Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

scamtank posted:

Are you positive? I thought that version 34 hosed everything big time.

Since Gemclod went on the air on September 19th in '10, the tippy-toppy latest version it could've possibly been is v0.31.13, which came out 4 days prior (and 4 days before v0.31.14, oddly enough). The hospitals were notably screwed at this time.

Looking back through my Gemclod collection I found that all of the saves I was able to get my hands on do, indeed, include the entire game. Apparently we didn't stick to one version: the earliest save I've got is after Leperfish's turn, which I saved on October 14th, 2010, and the release notes show version 0.31.14, while the last one is titled "Gemclod End", from March 23rd 2011, which is listed as 0.31.20/21. Can't remember why Toady listed the version like that, I assume there was a quick second release that day to fix some showstopping bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

New version is out, definitely check it out: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

THAT FUCKIN COOKIE CAN CLICK ITSELF, I GOT DWARFS TO DROWN

I was all set to see you post a link to the new version that just said "No release yet, just a boring devlog", now I'm all disappointed. I thought you were better than this.

Anyway, I've got my seasonal autosaves enabled, Move view up/down (z) keys swapped, "Leave screen" set to the old fashioned Space instead of Escape, and hideous Linear filtering turned off (Nearest Neighbor wins hands down, goddammit). I'm poking around in the site finder now, if I end up with any good stories I'll be sure to share.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Christmas Present posted:

Been playing this off and on since it was a year old or so, back in the 2D fixed map days- one of the weird results of such an absurdly and awesomely long "early access" process is that it's been long enough that the kind of games I play has changed- I have way less patience for tedium and bad UI than I used to and my ability to focus on complex simulations such as DF (or Factorio) has waned.

Any other 30ish DF players feeling this? I still enjoy firing up DF now and then, but I have to have coffee and can't do the 4-8 hour marathon sessions of old.

Really hoping that, as Toady gets older and introduces more dwarf autonomy, more things can be automated as in Distant Worlds, and you can choose your own level of interactive complexity.

Having known the game since a week or two after its first public release, I wish I could say my not having played DF in depth for years was because I've matured, or because my life has taken off and there's anything more important to me, but facing facts I can't deny I just lost the patience to fight through the setup process for a new fort. I'm terrible at the game: to this day I can't get a successful military up and running, and always get my rear end handed to me by ambushes. I know it's just me not trying hard enough, not paying enough attention to the countless tutorials available everywhere, but it's hard to talk myself into playing when I know all my careful preparations will be for naught. I keep saying "oh, I'll get back into it one of these days", but other interests keep drawing my attention and I never do.

Interestingly (though you're welcome to disagree), my patience for clumsy interfaces and obtuse games in general has increased, quite dramatically. I'm not as quick to judge unpolished, or even aggressively hostile games. I've more and more been seeking out things that break The Rules of Game Design and insist on bizarre things that any developer in their right mind would have immediately cut.

I suppose I'm just a weirdo, but I've found myself supremely satisfied with Deadly Premonition (a car fuel mechanic that affects the whole game but exists solely to get you to talk to the two characters who run the gas station; the need to eat food, shave, change your clothes, etcetera, they're weird design choices but they make the game for me), the Half-Life 2 mod "G-String" (being hopelessly lost every thirty seconds means there's a substantial reward for exploration: the rest of the world), and my most recent favorite E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy (the most exquisitely incomprehensible nonsense, I can't get enough of this one). Only a couple of years ago I would have had no tolerance for any of it, but something in my brain snapped and now I want more.

There's just something about Dwarf Fortress that I can't focus on, for some reason. It's notably more intricate than the aforementioned titles, of course, so maybe it really is just about the complexity. As someone who grew up without roguelikes or ASCII graphics, and whose first PC game was Dungeon Keeper, I do find DF an enchanting glimpse into the mind of someone with a fondness for "good old days" that I missed out on, but some sort of proper interface API that let third party developers provide something more manageable, while still letting some of us play with the Improvised Rickety Scaffolding UI, would not be unwelcome.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

my dad posted:

Given enough time, anyone can get it.

Eh, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
If the songs themselves are what you're after, I grabbed a bunch from Tindeck back before that went the way of the Dodo:

BronzestabbedMusic.zip

There's stuff from Loden Taylor, Orthogonalus, PureKamikaze, and a couple other creators; comparing them to that prerelease Krysmphoenix pack shows all those tracks and a few more. The actual XML file (and associated directory structure) to configure in-game Soundsense triggers is nowhere to be found, I'm sorry to say. Guess I didn't hoard this stuff as obsessively as I could have.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Also note the original LP now has many of its images back, thanks to the partial resurrection of Waffleimages. Many are still missing, because tinypic is still gone. In theory I have a lot of those images, because I had goons send me their zips, and I grabbed fan submissions, but I don't think I'd have every single image and this is one of the complicating factors to ever trying to actually archive Bronzestabbed in a reasonable way (the other being its insane length).

