Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's been so long since this development cycle started, I still can't believe that he actually made it so the world is alive after generation, I was expecting that to take another decade or so. Being able to retire forts without abandoning them is also another nice surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I have only one thing I want to see in a future DF release at the moment: managing sites outside your fort. I want to embark into the frozen north to start my own little mini-empire in the foothills of a single lonely mountain.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Good god. If you think the megaprojects some people have made now are insane, then that's nothing compared to what people will be able to do when they can work outside the map square.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Honestly, I'm really happy to see a succession fort that doesn't have to end with it's complete annihilation. I mean, not that complete annihilation is bad, but a change would be nice now and then!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Mostly it's been a lot of stuff in the background, that makes the world live while the game is going on. While your fortress is going wars will begin and end, sites and entities will appear and disappear, kings and queens will die and be succeeded by their heirs and I am pretty sure you can actually start a war that gets your whole civilization wiped out by killing a bunch of traders at the depot with magma.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I have to say, I really like the new race sites. Hill-dwarves can actually build hill-stockpiles and hill-castles, I find it really neat.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Holy crap, it turns out that The slabs you can get at the bottom of a vault have a secret power. After reading one (you may need to carry it with you) you can talk to it's associated demon and use it's true name to instantly banish them or command them to do your bidding. :getin:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Some rather odd spheres can have a part in it I've noticed. But they all have reasonable reasons why. A god of duty does it to make sure that the struggles of heroes never end. I think they're supposed to make demons immortal.

On a related note, I've noticed at least one creature (I can't remember what sort it was) I was told to hunt was specifically noted as having a weakness to the metal copper.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
That was it, likely. But yes, spheres should have prefstrings attached to them for the demonslab mechanics.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
They've had that for ages though. They also taunt you while you run around in them!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't think I can play fortress mode until dwarves compulsively injuring themselves on trees is fixed. I know there are workarounds, but they're kind of a pain in the rear end.

It's not their fault, they've just never seen them before and are curious.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Does anyone know if you make a fort far from your civilization, will hill sites/deep sites will be settled around it during play/after you retire?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Have you tried using the go up stairs key?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
No, they're set in stone according to civ type in the raws. For instance:

[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]
[ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:JUSTIFIED_IF_NO_REPERCUSSIONS]
[ETHIC:KILL_ENEMY:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:KILL_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:APPALLING]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_ANIMALS:SHUN]
[ETHIC:TREASON:PUNISH_CAPITAL]
[ETHIC:OATH_BREAKING:PUNISH_CAPITAL]
[ETHIC:LYING:PERSONAL_MATTER]
[ETHIC:VANDALISM:PUNISH_SERIOUS]
[ETHIC:TRESPASSING:PUNISH_SERIOUS]
[ETHIC:THEFT:PUNISH_SERIOUS]
[ETHIC:ASSAULT:PUNISH_SERIOUS]
[ETHIC:SLAVERY:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]

Humans are perfectly fine with slavery.

Edit: it's likely the war was to acquire slaves.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 13, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Only now? Not really. I mean, when he switched to 3d it took as long as this. Those 1-3 years? Those have always been the years these sorts of releases take.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 25, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

This has to be done at some point, a Dwarf World LP, rather than a Dwarf Fortress. Yeah, there will be no 20 year epics, but whats stopping someone taking a second turn to continue their fort, or someone else taking over said fort if they are interested.

I really think this needs one major thing to be really viable: sites not being insta-conquered out of world gen. The way it is now an invader will always win. Which is just depressing when it comes to retired forts and generally leads to goblin world domination.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

tinkerttoy posted:

Thanks! On the off-chance that my picking them up and taking them away from their nest doesn't screw things up, which it probably will, it'll be pretty drat funny to suddenly unleash several small dragons upon a random hamlet.

This won't work, sadly, dragon eggs do not hatch in the current version. In fact, this is a bug he just fixed in the unreleased version.

E: from the devblog: removed requirement that a creature have a baby/child state to breed completely

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

I was trying to look up if silver barbs were still in the game what with all the new plants in preparation of maybe trying a fortress based entirely around creating black cloth, and discovered that they're actually sliver barbs. I've been reading it wrong for the past six years.

