Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This would probably loop super well and make great game menu/area music.

Nice job!

Siivola posted:

I was thinking something exactly like that, and I think you nailed it. The new section (usually called a bridge, I think?) gives a nice bit of contrast to the rest of the song and keeps the song moving forward. I really like your phrasing, too.
Aw, thanks! I don't know what phrasing means but I'm flattered anyway :kimchi:

So Math posted:

:frogsiren:Bonerjams the Next One:frogsiren:

:sax: I'll consider this my submission then: :sax:
https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/department-jamz

I used my oldest purchase DCAM Synth Squad, with Amber on the strings, Strobe on the bass and Cypher on the keys, with my newest purchase EZdrummer on the, uh.. drums. In hindsight I realize this might be bending the rules a bit since DCAM is technically 3 synths, but I hope it's okay :ohdear: Since the combo of synth + drums is so generic I decided to do something in a style I've never done before and thought it would be funny to make some sort of synth bossa nova, though I guess it kinda ended up as being some cheesy game music after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
These challenges are basically the only time I finish a track so I'm happy everyone likes it! It was fun to dig out DCAM again too, I haven't used those synths in years and I sorta just default to Serum these days.

So Math posted:

:toot: First submission! :toot:

Do you want your comment there to be in the liner notes?
Nah, I don't think that's necessary. Might be nice to mention that it's DCAM + EZdrummer though, I know I'm interested in knowing what everyone else combined for their tracks too :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just do what I did and pick an ill-fitting genre no-one likes as a joke, but somehow it comes out okay and people like it :iiam:

So Math posted:

REMINDER: We have two weeks left for bonerjams, and I've got one entry so far. Don't forget to make a video!
are we still just encouraged to make videos or is it a requirement now? I'm lazy on a new computer and I don't have any sort of video editing software

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Okay here's me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gozKOS-_k5w

And the audio track:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/sail-or-anchor

Oldest bit of gear was some Arturia synths and the newest was my Seaboard Rise. Video clips were just some random nonsense from Segundo de Chomón shorts.
I've said it before but I really love this track!

so many great submissions, this is why I love bonerjamz :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
well done y'all we did it :sax:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Nox posted:

Hey, this video needs several million more views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcbpRMZIQ8g

I thought I had found it on SA, but can't find the thread it was in.

This is the first I've heard of it and it's very much my jam. Watching it now, thanks!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CRAYON posted:

i like cassettes and what you all are doing with Boner Jamz so i did a thing:

does this mean i'm now officially a musician

those own :swoon:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This synth is cool. The video is cool. Also it will make idiots on gearslutz and the sonicstate article comments section bitch about Moog being full of SJWs again.

fucken skeleton jazz wizards i tell you h'what

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
aw yeh i'm in

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

where does the boner part fit in? are these supposed to be sexy songs

the boner is vestigial

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
here y'all are posting historical and royalty free samples and everything

I already made a stupid rear end song/remix but didn't realize until now that it doesn't belong in this because it samples a commercial song :negative: at least I got some practice working with samples, but I feel like an idiot

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What sample? Maybe do it anyway?
naw I've decided to salvage this by repurposing it with samples from something else, probably this

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Somebody recorded a reading of the "Simple Sabotage Field Manual" from WWII, intended to train anti-fascist resistance fighters.

https://archive.org/details/simple_sabotage_0908_librivox
because it sounds like it could be fun :pram:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
did someone say boner jamz

https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/dirty-factory

lyrics in case you want to sing along

quote:

"A clean factory is not susceptible to fire, but a dirty one is"

(Chorus)
Hard pistons, shafts and bearings
using a very rapid stroke get it
hard, squeeze it tightly,
Dirty Factory

Workers pounding
hard, squeeze the shaft
tight as you can make it
using a very rapid stroke get it
hard, squeeze it tightly,
Dirty Factory

Dirty workers
One...
Two...
Three...
Repeat the treatment a few times
One...
Two...
Three...
The sponge will gradually expand (breakdown)

"Power-driven tools like pneumatic drills, riveters, and so on are never efficient when dirty.
Lubrication points and electric contacts can easily be fouled by normal accumulations of dirt or the insertion of foreign matter."

(Chorus)

Dirty workers one
Dirty Factory

(i am very sleep deprived and this turned into something very different from what i usually make, and also incredibly dumb. i swear i'll try making a proper song too)

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 27, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If I end up with any free time, I might throw some sort of musical idea I'm working on into this jam of the boner. Also, with regards to the sampling challenge, I can't remember if it was me who mentioned it (I think it was?) but I was PMing back and forth with So Math, and told them my general idea for it, which is below:

So, maybe after this latest boner jam, we could try this out? Could be fun!
yeah, something like that would be super fun! Organizing it might be a pain though, if everyone has to upload stuff?

also was my submission that bad that we're just ignoring it? :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah I liked it too -- good 80s/90s industrial vibe, and great use of the samples.
can't say that was intentional but if it's true then that's quite appropriate :pram:

thanks y'all

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Militant Lesbian posted:

if you can’t write your own chord progressions, are you really a musician tho?

like fr fr? :iiam:

bold of you to call out this entire subforum in a single sentence

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember I did one of these years ago where I round up a bunch of tracks that I've started but never finished, and with the year coming to a close I figured I'd do it again with tracks from the last year or so :sax:

https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/unfinished-junk

I've had this hobby for years at this point but I'm still perpetually creating and then getting stuck at 4/8 bar loops. None of these tracks are clips or excerpts of longer, more finished songs, they're all just loops that I created and could never expand on because I am completely devoid of artistic talent I never learned how to. :v: Anyone else got a mountain of unfinished junk?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Might I offer a bit of a challenge to the thread? Have you ever heard Wendy Carlos' music, like this: https://youtu.be/GwYWp_bOWZg

Well nobody does anything like that. So my friendly challenge to you is by January 20th to get a bit of the ol' ultraviolence out of your system and do synthesizer covers of orchestral songs. I'd be really interested to see what you can do with it! I will post something later.

probably not what was intended but I wanted to learn how to use Famitracker so I combined the two and did Bach's Harpsichord Concerto No.1 NES style :pram: (VRC6 chip so I guess technically Famicom style)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_8V3MluMKk

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I thought y'all were misspelling the WaveStation but this is a new synth :eyepop:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the coolest beep to boop is the friends we made along the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
this wonderful lil' synth thread is one of my favorite places on the forums and i'd hate to see it disappear - are y'all migrating somewhere else and if so where? :shobon: