Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
It is a new thread of awesomeness. It glitters with spikes of wonder, and menaces with bands of kitten-flesh. Yay!

Vander posted:

Been playing this for years, and I still have never used the original tile set. Anyone else like that? Can we get an updated startup guide to tiles?

Yeah, I'm with you. Personally, I'd have the Fortress post start with the LNP right off the bat, if only for easy tileset support and immediate Dwarf Therapist. Then again, what do I know? If I was sane, I probably wouldn't play DF in the first place :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Nietzschean posted:

I made a post on the bay12forums which just tells you exactly what you need to do: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124872.msg4185859#msg4185859.

That's an awesome guide, Nietzschean. Thank you. For posterity (and my own reference) I'm going to include here the list of ideal armor layering you put in the above post. EDIT: Oh, and I will try to remember that it's important stick to this particular order when specifying uniforms, as well.

Nietzschean posted:

steel helm
leather hood
leather hood
leather hood
leather hood
leather hood
leather hood
steel mail shirt
steel mail shirt
steel mail shirt
steel breastplate
leather cloak
leather cloak
leather cloak
leather cloak
leather cloak
leather cloak
steel gauntlets
leather mittens
steel greaves
leather trousers
leather trousers
steel high boots
silk socks
silver (or leather) shields
silver (or copper) crossbows
adamantine (steel if you have to) battle axes

EDIT: VVVVVVVVV Thanks for the material updates, Nietzschean.

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 15, 2014

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Shibawanko posted:

But using adamantine for cloaks seems so wasteful if it's just going to wear down and become useless after a while. And there's no way to prevent wear right?

I'm pretty sure that you can't prevent wear, so adamantine clothing is a really expensive investment.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Splode posted:

The dwarves removed the title and nobody has been selected as a replacement.

Yeah, if your ranking noble dies, they're never replaced, and you're permanently removed from the nobility chain.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Wait, even if they have heirs?

As far as I remember, yes.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Flesh Forge posted:

e: When did Toady nerf the poo poo out of falling damage? I made a drop trap that drops invaders 25z and often they don't take any damage at all. What the gently caress gravity.

I think that's one of Meph's invisible Masterwork nerfs.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Michaellaneous posted:

So, I have played for a good while now, but I never really dug into the buisness of lava (pun not intended).

How can I safely make a tunnel to guide the lava under my furnaces etc? How can I minimize the danger of lava creatures?

So, yeah, you can use lava pumps. Or you can channel out a network you want the lava to flow through, tunnel to one square away from the lava, and then send some reasonably spare idiot to turn the wall into fortifications. S/he's got a chance of survival, and while the lava will come through the arrow slits, critters won't. This has the benefit of being much quicker and simpler than pumps, and only moderately lethal.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Aydjile posted:

please enjoy some art from russian df thread on 2ch.

That's gorgeous! Thank you :)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

ToxicFrog posted:

Do what I did and get your wife hooked on DF too. :v:

You got Pham's wife hooked on DF? That's low, man. Real low.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

scamtank posted:

I wonder if the game has become odd.

:psyduck: Noooo, Toady. Dwarf Fortress is the sanest, most normal game project in the history of mankind. Absolutely nothing odd here. Move along.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm still not sure if you're kidding or not.

Yeah, honestly I'm not sure how much most of the changes will impact on Fortress mode. Lots of stuff in there for the Adventurers, but otherwise, it seems to be mainly having to build taller walls, and seeing some chunkier trees.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Chain-Whip vs Watermelon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whuBjeGxQig

Dual lightsaber Chain-Whip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxJoM4NbDWU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, cages are infinitely big.

Dwarven mastery of applied quantum mechanics is a wondrous thing.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Crimson Harvest posted:

This might be a big request but can anyone provide a brief overview of the things I can do with DFHack, as it stands now for 40.08? There seems to be tons of stuff and I don't even know what I'm doing. Way back when, I really only used it for prospect and digv, so beyond that I'm just swamped with things.

Excellent question... I'd like to see an answer myself. Perhaps we're all lost!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

GulMadred posted:

No. Dwarves will spar much more frequently and thereby train combat skills.

Perhaps. But melee gain is slow, the little buggers barely learn missile skills, and they flat-out refuse to properly equip themselves. It also seems to take them about a month to muster.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

OwlFancier posted:

No I actually really like the idea that all dorf clothing comes with tiny socks for your individual fingers and toes, connected to the main garment by minute threads.

It would explain why dwarven clothing wears out so fast.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Kenning posted:

I just dig out some space for my Deepforges just above the magma and then create a slave caste of smelters with nearby bedrooms, a dining room, and a food and booze supply. They never leave the Deepforges.

My current megaproject goal is to build a multi-city fortress, with active and (if possible) self-sufficient societies at the magma sea, cavern 2, the first rock strata, and the surface. Apart from the miner-elite, everyone else is to be burrowed to their own broad territories.

Success is a long way off...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Coolguye posted:

I lost one burrow completely when an experiment with a surface statue garden to fight cave adaptation went horribly wrong

Wrong? ... or RIGHT? </Zim>

Sounds awesome, anyway. I should probably do something similar to iron out some of the bugs before getting back to CakeLayers...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Kenning posted:

A real dwarf would make clear glass.

I dunno, sounds a bit... fancy to me.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

oddium posted:

They're constructing a giant wooden kea mech

Now that would be an utterly awesome thing to mod in.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

quote:

Description i diced a human crossbowman up pretty good, and forced him to yield. he said "i yield! i yield!" but continued to shoot at me.

Ah, the Skyrim school of combat etiquette, I see.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
November 9, 2014: Toady accidentally imbues the Dwarf Fortress kernel with sentience.
November 11, 2014: Traumatized survivors band together in loose groups, desperately trying to fight back.
November 12, 2014: Lava floods the Eastern Seaboard.
November 13, 2014: Silence.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Angela Christine posted:

Though if that doesn't appeal to you, you can always get a custom DF peripheral.

You could get half a dozen of those, tape them together into a block, rebind them all into a custom key-arrangement, and swap out your old keyboard. It might help... !!SCIENCE!!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Maybe fishing isn't as serene as I thought...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5eo6vAK4OA

OK, it's a tarpin rather than a carp, and it has grindy chunks in its throat for cracking shellfish that could easily splinter a bone, but still...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

quote:

Fortress's reputation as inn/tavern tracked

Holy crap. Dwarf Tavern!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Willie Tomg posted:

What is the interaction between the Fighting skill, and whatever relevant weapon skill?

As I understand it, fighting is the primary skill used for combat, and your weapon skill is just a proficiency thing, there to make your fighting rolls effective. I could be wrong, though.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

TheCIASentMe posted:

God it's awful, but now it's my awful.

Yeah. Dwarf Fortress is the Toxoplasmosis of the gaming world.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

ghetto wormhole posted:

why would you buy a keyboard without letters on it

I got one for my last birthday. It was hell for a couple of weeks, but now my typing speed is about 40% higher than it used to be (and I wasn't exactly a slouch before.)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Lurdiak posted:

So if I start a new game and my liaison outpost immediately doesn't show up, it's probably because I managed to start on a piece of land that isn't connected to the mountainhome's home continent, right? I find it difficult to believe that I'm so unlucky that they're all dead already.

It's something like six months before they appear, isn't it?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Spanish Matlock posted:

It is almost the eve of Hallowmas. The dead will rise on this day. Beware!

The Nightmare Before Dwarfmas.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
The 40.24 Starter Pack r1 is out.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Flesh Forge posted:

Seriously just don't stress about the barrels, who cares if you have a few barrels in your 1,000 tile food stockpile.

961-tile, dammit. :colbert:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Moridin920 posted:

Each door is shared by 3 rooms, and that central hallway/stairway is a great spot to put high value furniture to make dwarves happy. In masterwork that's where I put a bunch of display cases with useless artifacts.

It is superior to other designs because it minimizes walking distance, too.

If you just want efficiency, make a circular room with a radius of 8 squares, with a central stairway, and cram 200 beds in next to each other. Just remember to designate each one as being the size of the whole room. Bam. Depression-proof, vampire-proof hyper-kingly sleeping quarters for all your fort.

Sure, it's ugly as hell, and really cheesing the game, but it DEFINITELY minimizes walking distance.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Great piece on adventurer mode, Jothan. Might be time to give it another go!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Mygna posted:

Then I dodged off some stairs and instantly died five tiles from the slab.

It is inevitable.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

markus_cz posted:

You do a step, step, triple step. The Peasant steps away from you, spinning under your arm. What do you do now?

Holding the peasant's forearm tightly, drop into a forward roll and drag the peasant backwards, hard, onto the ground. As he hits, smash my elbow back hard into the side of his throat.

loving peasants.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Muscle Tracer posted:

Anybody here play Maia? I backed it on Kickstarter and then couldn't get it to work on my computer (lol awesome) and I'm curious how it turned out. Also I never hear about it in DF-lite conversations, probably because it costs money, but hey something to be aware of.

Hm. Backed it, tried an early build once, forgot all about it. I'd be interested to hear if anyone actually played it too.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

JamieTheD posted:

I'm actually going to go and play the latest build right now. It's still in alpha, but I'm definitely seeing the signs of a good, DF-y project. The latest build apparently has the dreaded FEELS baked in now, along with Sanity, and the monsters now actually explore and patrol areas... Which may turn out to be a problem.

I'll be interested to hear what you think. Can't stay up for the stream sadly, but if it sticks around afterwards, I'll watch it :)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Muscle Tracer posted:

Toady's often talked about DF as a story generator, right? Has anybody tried to novelize emergent DF lore outside of directly-game-related LPs?

I've thought about it. As things currently stand, official DF2015 possibility space is batshit crazy, but it's still a bit too claustrophobic to make for a strong non-comedic novel. There's plenty in there for a farce. You could use the lore as an inspiration rather than an accurate recreation, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

my dad posted:

Get some practice with a stable version

:psyduck:

Most. Misleading. Advice. Ever.