I can't do anything about the size of the LP, but if anybody ever comes up with a list of missing files, I'd be happy to try and help. Beside the music tracks and a few save files, my Bronzestabbed folder has ~8700 images in it. 50 of them are 0KB (presumably a problem with whatever archive script I was using; got filenames but no content), and a lot of the pictures are just forum stuff (smilies, profile pics, etc.), but there's a sizeable portion of viewable, actual content. I can't tell Tinypic stuff from Waffleimages at a glance, but they might be in there.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
Okay gently caress me. I was able to buy the game within a few minutes of it going live, but some urgent errands this morning kept me occupied for hours. I finally get back home, play a bit of DF and then check up on this thread to find two hundred ninety-seven new posts from you maniacs to catch up on. Goddamn that makes me happy, as do the player count/sales numbers. Fingers crossed that stuff keeps trending in the right direction!

Despite checking this thread on a daily basis for years now I haven't actually played since before multi-tile trees went in; my first exposure to them in-game is with this nice tileset and translucent Z levels, man those suckers are pretty. I also have to admit I adore the control scheme so far. I've always been an ASCII/keyboard purist in theory, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't appreciate the accessibility of this new GUI stuff. I had a great and very smooth experience just hopping into the tutorial and getting down to brass tacks. The soundtrack is fantastic, but I knew about that already. What I didn't expect was the soundscapes, holy poo poo do those get me in the mood. I'd almost say that ambience is the biggest thing making me itch to get back in there and play right now, strangely enough. Also I left my save right before my first winter started so I want to watch everyone inevitably die.

I do wish the graphics scaling method was customizable for zooming, though, I'd rather Nearest Neighbor for this art style. Got that Bilinear mush going on as it stands right now, which doesn't really do it for me. Thankfully no real complaints for the time being, just that and the backwards zooming/level switching (I tend to think of the scroll wheel as moving the camera in and out, not the world), but I can deal with both.

All in all a tremendously satisfying outcome from years of anticipating this, well done to the whole team! Can't wait to see the Noclip doc surrounding the launch.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
My still-early fort was doing okay, but a child who'd entered a mood died. Tragic, and worse yet his corpse had no place to go, so time to dig a tomb. Simple enough, but as that gets underway I notice more and more dwarves getting upset they can't pray, so I figure I'll tag out a space for a temple nearby, two birds one stone! Things started well, but I really wanted to make it nice, so I had both rooms set to be smoothed and engraved. The work was slow enough that I could watch the status bar and see everyone becoming ever more miserable; hang in there guys, I'll solve this problem if you just work with me. Spring turns to summer, things are going to be down to the wire to finish this before everyone totally loses their poo poo. Coffins built and ready to install, a door added, so close I could taste it...then my power goes out. Once it's restored and I'm back in game I discover to my horror that:

Autosaves are not seasonal by default.

I misread "semiannual" when I initially perused the settings menu, and the last save I had was months of game time earlier. A bit meta for my taste, but losing lots of hard work and careful plans is in the spirit of DF! Right? :| Time for a UPS, I guess.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
If I could ask for a little help:

1.) Is there a way to make a tomb that's one giant room with a bunch of coffins in it and have my dwarves not stack all the dead people on top of each other? I tried setting the whole room as a tomb, and I tried destroying that zone and making a bunch of one-tile tombs over each coffin, but either way everybody gets dumped into the first coffin I placed. Efficient, sure, but not the grand burial space I'd envisioned.

2.) What does it mean that my carpenter has the unmet need "be with family"? She's apparently "lonely after being away from family for too long", but she regularly has No Job and is free to do as she pleases, as far as I can tell. I think I remember back in the old days a military patrol schedule that went on too long might do something like that, but I don't have a military yet. Her relations tab shows no family in the fort, is the game just referring to her family back where the expedition came from? Or was she maybe married to my dead fisherdwarf and he just disappears from the relations tab upon death?

In other news I got my first petition to join the fort, from a bard who's...bad with words. Maybe bards are more about the instruments than lyrics, but still.

