Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
For the synth nerds who don't happen to follow the VST thread, Plogue chipspeech is finally out, and there are currently deals to be had. Details in my post over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

A Winner is Jew posted:

I have a brand new minibrute I'm trying to offload if you want the same sound. :v:
Hello MiniBrute friend. What would you be looking for that, perchance (shipped to 98102)?

Also, since I've (so far) acquired all my HW synths via goonsales and would like to keep that train a-rollin' if I can, does anyone have a lightly used, well-loved Volca Keys or Volca Bass (and/or Volca Sample!) they want to sell to me?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

utamaru posted:

Not easily in ableton as far as I know. I think I have used soundflower to make this happen in the past, but I can't recall.
Speaking of Soundflower, does anyone know of something similar for Windows?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Speaking of the man anyone want my moog sub 37 for 1200 bucks
Verrrrry tempting... do you have any photos?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah the main concern is just that it's Cakewalk and I don't have the best impression of their products (based on using Sonar for most of a decade). I'll probably go ahead and take the plunge anyway, just to see what's what.
Counterpoint: Z3TA+ 2 is pretty good. FWIW.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

wayfinder posted:

What do you like about it? I have it but I can't really get into it over the Massive/Sylenth combo that gives me flexibility and SUPERSAWS
Caveats: while I have Massive as part of Komplete Ultimate 7, I haven't really dug into it at all yet (true for most of the stuff in Komplete, actually, even an older one like 7), and I don't have Sylenth (so I don't know what I'm missing there).

I actually like the presets. I mean, not all of them, but there's a lot of fun stuff in there that helps me get going when I just want to jam and I'm not in Serious Music Composition Mode. There's also a lot of cheesy stuff in there I Would Never UseTM, but is similarly fun in a slightly more mocking way. I feel the presets as a whole do a pretty good job of what you can do with the synth (not all preset collections do).

I like how direct it is, or at least seems to me, compared to some other similar soft synths. And deep in the Geek Section, I like that it supports Scala tuning files, and I plan to mess with that a lot (so far I've only poked at it minimally to see how it works).

Also, to be clear, I'm relatively new to Z3TA+ 2; it was WAFFLEHOUND who turned me on to it and sold me on it.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've been really into serum lately. It has a great and intuitive interface and the sounds are a lot richer than massive imo. I've been using it for half of my sounds for the past few weeks.
Serum's been on my "watchlist" for a while, great to hear a report from someone using it regularly. What kind of machine are you running it on CPU/performance-wise? I still do almost all my work on a Lenovo T410 (with an i5 CPU), and I'm a bit concerned it'd be pretty chompy on that in practice.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Anyone craving an OP-1? :v:
Kinda. What are we talking about here?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

A small portable synthesizer. :buddy:
:rolleyes: I mean price-wise.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

stillvisions posted:

If you're being price-wise, you wouldn't be buying synthesizers :dance:
Maybe I'm confused. WAFFLEHOUND: are you selling an OP-1?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I'm really sad that Muffs is down.
It seems like it's down more than it's up lately, at least on the sporadic times I check...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Fors Yard posted:

Spelled, even!

Hope your Autechre gig is live and not just a DJ set. Though I hear live isn't really performing existing material and just improvisational. Either way I doubt they disappoint.

Richard Devine is playing Wednesday here too which I'm also excited for. The modular patches he posts on facebook are always amazing and hearing some of that live will be a great experience.
Hey Seattle buddy. You going to any workshops today or the rest of the week?

I should be at the Richard Devine show at night, and at the Autechre thing too. Plus some other showcases. Going to check out some workshops during the day(s) too.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Guys! Late breaking news from one of the synthesis workshops I went to today as part of the Decibel Festival dB Conference: Randy Jones (maker of Aalto and Kaivo, if you don't already know -- you should own these already!) is making a new virtual instrument! "Virta", as he describes it (in short) a "sound controlled synthesizer"; it should be out soon (like, a month to maybe mid-December for a wide range).

