Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pharnakes posted:

And if I remember rightly dresses are better than robes for some obscure reason, or used to be.

I'm like that with silk. I'm sure it was better than cloth for some reason, but no longer remember the reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nosre posted:

Dwarven morality: we do good deeds in order to avoid announcement spam

Only briefly. Through a bleeding vampire down the well. Everyone starts drinking vampire water and turns into vampires. Once everyone is a vampire you can let him out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cheetah7071 posted:

It turns out there's a button on the world map which shows the last known locations of all of your captives. The poor girl has been reunited with her parents after a trivially easy raid

Did they seem happy about it? I tried rescuing just once and was disappointed that neither the kid nor their parents seemed to care. The kid hadn't picked any interesting skills or anything.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

wiegieman posted:

They won't. Forgotten beast dust can carry syndromes, usually lethal.

Rot can be a fun one. I had not human diplomat spreading it once. The doctors would remove the rotten flesh and the dwarf goes back to work. Then the gangrene comes back and the doctor removes it again. Repeat. The afficted dwarfs never got much work done, but the doctors leveled up like crazy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hbag posted:

by the way, im assuming caravans no longer asking me if i want anything specific next time has something to do with my monarch getting killed by cavern dwellers and hurting my reputation, or something?

If the monarch is at your fortress you are the mountain home. So a representative from the mountain home no longer visits. No more trade agreements.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pickled Tink posted:

The dust goes where it goes from the collapse and is the way the air pressure and debris shock is modelled. For a dwarf it is basically being hit by a heavy high speed object the weight of which I suspect is determined by the specific collapsed material, and which part of them takes the blow seems to be random chance. Sometimes they'll be fine, other times you'll find their limbs have exploded into gore, or their head has gone spelunking in their chest.

As a general rule, avoid collapses unless you are deliberately triggering them via a pillar connected to a lever, with an airlock door between the danger zone and your drunken moron population. The pillar can be on top of the thing you are dropping, not just below. So long as it is connecting your area to drop with something stable, it's all good.

Also, if you absolutely want whatever you are collapsing on to die, drop a chunk of an entire stone layer. Both floor and wall. A floor alone will just do a dust impact which may merely wound the attacker, and worst case just make it angry. Dropping a piece of an entire Z level on it will atom smash it, only without caring for how large the creature is like a drawbridge does. This is an excellent way to dispose of forgotten beasts or titans made of materials such as Slade.

Long ago I used to use wooden pillar traps based on that principle. Building destroyers could and would destroy wooden pillars, so if the only thing holding up the roof is a wooden pillar they will bring it down on themselves. The trolls that frequently accompanied goblin invasions at the time could wipe out half their own force.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Azhais posted:

This whole discussion made me wonder, in rimworld there's a naked brutality start where you have nothing at all. Is that even possible in df, or can you do nothing without your homeland issued pick?

If you have nothing you can eat surface food and just wait for the traders to bring tools. But it's dull.

If you have just an axe (or materials to make an axe) you can get wood and build yourself a wooden house with beds. But you still aren't progressing without traders.

If you have just a pick (or materials to make a pick) and an anvil you can strike the earth and, eventually, do everything without relying on traders. That's the closest to a naked and afraid start IMO.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

VideoWitch posted:

Dwarves will automatically pick up any eggs from a nestbox unless its in an area they can't reach or they're forbidden. Easiest way to handle it is just set up a pen with some nest boxes in a locked room and just unlock it when you want dwarves to pick up the eggs. Or you could have a second pen that's always accessible just for eggs.

They won't move the eggs if no stockpile accepts eggs. Cooks may still take them if they have meal jobs queued up and the nests are closer than any other source of ingredients.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I often bring 14 dogs now, 2 or 3 of them male. I make up the points by bringing stuff to make tools instead of tools, and lots of milk. Milk is dirt cheap. Any dwarf can quickly turn stacks of worthless milk into stacks of valuable cheese.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The gods provided the dwarfs with everything they needed to be dwarfs when the world was created a few hundred years ago. The first anvil probably still exists.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Artifact . . . locker?

I keep all my artifacts on display in the tavern, deep underground. The sheriff's office is next door. When something is stolen there are a dozen witnesses and it usually gets reported before the thief gets outside, so I just lock the doors.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cheetah7071 posted:

I've gotten speed issues on a decent computer before but it always turns out there's like 300 enemies sitting in the walled off caverns. Exterminate them with dfhack and the soeed came back to a reasonable pace. The other big culprit is fire. If a dragon attacks, it won't end your fortress by killing your dwarves, but by slowing the game to a crawl as it models fire dynamics.

Speaking of which, the newest dfhack update includes an ability to cap the number of cavern invaders, so they won't just pile up endlessly if you wall off the caverns

I find the animal people in the cavern aren't too much trouble as long as they aren't the flying kind. My favorite was the blind cave fish people. You had to nearly bump into them before they'd notice enemies were nearby, so they weren't a threat to civilians (except job cancelation spam).

Nowadays I have some guys tunnel to the caverns as quickly as possible to find out what's down there. If it's too awful I just abandon the fort and move on with my life.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Wait, you can retire your fort to run itself now? That's amazing, actual incentive to keep playing the same world and just stop a fort and start a new one when you get bored of it.

It's cool sometimes members of your old fort will migrate to your new fort. And you're like, "hey, it's that guy" and you're happy because he is already trained in skills you found useful.

Note: This is less good when the reason you retired your old fort was because you had a runaway werebeast plague.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Could you dig out a drain beneath the lake? Either through channeling a map edge wall or right through the caverns. Drain the lake, build what you want to build, trigger the floodgate to stop draining the water. And then just wait for rain or whatever to refill the lake.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nessus posted:

If you have water pouring from the surface but flowing into a cavern body of water that touches the map edge, will it drain off or gradually drown the cavern

If you have it flowing into a large enough room on any level that touches the map edge wall, and you smooth and carve fortifications into that wall, the water will drain off the map. Where does it go? That's some other guy's problem.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cheetah7071 posted:

Does anyone know what happens if you let a zone you built because of a petition dip below the promised value? I'm moving a lot of my fort to more permanent quarters which means carrying the valuable objects propping up my guild and temple value into new homes, and at least temporarily breaking the petition

I don't know for sure, but I bet they get mad.

Unless it has changed, all rooms assigned to a given temple or guild count toward the total value. So you can build the new room and build the nice floors and walls and add it as part of the temple/guild complex before you start moving the furniture. Don't close the old room until you're sure the new room is lux enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Babe Magnet posted:

if you murder plump helmet men on purpose I'm going to personally kick your rear end

But they're so plump.