Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I made my first 2014 fortress this weekend and the brewer became king of the entire dwarven civilization before the first trade caravan showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dug around in legends mode for a bit and discovered an absolute badass of a troll that's 460 years old and has 105 kills on other trolls. It's still alive and I'm looking forward to testing its magma resistance.

Such a great name too:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

DarthJeebus posted:

Decided to jump in and play the latest version after a bit of a hiatus, but it seems I can't brew anything.

I've got lots of plump helmets and enough empty barrels to get the job done, so I'm a little bit stumped as to why I can't brew. I'm down to two drinks :ohdear:

Make sure you have a dwarf with brewing enabled, a still built where he can get to it, (burrow permissions?), that plump helmets are permitted for brewing in the kitchen tab, that the plump helmets aren't forbidden in the stocks tab, and that there isn't some weirdness with give/take stockpile & workshop rules blocking those helmets from that still.
E: Same goes for the barrels

Double edit: Can we move to E/N and be the new autism awareness thread?

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 24, 2014

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

Why did it take me so long to realize that DFHack lets me Ctrl+A to choose what material will be used for a job? This. Changes. Everything.

Oh my god I've been cheating suboptimally for so long.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I started with Phoebus around DF2010 or so and now CLA "graphics" with TWBT is a happy medium. Retro flavor, but square, as God intended.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 14, 2015

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A poetic riddle intended to raise suspicion that you are a necromancer and earn lavish obsidian quarters.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

I believe that doesn't work in DF 2014

I've been using it for migrants and caravans in the latest version of the starter pack, it just doesn't seem to work for the first few months after embarking for some reason. Haven't tried seiging myself yet though.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Don't forget to build a stepladder, can't harvest trees without one.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Pharnakes posted:

It's the default sized world and site.

How do I go about gearing up for trading then? Reading the wiki sugests I need a bookeeper to determine what I have available, and then a broker to decide how much it is worth and to handle the trading negotiations. What are some good things to make early to trade, I have acess to silver and lead and plenty of low grade gems, as well as marble, which I think I read is worth twice as much as other stone. Since I'm going to have to import everything, I would want my exports to be of the highest quality, how do I arrange it so that only one dwarf crafts stone, one makes metal crafts, ect?

Also is there any trade value in renewable stuff I can make like food or booze or wood crafts? (not to elves obviously).

How do I see who my neighbours are now that I have embarked?

If you have a single tile of sand anywhere on the map, quality serrated glass discs are so valuable it's practically cheating. Valuable to you as well as in terms of dwarfbucks, 10 of those per weapon trap is no joke.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Holy poo poo, there's a way to make sheep even stupider than they might be otherwise?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

At One With The Slab was a legendary elk-bird leather bound book. The written portion consists of a 131 page guide entitled At One With The Slab, authored by Reg Roofcloister. It concerns the garnierite slab Necrohero. The writing is depressing and it is quite florid.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

My current fort's civ has a lot of interesting artifacts. There's the solid stone guitar which must be played with a bone plectrum, the colossal fuckoff pipe organ that has over four hundred pipes, and the block of wood. It's just... it's just a block. You take the block and you hit it, and it makes a noise, and the noise is art.

This civ has the dwarfiest music ever.

They've invented the Mississippi Drum Machine!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:iit:-"It'll be easy to diversify when we understand undeath better."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

nielsm posted:

Actually the LD was calculated correctly. The problem was that a drop licked off a paw contained the same amount of alcohol as a full keg of beer. He rather made sure to keep track of how much contaminant was being tracked around.

wait so we have now another liquids system that's more granular than 0-9 per square?

MAH FRAMERATES

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Once you get the hang of it, setting up several separate small stockpiles for cooking is actually pretty easy, and necessary if you want your lazy-rear end dwarves to use different ingredients rather than just making plump helmet roasts consisting of plump helmets, plump helmets, plump helmets and plump helmets.

Nothing but nothing breaks this game harder than ☼Quarry Bush Leaves Roast☼

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CLA is extremely my poo poo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Framerate: Ease pathfinding by keeping the population under control, designate traffic zones, and avoid mining out big open areas. Use quantum stockpiles. Chop all the trees. Turn temperature off.

Train a farmer, cook, and glassmaker up ASAP because Quarry Bush Leaves Roast and Glass Serrated Disc traps are game-breakingly OP.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CLA 4 lyfe

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I miss mining skill increasing boulder yields, allowing me to send swarms of untalented hacks to clear out garbage stone rooms relatively cleanly.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I hope the future dwarven economy implements mania-fueled ingredient price bubbles every time someone gets a mood

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

make your embark big enough to cover a entire island and make your battle one against FPS death and only growing the population through natural birthrate

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That settles the pasture door locking debate pretty definitively

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've been taking over the spare parts stock management and refurbishment at work while the former guy transitions to retirement and I am deeply troubled by how closely the dfhack workflow plugin resembles SAP MM: The Game

...:negative:I actually caught myself trying to use SAP transaction codes in DF the other day

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 3, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Captain Cappy posted:

Is it unethical to let visiting nobles from other civilizations live?

What do your heart and his list of demands tell you?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

abrosheen posted:

Thank you, I was going to try this next, glad to know in advance it doesn't work!

I think instead of making everyone else axedwarves, I'm going to put everyone but the miners/choppers in military units with leather armor and shields at least. Then maybe they can block a few attacks while the military dwarves finish their beers.

The fact that any part of this sounds like the military in real life is hilarious and frightening.

The DF military system is significantly less dysfunctional than any real one.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This isn't an aquifer, it's a visualization of the actual pathfinding algorithm in DF

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So I seeded the opening of a character sheet into Talk To Transformer...

:magical:

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 14, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The real answer is glassblowing

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CLA is already perfect though

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

DarkDobe posted:

a dwarf trying to choke out his own child but dying of thirst before finishing the job (at which point the demons busted into the room and tore the kid to pieces).

new title

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

0.23.130.23a

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

a fair omen

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

15 years of singlethread CPU being the only spec I look at while pc shopping because of this game

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

What, do you want to live forever?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm thinking about taking a day off work, not to play this but to watch twitch streamers who have no idea what they're getting into try to play it for the first time LIVE BEFORE THOUSANDS

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Comrade Koba posted:

I predict the first weeks reviews will be about 50/50 positive/negative, with 99% of the negative ones being from people with <30 minutes played posting things like OH MY GOD YOU CANT EVEN MOVE YOUR GUYS OR TELL THEM TO DO THINGS WHAT IS THIS poo poo

nah Prison Architect has prepared the masses for the mechanics

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

introversion had introspection, Paradox went straight to their default position of "KILL ALL THE SPARE HEIRS BEFORE THEY GET HUNGRY"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Kins posted:

Vaguely interesting/useful information from this AMA:

• There's a new "animal agitation system"...

eagerly looking forward to new mandatory add-on Cat Therapist

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

eonwe posted:

So, something I just never really interacted in this game significantly was prepared meals. How do I do prepared meals without risking running out of seeds?

Is it mostly safe if I make prepared meals but I forbid the use of seeds?

quarry bush leaves

so many quarry bush leaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

How many video games can say they finally got a 1.0 release on the 10th anniversary of their accession to the Museum of Modern Art

https://www.moma.org/collection/works/164920