Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

For the most basic of graphics mods, this is a square version of the default tileset without the stretching issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Arven posted:

Really though, does this mean that the fantasy flora is going away? Mushrooms don't work in real life like they do in this game, so he can't completely get away from it.

I would guess it'll follow the same pattern as trees, animals and so on - real plants in the environments that actually exist, fantasy ones in the caverns and evil regions and such. We might see the end of rope reeds and prickle berries but we're probably keeping plump helmets and pig tails.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You could also channel out your final wall from above, keeping the dwarf out of the path of the magma entirely.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I do hope we will one day have pools of general liquids. A reservoir filled with booze, now that's what Dwarf Fortress is all about.

Or maybe a giant statue of a dwarf, holding a mug from which pours an endless waterfall of beer. Straight into the dining room, so everyone gets drunk off the mist.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is this the same plugin that allows for unlimited tilesets? This UI progress is more exciting than the actual DF update that's been two years in the making.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PhantomZero posted:

I haven't played in awhile and this may be normal now, but all the pre-generated cities keep stacking up adjacent to each other. Just seems like a lot of urban sprawl and I don't recall this happening so thought it might be a bug.

Do you mean the dwarf fortresses? Right now that's just worldgen using the same symbol for big cities as for small hillocks - it's the same system as human hamlets in the last version.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Azhais posted:

It's really there so that on top of everything else that is a little skeevy about Succubus forts, they can all be lesbians now too.

I wonder if orientation is respected in worldgen too? In that case, an all-gay civilisation would never survive more than one generation.

Toady explained it in the new Future Of The Fortress thread. It was originally for the sake of your adventurers once they retire so that they can lead their own lives, but he never got round to implementing a dialog that lets you choose their orientation so it just applies to NPCs. Each caste can have its own distribution of orientation, but it's only in terms of gender. The orientation tag is the distribution of probability for "disinterested", "willing to romance" and "willing to commit".

This means I can finally make a society of ant-men in which only the queen and drones reproduce while not making the workers genderless! I can just set the workers' orientations to be disinterested in everyone (or at least disinterested in the men. I guess having the occasional worker ants falling in love with each other could be kind of cute.)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

How does it work if you have a chair and throne in the same room, designate the chair as a study and the table as a dining room, and assign them both to 1 noble? Does the "value" of the room get divided or something?

Last I knew, having a room overlap with another room divided both rooms' value by four. It was divided by four no matter how many other rooms were intersected. So you could do it, but the room needed to be four times the target value.

This was several versions ago, though, so it might have changed.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A ramp must be against a wall. On top of that wall must be pathable ground, including more ramps. Stairs, however, can be purely vertical and stacked however high you like.

The only real advantage to ramps is that you only have to designate one end of them and the other turns up automatically. Otherwise it's purely aesthetic.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

traders immediately climbing trees and promptly going batfuck insane.

Hell, everyone climbing trees and being unable to get down. I had a child gain Armor User skill by climbing a tree, falling off, and having his clothing deflect the Earth's blow. :black101:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

Also becoming the lord of a town is as simple as saying that you are, and then killing the old one, which is not hard considering that they're all basically unguarded.

Has anyone used this to grind out dominion over the world yet?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

tinkerttoy posted:

Playing Adventure, I raided a cave packed to the gills with all kinds of dragons, and at the end, I found three dragon eggs. There are three pertinent questions:
  1. Is it possible that they are fertile?
  2. If so, will they ever hatch?
  3. How long will it take, as in, what are my chances of getting killed gruesomely before they do hatch?
  4. If they will hatch, and in a timely manner, will they maul me as soon as they come out, or will I get to lead a trio of baby dragons around like little ducklings? :3:

With a lot of dragons in the area, presuming some were male, they could be fertile!
In theory, they should hatch if you don't touch them. Eggs take three months to hatch. They will almost certainly try to kill you.

Maybe you could embark a fort on the cave? Then you might be able to tame the baby dragons.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

I've never rode out a full development cycle before. How long do we expect it to be before Toady stops putting out new patches every week or so? As excited as I am for the new version, I have avoided playing while waiting for some of the big bugs to be fixed (everyone being terrified of everything for example) and for the version to stabilize.

A few months. The previous version was released on the 14th of February and its final bugfix on the 4th of June. I'm not sure where in all that the most crippling bugs were fixed, though, or even if there were many crippling bugs.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Couldn't he just do a simple placeholder battle system where whoever has more dudes=winner or something like that?

It depends on what the placeholder is for. He might have not implemented the consequences of a defender winning.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

dragon_pamcake posted:

Actually the wiki specifically says they can't breed because they lack the [CHILD] tag and looking at the raws proves it.

That was fixed in the latest patch, I believe? Creatures don't need a CHILD or BABY stage to reproduce any more.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rasmussen posted:

I grew to love the ascii in this game and don't bother with graphical tiles anymore, but my tiles must be square, not the slightly taller than wider default. My 5x5 rooms need to be square not rectangular!

Here's the tileset I use. It's the default set made into square tiles by adding more space at the sides rather than stretching them out like the square tileset in the game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Also kind of hoping Toady fixes the "invaders always win" off-screen battles so that we can have a succession world rather than just a fortress. That's a bit pie-in-the-sky for this release set though, there's probably complicated reasons he set it up that way.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

scamtank posted:

That goes both ways, though. Civs can reclaim and liberate sites just as easily after they fall.

