Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Yes but the audio interface isn't a microphone, hence, DSP processing

That setting is just for decoding a mid/side microphone configuration. So, yes, it's DSP processing, but no, it's not "giving you more headroom". You're getting all kinds of weird phase issues when decoding a non-M/S encoded input, especially because you indicate you were juicing the stereo width.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

Anybody using an Expert Sleepers interface? I recently picked up an ES-4 and am confused if I should be using 'SW ES Voice Controller' or 'SW Voice Controller'.

Use the ES-4 Voice Controller plugin. It's designed specifically for the ES-4. Watch the videos on the Expert Sleepers site.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I still rock the ES-1 because it's not real if it's not painful to use.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

http://tinyurl.com/o4jdrvw

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Have you guys been sharing my video or something? It's like the 10th result when searching for "timbrewolf" on youtube now :allears:
It also has over 1500 views, which is hilarious. I think it's gotten like 200 views since I woke up too.

I posted it on the muff wiggler FB page. It's been very well received.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

unghhhhhhhh http://vimeo.com/117417249

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I've started writing music again! :eng101:

It's still terrible! :eng99:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

This box is basically every overdrive/distortion/saturator in one and is overpriced and therefore I need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39bAgYANGW0

$1500

"It's an Emptyset album in a box!"(TM)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Yo 3/03 acid whatever woo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Qr7V9GmUU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Sizone posted:

Why, this the anniversary of boring music? I thought that was every day.

u dumb

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Dishman posted:

how loving rad is it

well, it has buttons AND knobs so...

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Anyone fuckiong around with the Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators?
https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/po

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Got a USAMO on the way. Will post vids hopefully showing my MD actually syncing with Live as soon as I get it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

First, this has always been a stupid debate and always will be. Second, there are a lot of misconceptions about early DCOs vs current DSP oscillators. A DCO (like, from the '80's) are ramp-core analog oscillators, they just use a microprocessor to control the waveform reset which was handled by a comparator circuit in a "pure" analog VCO. In a VCO, the sawtooth wave was compared to a reference voltage. Once the sawtooth exceeded the ref voltage, the comparator triggered the reset. A VCO poly has the (to some) pleasant drift simply because sometimes the comparator or the reference voltage source drifts. Now your waveforms don't reset at the same time and you have "fat". The part of the circuit in the DCO that creates the waveform is still analog, the circuit that waveshapes the ramp-out to create a square, triangle, and sine out are still analog.

Some VCOs sound thin and lovely, some DCOs sound thin and lovely, some DSP oscillators sound huge and amazing. Judge an oscillator on its own merits not architecture.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Scatterfold posted:

...and then there's the timbrewolf :getin:

Its reference voltage is derived from the sample of a wolf howling at the moon.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i wasnt even saying its a misnomer, just that the definitions stretching over time, like how bbd delays are called analog despite being discrete in time. certainly modern cpus can clock a cap fast enough to give even better control of pitch. personally i find it depends on the music. real live vcos make drone so much more exciting, just as correct intonation makes hooks hooky.
analog synths being generally considered those with simple multivibrator waveforms, analog filters, amps, and circuits to push into warm overdrive, i certainly see nothing wrong with someone else calling dco synths analog. personally, having grown up listening to too much la monte young, i reserve the term for things which will go out of tune when you look at them wrong. my use of the term may be a little more accurate in an electronic sense, but i think for musical usage analog certainly covers both.
even vcos can have jumpy tuning if their pots are scratchy enough, right?

It really looks like you're hung up on discrete-time vs continuous-time re: a very pedantic interpretation of analog vs digital.

Also, my Piston Honda would like to have a word with whatever 100% analog VCO you want to throw against it in a drone-off.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Startyde posted:

They're all poo poo.

Elements' Easter egg mode is a dual 2-op FM voice. Full case and an empty wallet, sitting this one out but god drat.

That's cool. I don't have the room though...

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

toadee posted:

The Yamaha CS-80/GX-1 would accept your challenge.

Analog: Nothing $70-80,000 can't accomplish!

I don't have 16 Piston Hondas to make this a fair fight.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Startyde posted:

Good thing, that's Old Testament, real wrath of god type stuff.

"Gungnir" now I just have to win the lottery.

You'll need another 18U of VCAs.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Okay cool that's basically what I was asking. Most of the videos I've seen are just a lot of nonmusical farting noises so I was wondering (don't kill me) if anyone ever used these things for actual songs

lol. No.

We didn't buy these to make music.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mr. Sharps posted:

Psh speak for yourself.

Didn't say it was good music though.

I didn't mean to cause another stupid derail with my flippant comment. Your melodic stuff is very nice.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

it's a really bad idea for me to ask this (because :homebrew:), but what's the bare minimum i would need to get started with eurorack? should i start with just a VCA, VCO, filter, and maybe a sequencer or midi-to-cv module, or should i get something somewhat self-contained like this and add stuff over time?

A Intellijel Atlantis is basically a semi-modular SH-101. You could do much worse starting out.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I'm in love with glassy/watery tones. None of that 8 bit poo poo. What do I need to make this tia.

"Glassy" screams FM to me. "Watery" makes me think of Korg-like filters. Everyone else will have a different idea.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

nice. that's on the top of my list for sure.

what sequencer modules do people like?

I have (and love) both a Rene and a PP + Brains combo. Would love to get a Metropolis. I also use my ES-1 and lots of bizarre Reaktor sequencers.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Just ordered a Disting. I worry I'll want 2 more as soon as I get it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

breaks posted:

By the way for folks in the USA who are interested in some Doepfer modules, the favorable exchange rate makes them a lot cheaper at Thomann than at Analoguehaven. Like 2/3rds the price or even less.

