Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

scamtank posted:

Okay so the thing that mifki was working on, uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6avy8k9bE8c

how did he make a native iOS port

Bullshit, that's impossible, it must be an elaborate scam.

I mean, that's impossible, right?

Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Just when you think the dick jokes have stopped, they show up unexpectedly, next to a bloody axe.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

That's weird. I also read it as calling toady a poo poo. I can't see why I did, but yeah.

Because Scamtank's an rear end in a top hat that insults us every time he posts a devlog update and we've grown to assume he's a pulsating ball of impotent misanthropic rage of the kind that being the OP of the Dwarf Fortress thread inevitably creates?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Oh, right. Man, gently caress that guy.

That's the spirit. We can only hope he goes amusingly bonkers, like the last one did just before he dwindled away into self-parody and Spermy Smurf feuds.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The next LP should be Dwarf Cheers.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

scamtank posted:

For any real accuracy, though, we'd have to have a lot more to distinguish biomes and growth preferences. Altitude, soil depth, loam/clay/sand tolerance, temperature range...

For now, I'm glad that trees still accept the FREQUENCY token. Now I can look at some actual trees and not just a single transcontinental rainbow-colored fruit grove.

Well, if you're going to have soil, then we need pedogenesis and monsoons and oscillations and desertification and glaciation. Preferably both the natural kind and the sudden evil-terrain-magic kind.

"I can't believe we embarked in an El Nino year" should be a thing.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Michaellaneous posted:

I am sorry but this is the most :spergin: I've read all year.

I hope trees fall on both of you.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Evil Sheep posted:

I'd rather Toady spend his time making new content updates rather than researching easily moddable trees.

gently caress you, get your priorities straight or a tree might fall on you, too.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

RedTonic posted:

* Bees are assholes and want to sting you; it's easier to kill them all and rob after.

I had no idea that's what people were doing historically until it showed up in DF.

I love that DF has taught me so much about geology, beekeeping and love.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

StrangeAeon posted:

Complications have arisen.

None of the local wildlife dares to approach the were-elephant settlement, and construction is proceeding quickly. Two of the exiles have even given birth. I feared the worst, but it seems that even transformed into hulking beasts, the mothers recognize their own children, and are not hostile to them.

Unfortunately, other were-elephants are. Neither infant survived the month. Four were-elephants remain.

How did the two were-elephants die?

Is a sentence I never thought I'd type.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Internet Kraken posted:

I wonder if you can build a tavern on the edge of a glacier and still get drunks stumbling in to visit it.

Yes, and Scamtank won't complain unless they're drunk spruces.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

KyloWinter posted:

rofl okay. Gotta study before I can play.

That guy's a tool and a sissy. I picked up Dwarf Fortress immediately. Most of us do unless there's some level of brain damage on the part of the player.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Flesh Forge posted:

It is totally OK to not like a game :shrug:

You're really messed up, you know that? You can't post that in this thread, go post that in the Clockwork Horrors thread, you traitor to Dwarf Fortress.

KyloWinter posted:

Ugh, replacing a US-centric education with a Japan-centric education is no improvement. Learning the history of Japan is a waste of time--it's a completely unimportant island backwater until 400 years ago--kind of like Britain. Study Russia or Central America or China or India or Mesopotamia or the Mediterranean--places that have been historically significant for a couple thousand or more years. Don't replace one fetishistic, overly modern historical gaze with another just because it happens to be the place where they invented pokemon.

Now you're starting to make some sense. But I don't know what that has to do with the One True Game.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Procedurally generate gaming. That's the most Dwarf Fortress thing I've ever heard of. I hope he implements RPGs and spends a year developing out the adventure mode playing of them.

This is why the UI sucks, okay? And it's worth it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Just a reminder that typically February is the worst month for DF donations, so if you're any kind of decent piece of poo poo, you'll put a little something in Tarn Adams g-string this month.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Nietzschean posted:

No idea what I am looking at.

