Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nosfereefer posted:

Just fired up a new fort after god knows how long, and the second wave of immigrants included two necromancers.

That reminded me of that one playthrough - I don't think it was Kruggsmash but it could have been - where this crabman necromancer kept helpfully reanimating body parts during battles. But the body parts were all hostile, despite his best efforts, so it really didn't help and they had to abandon the fortress and live in a field instead, because the fortress was full of evil hands crawling around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

canepazzo posted:

Tarn and Zack did a showing of DF at PAX, starting from worldgen to embark to the first steps - starts at about 4 hours here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1579918880

This looks sooooo good!

Argh I'm hyped.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

What about the ones that drown? Aquifers don't burn very well.

sounds like you're just not trying hard enough to be honest

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tunicate posted:

3d ascii plushies

I'd buy a pillow shaped like the little dwarf icon in a heartbeat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My favourite DF story was-- I forget if it was this thread or Kruggsmash or somewhere else. The fortress attracted this blind crab man necromancer. Every time enemies came he would helpfully start resurrecting everything in sight. But everything he rezzed was hostile and eventually the fortress had to be abandoned because it was full of evil body parts crawling around.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah poo poo this is really good.

I generated a world once - I'm sure it happens all the time - where a necromancer basically turned everything in the whole world into his creatures over a period of a few centuries. Just a whole planet filled with the undead and nothing else.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Just make an image of the right size and we can apply it. I think it should be "post a description of your world and a story" and get the tag, maybe?

That's a good idea. Maybe just something fun you've spotted in your new game, so people who spend three weeks reading Legends (me) don't get left out.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I thought it was tomorrow, this sucks

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Goddamn the Boatmurdered song really is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2q_5fo1OrE

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I have not been making advisable use of my time tonight.

So, here's one with transplanted typography (and made a bit less wide):

And here's what I just felt like doing for the poo poo of it to see if it'd fit in under 10kb (it does):

Oh dang I really like the second one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Dwarf Fortress: I somehow flooded my fort in the tutorial

:hai:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

seb's asked that if you want a gangtag, you post a neat story from your DF game. Not even necessarily a new game. Just so we're not having to throw them at literally everyone.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

honestly would be much better if you could play Elves or humans not everyone wants to play Dwarves.

i swear to god

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

The Playful Flutes and The Curled Nuts

I only just changed the thread title

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

mst4k posted:

I have not played this since like 2012 but am going to right after work.

I painted a gigantic mural of one of my best forts back in the day … feels like a lifetime ago!

Oh wow please post a pic of this if you have one!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Krugg just had a water buffalo skin come to life and had to kill it again.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

the hair came back to life too and had to be killed separately

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

SpiritOfLenin posted:

looking at the history of my world, there was a dwarf artisan that built a legendary door out of elf bone celebrating the promotion of some random other dwarf - the dwarf had no other links to the other dwarf, but there is still a story behind that door that's very "dwarf fortress".

you see, a few decades before he built the door out of the bones of an elf, he was apprenticed under an elf, until he left and took up an apprentice himself (who was also an elf). a few decades pass and he murders his former master out of nowhere and immediately afterwards makes the legendary door, presumably from the bones of his dead former master.

he still had that other elf as his apprentice for like a decade afterwards.

Not the worst grad student position available I suppose!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

The elves of Lonewall have written so many codices that DF.exe consumes 3 gigs of RAM and 15% cpu and then crashes every time I try to examine the site in legends

loving elves at it again! Destroy them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

That said it's totally fine if it's not for you. It's quite a specific thing. I feel that Rimworld and DF are comparable in terms of story generation, to be honest.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I can't imagine ACS being MORE approachable than DF (then again I played it before the translation was finished) but yeah, my top 3 games played on steam:

That's why I'm so surprised that I just do not like anything about DF :sweatdrop:

The reason you're getting a bit of pushback is that every time you say 'DF doesn't do X' it kinda seems that it does. It does do X. And it's totally fine if you just don't like it! You don't have to like every game in a genre that you're fond of. I love ARPGs but I can't stand Grim Dawn and lots of people really love it. So it's all good.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

Forgot how inherently funny this game is

https://i.imgur.com/uvtBumU.gifv

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Let's swerve away from a class war about this thing. It's going to be worth it for some people and not worth it for others.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I know it's pretty basic stuff but I really enjoy poking around Legends mode and finding out that a dwarf was taken by a fey mood at the age of sixteen, created an artifact crossbow, gave it to the king and then ten years later wrote a book entirely about how she made a really great crossbow one time. Then she apprenticed as a bard for a while and wrote a bunch of other books not interesting enough to have their own entries including 'It Must Have Been Amethysts' and 'Late Brain'. Her latter years were spent marrying and divorcing the same dwarf four times, an ex-beekeeper who finally had enough of her and married someone else.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Also this one elf wrote three books about the nature of truth and then got eaten by a bear. Shakespearean.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Found the guy who invented glue. He wrote three books: 'Never Underestimate Adhesives', 'Can Adhesives Save the World?' and 'Classic Adhesives', all written on the skin of one forgotten beast. He used its claws for the rollers of the scrolls. Classy!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

