Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I have a video synth question: Why do all the modules I see say that you should leave the signal as composite? How bad does it look if you try to use a cheap composite to HDMI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

Has anyone gotten into the Eurorack format video synth here?

I'm still trying to figure out the kit I want. It seems like the Visual Cortex is a good place to start, what else would I need besides that to be able to start tinkering?

I think that, plus a video source with component out (I have this for Playstation 2 to test it to start), plus a video output target (composite -> HDMI converter for now) may be enough to start tinkering. Am I missing anything?

https://github.com/lzxindustries/documentation/raw/master/Visual%20Cortex/Visual%20Cortex%20Basic%20Patches.pdf
Seems to make me think that's enough to start.

I've been looking at tinkering with video synthesis for a while and heard that the composite to HDMI converters don't really work for synthesis signals or at least that they produce wildly different results than you'd get on a CRT. YMMV, I say go for it and report back.

I just ordered an MPC One. Can I hang out here even though I'm not analog?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

McCoy Pauley posted:

Where did you find one in stock?

AVShop.ca
I called them to double check they actually had it. I hope the guy on the phone didn't lie :ohdear:

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

only if you hate having money

My buddy has a eurorack setup he calls his boat. If you know anything about boats that should say enough.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Went over to a buddies today and got to plug a sequence I've been working on in the MPC into his eurorack. Now I'm back home faffing about in controller mode into VCV Rack. What are some cool and good VCV modules?
Edit: Better question: what are some good resources on how synthesis actually works? I'm mucking about with the default patch, but I'm not sure I get what everything is doing.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 8, 2020

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

How do I limit and amplify 0-10V CV signal from an LFO say to 5-7V? I'm in VCV and passing to a visuals software that doesn't have it's own min-max settings for MIDI input. I tried a VCA, but that only reduces the amplitude.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Everyone likes to dance to a happy song
With a catchy chorus and beat so they can sing along
Timbaland knows the way to reach the top of the charts
Maybe if I work with him, I can perfect the art

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Can anybody tell me how I could get started trying to emulate the synth voices heard in the intro for MSTRKFRT"s Easy Love? https://www.hooktheory.com/theorytab/view/mstrkrft/easy-love?node=164.5 has the chords, but I don't really understand enough to deconstruct the sound other than there's some sort of pulsing envelope and it's poly because chords.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Are trackers within the scope of this thread? I just got custom firmware going on my 3DS so I'm messing around with LSDJ and Fatass Tracker.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

xzzy posted:

Yes, post about all the trackers. The superior sequencing solution.

LSDJ is probably the best of them all (that I've used) in terms of interface, laying out notes is so dang smooth. Never heard of fatass though, give us the deets.

Fatass is a port of Fast Tracker II to GBC by Jeremy Evers. (https://archive.org/details/demo_fatass_tracker) I don't know enough about trackers to know how it differs from LSDJ.

To get the custom firmware going I used https://3ds.hacks.guide/

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I tried Renoise but it felt weird IDK. I think I'll give ReViSiT a go when I feel like making music on computer again. Track is dank Pollyanna.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What's the difference between a blank cell and OFF in trackers? I'm guessing it depends on the instrument type, certain sounds are continuous and require a note off or a kill and others aren't.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

How do people build up tracker tracks? Like right now I have one chain with two patterns that I've repeated ABAB for two bars. I don't really have anything in my head that wants to come out. Should I fill in percussion next, keep mutating bass patterns to fill out the chain, figure out a melody or a fourth thing I can't even think of?
https://soundcloud.com/tvvo/3-audio...=social_sharing

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 4, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Well la-tee-da look at you all, having more than 4 sound channels. I'm trying to work with the highly limited LSDJ for a little while still.
I figured out that my emulator gives me mute control over the 4 sound channels so I can potentially do some neat track mutes or multi track out without having to change my song screen structure.
Does Renoise take gamepad input? I'm getting real used to punching in notes with A button and D-pad.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

xzzy posted:

This is the part where I tell you about the Dirtywave M8. If you like LSDJ you'll love the M8.

(and yes the four track limit on LSDJ is part of the charm, can use the same approach just gotta get the most out of what's there)

I like money and not waiting on line even more tho.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

net work error posted:

Going to shamelessly plug the IRC some friends run focused on music production and DJing.
irc.emp.cx #electronic

Anyone know how to port an IRC into Discord? :v: All the tutorials and software I'm seeing goes the other way for some reason.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Still haven't bit the trigger on a Teensy.
Added Retroplug to the toolchain so now instead of recording out of an emulator on my 3DS into Ableton I can record out of an emulator on my PC but still compose on my 3DS. If anyone else wants to dive with me into LSDJ madness Defense Mechanism has a good YouTube and website. He posts his LSDJ project files and some kits. I'm working on a little breakcore thing with his Amen kit.

