Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

So Math posted:

I found a score online for a madrigal I used to sing in college and tried my hand adding expression via track automation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pWkvrin-ic

Nice. What synths did you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

snorch posted:

I'm DIYing a wind synth, and today I got to first MIDI :sax: which is a milestone. It doesn't play in tune and I'm fighting noise from the CPU, but whatever, in light of the current synth challenge, I humbly submit:

https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud/crunchy-sax

Nice. But I was really hoping it was going to be Songbird.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

EBB posted:

Small etiquette question since I'm new to this subforum. I never hope to profit off any of the sounds from my equipment, this really is just a hobby but sometimes I record neat things. Is it cool to post short loops and sequences? I was thinking about promotion chat and was wondering if I was being a chode without knowing.

:justpost:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Selling a Push 2 if anyone wants a great Ableton controller.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Philthy posted:

Playing around with "Movie Maker". I think this came with Windows.

Are there any better cheap/free video editors out there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGD1zTkc4fA

DaVinci Resolve.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Broke down and ordered a yellow TD-3. Any of you folks who own one tweak the VCF offset? Any trip reports?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I'm immune to TE's gear and hype. :smuggo:

[dumps retirement fund into new eurorack hotness]

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

excellent bird guy posted:

A long time ago I saw a gothed out Marilyn Manson backstage sign that said: No Smoking and No Talking About Sports. I wish I could find a picture of that again.

Anyway. I have a keyboard stand now and my plans worked out. The macbook fits perfectly on the DX7, doesn't interfere with anything. I am using it more for a midi controller and it does a fine job as far as I am concerned. I'm using Plogue Chipsounds. Might get some Valhalla effects later. Any recommendations? Just jamming really.

Grab a DT7 and get one knob per function for that DX7!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Behringer really knocked it out of the park with the TD-3.

I haven't touched any of my gear in almost a year and this thing got me making terrible electro for hours.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

toadee posted:

Honestly I think the only reason to get a TD-3 or any 303/clone is if you have a legitimate fetish for the exact sound. Otherwise there's other synths that do the same things only "better"/with more options.

This is correct. I'm an acid freak, so I had to have 'cause I'm sure as hell never shelling out the $$ for a real 303. That, and my x0xb0x never really did it for me. It's OK, but it never sounded right at all.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

lol

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

excellent bird guy posted:

i can play a handful of instruments piano guitar strings, chip tune mod trackers too, but god drat i can't figure out how to do synth electro type poo poo for a drat. All the wires, and buttons, i don't even know.

Try reading the 63-part Synth Secrets series on the Sound on Sound website. Lots of good info there.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

So what's the deal with this single synth contest? Particular genre or anything at all? Has it started yet?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Bored Brain make the best cables imo.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

How does everyone handle their start/stops and resets with euro? I can never get everything to line up on downbeats, especially slow LFOs. Pamela's seems to be the only real tool at the moment.

I usually use a master clock multed to all sequencers and a clock divided reset multed to all reset ins, if I'm doing standard 4/4 stuff. Sometimes I'll use a pp/brains t-gate in/t-clk out to reset everything on the next gate high. Some modules reset on the next clock rising edge after the reset trig while others consider the current clock high the downbeat. This can cause two sequencers to desync depending on what it considers the downbeat after a reset.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

My wife gave me $200 for some reason. I'm thinking I might grab an RD-6.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Who has a Microfreak? Tell me why it's cool or lovely.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

inferis posted:

Aren’t they the exact same circuits?

They sound close enough that in a mix you can't tell a difference. Only cork-sniffing weirdos care about that poo poo.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

an unfortunate pejorative choice given the history of the company being discussed
No idea what you're talking about here.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Google behringer anti-Semitic
OK. That's not how I meant what I said.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Apparently we can add Moog to the list of lovely companies.

god drat it

Of course the MW thread about it is already devolving into a misogynist sewer.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

petit choux posted:

LOL they changed their name. Good thing Gearslutz is still hanging in there.

yeah, about that..

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I'd rather not have two separate things in my house (a synth and an electric piano seems like a waste of space).

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Probably old news but I just saw that WMD is shutting down. Sucks.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Hail satan!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

Where do you guys buy patch cables?
I"m a huge stan for Boredbrain cables. I've literally never had one go bad.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

xzzy posted:

Sure my post was some dumb fiction but Uli is a garbage businessman that deserves no charity. I accept that nothing he does is illegal but it's all unethical.

If his company is trying to build up their public image there's almost certainly a slimy reason for doing it.

*kramers into thread*
There's no ethical consumption under capitalism Jerry!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Not everyone can be Egyptian Lover
https://youtu.be/YKK7ygEq_m0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

For any of you using VCV Rack, HetrickCV just released a large free library of very cool phasor-based generators, modulators and sequencers. Basically, instead of using clock edges to indicate time units, these use ramp waves to determine both position and timing.

quote:

This simple difference provides significantly more information to a sequencer. With only two samples of an incoming phasor, a sequencer is able to calculate the frequency/BPM of a sequence, along with the direction that the sequencer should be heading. With only one sample, the sequencer is able to look up the exact step that it should be on along with the exact phase of the step (i.e. how "far" through the step we are). What this means in practice is that you can have a number of sequencers all responding to a leader phasor in lockstep: all BPM changes, directional changes, and any other shifts occur instantly without artifacts since the sequencers do not need to calculate timing between pulses.

Very cool poo poo can be done by modulating the phasor being used to time sequences, among other things. I highly recommend checking out the library and read the docs to get an idea of what you can do with it.