I also got to meet him and shake his hand and tell him I'd volunteer my time to work on Windows drivers for Soundplane. Turns out there's another guy with a Soundplane already doing that, who has also already produced a beta Linux driver too! So we'll see what happens on that front.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Well guys, it finally happened. It was inevitable I suppose. A question of when, not if. I bought a Voyager today. Pictures forthcoming. In the meantime, please tell me how stupid this was.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Radiapathy posted:

Which one?
A Jade Select Series with black ash cabinet. Bought used, it was previously owned by a friend of a friend for a single project. I think he bought it used as well. In pretty decent shape, just a few cosmetic nicks and dings on the wood, nothing serious. Will probably play with it for a while then ship it back to Moog for factory setup at some point in a few months. I cringe a little thinking of the shipping charges.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Dotcom, I really want one of your Zero Haliburton Eurorack cases. Those are awesome.

Speaking of Eurorack, a friend of mine and I are getting geared up to start making some of our own modules over the next few months. I know it's an open-ended question, but since this is a knowledgeable and friendly community of Eurorack users, does anyone have any suggestions on what kinds of modules they'd like to see exist in the world? There's so much stuff out there from so many different small manufacturers (and we'd be adding to the "noise", in some sense), it can be hard to keep track of what's already available, but we're not necessarily trying to only make modules no one else is making, just things we think are interesting and that others do too. If we come up with something unique or unusual (but useful) as part of that process, so much the better. I figure people here with more Eurorack experience have ideas though.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

net work error posted:

I was visiting Chicago and visited Nerd Audio. Cool shop with some nice people and now I kinda want an OP-1. A+ would recommend.
I just bought one (gently used) from a guy locally last night. He was getting rid of it in order to get cash towards an Octatrack.

I haven't fully dove in yet, but I will say that within less than five minutes of having it at home, I was doing interesting fun things with it that were very immediate, and I liked that tight feedback loop. The fact it's so small and "all in the box" is really nice for that sort of thing. We'll see if this honeymoon lasts.

I think I'm done buying (hardware) synths for a little while now...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Sizone posted:

On the Scala support microtonal kick, Sunrizer, Z3ta+ and Thumbjam
Is this also true of the Sunrizer VST/AU plugin? I assume so, since it mentions it has "full compatability" with the iPad version, but can't find any specific mention of Scala support...

If so, strongly considering picking that up at least as a plugin...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Had my first serious love-in with the OP-1 last night, pulling stuff off of FM radio into the tape is not nearly as gimmicky as I thought it would be, and is actually really interesting, especially when overdubbing onto a loop. Also the synths are cool, getting more of the hang of the flow of the thing now.

There's been love for the TNR-i on iOS, and I'm about to get it, but there's also this TNR-e thing, which is, as far as I can tell, basically the same app with different sounds "for dance music and dub step", and a black & red color scheme? For the same price? Anyone used it?

Also, anyone with iMASCHINE 2, does that work with MASCHINE 1.x, or just MASCHINE 2.x on the PC side?

Thanks!

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Have we already discussed the Boutique and Reface lines here? Because if so I missed it. Can someone sum them both up for me? In particular, A Winner is Jew, I'm curious why you left out the Reface CS in your praise.

Something must be wrong with me because when I see small, relatively low-cost, and good quality synth (etc.) modules (but not modular modules, yet) like the Boutiques and the Refaces, I get GASsy. I think I blame the volcas, which I feel started this recent trend (and which I'm still loving and having a lot of fun with).

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I am weak and bought all the Roland Boutiques yesterday. And the keyboard unit. At least I didn't also buy 3/4 or all of the Refaces (yet).

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

sliderule posted:

Changes I would make to the Odyssey's design:

Add pulse width control to LFO, mostly because it acts as a gate for the EGs.

Adjust LFO phase, or add an adjustment control. Phase resets on key trigger, and its current phase setting causes a delay in the gate, which makes arpeggiation tricky, and some things impossible.

