Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I don't even see it as a matter of efficiency, I just enjoy it more. Each floor takes on a distinct purpose or character that just makes more sense to me. The fact that it's more efficient wasn't something I considered until much later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Did Maia ever stop being poo poo?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Do dwarves just love their entire family by default? C'mon, Toady, where's the domestic disputes?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

I haven't been able to find this, but is there a way to place furniture of a specific quality? I just had a mason create a masterwork coffer and I wanted to put it in his bedroom because I am benevolent and want to encourage more masterworks. I can't figure out a way nor can I find a way on the internets.

Since haulers automatically pick the nearest item to the destination, you could create a stockpile directly next to where you want the coffer that only accepts masterwork coffers, forbid masterwork quality from your other furniture stockpiles, and it'll end up there. Then when you ask someone to bring a coffer, they'll pick that one.

You could also do something like forbid the rest of your coffers when you give the setup command, but it could be hard to find them all.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

PublicOpinion posted:

When building things you can hit 'x' to view the list of individual items and pick your masterwork ones from there.

:stare:

:smith:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Is now the time to re-download this and give it another swing after a couple years of hiatus? or are there plans to eliminate any military-crippling, dwarf-murdering bugs in the next couple months?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

packetmantis posted:

It would be great if people would actually skim the thread or, heaven forbid, read it, so we don't get five "shud i download lol" posts per page.

I read & in fact post in this thread, chief. I'm asking how likely it is that Toady will be releasing new versions with significant fixes soon. God forbid somebody ask a question about DF in the DF thread!

reignofevil posted:

We are still firmly in the "Bug-Fix" portion of the cycle.

Thanks.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Met posted:

Aquifers should just be removed. We have underground tunnels now which provide water and the same tunnels make a Z-level roadblock that's much more fun to work around.

I mean, they'd be perfectly workable and kinda atmospheric if Toady just slowed down the drip rate to a fraction of a percent of the current output.

Is that moddable? Would it be possible to make an aquifer wall generate one unit of water every hundred ticks or something instead of whatever outrageous number it is now?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

If you really really want to reclaim your flooded hospital, you can build a number of wind-powered pumps upstream and temporarily drain the river to the point that you can plug the channel and try again. Just make sure those pumps have somewhere to drain to so they don't flood something else.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

If we've got people developing custom ASIC hardware to mine Bitcoin, how is it possible that nobody has developed the world's most powerful single-core processor to run DF?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

If a military mom swings her baby and the blow kills whatever she was attacking... does the baby get a kill history?

Or for that matter, if one combatant is knocked into another by a strong blow and the impact kills one of them, who gets credit for that kill?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I've always enjoyed the rickety, often unwieldy interface. It's kind of like writing by hand instead of on a computer—it would be annoying if I had to do everything that way, but it's nice in certain contexts because it slows you down and gives you a little more time to think about things.

Besides, once you memorize the commands, it's not really any harder to control than something like end-game WoW.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Also note that depending on your level of ~immersion~ for this gimmick fort, you can just make any type of stone flux stone with minimal effort and make whatever metals you want spawn in all types of stone layers with a little more. Trees are always available via the caverns, so if you make these mods and embark on a terrifying mountain volcano, all you'll be missing is sand (which you might also be able to make any layer count as, I'm not sure).

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

I regularly generate max size worlds with max embark sites and whatnot. Although I have yet to do it beyond SHORT time length.

edit: How fast do all of you usually burrow for the caverns? I wanna try embarking on a site with no above ground wood but I'm scared of the caves :ohdear:

You can burrow down immediately and just plug up the hole. Underground mushrooms don't need a connection to the caverns, just for the caverns to have been discovered.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Hey, I started playing this game recently because I've always liked the stories and decided I might as well get started. I am still on my first fort, which at one point had 80+ dwarfs, until a werejackal attacked and soon I had multiple dwarfs turning into werejackals and I had to look up in the wiki how to lock doors. Eventually I put all the werejackals into a squad and sent them to fight everything on the map, which killed all but one of them and he's currently locked in the hospital and is on constant "rest" despite being healed, he even refused to get up when Goblins sieged the castle and killed like 20 dwarfs, so hopefully he starves or dehydrates soon, I had to build a second hospital in the middle of what was supposed to be a farm plot. At this point I have like 10 adult dwarfs and 15 kids or babies left (this includes 4 adults from the latest migrant wave) so hopefully I can build up the population again before some other werething wipes me out. Thanks for the guide on the first page, between that and the dwarf fortress wiki I had enough info to get started and then look up what I needed. I took too long to figure out metal making (by then everyone was too dead to do anything with it, but maybe I'll have enough dwarfs to get that going again if I don't die) and I have a hallway with 100 coffins in it.

Notable things that have happened:
I was attacked by a were-squirrel that had one victim, both of which disappeared from the map until I realized they had dropped down one level and were at the bottom of a lake somehow, where their bodies remain to this day.

A dwarf gave birth to a baby who somehow was in a tree, she could never find him and now he is a ghost. Good job, tree baby.