Okay, deconstructing my trade depot seems to have sorted them out. They are leaving, but left all their stuff in the depot

Yeah, that's yours now, you kinda robbed them. Which may or may not cause issues.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hey heads up, if you post a cool story but you don't mention you want a gangtag, I'm not gonna just drop one on you. Some people might not like it. So if you think you shoulda had one but you don't get it by, say, the end of Tuesday when we're going to close off giving them out, send me one (1) PM and I will check and fix it.

They don't happen automatically. One of us has to queue it and a mod has to approve it. So don't panic if it doesn't happen right away, okay?

Now keep posting about your fortresses please thank you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I love it when they engrave an image of gems on something. Not *actual* gems, that is not part of their creative vision.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Ok, another reminder to myself for the next fort; make a dungeon before you designate a captain of the guard. Especially if you don't notice that there's a bunch of outstanding cases due to export restriction violations.

Did he kill everyone??

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tunicate posted:

If you'd swap out my old tags for the df one that'd be good

Sure, I did enjoy your bit about the shinkicking child.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mr E posted:

I'm not sure if gang tags are given out but I created a story through my own forgetfulness. Right as the dwarf trader was leaving in the second autumn, a goblin visitor came, who I really didn't want to start trouble in my fortress. Things had been going well including some carvans from the Elves and Humans where I was able to trade for some decent weapons and armor so I was prepared to fight just in case. I went ahead and burrowed my dwarves so everyone would be inside and I was planning on locking the outside doors.

Yeah, we're gonna be doing the gang tags for a couple more days. And it seems to me if you're going to accidentally lock a dwarf in somewhere, it might as well be the tavern.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

After a few false starts that I wasn't quite vibing with, I finally settled on doing a mostly aboveground fort. I think it's looking pretty nice, everything feels stable, my food stores are steady, Tavern and hospital are both set up with temples coming soon, I got my pottery industry online and will soon have metalworking online, and the main structure continues to expand, I've got 2 floors right now and a basement level.

I've wondered about doing a fort where we have a few buildings above ground to house non-dwarves and do trade meetings and stuff and then the bulk of the fort is properly underground, as Armok intended. Probably want to burrow into the side of a mountain.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

pisshead posted:

How do I make a farm? Last time I played DF (the ascii version, years ago) you could just put those purple helmet things on the floor. Now I need mud, but I can't make any because I don't have any water. I tried opening a hole in the surface so rain could get into the cavern, but it didn't work. I don't have any rivers or ponds.

I think farming without any water at all might be a bit of an issue

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Grei Skuring posted:

How do you get the gang tag? I've been waiting for the "release" of DF for fifteen years. It's very nostalgic!

I realize after having played the new version that there are QOL no-brainers that are lacking (and that modern takes on DF have done "better"). Still, there's a unique notion of the world being fully simulated that is unbeatable. I hope the bones of the game aren't too inscrutable for modders aiming to streamline certain aspects, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Just post a story about something cool or funny or interesting that happened in your game, and mention you want a tag :)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mr E posted:

The berserk tavern keeper became shaken and started talking about death with every kill, saying it was truly horrifying.

This is really creepy and I love it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tunicate posted:

my legendary miner digs so quickly that he managed to channel out a hole directly under his own feet, rotate 180 degrees midair, fall, and land on his head, dying instantly

goddamn Wile E Coyote move

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

First time i've gotten a necromancer in a migrant wave. Got two of them in my first migrant wave on a new embark.

Then I spotted this loving thing running around:

What the hell is it? Neither of my Necros is named Nusbi?

Is it dangerous?

It seems to have a lovely personality.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hey y'all I've queued everyone before now for tags. To reiterate:
Post a fun story from your fort in the thread and please say that you want a tag, and one of us will queue it up for the admins to action.
We'll be giving these out until, basically, I go to bed tomorrow evening, a week after the game's release. Sometimes it takes a bit for an admin to action all the queued requests so don't worry if it doesn't happen. That said if it gets to like, Friday, and you think you should have had a tag and you don't, I might have missed your post, in which case send me one (1) PM linking me to your story and reminding me about the tag, and I'll sort it when I get time.
You have all been excellent about this so far and you are all right by me, even that one poster who murdered that innocent ettin while it cried. Even that poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Splash Attack posted:

is there a guide as to how i can tap the river for fresh water? i've made floodgates but i have no idea how to actually use them.

also i see people talking about aquifers but i have no idea what those actually are

An aquifer is a real life thing, a layer of water under the ground. Have a care how you dig into one because they can lead to water *absolutely everywhere*.