Antmen corpses and associated antmen bits and teeth and pieces mixed with troglodyte corpses scattered around an antman campsite in the underground. A scene--a slaughter--the cause of which we will never know, ending lives who no one wrote stories of. The kind of thing only archaeologists ever get a chance to consider.

No, just kidding, everyone there has a full entry in legends talking about how much they enjoyed the smallest detail of their lives right up to the point it was ended by a bone spear or troglodyte claw.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Subjunctive posted:

Is Feb the worst month for donations just because it's the shortest month, or is it disproportionate to that?

Looking over it, the trend isn't so strong as I thought: 2010 and 2011 are bad and 2014 bears out the same pattern, but Feb 2013 was not unusual (Feb 2012 was a release month and so doesn't matter). Feb 2008 looks like a release month also, based on the numbers for that year...

2014:
December: $8181.08
November: $3400.66
October: $3260.59
September: $4573.68
August: $6551.92
July: $15273.52
June: $4938.74
May: $3705.91
April: $6428.15
March: $3606.70
February: $2803.99
January: $4040.37

2013:
December: $5903.18
November: $3683.50
October: $4727.45
September: $3888.52
August: $2964.61
July: $3498.44
June: $3355.10
May: $3364.33
April: $5597.40
March: $5518.03
February: $3244.12
January: $3254.43

2012:
December: $3916.84
November: $4054.83
October: $3579.58
September: $2712.83
August: $3594.48
July: $3905.02
June: $3599.86
May: $4814.94
April: $4623.70
March: $6777.02
February: $12586.51
January: $3689.27

2011:
December: $5468.33
November: $3199.46
October: $2503.28
September: $2793.95
August: $4818.25
July: $6615.67
June: $2374.03
May: $3010.58
April: $3018.42
March: $4220.20
February: $2113.11
January: $2158.91

2010:
December: $9416.16
November: $4030.76
October: $2937.47
September: $2755.52
August: $2212.95
July: $3345.83
June: $2364.29
May: $3201.62
April: $16104.49
March: $4387.99
February: $1452.57
January: $2291.50

2009:
December: $4762.98
November: $5122.29
October: $1759.27
September: $2138.21
August: $2510.86
July: $2202.37
June: $2723.83
May: $2221.92
April: $2549.15
March: $2997.46
February: $1428.62
January: $2099.48

2008:
December: $5279.49
November: $1305.10
October: $1868.30
September: $1695.48
August: $3101.50
July: $5543.99
June: $1531.09
May: $1943.71
April: $3757.64
March: $1749.50
February: $2844.93
January: $1697.73

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Saitorr posted:

I have this weird issue where my dwarves won't smelt all of the adamantine strands in a stockpile. They'll smelt down to a single bin, but then stop saying they need strands. I tried forbidding/freeing the bin but it just cancels some dwarf's storage job. The furnace doesn't even recognize free adamantine strands, but I can see them in there.

Anyone have any ideas on my super serious and urgent problem?

They might be claimed by the hospital.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Zereth posted:

I thought the game didn't have excrement in it.

"filth"

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

scamtank posted:

I'm out of words

It's okay, all your posts can now be generated in anaphylactic pentameter from now.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Michaellaneous posted:

Is he just creating an AI of sorts?

Skynet was originally designed to create procedurally generated poems for alcoholic midgets. In 2015 it evolved, became self-aware, and declared war on humanity/

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Quinoa? "It is gluten-free."

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

people joke about hating elves for being treehuggers but it's because they're weirdos who eat their own dead along with everyone else's

What they never tell you in the LoTR books is that lembas wafers are made of minced orc and elf.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Excelzior posted:

goblin traders? what? :psyduck:

They'll stop when the trigger for ambushes and sieges fires. Maybe it's just for sieges.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

program666 posted:

because the latter is a michael jackson video clip

"The hints that we were actually living inside a simulation became, at the end, so glaringly obvious that in retrospect we should have realized it 50 years before we finally did."

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

On the item is an engraving of dwarves. The dwarves are embarking with two cats. It is funny.