It took FOREVER to get the stupid dwarfs to make alcohol for some reason, then they finally did so. I have no idea why the manager kept cancelling the jobs then stopped cancelling them.

The dwarven traders had all their wagons disappear somehow(they appear to be in the trading post but are listed as "missing", so they and all their crap is strewn all around the place. They didn't even help when the goblins attacked, all they are doing is clogging up space in the view units tabs. Is this a bug or am I supposed to do something?

My fort is poorly designed because I was learning as I go, and I already know how I'll lay out things differently next time. I also haven't figured out how to use traps yet, so that will be my next big project. I am currently using no mods or tilesets, but I might use both after another fort or two, we'll see.

One other thing, many of the animals brought by various waves of migrants eventually starved, am I correct in guessing they should have been assigned to an area to graze? I put the latest crop of animals in a pasture outside (along with a chimp I bought from the elves) so we'll see if that keeps them from starving.

Brewing: maybe you were out of barrels?

Traders: now is the time to learn how to pump magma up from the magma sea to solve this problem.

Tilesets: I would recommend getting a square version of the default ASCII, because despite what haters might say, DF is supposed to look like this, but not at the weird stretched aspect ratio the non-square tiles give it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

OK it's time. IT'S TIME.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Sounds like you could start treating Adventure Mode like a first-person version of Fortress Mode, which might make me finally want to play it!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Man, I thought that was just for artifacts. Yikes!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Disappointed that the three four-pointed stars are not screaming.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I won't be satisfied until the screaming is also screaming.

And that screaming is screaming as well.

All is screaming.

SCREAM.

This would require Toady to implement scream elements, which would require atmospheric vibration, which would require aerodynamics...

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gibbo posted:

That would result in a pressure rework, so I could finally make my water elevators.

God I've been wanting this since the first time I tried to build a pump stack. Why have 300 pumps when you could just have one pump with 400 power spouting a magma geyser up into the overworld?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

hello thread! i played this game a LOT like, 7 years ago or something, back when being in the army made your dwarfs just refuse to do anything at all.

i've been thinking about diving back in, but kinda wanted to wait for the steam release. is now as good a time as any? any tips on how to catch up on how the world works now?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this is actually a really exciting set of patch notes for me :v:

i especially hope that fixing visitors vs. tame megabeasts also fixed the bug with your own soldiers fighting tame megabeasts, although i'm not holding my breath

a whole interconnected family of really annoying bugs just got wiped out in one go, this is a great time to learn DF

my advice for learning it is take it slow. turn off invasions and enemies for the time being, keep the wiki open in another window, start with just figuring out how to keep your dwarves in food and alcohol. gradually expand into new subsystems when you're comfortable with what you've got going on already or when some crisis arrises (everyone's clothes wore out and now they're unhappy about being naked! etc.)

great to hear, and yeah that sounds like about my speed. less of the magma-powered turing machine, and more of getting my boys and girls drunk in a hut sounds like a more reasonable experience for the time being.

first challenge: see if i can remember how to disable aquifers

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I haven't played this game in years and years, but I still have the key sequences for common stuff like wall building seared into my brain

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Losing [your job / months of progress] is fun!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

tak posted:

How much art had to be thrown away after meph left?

Not necessarily any. You do work, you leave, the people you worked for still own the work.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Honestly any Toady post including a phrase like "we don't have time" that indicates some sense of a deadline is absolutely mind-blowing.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

Another Toady Devlog. These aren't usually this frequent, which is encouraging. I think Threetoe has posted more in the last month than he ever has total, because he's doing the bulk of playtesting right now.

I gotta say, it kinda DOES make sense for a game subtitled "God of Blood" to canonically end with the world being overrun by necromancers. Feature, not bug?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I've still got the key sequences for building walls and doors seared in and I haven't touched this for at least 3 years.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's hard to justify an iron dwarf mode because of how easy dwarf fortress is on its face. Even without traps or drawbridges or moats or whatever my fortress has beaten three forgotten beasts and a hill giant with minimal military investment, just a ragtag single squad of random weapon users.

Like you almost have to try to get a game over, so what would be the point of an ironman mode?

This definitely is not the case for non-veterans--there's a reason the tagline is "losing is fun." And there are plenty of states other than "game over" that might make you want to restart. The first few times you face a siege or megabeast or cavern breach, or try messing with moving water or magma, or even just keeping your basic agriculture balanced with big migrant waves, can lead to major death spirals, since it can be hard to even tell that a problem is happening until it's too late to fix, assuming you even know the solution.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Velvet Witch posted:

Thanks to whichever one of you had the idea for floor rooms lmao this is great, WE built this huge glass pyramid with that floorplan in mind! They kept it together long enough to cap it with a statue of the day we founded the place too

yo this is sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Man, I can't wait for them to implement magics other than necromancy

Speaking of, is there a roadmap?

It's hard to predict anything more than a few years in advance, so there's no telling what will be in the next update.