Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mr. stefan posted:

Are you people seriously asking for DP to include recap episodes just so thy can blow up every fight in part 3 into a full episode
Yes.  I  am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CJ posted:

The narrator said the coffin had a false bottom in the intro.
Dio laying in there as they pull Erina aboard, all "Yes! Yes!"

*splash*

:mad:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Momomo posted:

So how in the world did Joseph figure out how his stand worked?
In addition to hating cops and Japanese, Joseph Joestar hates cameras. To his great surprise, one day something happened.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

darealkooky posted:

People have covered most of the stuff I was gonna say, so let me just add that ripple is only really effective against vampires

The simple fact of "I don't need to set every one of my fight scenes at night/in a building with no windows/underground" adds tons of potential
I don't know, Ripple did a lot of other stuff, but it's true that most of that was probably already covered well in other fields. I think Araki could've gotten an intermediate story using the tropes out between Pt 1 and Pt 2 but past that he would've more or less exhausted that field.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's cool, after we're done with talking about sexism, it'll be time to talk about Araki's somewhat racist depiction of a certain culture.

I assume they're going to skip that like his caricature of Mexican people, right?
Do you mean Avdol? Avdol is certainly dressed weird but doesn't seem to be getting portrayed as a particularly weird guy other than his giant anal bead necklace and weird bedouin robe. If anything he makes Joseph look like a dumbass. Joseph Joestar seems to be kind of racist.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Pomp posted:

"Kind of"
Hey, he had a black friend :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WickedHate posted:

An Egyptian friend. :colbert:

Given that he was born in 1920, Joseph is pretty alright as far as that stuff goes.
I was talking about Smokey! How soon we forget.

I imagine Joseph's just butthurt that some jazz musician and his jazz cigarettes stole his daughter to the mysterious Orient, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PrivRyan posted:

Joseph was never racist. When did this start getting around?

I can't wait for more Polneraff antics later on in the story doe
I dunno man, look at the facts. He swears about the Japanese and he had close ties with Nazi scientists!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Artum posted:

Zeppeli says as much, that the pinky jab was to force Jonathan to use the ripple and heal himself.
Doesn't he do it to Speedwagon and Speedwagon is just like "guhhhhh" and doubles over discreetly?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Robviously posted:

I hereby motion we refer to Vegeta as Veggie Wang Chung from here on out.
Please, Wang Chung succeeded in his missions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rodyle posted:

I think if Jotaro punched another human being they'd explode though.
Kakyoin himself is pretty ripped, it's just that he's being compared to Jotaro here.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm all for the extra Joseph scenes, in fact, I like to think they're adding them to make up for the OVA where Joseph had no personality whatsoever.
The current pace encourages me because it seems likely we'll have 39 episodes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I fundamentally enjoy Kakyoin's face in this situation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

quote:

Nessus's stand is World's Boy, capable of copying gases! Rank: A+
I will assume this is a riff on "Search and Destroy" by the Stooges.

quote:

Redacted's stand is Soft Yellow, capable of manipulating viruses! Rank: ??
Great, Araki wrote me out :mad:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

boredsatellite posted:

There's a reason the previous Phantom Blood never even made out of the theaters
I really want to know more about this, it sounds fascinating. I can only assume Araki killed some people.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm a bit confused as to what happened to Forever. Did Jotaro kill him which is why his Stand disappeared? Or did he just beat him unconscious?
Pretty much. Presumably it took a while to dissipate because it was so big, or if you want to be real creepy, he didn't die right away.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

The main thing I always found weird was the Stand users being sent to attack alone. It's sort of explained by Devo's comment about them not wanting to show their Stands to each other, but that implies that they fear each other more than they fear Jotaro's group, which is somewhat odd.
They also probably aren't used to fighting other Stand users either. It doesn't seem impossible that the Joestar team has the highest concentration of Stand on Stand experience in the world at the time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kanos posted:

I wonder if Fake Heirophant Green was visible to non-stand users, come to think of it.
It seemed like it wasn't, but I also don't think Ann and Jotaro were looking that way. Jotaro wouldn't have cared, but Ann presumably would have poo poo in her pants.

The mugger probably didn't look either.

