup through them.

As long as I ensure there is money in the account to make the monthly payments and get the loan paid off in one year, is there any reason I shouldn't take a loan out for $10k, throw it in my Ally savings account, and reap the profit of 1.99% in interest over a year on 10k? There is no cap on how much I can take the loan out for, just a minimum amount of $2500.

Did you get a targeted offer for this? I’m a USAA member as well, but I’d definitely do this if I have the opportunity.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

nwin posted:

Yeah, I'm in one of the affected organizations that won't be getting paid on the 1st. I don't have any debt to refinance but I'll definitely take advantage of throwing it in Ally or something like that.

Gotcha. Good luck!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Got a surprise notice today that we’ve paid enough towards our mortgage principle to have the PMI drop off :toot:

We knew it was coming up since we’ve been allocating an additional $400-$1000/mo to it, but figured we’d have to fight with the bank to get it taken off. It was nice that they just did it without us asking.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What in that post above sounded like she would make any attempt at paying that down sooner, or even doing anything to mitigate her already insane spending?

Also, GGGC - why didn’t you post this in the BWM thread? That’s where it belongs.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I know a list like that was discussed in the BWM thread at some point because that’s where I saw all of them.

Bad blood
Barbarians at the Gate
The smartest guys in the room
The big short

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

My awesome, soon to retire, boss wants me to stay at their house while they are away on vacation for 3 weeks.

Take care of their dog, take in the mail, water plants, etc.

What should I charge a day? $50?

We used to pay our pet sitter $300-400 per week in a L/MCOL city. Plus all the booze that she could drink. What you want to charge can vary widely depending on where you live and what they want you to do.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The economy is poo poo and almost nobody gets to do the job that actually excites them.

Find the jobs that have the highest combination of pay and demand in your area. Pick the one that is least abhorrent to you.

Nursing is a good choice.

Am nurse, can confirm.

Also, nursing as a career isn’t a chain to the beside. There are so many things you can do, with options to work from home, just because you’re a nurse. It opens doors that you wouldn’t have had otherwise, or enables you to get through them easier.

I didn’t last a year working in a hospital, but I moved to research. Very easy, low stress, better pay than beside. I have a job that doesn’t exactly excite me, but I do enjoy it and the opportunities it provides.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I didn’t want to break the goon’s heart, but I’ve heard the same - pharmDs are a dime a dozen, it’s a saturated market, pay is falling and they’re working ridiculous hours unless they’re in a hospital and unfortunately those jobs are hard to come by.

Good luck goon

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

NPs only recently regulated a PhD for NP, it used to be a masters, which is where all the clinical work gets done. The rest is research and leadership and other crap, so you can do it online. Kind of like how you can have a RN with an Associates degree and a RN with a BSN.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

There are PhD programs in nursing but you are talking about a Doctorate of Nursing Practice which is not the same thing. A DNP is an additional terminal degree for advanced nurse practitioners such as NPs CRNAs etc but is not required to practice in any state at present.

You’re correct, not required (yet)

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sundae posted:

Just look for general trends and don't focus on the individual content of any one review. Also, ignore anybody who sounds batshit crazy. They probably are.

"Layoffs are constant and my boss is a bitch."

"Great place except for the layoffs. Some stability would be nice."

"Work life balance was great until my boss was replaced and now it sucks."

"Threat of layoffs ever looming, and the cafeteria stopped serving hummus."

"gently caress you gently caress your mother my boss A.B (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) backstabbed me and blocked my promotion they just want you to fail here."

Takeaway: Lots of layoffs and a reorg. Nothing else. :p

We really ought to teach critical thinking in high school. It’s amazing how much it’s allowed me to increase my pay (and get away with slacking off).

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

Anyone here ever been in a press conference or launch event? I'll be helping out with one on Tuesday. I'm not going to be on stage, but will be fielding questions from the press. Any tips besides "stick to the script"?

I feel like someone recently asked almost this exact same question in one of the threads I read and got some good answers. Maybe the business travel one, or the corporate one, I can’t remember. Maybe someone else remembers and can link the post.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

asur posted:

I haven't seen an ESPP yet that will allow selling immediately. There's generally a 1-2 day lag for the shares to arrive in your account. The risk is minimal if the discount is 5% or more, but there is some.

Mine is like that. Every 6 months at the end of February and August, my ESPP buys shares the last day of the month at 15% discount, I put in the sell order immediately (I think I can even do it day of purchase) and then immediately sell the next morning in Fidelity.

I max my ESPP as much as I can, which is 10% of salary.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sirotan posted:

If you are looking to get into IT and are already living in Madison/Verona, you should throw your resume at Epic. They are always hiring and take people from all kinds of backgrounds. Training experience would be a plus here as well.

Edit: didn't re-read your original post. Epic does have remote locations/sends people out to work full time at customer locations. Still might not hurt to apply.

My wife just completed her Epic certification while her hospital undergoes transition to Epic’s EMR. If you’re looking to work for Epic in WI, it sounds like a pretty good corporate IT gig.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Is the BWM thread on a forum adventure? I can't find it anywhere.

It’s in coupons.

Use your bookmarks and never lose your favorite threads!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

taqueso posted:

Use your bookmarks and never notice new threads! :eng99:

Beware the dangers of only using your bookmarked threads! :science:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I had no idea that was a thing. I may hit the cap for the first time ever this year.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

There’s also an Indiana University of PA.

Is Western Governors university really “highly regarded”? One of the dumbest people I know (like genuinely not smart) was raving about how he was getting his IT degree from there and while it may be real and accredited - if they took that guy, I can’t imagine it being “highly regarded”.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I think my sister just refinanced for a 15yr fixed at 2.66%.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Coco13 posted:

If you blow up the moon someone will contact you shortly.
edit: better yet, write your phone number on the moon with a laser. If you're worried about privacy, you can create a Google Voice number for this purpose.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Trabant posted:

I was about to post how I'd expect a sr. mech engineer to earn in the 120k range here (Austin, TX) but then checked and saw numbers in the 90k range on Glassdoor.

Is mechanical engineering just on the lower-end of the salary scale and my own (semiconductor) engineering experience skewed it?

What makes software engineers able to demand such a premium over other kinds of similarly experienced engineers in other fields?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

jassi007 posted:

Does anyone have advice for navigating a situation where you have been recently promoted at your current workplace but may also be accepting a position at another company? I know that ultimately in the US with it being an at will state it doesn't matter, but I'd like to not burn bridges, but I don't see how this won't go over poorly. I may literally be putting in my notice 1-2 weeks after an announcement of my promotion went out to the company I am currently with.

I'm in this same situation. It's all business. Last time I left less than a month after a promotion and the company still hired me back, so unless you don't give them notice you shouldn't be burning any bridges.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

I know a few people who switched careers fairly late in life. It was mostly into computer touching but they went on a boot camp and got some certs and applied for jobs. You can do it but it really depends on what kind of job you are wanting to do and not just jumping at something that comes a long. A good example of that are those "Sales" jobs that are really just cold calling people and dealing with pissed off lovely people.

I know a bartender that did a 6 month coding academy and got a white collar IT support type job. That seems to be the consensus on how people should progress to white collar work now because it seems to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's not rigs, which are usually rotated in weeks (you spend two weeks off rig, two weeks on). it's container ships where you spend months on ship, and then months off.

Yeah, an uncle was a first officer for a shipping company. He made great money, but was away for like 6 months at a time. I imagine being in the navy is much the same except they're not paid as well.