Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

VoodooXT posted:

After reading through the JD-990 operator's manual, it seems fairly straight forward.

It really is. Most of the time you use the third configuration with two oscillators mixed into the one filter. That way you get the drive control as well.

Good thing is that every Roland synthesiser from the D50 to the GAIA is some variation of that set up. They hide it on all kinds of ways but you soon notice it's the same 4 oscillators in two pairs.

You must get the Vintage Synth voice card for the JD990. It matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

treasureplane posted:

Re: the Ion/Micron: I own an Akai Miniak, which is basically the Micron Mk. 2 (same sound engine, slightly nicer package), and I've never been able to get too inspired by it.

Takes awhile but there are some tactics that work really well with it - for example the LFOs can fast enough for audio and if you feed one into a strongly resonant filter OB sweep at just the right setting the whole thing starts to fall apart gloriously. I owned an Xpander for a while, and people that worked on that came over to the Ion team. Some of the tricks that work with the Xpander (which can also be a very dull machine) work here as well. The oscillators are OK but the filters is where all the good things happen.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

But I stayed up til like 5AM last night watching Mininova videos on YouTube and was literally giddy while watching them, so that's probably a good sign :v:

Mininova is a very solid machine. It has a broad range of things that it can do from Roland style pads to weirdness where you use a wavetable as an LFO modulated by another LFO fed into another wavetable. I don't find it distinctive, as in it doesn't have a singular purpose in life - it's the one that makes itself useful.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

sliderule posted:

I just wish the DX7 let you modulate the operator ratio.

DX200 in your future.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Number Two Stunna posted:

To people who use synths with daws- what kind of midi/recording setup do you guys have to be able to use them together?

Be dead sure that the MIDI interface can handle multiple access, that is, two or more programs can talk to the gear. That way you can have a sequencer and an editor running at once and it makes things really easy.

Go for multiple MIDI ports up front. Costs more, but ends up saving on misery. When you try use multiple USB-MIDI cables it quickly gets messy as they swap around etc. I'm running multiple MOTU racks. You can try splitters as well.

Although a multi track audio card is nice, it's going to be expensive to get one with enough in ports to have everything in at once and so you may as well get a patch bay, or just get a nice big mixing desk with USB out.

And expect to play for a lot of cabling.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Roland JD-990 with Vintage Synth expansion card – $549

I'd do that one, but I bet you're up on the northern end of the planet. (Sorry no PM).

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

The Cleaner posted:

I'm confused as to what people mean when they say they can't seem to "integrate" hardware into their setup?

The cables do tend to be a rats nest given time. I'm at 32 physical MIDI cables and about the same number of audio channels and seem to spend more time on DYMO labelling and bundling than music making.

The way that works for me is to do the basic composing using VSTs and then come back and replace tracks with physical sources if it helps the sound. That seems to make the music easier and keep the gear playful.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

I've found it easier to program the MKS-80 from the front panel.

You are Vladimir Putin.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I keep trying to convince myself into / out of buying Komplete 9 Ultimate :smith:

I just bought it. You must buy it. Everybody must do the same thing. Now. Time is running out to do the same thing as me.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

ynohtna posted:

You don't need it. You've managed so far without it. You won't use most of it.

See how well software is able to emulate hardware these days?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Startyde posted:

Are video samplers still 1k used? I remember oogling a korg something or other when it came out.

They're never cheap, but as they're basically computers it's fair to use a laptop for the visuals. VDMX is the poo poo.

That KORG is the Entrancer and if you try pick up one on eBay I will have to fight you for it.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Some of you may remember last year there was a special event in a forest in Scotland, where a radio station was set up on a mountain to broadcast FM music to no one (apart from goats). Well it turns out that quite a few people camped in the forest to listen to this one-off music broadcast, and they are going to do it again. They are also going have a library out there. I don't know why.

If you need a little push to get something finished or a deadline would be good for starting a new recording then here is something to get you going.

Here's the contact again.

http://thedarkoutside.tumblr.com/

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

toadee posted:

One way is to just take a song you like and try to recreate it.