What I liked is that Jotaro only started getting concerned after like backbreaker repetition #4. But then he probably figures getting crunched a couple times for attempted theft is Justice.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Currently, I wouldn't say that any of the current side characters have been more useful than Stroheim, but they have been miles ahead of most of the other characters in Parts I and II considering that they actually have won fights.
Yeah, other than Joseph's ongoing battle with his own racism they've all gotten a win in, haven't they?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kanos posted:

That was the reasoning, yes, but instead of going "Yo Jojo I survived the bomb in Mexico and we need to work together on this again" he decided to be enigmatic about it, then instead of going "Yo Jojo I'll hold this fool in place while you ripple him to death and solve all of our problems" he had to show off how Nazi engineering is the best in the world.

poo poo, the only reason why the fight in the snowfield/crevasse took place at all is because Stroheim took the Aja for himself and got punked instead of leaving it in the hands of a crazy rear end ripple master like Lisa Lisa.
Well Stroheim was kind of hosed in the head. The guy was a professional Nazi.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Denim Avenger posted:

They call this out at the end of Battle Tendency, the other Pillar Men that Cars and ACDC slaughter turned on him because his plan was unsustainable. Which is weird given Cars is suppose to be a super genius or something, but whatever really.
Cars was setting out to achieve a goal and by god he managed to pull that off. Even if that goal was self destructive you have to admire his pluck. Also, his hair.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I love how this looks like such a stereotypical vampire hunter outfit, like Alucard from Hellsing or Vampire Hunter D.
It seems not impossible that they're actually ripping off Kars, given the time frame.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hypocrisy posted:

One thing I've always wondered is if Hol Horse actually knew Nena was the Empress.
I suspected Empress got to her between Hol Horse showing her his elephant, and all that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DamnGlitch posted:

What the loving poo poo how is that guy so young still.
Where do you think Santana went? Makes you think.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Van Dine posted:

DIO should have an English accent, certainly. I don't see how him being a walking force of nature would just instantly and randomly change his accent to something else too unless it seemed that he had a particular reason for doing it (but maybe he'll turn out to be someone who idolises some country in particular, who knows?). And I'm going to be so disappointed if Polnareff doesn't sound French.
I agree on Polnareff, but keep in mind that the great preponderance of DIO's existence has been in a box at the bottom of the ocean.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mr. stefan posted:

Joseph's out of practice, lost his conditioning from fifty years as a real estate mogul, and most of the skills he had to begin with aren't really applicable to his Stand, which is pretty non-intuitive as far as combat applications, as compared to Star Platinum's obvious utility of "punch dudes"
He probably only kept up some real basic ripple exercises, since presumably there would be very few vampires kicking around any more. (Presumably there are also a few other hamon dudes from the place where Zeppeli got trained so it's not like he'd be totally abandoning anything.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I just realized a little touch when Joseph was ordering - he was getting Enya a kebab too. :shobon:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's kind of amusing how everyone softens up to Enya a bit despite her trying to murder them.

Also, is it just me, or did the ropes she was tied up in disappear since the last episode?
Well, they had her outnumbered and knew how her Stand worked. She might have been a threat to Joseph alone, maybe, but the rest of them knew exactly how to beat her, and she wasn't in a giant cemetery any more. Might as well treat her nice :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

e X posted:

You can easily see how Arrakis's idea about Stands shifted while writing. In the beginning, they were pretty clearly 'evil spirits'. All humanoid and all with basically just some form of melee attack.
I think they were all intended to be representations of psi powers (Jotaro had psychokinesis, Avdol pyrokinesis, Joseph remote viewing/spirit photography) but that started breaking down with Kakyoin. It's a bit interesting that up til the end of the episode with Kakyoin the series seems to be going in a wholly other direction - this is actually common to all three of the parts we've seen thus far, it suggests a different and still interesting story and then LEAPS OFF THE RAILS INTO CRAZY TOWN

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

amuayse posted:

If you think about it, you could just substitute the Wierding Way with Hamon.
Also, when Jotaro fought Kakyoin, was all that really defeated Heirophant the fact that Star Platinum could just block Emerald Splash? It just seemed a rather weird case where it just boiled down to "My punchghost is stronger than yours" rather than "I almost lost, but I used a crazy strategy to defeat you!". I guess since he was Jotaro's first real fight against a bad guy, they had to highlight how badass SP was first.
I think it was more psychological than that; Jotaro let Kakyoin build himself up, then tore him down, and then while he was like "whhhahaaaaaa?" brutalized his Stand into submission. I imagine in some hypothetical ideal stand matchup they'd be pretty even - Jotaro may not be able to instantly beat anyone but he's certainly able to tie a lot of people.

