Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

This is quite possibly the most amazing thing I've ever witnessed.

This is new to me. When did stonesense (or whatever that isometric viewer was called) gain the ability to integrate itself into the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Confirming this is the superlative :iit:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

nutranurse posted:

The moment Toady adds in any kind of mechanic where you can have ownership over other sentient creatures the DF mod forums are gonna get real ugly real fast.

"I just don't understand why dark-skinned dwarves aren't naturally more likely to be owned by other dwarves, and furthermore-:commissar:"

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Archonex posted:

One of the only threads to get locked for being too horrible apparently was closed and deleted because someone modded in genitalia so they could simulate raping people in adventurer mode. :stonk:

I want to be :stonk: but I'm currently busy laughing my rear end off at the concept of

"Urist McAdventureDwarf smashes the Kea Woman in the lower torso with his +Engorged Phallus+ and the injured part is crushed!"

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

VerdantSquire posted:

I think a big part of the "too much stuff" problem is also how many different kinds of stuff that you eventually accumulate. IIRC, you can have two functionally identical sets of wool shirts, but if one shirt is made of sheep wool and the other is made of troll wool, they have to be tracked as two complete different items, even if the statistical difference is utterly negligible. I honestly believe that Toady should make an attempt to really simplify the thousand and one different kinds of materials into simple "Wood", "Leather", and "Cloth" resources. Or at the very least, do it by dividing them into Low-Quality, Average-Quality, and High-Quality versions if you really want to keep an eye on the difference between lovely cheap wood or first-rate quality timber, just so long as it's a difference that actually matters. Seriously, nobody gives a poo poo about what particular race of a species that a piece of leather is made from. The only variations that Dwarf Fortress should be tracking are the ones that would actually affect a player's decision or can actually change poo poo in world gen history, because continuing to track trivial stuff isn't really viable if you also want the game to remain playable, especially once Toady starts to try his hand at more advanced item tracking.

I'm pretty sure this is fundamentally opposed to the core vision of Dwarf Fortress, said vision being "We always need more stuff"

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

Speaking of other games! Can we get a list of DF-alikes? Gnomeria, AKA "Gnome Fortress" is the closest to the overall feel of DF that I have seen so far, but Rimworld is also good and there are others. On the topic of Rimworld, I just watched the first episode of some random youtuber's LP series of the new build and it's looking pretty :krad:

Rimworld is cool but lacks depth. I got bored after a couple colonies and haven't touched it in a while.

I should get back into DF. The itch is coming back and Rimworld didn't quite scratch it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Nietzschean posted:

I guess I am just too dumb to get it? I see ASCII-like tilesets such as CFA and Geoduck, which require me to look at things like division operators and other punctuation marks, and I see graphical tilesets such as Phoebus and Spacefox which show me barrels and doors. GemSet looks like the former. If it is somehow special in a way that those are not, I do not see it. I'm not trying to be facetious; I am assuming there is something obvious that I am missing but I have no idea what or how to see it.

Far as I can tell, GemSet is unique in that it's extremely hi-res, and the eventual goal is to get 100% of the tiles converted (as far as I can tell from what's been said in this thread so far).

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Airconswitch posted:

edit:never mind

good call

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

stephenfry posted:

can anyone get me an account token for dwarffortresswiki.org?

e: nice bannable 0content responses, my question stands. At least explain how I am dumb for asking for a registration token on a related wiki that posters here probably already have accounts on.
\
ee: hah no I see, gently caress me for using a non-desktop user agent. consider yourself unpsyducked. Let my pusillanimous failure stand as testament of use to pretty much no-one.

:shibe:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

This is a yak wool sweater. On it is a covering of vomit. In the vomit is the remnants of ☼mom's spaghetti☼

:perfect:

seriously this post is very underrated

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

So I've only been following this thread recently and have probably missed earlier important things.

Stuff I want to know:

-Does the new release ostensibly have a fix for the "unplayable lag in any biome that includes trees" problem?
-Does the new release ostensibly reintroduce dwarven economy?
-Does the new release ostensibly have a fix for the "invasion parties can't path well over the world map and so will rarely if ever hit your settlement"?

Thanks bunches

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

drat. I want to start playing again but I am incredibly bad and wood is my crutch, so having trees murder my framerate is eminently undesirable.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

or a cousin will die and 20 of your dwarves will suddently go berserk at once

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I downloaded the lazy newb pack (now pedexiserrant's starter pack or something?) and tried to play the other day. For some reason, the view tried to scroll with my mouse when i was embarked. What's that all about? also I couldn't seem to move my view past the lower right quarter of my embark location.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

necrotic posted:

LNP comes with mouse support on by default, I think. And you can't view outside your embark area, so I don't know what your problem there is. Do you mean its stuck in the lower right corner and you can't go up or to the left?

mouse support is haraam

I mean I embarked on a map and could only see like 1/4 of said map. The map window showed that there was a bunch of stuff outside of the viewing pane, but I couldn't get to it

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I figured out what was going on re: my earlier issues of not being able to scroll through the map - I was just dumb and didn't notice that mouse zooming hosed with where your camera position was displayed on the minimap. I've also learned to cope with having the mouse enabled because I couldn't be arsed to figure out how to turn it off in dfhack (clicking it in the LNP window did not help).