Alternately, provide an option to OR the keyboard gate and the LFO.

It will be interesting to see how Behringer will execute this design, if that's still happening.

Also, it's not true that VCO2 does not do portamento when playing monophonically. In duophonic mode, however, only VCO1 gets the treatment.
I'm vaguely interested in getting one of the Korg ARP Odysseys after having seen and touched one in person earlier this week, but I don't really have a good reason other than nostalgia (for the sounds and the design) and the thought that I would learn a lot from its design (which might not even be true). Between this post and your previous post at the top of the page, where have you netted out on the Odyssey so far?

Also, what's the deal with the Behringer version/build? What I mean is: how is whatever deal structured with ARP, Korg, and Behringer such that they are also (likely? maybe?) gonna make an Odyssey as well? Clearly I haven't been paying close enough attention.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Goon thoughts on the iRig Pro Duo? I impulse bought it on clearance while out buying patch cables and haven't yet opened it. Debating whether to dive in or return it unopened. The two Amazon reviews I found were negative, but about stuff I already knew about and didn't care about (cable length, the fact that it doesn't last long on AA batteries) from a "semi professional guitarist" and another guy.

I've largely been intentionally ignoring iOS as a platform, but I have an iPad Mini and an iPhone (daily driver). The iPad is currently light duty basically as a Safari machine, so I figured maybe why not?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

net work error posted:

Has there been any news on a volca fm release date yet?
FWIW, my Sweetwater sales eng. said they expect a shipment sometime in May. I pre-ordered from them, so here's hoping I get it then.

Also (in soft-synth news), Virta is out:
http://madronalabs.com/products/virta

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Just got this notice from Sweetwater five minutes ago:

quote:

Your order [REDACTED] shipped 3/31/16 via First Class Mail.
Korg Volca FM Synth w/Seq (SN:VOLCA-FM000100000748)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Volca FM arrived today from Sweetwater. Haven't had time to play with it other than to load batteries and turn it on and hit the Play button to hear a beep. Others who pre-ordered from Sweetwater, I'd imagine you'd be getting yours soon if you pre-ordered a few weeks back...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Chainclaw posted:

Went to the Seattle Synthesizer Petting Zoo today and picked up a Mutable Instruments Peaks and a Intellijel Korgasmatron II. This leaves me with 8 HP on my current row.
The Peaks seems extremely flexible and powerful for its width. Of course in my current setup I want an envelope and LFO and snare. Luckily I can pick two.
The Korgamatron II is cool, but complicated and it will take some time to figure out.
I was there too, brought some of my Moog gear (some of it ex-WAFFLEHOUND's!). That was a fun time!

I walked away with an Odyssey, SQ-1, and an A-01.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

sofullofhate posted:

I'm planning to come to the next one, I'll bring my 18U setup. You know, for kids.

And I'll probably buy some poo poo too..
I had a lot of fun, but I don't think I'll exhibit at the next one, or I'll bring the same setup if I do; the Voyager (and my too-big speakers) was too much to lug around in a Car2Go. But I'm happy I did it.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Guys, I'm sorry I haven't been posting much in this thread as of late, but I've been having too much fun with my Odyssey. It's the bees knees. You understand.

Sincere thanks to the other synthgoons in the thread (sliderule, et al.) that posted Odyssey trip reports and feedback. Super happy with this purchase.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Who here has the Arturia V Collection? Two things are making me think about picking up the new V Collection 5: one, the Synclavier V, and two, the discount I get for the moment for buying the whole kit and kaboodle (rather than just the Synclavier V alone). But I wondered if anyone had any trip reports about it. It seems like V Collection 5, which just came out, follows closely on the heels of V Collection 4, so maybe I should expect to be paying upgrade prices inside of a year or two if I wanted to keep current? Or has Collection 4 been out for a while? Also, is Arturia's software licensing thing (ASC) relatively out of the way and non-onerous?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Tayter Swift posted:

I upgraded to 5, but haven't tried the Synclavier yet. Word is it's good, but extremely deep -- you're not going to learn it over a weekend.