With shipping?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Sizone posted:

No, riding the bike regularly will get you into pretty good shape.

I stopped and got fat again. Don't stop riding.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

My birthday is coming up.

What are you all going to get me?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

All of these gifts suck.

I already have VD :(

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

Having read up on the Disting, I'm going to put one in the last 4hp of my main case. Can't find one in stock anywhere though!

Cannot believe that I just ordered almost 9 full U of modular. I am a little giddy.

:getin:

Control Voltage has them in stock.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

snorch posted:

What the hell do you want with a thing that's just one voice?

It's not one voice. Also, yeah, monosynths are really undesirable. :rolleyes:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Bolange posted:

Since we're talking Eurocrack.....What would you guys suggest as a quality meaty oscillator? I already have a Braids and a Tides but I'd like to add at least one more sound generator into the rack. I'm not looking to drop $800 on an oscillator but it would be nice if it had some decent cv control (pwm, ability to be FMed, etc). Primary use will be layer with the other for thick drones. This is what I'm working with currently:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/135529

I plan to add a Maths for more modulation options and some vcas in the near future.

Edit: I have 208hp worth of more racks on the way so I don't need some super cramped 2hp monstrosity or anything.

I love my TTA Z3000 MK2. Super stable, linear and expo fm, hard and soft sync, pwm, built in waveshaper for the sine a tri waves, beefy waves. Good stuff. It's a great meat-and-potatoes-with-a-little-hot-sauce analog osc.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Sizone posted:

Reaktor's not a cheap or nice way to get any sounds.

I disagree. For the price you get a metric fuckton of synths and effects from the user library.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

modular chat: so i have a tiptop Z8000 as the sequencer for my modular and i think i kind of hate it, but that probably just means i don't understand how to use it correctly.

the fact that there are 10 different sequencer seems difficult to take advantage of if i want to use the output for notes. i only have one quantizer, so if i want to run more than one simultaneously i have to tune all but one by hand. what am i missing? am i just failing to embrace analog?

this is my setup:

Well, with only one quantizer (I'm assuming you're using the Disting for that), you're only going to be able to quantize one voltage. That's just the way the cookie crumbles. You have the Pitts MIDI-3 midi->converter. Set that to DUO mode and you would get a second quantized melody. Use the second channel gate out from the MIDI-3 to create a clock that syncs with the channel 1 timing, or just use the external midi clock output. Use one of those to drive the uStep which in turn would clock the Z8000 (or you can skip the uStep and just use the gate out directly, but with the uStep you have control over the pattern from the modular).

The power of the Z8000 is that it's not just 8 or 16 voltages in a linear sequence like a more traditional analog sequencers. Mult your clock outs to the reset and direction inputs to create interesting semi-random note sequences. Use the second half of the ustep to do the same. To really open the Z8000 to its fullest potential, you'll want logic modules or additional clock dividers/multipliers. Alternatively, you could trade the Z8000 for something like a Rene which you can easily set up to do more "normal" sequencing. It also has a built in quantizer and clock logic features so you don't need to immediately invest in other clock/logic sources.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

breaks posted:

Keep in mind that Rene also has fewer outputs so you're still at least in a nearby boat as far as the number of quantized cvs you're getting.

I would take a metropolis over either of them personally.

I'm not sure I understand your point here. The Metropolis still only has one pitch out. The Rene has a quantized and an unquantized out. You can lock the quantized values, use the location pots to change the cv value for the unquantized out, run the unquantized out to an external quantizer, and get two melody lines.

I made these demos when I first got the Rene. Anytime you hear two melody lines playing at the same time, it's from the Rene QCV and UqCV (into a Doepfer A-156) out. There are no overdubs.
https://soundcloud.com/oldstench/reneday

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

breaks posted:

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that the metropolis had more quantized outs, just that I personally prefer it. The Rene can do some cool tricks for sure though, I have one (but plan to sell it.) For melodies I think the Rene is better if you like devices that you can set up to kind of generate their own material, and Metropolis is better at being kind of sequencer clay that the user can push around.

I like the Rene for that reason, but you can also easily set it up to be a more traditional sequencer. That being said, the Metropolis is rad as hell, and I want to get one someday. I just need to stop buying other things...

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

No. The transformer on the power supply can get a bit warm, but not the modules. It looks like he's using a switching power supply, so he's got a brick or wall-wart out of the picture. Most of the heat would be generated there. If you have a linear psu mounted inside the case (like Doepfer and Monorocket do), they'll be attached to the back either using the case as a large heatsink, or with a heatsink attached.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Trying to dl my upgrade to Omnisphere 2 and of course the whole site it down...

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

How is that compared to Alchemy?

I'd consider it a desert island softsynth, especially after the upgrades that come with 2. It's a hybrid rompler/softsynth with some ridiculous modulation capabilities. You can mix two sample banks, or a single sample and a generated waveform, or two generated waveforms and mangle the poo poo out of them. The sounds are great, the effects are great, the filters are great. The new version allows you to add your own sounds, and they upped the generated waveshapes from 5 to like 500 wavetables. It's a good synth imho.

Here's the updates version intro video. It'll show you some of what it can do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbpqdaLO-WI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

That looks kind of amazing but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a single softsynth. That's the price of Komplete, ffs, or Komplete Ultimate when it's on sale.

Yeah. It's expensive. You get what you pay for IMHO.