Time to go start losing some forts. If my start is any indication, I don't plan to make it through the first winter in my first like ten forts :sun:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Lareine posted:

I like rivers. They have a source of shells. Also an infinite source of water without having to deal with aquifers.

Yeah when I first learned to play my tutorial told me to always embark next to a river

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

My lazy strategy is to try and have all my bases covered in the first couple migrant waves and then just let new arrivals do whatever. If I notice something is taking too long to happen I activate the relevant labor on the first idle dwarf I see.

I bet you also have unread emails in your inbox

you goddamn monster

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

OT: are IronicDongz's posts breaking the "last read" button for anyone else? I can't see his posts until someone else posts after him

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Oh hello algorithmschat

a* uses heuristics to help it find the shortest path - this is usually some form of approximation of path cost from the current node to the end node. The "Manhattan" heuristic is used for grid-like pathing algorithms, and operates by calculating the number of "blocks" to the destination, like you might with city streets. The closer you have to a straight line between the source and destination, the more efficient the path is, as the algorithm will always attempt to take the path that shortens the number of blocks to get to the destination. Where it runs into problems is when you have a lot of roadblocks, as every time the algorithm can't further minimize the heuristic on its "best path", it will try every other path until it gets to a point where it can start minimizing again.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Gibbo posted:

It's a little unintuitive how you've had a membership since at least 2012 and still double post multiple times a day.

double posting is extremely Cool and Good

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

i miss dwarf therapist

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I just had a ranger throw a tantrum that resulted in her, a random planter, and my duchess getting the everloving poo poo beat out of them by the rest of my fortress.

??????????????????????????????????

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Learned a valuable lesson about cave ins after dropping a 9-long section of ground through 5 occupied z-levels :cripes:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

Speaking of!! I tried making marksdwarf squads and doing the "make a uniform, then make a squad and give them the uniform and then they'll get ammo" thing and they still won't practice in the archery range! Dang it

The only thing that worked for me was deleting the squad and recreating it. Haven't tried with anything other than the default archer uniform though

e: completely unrelated, how do you go about fulfilling your dwarfs needs for training a martial skill? Does every dwarf you find with that need just get thrown in a "train two months a year" squad or something?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Is it possible to set stockpile priority for storing items or is it 100% pathing based?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

So what if you simply don't assign a captain of the guard *or* a hammerer? Do punishments just never happen? Or is there an auto-assigned punishment noble?

Unrelated, couple questions:

1) a fey mood child claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop and has been collecting cloth nonstop. We're up over 20 items now. IIRC from an LP this is a bug - is there any way to get them to figure their poo poo out?
2) my fps is like 13 at pop cap plus with like 60 animals. I also have over 1000 bars of iron and coke. Is the solution to this just "kill animals, sell bars, jettison as many finished goods as possible"?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

hbag posted:

idk if its just me but doing poo poo like this just feels like... ruining the point of the game

I mean it's probably not just you, but you're still probably in the minority. It's a sandbox, there isn't really a point at all.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I had a child claim a craftsdwarfs workshop ages ago (no idea actually how long). He's asking for rough gems, cut gems, wood, rock, cloth, and metal bars. So far he has accumulated one iron bar, one unit of hematite, one cut gem, one log, zero rough gems, and about a jillion units of wool cloth. Can I do anything about this, or is he doomed to sleep contened upon the world's hugest pile of cloth until the end of his days (which may come about sooner than expected at this point :arghfist: )?

e: to be clear, I have surplus of everything he's asking for, unforbidden, and a variety of plant and silk cloth

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ChickenWing posted:

I had a child claim a craftsdwarfs workshop ages ago (no idea actually how long). He's asking for rough gems, cut gems, wood, rock, cloth, and metal bars. So far he has accumulated one iron bar, one unit of hematite, one cut gem, one log, zero rough gems, and about a jillion units of wool cloth. Can I do anything about this, or is he doomed to sleep contened upon the world's hugest pile of cloth until the end of his days (which may come about sooner than expected at this point :arghfist: )?

e: to be clear, I have surplus of everything he's asking for, unforbidden, and a variety of plant and silk cloth