You're right that the upgrade cycle was real short this time around -- 18 months since 4. I did get a discount but it's worth waiting until the collection is half off, which they do every so often.

Their license thing works fine for me.
I have a discount until June 30th that gets me the whole collection for $299. That's the price/package deal I'm considering...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Well, Elektron finally EOL'd Machinedrum and Monomachine. On sale (at the current prices) until June 21, but when I checked, they were out of stock on Monomachines.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Startyde posted:

:rip: had an order in at Sweetwater, hopefully it gets filled. Hopefully they got another digital synth box in them.

Softubes stuff is great but for that kind of money I'd just use kontakt. I dunno.
I knew their comment back in February when they dropped prices to clear inventory that "don't worry", they weren't discontinuing them wasn't to be trusted. I already have a Machinedrum (thanks to a fellow goon), but didn't have a Monomachine, though was looking for one, even moreso after the price cut.

I ordered earlier today from GC online, and supposedly they expect a shipment in on 7/7, but I guess we'll see!

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
So my Monomachine showed up today, guess I slipped in under the wire with that Guitar Center order the day Elektron announced they were discontinued. It and Machinedrum are keeping each other company. Need to set aside some time to dive in and understand it.

However, in less awesome news, a persistent issue with the power switch on my OP-1, well... persists. In my most recent email exchange with Teenage Engineering support, they pointed me to an iFixit page, which on one hand, good on them for suggesting/advocating a DIY solution, but on the other, I just want this thing fixed so I can use it. Seems like it should be their problem, not mine.

So until I can remedy that, it makes two synths (OP-1 and Shruthi) out of 17 total (in terms of hardware) in some state of disrepair/brokenness. Kind of a bummer, especially since all my synths are "modern" synths with less build/construction/electronic/electrical issues than vintage HW, but I guess I'm doing better than some people.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Bolange posted:

What happened to your Shruthi?
When I got it, I noticed one of the potentiometers would wildly jump between values when adjusted, seemingly depending on force applied to the knob, but not always. Initially I thought there might be some problem with the internals of the pot, but after cracking the Shruthi open and (a little later, after inspection of the solder joints, etc.), a full replacement with ALPS pots (per the Shruthi BOM online, but not what I think was used for the pots in the one I bought) for all the pots (not just the weird one), the symptom reappeared, though this time on a different pot. I think I know what it might be, but I haven't yet had time to poke around more and confirm/test another fix.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Now I have a Korg MS-20. Ho ho ho.

(That is all.)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

cubicle gangster posted:

And the award for the worst name ever given to a synth goes to...:

(Bonus points for having 'PHAT' printed on it too)
It's "DeepMind 12" (which is... bad... for other reasons); I think the "PHAT" label was just for the prototypes.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Synth thread, I've been away too long. It's not you, it's me. I have, however, at long last, come for a confession.

Within the last week, I've bought things.

I've... bought things you people wouldn't believe. :pcgaming:

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Prophet-6. (Today's haul alone included a Prophet-6.)

I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Oberheim Gate. (...and an OB-6.)

All those... dollars will be lost... in time... like... tears... in rain. :retrogames:

Time... to die. (I'm locking myself inside for December; I can't wait until Christmas break!)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Handen posted:

Has anyone seen a video of the TB-03 connected to and being controlled by a K-25m? I'm curious to know if and how the two interact, but all of the TB-03 videos I can find are just standalone demos. :(
I haven't seen a video, but I can try it out for you.

EDIT: Totally works.

(If you really want a video of me noodling around [or if you have certain things you want to see], let me know and I'll see if I can throw something hasty together, but it wouldn't be until the weekend at the earliest).

minidracula fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Well, after years of avoiding this particular temptation (but not, y'know, generally avoiding GAS), the MiniBrute 2/2S + RackBrute bundle deal got me to dip my toe into eurorack:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/892096

(Maths is on order and I should have it next week; everything else is either in the rack or waiting to be installed)