Also as much as I liked the graphics out of the gate, they're getting even more charming the more new stuff I come across. Just look at this adorable little dude:

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

My dwarf is VERY unhappy because he's been away from family too long -- when i check relationships, he has no family. Come on dwarf :(

Oh I didn't even think about that. I've been dealing with the same thing and had assumed the wording meant they had a family they wanted to be near and I was doing something wrong, but maybe they're actually longing to start a family and it's just the text descriptions are only an indirect, let's say "poetic" reflection of that. drat. :(

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
I'm more than 40 pages behind the thread (having too much fun playing to read it as much), but I just stumbled over this sad story and had to share my grief.

Poor little guy.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
Oh, sorry, I meant he's got the "socialize" activity while standing in an empty room. I know the feeling, I empathize with the fellow.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
Automine is phenomenal until suddenly it's not, drat. Started a new fort on a map with a lonely limestone outcropping sticking up out of the dirt. Got a notification I'd discovered a cave, and sure enough in the face of this outcropping there's an entrance. I decided to use it as the entrance to my fort, going au naturel with no stairs, just the upward/downward ramps of the cave as the path through my fortress. Set up my usual rooms and workshops, things are going great.

Some exploratory digging later I chance upon noticing that my miner toiling away in the depths is starving, dehydrated, and "hunting for small animals". It seems that although inching my way downwards in the cave and tagging all the silver, gold, and gems I could find with the automine option seemed like a good way to check out the lower levels, that feature can have the miner accidentally wipe out of existence the upward ramp that provides their path back to the surface (i.e. booze). I scrambled to dig new access to get them back, and although it was tense I managed to save the day! Most importantly, of course, I learned a valuable lesson and took it to heart.

Just kidding it happened again and they died.

From the surface level of -1, I had made it down to -104 and had the game running in the background waiting for the fog of war to lift when the miners got close enough. After a suspicious lack of progress I checked and found both dwarves listed as missing, after which I manually scrolled through Z levels to find their washed out, sad little corpses myself. I can't see the actual up/down ramp that's missing this time, so either it's just hard to see or I really did get greedy and dig too deep, so far that they couldn't get back to the food and drink in time. Neither would surprise me.

I have fewer than 30 dwarves so far, and hadn't planned on burial chambers just yet, but no time like the present! Stupid mistakes still put a smile on my face after all these years, and I still cannot believe how much I love to suck at this game.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm curious how you did the designations, because I've not yet had a dwarf follow a vein "down"-- they've only followed automine designations horizontally, and I don't know if that means I got lucky with no veins running across z-levels or what

To be fair I sort of designated a few individual tiles and moved on, then came back later to discover the issue, but as I recall their digging only ever expanded horizontally, they never moved up or down. The problem I think is that on the same level there was a naturally occurring upward ramp that was made of the same material I wanted them to mine (I moused over the walls but never really paid attention to what the floors were made of). I had expected automine to only give out "dig" designations, not the kind that eliminate ramps or carved stairs, but I think I was wrong.

If it's not that then I'm doing some other dumb thing, which honestly I wouldn't put past me.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
Thanks for the tips, everybody, lots of good info I want to say sounds vaguely familiar? I know I messed with automine way back when it was first introduced, but it's been so long I'm basically new to it.

Telsa Cola posted:

I forget exactly how it works (probably on the wiki) but if you dig out certain normal squares around ramps it reverts the ramp to an open/nonramp space. Which is possibly what happened.

Gnoman posted:

The described interaction can occur with purely horizontal digging. If you're using ramps to move between Z-levels, it is very possible for your automine designation to remove the walls around the ramp. This not only makes it unusable, but usually makes it cease to exist.

I believe these account for the original problem, the one I recovered from, as seen here:

That open space used to have a downward slope, and directly below it an upward slope to match. Seems obvious they vanished when the surroundings were mined. The stairs are what I hastily dug out to save my miner.

The new problem, where two miners died, is a bit more curious:

Doing what amounts to the DF equivalent of git --bisect, by trying to construct a table on various Z levels, shows me these two levels are where things go pear shaped. On the upper level I can place a table just fine, but one level down and "no access to table". It's an awkward looking tile graphic, but it's clearly labeled as a pair of slopes and doesn't say "unusable", shouldn't it connect the levels? Or am I misinterpreting what that tile is showing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Crackmaster posted:

It's an awkward looking tile graphic, but it's clearly labeled as a pair of slopes and doesn't say "unusable", shouldn't it connect the levels? Or am I misinterpreting what that tile is showing?

Oh, poo poo, I think I get it; ramps don't just need adjacent floor on the level above, they need adjacent walls on their own level, so since my east, southeast, and south connections got mined out, the ramp now only connects northeast, which on the upper level is solid wall, so nobody can walk the ramp anymore. Gotcha. Well that's what I get for working with what the land gave me and ignoring my usual 3x3 staircases. Learning is fun!