This is truth. You never get there and make your own song instead.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

The TB3 is TerriBle!
It looks neat but sounds like crud. I've only played with it for an hour or so but I don't think it even meets the fun toy criteria.

This sounds exactly like me in 1980something when I bought a TB303. "This is the worst poo poo to ever be spawned from Satan' arse", and it was $400 in 1980s money. Thing is, I did not think to gently caress with it. I respected this "Bass Synthesiser". If only I knew to hate it properly - and I think that's what to do with all the AIRA stuff. Hate it properly.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Oh I also guess I owe a post about upgrading the storage in my EMU E4XT Ultra.

Thanks for that. Having endless trouble getting external SCSI working on a Roland, so I'll study your experience.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Sizone posted:

2: Resonant filter. Let's assume for a second that you're me and that you have, for whatever stupid reason, fixated on the ensoniq MR hardware class. The only two instances of it that have a resonant filter are the Fizmo and the Asr-x. Though, now that I finally can actually patch it, I'm disappointed that the asr-x doesn't, at least not yet, sound as plasticky and strange as the fizmo filter.

Got an MR Rack and the EXP-3 and was happy that I spent $200 where a FIZMO rack is $2000. Then you tell me that the filter is strange and I hate you.

Mind you, $1800 for a goddamn filter.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Korg's Dorks

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

Novation SL mk2?

Was fine until some keys just stopped working one day. Never moved or even shaken in its life.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

a_big_dog posted:

Go on, then; what would be a good, cheap gateway synth?

Novation MiniNova.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

all three noise waveforms have a very computer-ish sound, more like the weird noises a 56k dial-up modem does, rather how a proper white noise sounds. Is it how it's supposed to be, or is there a knob to fix it?

Glorious, isn't it?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

apparently some sadists like the Korg MS2000.

Hi there.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

net work error posted:

e: Is it me or were they hinting at a Jupiter(?)or System 100 VST/Plug-Out at the end?

Definitely hinting.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Sjoewe posted:

I have heard through the grapevine that there'll be a Jup-6 plug-out somewhere along the line.
Would be an insta-buy for me if true.

Jupiter 4 maybe. That's shown in the extremely subtle HINT. I don't think the System 1 can do more then 4 notes.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

about to get an influx of cash and I'm on the fence between the Ultranova and the Roland System-1. Any pro/cons or alternate suggestions in that price range for a beginner?

System-1 is pretty much a monosynth which attempts to sound like old analogues and has knobs. Ultranova is a poly that can sound like a lot of different instruments, but is mostly menu driven. You'd have quite different reasons for wanting them and they don't overlap. I would pick the Ultranova as a first synthesiser just because it can be so many different sounds.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

wayfinder posted:

God I hate the 303 and every little detail around it, its cult and its followers.

Bought one when it came out, gave it to a friend. No regrets.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Schindler's Fist posted:

FM4 synth is out for IPad,

I don't know why emulations never have the obvious upgrade of pitch control of all the individual operators, which was part of Chowning's original patent. That was left out of the DX7 because of cost and could easily be brought back. The DX200 can do it, but only by detuning the rows in an algorithm. One iPad app that does it is 'Stria' - which makes those nice Stockhausen metallic explosion noises. Same guy as the iVCS3.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Alternatively, spend a day on Gearslutz. Never been on the site much before, but my god, nothing will make me want gear less than reading through people's $10,000+ pissing matches.

Mostly true, but then when they really hate something I know I want it.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

... and that there deserves a hardware version.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

stillvisions posted:

I've sorta come to the conclusion that cheaper gear/more funds can be detrimental to making music if you're not careful, because it's more likely to lead to the cycle of deciding whatever you have isn't enough, buying another piece of gear, barely scratching the surface with the easy stuff it does, then deciding another piece of gear is the thing that will make it all work, repeat.

Yeah but the price isn't the real decider here. Something like a Juno 60 has about three interesting noises and costs way too much for what you get out of it. Where some cheap thing like a Morpheus is an endless voyage of 'what the hell were E-Mu thinking'. Barely scratching the surface of something is the main sin, it's usually after you're tired and disappointed in something that extra effort finds that really nice technique.