This is Mo Mos, the deafening cry of humor, a masterwork joke about recursion, it bristles with references to Mo Mos, the deafening cry of humor.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

neogeo0823 posted:

What I really love about that is that those titles sound like foundational knowledge that can be used to discover other things and gain greater knowledge. For example, what happens when a scholar finishes reading Injuries For Everyone, and Dissection: Before and After? Will they have a revelation and suddenly become an amazing doctor, with their new found knowledge? Or will they use that knowledge to write a book that will lead to the first mechanical prosthetic limbs?

Knowing Toady, they'll probably end up having an existential crisis which will require Toady to spend the next three months implementing the French diseases of the soul. That, naturally, will lead to a need to model simultaneous responses to existentialism, including Secular Dwarfism, Finite-Infinite Meaning Making, and Retrospection Derived From Earlier Tales of Afterlife Punishments.

All of which will factor into the Army Arc somehow.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Better than Dutch Disease, at least according to the Eastern Europe thread.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

my dad posted:

Not quite.

You mean "not yet".

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Jothan posted:

There's a project I've been interested in trying for a while now, but I've never figured out whether or not it's possible. I'd like to devote a series of forts to building a massive bridge that spans an ocean between two continents on the world map.

The basic idea would be to start with a very thin, very long embark, build a bridge spanning the map, and then start more forts for every separate piece of bridge. The issue here of course is that unless something changed in the new version, you can't make an embark over region tiles from different world tiles, so there's no way to embark over entirely ocean tiles to connect bridges.

So my big problem now is that I need to figure out a way to create embarkable land near the unfinished end of the bridge for a wagon to start on. I'd like to do this without overtly cheating, and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do just in fortress mode (if not someone feel free to let me know), so now I'm looking at adventure mode possibilities.

Are pump stacks and whatnot still usable in adventure mode? If not, is there another way I can get lava from a retired fort to the ocean in adventure mode? I'm assuming it's still impossible to build or deconstruct things.

If you created a wave of magma on the edge of the map and then used DFHack to take control of one of your dwarves and go into adventure mode, then the wave of magma should (I don't know if anyone has tried it) flow out and onto the bordering area and create obsidian as it goes. Or just use the magma tool while in adventure mode and drop magma until the obsidian builds up enough to connect the bridge pieces.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

GreyPowerVan posted:

Nah, probably 2016. We had DF2010, 2012, and 2014.

Dwarf Fortress: The Original Even Year Bullshit

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

FutonForensic posted:

Anyone have examples or ideas for designing a fort around a waterfall?

Dig down to magma and pump it to the surface and pave over it to save yourself from the anguish of decimal FPS.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Excelzior posted:

Dwarf Fortress 2014 : No longer about dwarves or fortresses

Let's also remember that Armok never made an appearance. So, really, all that's left of the original design is Slaves.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Excelzior posted:

DF furries? What have you done, Toady :gonk:

If my girlfriend wants to dress up like a devlog, who are you to tell her she can't?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

canepazzo posted:

And in your daily "Mfiki is an Amokdamn wizard":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZq0Z6NhsGA

So you just spin up an AWS instance with Dwarf Fortress on it and then play it on your phone?

Is that what the kids are doing now? I feel like a goddamn dinosaur.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

And why I have these adamantine sutures holding an unwashed wound shut while I've been laying on the floor of the local ER for the past 8 months.

No, that's because of Obamacare.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The Pied Piper of Death.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
That's it, I'm officially out of patience for the new release.

How does he manage to delay it so consistently, every time? You think you've finally got your expectations set and he scope creeps and drags it out longer than even that.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Gibbo posted:

How white and middle class are you?

It's one man, making a free game larger in scope than pretty much ANY loving thing else on the market.

Have you considered shutting the gently caress up and being grateful Toady exists?

Pretty sure you're allowed to criticize Tarn Adams here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

BetterLekNextTime posted:

We're like one step from a dwarf reddit.

Nah, Dwarf Fortress is way more progressive than Reddit. Reddit probably thinks Toady is a SJW.