He'd totally own Hol Horse for instance :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Maybe not Chariot is faster and almost as acurate as Star Platinum and Hol's bullets got past his defenses. If Hol used the fact that his gun has unlimited ammo and used the guiding bullets enough he could probably get some shots through his defense. If there are 10 or so bullets trajectory changing bullets on all sides of him his super eyesight won't really do much as he won't be able to track them all. Hol just has to keep his distance and keep firing bullets around Jotaro while keeping them out of his range while sending them in when his stand can't see them.
Ah, but did Hol Horse only get past Polnareff's defenses because Polnareff didn't know his Stand power. That's the Jojologist question here.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Spacedad posted:

Part 2 was more or less your 'get stronger, fight big bads' formula that so many other manga were following around that time. It tries to be as over the top and awesome as it can be, and it does so wonderfully.

Part 3 is more like a game of dungeons and dragons - all the characters have their own specialized skills and roles, and it's about traveling to different places and facing different encounters as puzzles to be solved. Overwhelming strength is utterly useless in the face of cleverness and advantage.

The main character Jotaro represents the kind of restraint that Araki was interested in exploring after the flamboyancy in part 2. In my opinion, it makes for greater impact. The 'lovers' episode really shows off well what this series is about. Very strong and capable 'lion'-like characters chained up from exhibiting justice on really rather nasty bad guys. But when the bad guys have their plans foiled by the cleverness of the heroes, you get the wonderful brutal payoff of ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA.

Part 2 is a sugar rush. A very good sugar rush. Like a good strawberry ice cream shake.

Part 3 is built to last. I view it more like a very good hamburger. Yum yum. (It's lunchtime here for me.)
Does this make DIO... the bread?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I feel like they made Joseph a lovely pilot because wasn't his dad some crazy flying ace?
Well in a sense it's not really Joseph's fault.

Crash 1: He was a child and was starting poo poo against hijackers. Self defense.
Crash 2: He had been fighting super-vampires all night and was being pursued by a hyper-super-vampire. He was also attacked by piranha.
Crash 3: Fifty years later; the actual trained flight crew had been murdered and Joseph successfully completed a water landing with no casualties.
Crash 4: Poor estimation of low-ceiling ground hazard of a sort that many a pilot makes; many a pilot who is not a seventy year old man who is also getting kicked in the shoulder repeatedly by Kakyoin. Even Hermit Purple's control doesn't seem to let HIM react faster, it just makes him interface better with the electronics.

He also had zero fatalities in any of these crashes.

The most sensible thing for them to do would have been to get a Lear jet from the Speedwagon foundation and use Hermit Purple to fly it at high altitude to Cairo, or at least Tel Aviv or something. Of course, they would have missed Polnareff along the way, and also missed out on icing J. Geil, so I guess it works out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Aside from the hijackers, Grey Fly, and the dead pilots.
Hijackers were self defense! As for the others, Kakyoin killed Grey Fly, Grey Fly killed the pilots, none of these were Joseph's doing!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

only insane people and joseph get stands

well maybe also the 4th jojo but this isn't the thread for that
Avdol had his poo poo together, and Hol Horse seems like an rear end in a top hat but not a madman.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DamnGlitch posted:

I read that yesterday too and was like "what the gently caress"

I guess jojo will turn into rear end poo poo suddenly around 2020?
Assuming that the later parts get a similar treatment to this, we'd probably have run off, since the manga is monthly now.

Like we'd have pt 4 from 2015-16, pt 5 from 2016-17, and so on.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Long, boring speeches.
Montana Max's speech is like two paragraphs tops. Have you ever seen the galt?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm sure Dio would have had to have seen his Stand at least once.
He has staff you know. Being exposed to The Sun doesn't kill them instantly, it didn't even severely hurt the team once they got out from under.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Soylentbits posted:

Vampires tend to be really good at killing people. And Dio is really drat intelligent and charismatic.
He's also apparently rich, since he gave Steely Dan a hundred million up front. Even if that was supposed to be yen that's a pretty non-trivial sum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Forgall posted:

He can mind control people. I don't think acquiring money is an issue.
Maybe he's challenging the Speedwagon Foundation's oil profits.

• Locked thread