Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TremendousMajestic posted:

Scamtank will have your rear end for this.

And he didn't even bold the funny parts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there Honey? Can you make mead?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Angela Christine posted:

Why do you hate fun?

Yeah, just play this in the background and run with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UbGtjnluyY

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

canepazzo posted:

It's no DF2014, but Meph at least released 5.0 Masterwork. Succubi!

Lost Girl: The Video Game

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Would anyone like to sum up what's going to be new in this release?

Your dwarves will never wear pants again

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

nielsm posted:

I'm guessing it's mainly to allow races with e.g. three sexes in a rock-paper-scissors configuration: Sex A and B together produce sex C kids, sex A and C together produce sex B kids, and sex B and C together produce sex A kids. Maybe. Or other kinds of asymmetric sexuality.

It's really there so that on top of everything else that is a little skeevy about Succubus forts, they can all be lesbians now too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Prism posted:

It was inevitable.

Now we just need :iwi: so this can just turn into pages of emotes back and forth

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

nutranurse posted:

The moment Toady adds in any kind of mechanic where you can have ownership over other sentient creatures the DF mod forums are gonna get real ugly real fast.

Followed by the Gor mods. Unless that's what you meant.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TildeATH posted:

It's a mod for dwarfs with penises and rape.

That poor, poor emotional circumstance processor

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Michaellaneous posted:

Make deeper pits.
Fill them with lava.

Can things climb upside down? Like could you make your pits bigger one z-level down:

code:
--| |--
|     |
-------

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Malcolm posted:

Dwarf Fortress kickstarter, I can smell it from here.

Stretch Goal: I'll use version control

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe you should cut down the tree

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I convert it to black bronze

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

VideoWitch posted:

Screw pumps automatically purify water, but if that water touches a square that salt water has ever touched it turns into salt water

U-joints clean it too, don't need to bother with pumps. Just take your ocean water, drop it 2+ z levels, then let the pressure push it back up another stack and the water is magically clean

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I didn't notice I undercut a light aquifer for like two hours and the only damage was a little mud on the floor, it never progressed past "evaporates instantly"

My vast artificial underground lake on the other hand had some unfortunate water pressure issues vis-a-vis my well

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you have no sand on your embark, is there any non caravan way to get it?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My biggest annoyance with use closest material is the inability to add any filters to it. No, I don't want wooden walls in my magma workshop.

I also wasn't expecting all my new smelters to be made of gold

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Related question, why are instruments the most complicated examples of dwarven engineering? I'm halfway done with a 75 z-level magma pump and I still can't figure out how to make a gong

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bees everywhere posted:

I just saw something interesting on Reddit: apparently if you build a bridge to an island, it becomes accessible to caravans for future embarks: https://i.redd.it/ny3ukq8w4d6a1.png

That's weird, I started on an island barely larger than the 4x4 embark and I get migrants and dwarf caravans

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Based on my island you'll only get the yearly dwarven caravan

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

resistentialism posted:

Crossbow non-lethality

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you put a refuse stockpile next to a hole they'll throw trash into the hole

Ideally that hole is >3 z levels deep with magma at the bottom

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Clocks posted:

Speaking of dumping and holes, I have a one-tile channel down to some magma and occasionally the dwarves dumping stuff in catch on fire and die. I guess the solution is to have them dump from further up?

Yeah, you get magma mist when things burn, hence needing a deep pit

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
On the topic of deep pits, do things eventually fall far enough to explode, or if you make the effort to dig a complete 80 z level hole and have people on the surface throw logs in, will they just collect at the bottom for easy retrieval?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sebmojo posted:

I'm surprised no-one has been talking about burrowing STRAIGHT TO HELL Is that still in the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSXcx-aiUok

Twisted logic is doing that live right now

e: nevermind he just found the clowncar

Azhais fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 18, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What does "being extravagant" even mean

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
In theory if you make large clothes they'll get dressed

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nessus posted:

I also wish to know this, but I imagine if you crank out some knick knacks that might work?

Also I think elves wear stuff in the same size range as dwarfs. It's hunams who require Large clothing.

I was reading somewhere that one of the races is a happy medium. Like if you make all your clothes for lizard men it will be properly sized for both dwarves and humans

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are there ambushes for travelers like RimWorld, or will they generally just go and come back?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is the water so all the arrows wash to one end?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can you still just entomb your vampires in spectacular offices and make them eternal bookkeepers?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Install the cage somewhere, then when you click the cage there's a checkbox

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Light aquifers barely even qualify as an annoyance so I wouldn't let them scare you.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are alerts ever usable? "Combat" being everything from someone falling out of a tree to hunters killing innocent capybara to demons running amok in your tavern means I already miss things because it's always up. The cancellation notices from work orders means that icon is there permanently with dozens of lines. Other than ALERT, DIPLOMACY, PETITION, and the red eyes I find everything that pops up on the left to be completely useless due to alert fatigue

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bold Robot posted:

Related to the above, I have a ton of bags of various materials that my dwarves refuse to haul out of my existing depot. I have a stockpile set to accept furniture --> bags. Is there something I'm missing?

I'd also like to know the answer because I've started just dismantling the trade depot after each visit

e: from Reddit. Goblin visitor turns out to be a werelizard, but it just hangs out in the tavern now

Azhais fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 19, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Never have I related to a dwarf more

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Had my first vampire. Legendary bone doctor and surgeon. Makes me sad to imprison him

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
When those happen do I need to manually interview everyone in my drat fort or will the guard captain actually do things on his own?

The grand "someone had their blood drained!" mystery was easy to solve because you just accuse the one monochrome dwarf, but everything else seems like it'd just be tedious

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Will smelters and such work through bars? I knew pumps did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Love books about axe