Totally agree with Flipperwaldt that the rule is A PET IS FOR LIFE.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Tagging on to this Behringer Odyssey clone discussion (which I have no idea how to feel about), what's everybody's perspective on a recreation like this: would you rather have a highly accurate recreation of the Odyssey at a premium, or a reasonable but not totally faithful recreation for a more attractive price? What's an acceptable trade off?

Who the hell cares if it sounds exactly like some old keyboard? Is it fun? Does it sounds great? Seriously the whole point of synthesisers is to make music. If all you're going to do is make YouTube videos that compare old fart to new fart then you deserve to pay as much as anyone can screw out of you. Everybody else gets to enjoy life.

I actually would prefer that it not be a replica of something old because then they could come up with a better keyboard.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Lordy that KORG desktop thing is going to COST if their minikeys Arp is $1000+

But then again the older kit price will crash.

Wonder how much better an Arp would really be than a Bass station 2 anyway.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

I guess I should try to build a base patch or see if the "init" patches are stripped down enough to start from.

Yeah, make a base patch with 1 saw oscillator, to one low pass filter, no effects. There's already enough in the oscillator section (particularly the self synch and wavetables) to make lots of good noise. When you've really gone through everything you're allowed to have two. Rare that you would ever need all three.

It's a wonderful machine, it's a bit like a child of the Blofeld and a AN1x. Use the VST, it helps see where it all links up.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

W424 posted:

I just wake up but are folks really suggesting that having a long release will make a reverb unnecessary? loving lol.

They are, and I think somebody in there complimented Aphex Twin for being talented. It's synthy clusterfuck.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Yeah, it looks like the one that I linked in that last post is designed specifically for the DX7 1 and 2, so that should (hopefully!) cover what I need.

I use the SY77 version. Slightly odd interface, but works.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Mid_Ben posted:

I bought my first synth, it's a minibrute.

What do I do now?

Complain about it.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Sizone posted:

Voting that we no longer describe oscillators in terms of their analogness, but rather in terms of their crescent freshness.

Flatulence. As in, "Don't you know that VCO's are far more flatulent!?" (raises eyebrow)

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

waneb posted:

I'm trying to decide between the rackmount ESQ-m and the ESQ-1. Can anyone steer me one way or the other? They are both for sale locally and are the same price. It would be nice to save some space if the rack version isn't significantly more annoying to program.

Rackmount. Keyboard is as heavy as gently caress.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Mr. Sharps posted:

a system that would look great just sitting in your studio doing nothing (like 90% of all modular hohohohohoho)

In the 60's they used to have things called "feature walls". Same function.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Sizone posted:

I need to figure out why I do this kind of poo poo to myself and figure out some way to stop doing this to myself. Mastery of old hardware for its own sake, for the sake of fanciness, used to be a lot more fun. The shitness of the ASR-X has ruined it for me though. I no longer get pleasure in doing arcane studies and rituals in order to wrangle synths.

For people of my old man's age, it was steam trains and model railroads. They would buy track and switches and order the locomotives and carriages from Germany (just like modules) and best of all have a real model steam engine that you had to fill the boiler with water and put a fire under it and all that. The came the guys that collect PDP12's and spend ages getting them and old mainframes in general to do their thing. Now there's people fixing up old 70's synthesisers... and 80's games... and 90's websites...

And I say God bless the whole lot of them for maintaining all this old crap because it keeps a variety of experiences and ideas alive you don't get from the State of The Art. Yes, it's a pain to figure out all this old crap, but no matter how trivial it seems now, it preserves something. I'm thinking how vinyl is now a growing thing, and yet there's only two people left in the world that know how to make acetate blanks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

if all the gaia's waves were being read from a table, i wouldnt think that osc sync should disable the filter. that delightful bug seems to indicate some form of realtime processing to make the waves since the cpu cant handle simutlaneous sync + filter

Same thing happens with the SH-32. That's definitely samples, and another example of Roland saving 5 bux.