Edit: https://soundcloud.com/tvvo/breakco...=social_sharing Needs kicks still, but this is where I'm at.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 8, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Thanks, I'll think about that. The Gameboy emulation on 3DS is kinda hinky. I'm more apt to buy a flash cart and sound modded Gameboy.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Yeah what are you heating? A palace?! Here in south central BC when we had wood heat 2 or 3 chords a winter was normal.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm kicking myself because I bought a Renoise license and that's about it for my music budget this month. I want a friggin teensy to M8.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Heck I've seen whole albums made just on a M8 or two. That box is insane. Can't wait til pay day to order my Teensy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2LzUNaYzWY

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Finally got my SD card for my Teensy; M8 Headless install was a breeze. Maybe by a equinox miracle I'll submit a Holmestrack.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

One of my DJ friends was giving me poo poo for learning trackers over a "real" DAW, but I'm digging learning from a more archaic age. It feels like learning calculus by first principles.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

watho posted:

i’m not saying johan sebastian bach was a junglist. that would be ridiculous. i’m just saying that if the amen break would’ve been invented when he was alive

:five:

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

They're gonna ask OP-1 money.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Yeah you can run headless on basically anything with a USB port and a web browser. Chromebook, Android tablet (iOS doesn't support serial over USB).

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

petit choux posted:

Question for the thread because you guys probably know the answer. I kinda quit paying attention to music hardware and stuff for a few years, it was right when there was a dedicated VST machine advertising on KVR. I guess that never really took off?

the iPad :v:

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Startyde posted:

What is that button layout :C

They borrowed from the venerable tradition of TV remote control UX.

Edit: from someone in the M8 Discord:

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 13, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm back with another "trying to make that sound" post. Never really got to where I wanted last time but that's on me being stuck on Orca rather than a more developed sequencer at the time.
I really want to recreate the lead synth line from Cake Pop's Black Rum using the M8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edp0LIUcq28

My naïve understanding of the M8 tells me to use the new Hypersynth because it's chords. There's also some kind of pitch bend or vibrato added in the reference track, so I'll have to muck with tables. I tried plugging in the first chord (I pulled off Chordify.com) and it sounds nothing like I want. I programmed in an F minor using transposes in the Hypersynth but I don't really know how to massage the instrument settings to get that really brash, harsh sound. It's all sounding too melodic.

Text documentation for the Hypersynth is a little thin on the ground and I haven't had a ton of time/attention to ingest YouTube videos for the past couple days. I kinda hate that so much of the M8 knowledge-base is tied up in their Discord and in long meetup videos. I get that it's a one man shop and he's super responsive on Discord fwiw, but man I just want a good text manual that stays updated. There's a community Google Doc, but there's a bit of lag on getting it updated to 3.0.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 13, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

HELLO LADIES posted:

Has anyone made a MIDI controller that's got a patch bay that you can use to reconfigure the settings of the knobs/buttons/sliders in terms of what signals they're sending? Like sure, you could do it in your actual DAW or whatever, but that's ~menu-diving~!

I'm not sure if there actually would be a market for that, but I feel like if there was it would make bank just from the sheer beautiful absurdity of the thing.

I've just been messing with something similar to what you speak of. The Akai MPD 226 lets you reprogram the knobs, sliders and buttons below them to whatever CC fairly easily. Unfortunately for my purposes the pads are locked to Note, Program Change or Program Bank messages only. I also haven't managed to get its clock to talk to any DAW but I don't know jack about MIDI clock.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Where can I get a cheap box and rails in British Columbia? I finally have enough of a income stream to consider building a rack.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

petit choux posted:

Can you cut wood and drive screws? Do you have access to small lumber like 2x4 size?

Got a skillsaw and a drill gun, yeah. Not sure about access to lumber.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Looks like a closed source VCV Rack.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I think I might lease to own Serum. I'm on Splice's 3 day trial. Seems like the main tool people making the kind of music I like and want to make use. Heaps easy to do a supersaw. Now I just gotta find someone who doesn't breeze past every setting or I have to pause and meticulously copy and wonder why my poo poo sounds nothing close to theirs.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Gonna ask here because I've been trying to work up a NMD OP and failing for a couple days.

Is noise music that makes you want to dance a genre or a movement? Like there are certain commonalities in the sonic palettes of hyperpop, breakcore and audio maximalism to my ear.
The article A Sex Close to Noise by Leah Tigers draws an interesting through line of trans women noise musicians, but it only makes me more curious in the history of the noise scene as a whole.

TL;DR: been listening to a lot of Lauren Bousfield, why does her music go so hard?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

LZX finally restocked a bunch of stuff. Anyone have an LZX setup? I’m real tempted to splurge, but at this point I’ve got a pile of video synthesis gear I don’t think will play nice with it.

Do it. And post more about your video synth setup.
There's a module from I think Syntonie that will process composite video into LZX compatible RGB. I'm not in front of my computer right now but just look at modulargrid under Video.
Edit: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/syntonie-vu003b ah, it only encodes from component, my bad.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 8, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

https://moogaudio.com/products/befaco-7u-case-diy
I think I found my box. 70 mm depth in some parts.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I love the idea of a DIY kit case, but that’s way too expensive for DIY (I realize it’s CAD). A Mantis is ~$350 USD. The Intellijel 7u case it is competing with is $700 USD.
I don’t see what’s so special about this Befaco one to justify its price.

I know the site linked is Canadian, but even the USD prices I’ve seen for the Befaco case - both assembled and DIY - seem out of whack with everything else available.

It's really not that far off in price from the comparable Intellijel. I think you're getting lost in the currency conversion sauce.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAch1Q0Iodc
Is there way to do this in modular? Multiple voices across the same sample. I'm looking at the ER-301 but that seems a little overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What's the approximate signal attenuation of a stacked patch cable? I'm imagining you gotta have like a foot of the things before you'd really fractionalize.