This lead me to discover that silver barbs are actually a sort of fish.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

GenericOverusedName posted:

I kind of wish upset dwarves could express themselves through intentional incompetence in their jobs or something along those lines. Grumpy cook making bad tasting meals on purpose, spiteful carvings, things like that.

So the janitordwarf could basically become a janitor in SS13.

There is actually something like this already. Engravers who really hate someone who detests some kind of vermin will make carvings of that dwarf surrounded by that kind of vermin. Or at least they did, I am not sure if that is still in game.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The best thing about it though, is the nightmare mode option which puts you in a crazy dystopian nightmare state at the start, with death squads with ridiculous judge-dredd esque uniforms, Fahrenheit 451 firemen who burn down your safehouses if you have a newspaper, crazy genetic experiments in the labs (that you can recruit) and mutants swamping the juice bars and co-ops (that are either completely poo poo or have ridiculously high stats).

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
What I'm really looking forward to in this dev cycle is the tavern/hill dwarf stuff. Finally, fortresses will stop being weird pocket dimensions only accessible by armies and caravans. It's really the first step towards tying in the already ridiculously detailed world fully into the gameplay and moving the modes closer together. Especially now that there's a stopgap to prevent your fortresses falling 100% of the time. I wonder how starting scenarios will be chosen and implemented, though..

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

I seem to recall Toady has posted about fixing that the attacker always wins in off-screen fights after worldgen, but I can't remember if that was in reference to a past release or a future one.

Past. It's no longer true, though.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tias posted:

I just had an idea for an RPG session while playing Kobold camp: Players play the part of kobolds defending a warren from heroes, using only bone shards, kobold ingenuity, leather, their own poo poo, and a psychoactive toad to defend their homes with!

I can't really make out of it's an excellent or horrible idea..

Funnily enough, Toady already made this as a computer game: Kobold Quest!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

At the moment, no. All the technology development is just flavour setting for now. It might affect some of the tools civs have available down the line, similar to how animal training is, but I don't think he wants to restrict the things you can do with your fortress very much.

If nothing else you'd probably want to be able to continue advancing world gen for a century or two before making such a thing important; it'd suck to start a fort just to realise no one in your world has invented steel or the archimedean screw yet.

I wonder if he'll have to put artificial restrictions in place at some point so that cross-cultural exchange doesn't result in humans getting all the advances that are supposed to be dwarf-only. Such as steel, actually.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Alright, that's fair. When I was going for DF-clone I was going for the world part, but come to think of it there has been a lot of settlement builder games of DF's sort... which have all fell on their faces, so I guess people can't manage a relatively simpler thing, why expect a world. :v:

The only game that I've ever really seen as coming close to DF in terms of random worldbuilding stuff is Ultima Ratio Regum. It's still in alpha, but the devblog is absolutely fascinating, if not as funny as the DF one can be.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So basically now wizards are a thing that work and magical knowledge is treated as normal knowledge, except for the animate dead skill...

How long until this version will be stable enough to run a forum LP, do you think?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

GenericOverusedName posted:

Please rename it to baseball bat and / or golf club, thank you.

Homerun bat.

...Wait...

Super Smash Bros. Mod?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Slime posted:

I wonder if you could make an alcoholic beverage made from meat, or maybe bones or something.

Who wants to be the first to mod in Kumis?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'm waiting until we get hill dwarfs for our forts to get back into the game.

:sigh:

It could happen tomorrow or it could happen in five years and there's absolutely no way of knowing which it is until it happens.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Lobsterpillar posted:

Hill dwarfs?

Populations under your control outside your immediate fort, the starting point for the 4x part of Dwarf Fortress where nobles actually matter.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's only been obliquely referred to in the future of the fortress post and the interview, but...

:siren: Dwarf Fortress mode dwarfs can now go off map.:siren:

Patrolling the surrounding areas, apparently, is in, at least. Excuse my excitement, but this is really, really important. It's the first fundamental step of opening up fortress mode to being about playing a dwarf kingdom or really just an entity that has an effect on and is effected by the outside world. I mean, from sending out patrols it's only a walk to building wilderness watchtowers and from there on to managing the hill dwarves and the deep dwarves and finally having a true use for appointed nobles.