Naturally, right after asking this I was able to google the right combination of words and found an old-rear end bug that's still hanging around in some fashion. Basically, your moody dwarf can claim something that they're not allowed to have, for some reason (in my case, I think it might have been that I stopped letting children do chores?), and then they'll just keep grabbing everything that's not that while they wait for the item to become accessible.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ChickenWing posted:

Naturally, right after asking this I was able to google the right combination of words and found an old-rear end bug that's still hanging around in some fashion. Basically, your moody dwarf can claim something that they're not allowed to have, for some reason (in my case, I think it might have been that I stopped letting children do chores?), and then they'll just keep grabbing everything that's not that while they wait for the item to become accessible.

lol

e:

bastard

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

hmm

hmmmmmmmmmm

ok

good poo poo kiddo

also when was the most recent DF LP? Archives don't show any since an abandoned one in 2013

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Oh that's interesting, going from a game that you couldn't play with a mouse at all (at least as far as I remember) to one where you need it.

This is good insight, thank you. Especially going the extra mile with the hack devs, I'll definitely do that

You could always just fire up the classic version, which is still free and graphical enough if you use a tileset

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

opinion time, goons: what sort of worldgen settings and embark would you consider "standard difficulty" - i.e. no training wheels, but no challenges above and beyond the "typical" DF experience. Obviously turning down mineral occurrence is a key one, but I've also seen it mentioned that the right amount is somewhere between Rare and Sparse and best tuned with the advanced generation parameters

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Griddle of Love posted:

The answer to this is going to have to be arbitrary. I'd almost recommend rethinking the question altogether, and figuring out what kind of a challenge you want, because it sounds like you would like to have a bit of a challenge to figure out how well you can roll with what DF can throw at you.

I mean yeah that's basically it but I was also being a bit intentionally vague because I assume there'll be lots of differing opinions. You've got it about right, though, in that I think I'm ready for something that isn't handing me everything I need on a silver platter, but I'm not about to try an evil or glacier embark just yet. Basically wondering what the thread's go-to settings are for a fort that's engaging but not hard mode

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

frytechnician posted:

And now, as of last week, Tarn said the following about senior management in game companies:

"They can all eat poo poo, I think they’re horrible, and I think they’re bad people."

In short, the more I find out about the game and the devs, the more pleased I am with my purchase.

Even better in context

e:

PC Gamer Article posted:

"Three to four years from now, what are [Dwarf Fortress] sales looking like?" pondered Adams in a chat with PCG, "What kind of decisions do we have to make [with] burn rates and all that stuff?" Considering the possibility of making those hard decisions some day down the line, Tarn wondered if the experience would give him "more empathy for the people that lay people off.

"No, I don't f***ing think so," he concluded. "They can all eat s***, I think they're horrible, and I think they're bad people."

Which is a pretty definitive statement all by itself, but Adams continued: "These decisions, they don't sound practical. They sound like they're driven by greedy, greedy people trying to make some kind of venture capital thing work out.

"There is this stench of rot at the top of things where the reasons people get laid off is because of funding structures and bad incentives and stupidity," said Adams, damning execs for firing people "that they shouldn't fire because their company will fall apart, but I guess maybe that helps someone's bottom line somewhere or gets the right air inside the right golden parachute."

[...]

But for now, Tarn and Zach Adams say it's full-steam ahead with DF's development and incoming Adventure Mode update, which hits this April. "[We're] still fundamentally excited about what's possible, and not feeling encumbered ourselves by any of that… we're gonna keep shining the light forward, and hopefully continuing to inspire people."

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

darthbob88 posted:

Things and knowledge, yeah. If my dwarfs can learn to domesticate elk birds or the like, I should be able to send them to the mountainhome and buy elk birds in my next fortress.

Isn't this sorta possible though? Like, you can now abandon your fort but leave it running, plus your animal tamers give taming knowledge back to your parent civ.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Wait, you can retire your fort to run itself now? That's amazing, actual incentive to keep playing the same world and just stop a fort and start a new one when you get bored of it.

Yeah!

edit: also I checked legends after abandoning a fort to ruin (the classic abandonment) and I guess all the dwarves leftover created their own group and were still tracked in legends. I didn't progress history at all after that but I found it interesting and if you played another fort I imagine you might see one of your previous dwarves, or at least get to see them do stuff in legends after a few years

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 29, 2024

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

my understanding is that if you tell a squad to station somewhere, they'll feel free to chase enemies anywhere, but try to return to that point whenever they're not fighting. If you tell them to defend a burrow, they will not leave that burrow for any reason other than because they're about to starve or dehydrate

Ooh that's handy information, will have to figure out how exactly burrow defending works now lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Yeah books rock, libraries rock. I agree that I wouldn't want to be shut out of anything that we already have access to but having research play a part in history and have some subtypes be gated behind civ progress, so that an average size civ might take 5 years to invent the high boot, 50 years to invent the full helm, etc.