Oh sure, it just means the fortress won't be how you left it when you come back.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Farm lists auto-sorting and alerting you based on what you have seeds for is nice, especially now that there's a thousand and one different plants. Hopefully we'll be able to pick fruit soon.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's a classic witch test. Starve them, and if they come out alive, they are obviously evil and must be killed.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I tend to make rooms like this.

code:
XXXXXXXXXX
####XX####
#XX#XX#XX#
#XXXXXXXX#
####XX####
#XX#XX#XX#
#XXXXXXXX#
####XX####
#XX#XX#XX#
#XXXXXXXX#
####XX####
XXXXXXXXXX
These blocks of six forming a neat grid pattern that can fit around odd spaces and are fairly easy for dwarves to navigate toward your main hallways.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Don't forget diagonal movement too. Then you can end up with something like this

code:
#######
#++#++#
#++#++#
###>###
#++#++#
#++#++#
#######
Which I think is the most efficient possible four-tile-room layout that doesn't fill your fortress with swastikas.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dreggon posted:

a few questions

1. can this rear end in a top hat break floodgates
2. will this rear end in a top hat break floodgates
3. if i send dwarves to fight this guy will he do some seriously nasty poo poo to them regardless of whether or not he dies
4. do megabeats (i assume that is what this is) normally flash like they're legendary-skilled or am i extra bonus hosed (he's going between yellow and tan, like a farmer/woodcutter)
5. fuckkkkkkkkk
6. do they have trapavoid
7. what do i do

1. Yes
2. Maybe. I've had werecreatures completely ignore my fort's open door. You might be lucky.
3. Yes. They he can infect them with lycanthropy. He might not, though, you could get lucky.
4. That's normal for night creatures like werecreatures.
5. Don't panic.
6. No. I think.
7. Keep all your dwarves inside and make your path of least resistance go through your traps. He'll only by around for an in-game day until he turns back, which is not very long at all. Just hold out. If anyone gets into combat with him, lock them away for a month to make sure they won't turn too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

"Relates to the creation of Tubedeep the Humid Spear in Slappedfigure"

At least we know what the sock is for.

And Tubedeep the Humid Spear is a previous artifact. Are we sure it's a crossbow?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Holy crap, an actual UI improvement?

If only it applied to the Manager too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I suppose really having a full economy simulator and military strategy game are the two big end goals of Fortress mode. I mean, where else do you go from there? Ultimately all of it is going to contribute to one of those two things.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Job overhaul update released!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

Toady is really impressing me with how quickly he is putting out bug fixes these days. How did he go from no releases in two years to a release every couple of days or weeks?

He does this. It's a cycle of one long development with big, sweeping underlying changes where he tries to tackle everything remotely connected to what he's doing, then once that's done he does a bunch of tweak updates with bug fixes and the occasional major gameplay overhaul that turned out to be relatively simple.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

StrangeAeon posted:

I think I'll assign them to the military, then send them into the caverns and wall the way up behind them. They can start a new society in the lightless depths.

Alternatively, make the were-elephants your people, and all new migrants must face a trial by fire (and tusk) to join your presitigious ranks.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that overlapping rooms stop decreasing each other's values after a certain number of rooms. Anyone have any hard math on that?

My recollection is that a room that overlaps another room will have its value reduced by 75%, no matter how many rooms it overlaps with. So if you have five overlapping rooms covering the same valuable objects, you're in higher value than scattering them between the five rooms separately. I don't know if that's changed or anything though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I do remember once seeing a tileset that replaced all the characters with Matrix glyphs. Then all the colours were changed to various greens.

It was awesome.

Edit:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the game would be definitely improved if every object could have a unique sprite, but currently that can't be done. Since you're going to need to abstract some symbols into multiple things anyway, I prefer ASCII, because then at least you don't have elven cities represented by tankards and so on.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

I leave that alone but I have like 50-100 volcanos set as the minimum and I usually embark on a volcano.

I like volcanos.

Volcanoes only appear where volcanism is very high and are always in igneous rock. You might get lucky in also be over a sedimentary biome, maybe if the volcano is in the middle of low-lying land or something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'd give them [CRAZED] or [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] just to give them that driven sense of destruction.

Maybe also remove some of the other animals that appear in their biomes so you're more likely to see them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

Is toady planning to add tech trees like Civ or something?

At the moment, no. All the technology development is just flavour setting for now. It might affect some of the tools civs have available down the line, similar to how animal training is, but I don't think he wants to restrict the things you can do with your fortress very much.

If nothing else you'd probably want to be able to continue advancing world gen for a century or two before making such a thing important; it'd suck to start a fort just to realise no one in your world has invented steel or the archimedean screw yet.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A section of the cavity has collapsed!

I wonder if they way these libraries is functioning is going to inform an eventual shift of workshops to being zone-based. It looks like the mechanics are going to be pretty transferrable, though workshops wouldn't be as autonomous.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If all the barrels are away being hauled, dwarves won't wait for one, they'll just put their item directly in the stockpile. That's probably what's happening.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

abrosheen posted:

Today I had a "vile force of darkness," which the wiki attributes to goblins, siege my fortress, but it was 8 or so elves and nothing else... Goblins went through all the trouble of kidnapping and raising these elves to adulthood just to send them on a suicide mission? At least use them as trap fodder for the main invasion force.

OR maybe they're trying to trick me into starting a war with the elves.

I think "a vile force of darkness" refers to any siege, goblins just being the most common.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Presented without comment.

This civ also really loving loved wrestling competitions.

I think you may have created the Oglaf world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

:stare: Does this really work? I'd never even considered it...

Sure, jump down the giant death-shaft, there's a trampoline at the bottom, I promise! Wheeee!

The game models fall damage as the character being punched by the floor, so lighter floor materials do less damage.