Think about the day when being appointed with a baron becomes a source for celebration as the game opens up. It may be only a few years away!

NewMars fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 4, 2016

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

All I've ever wanted from settlement typing upgrades is to have the ability to send out parties to found new forts, especially if I could control said party. It would be neat if some level (perhaps a barony or above) could designate them as exiles or honored envoys, respectively giving them less or more embark points. This would create some basic difficulty modes, I suppose.

Have you read up on what toady wants to do with starting scenarios (Which are planned for the end of this current sort of push of updates)?

The idea is that bunch of dwarfs go out to found fort for no reason only becomes one potential starting scenario, with others like strategic fortification, penal colony, ect, having different starting loadouts and the like. It's unclear how goals in the context would work but the starting point is all this civ property stuff that is growing from possession of artifacts becoming important.

Adding to this are the hill and deep dwarfs, which are non-fortress dwarf settlements that are vassals of fortresses and are currently an adventure mode/worldgen thing. When the world map interactions begin, they'll be your main source of off-map warm bodies for armies and the like and the first step in that is implementing them just sort of popping up on their own around any reasonably successful fort.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
New devlog makes NPC companions smarter than quite a few players.

new devlog posted:

That took a while, and there were many deaths, but it seems the infiltrating companions are sorted out now... I manifested with a party of bound companions this time, named "Buddy A", "Buddy B" and "Buddy C". All the same, when confronted by a goblin glassmaker near a watch tower, Buddy A quick-wittedly shouted out "My name is Tode. I'm a human beast hunter from <correct entity name>." And for now, that works. Buddy A held this identity until we made our way out of the site. Your buddies don't yet screw up for any reason. You can screw up, if your identity is chosen very poorly.

Some bugs next!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Hey, so has anyone decided to model their fort's temples on the adventure mode ones? The wiki has an incomplete set of architectural elements used: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Temple

I guess of those there are a couple of interesting things: chaos and deformity temples look like absolute garbage, being made of completely uneven pillar-placements combined with things like a stagnant pool in the middle. Volcano temples somehow get lava pools created by humans in them and a bunch of spheres cover the whole thing in engravings.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Is it wrong to be way more interested in the pre-magic/myth arc candidates? I mean, come on, real armies, conquest and world map interaction, people really doing things, ect. It seems like it's more of a fundamental shift in the way the game is played.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

bollig posted:

Another question, as far as sieges (or whatever)are concerned, where is the actual inside of the fortress, as far as heading towards the fortress is concerned? If you have a hallway between the entrance to the main area (underground) and there are locked doors in the hallway, does that count?

They don't head towards the fortress, they path towards your nearest dwarf via the shortest route. Except if they're building destroyers, then they prioritize constructions or buildings instead.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I think it's really refreshing in an era where like 1 in 2 small game devs outs themselves as a Chud, that Tarn and Threetoe are just a pair of really nice guys.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Can't wait to make water lasers and plasma casters based on generating impossible SS13 levels of heat and pressure.

If you don't turn on the engine within 15 minutes of starting a fort, the singularity breaks containment and unleashes the demons.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
On a similar note, toady tested the eggs code moddability by having geese lay silver chairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'm happy that sites outside the fort exist and can become linked to it, but less so that there's no real interaction of meaning with it yet. I can't wait for DF to have some real empire management aspects.

A bit back, someone asked why the counts and barons and stuff hang around your fort being useless and the actual reason for this is that dwarfs have three types of site: deep halls inside cavern layers in mountains where they craft stuff, hillocks outside where they farm and fortresses, which serve as the link between them. Fortresses are the seat of dwarf administration and they're basically the equivalent of human castles: The nobles stay there because that's the place with the big walls, the soldiers and the wealth.

It's a shame that this stuff isn't really fleshed out yet: I can't wait for the time when getting a noble is a reason to celebrate the opening up of empire management rather than be slightly annoyed.