Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

watho posted:

and also the kastl is a bit more experimentally oriented than the volca modular. there’s definitely overlap in the use cases but if you generally wanna stay in the 12 tone equal temperament scale i personally would go with the volca

You can send cv and gate to the kastle, but it really does not track with 1V/oct.

But, it can be paired with a pocket operator for drums, some cheap amazon pedals + a nts-1 for effects to make strange sounds like this https://vocaroo.com/1y1pqsD9FSNX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol yeah it's a bit like the Pocket Operator manuals that way.

I've been mostly going by YouTube videos.

Lol I was testing it with the POs yesterday, and was thinking that the arpeggiator seemed a little fast. Then I noticed in the manual some cryptic note that suggests the sync clock defaults to one tick every two beats? So I think it's running in double time lol.

Here's something that took me a long time to discover. Hold down the osc button and turn the type knob for the list of adjustable parameters for whichever osc you have selected. Some of them have a large array to fiddle with.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

field balm posted:

I've heard tell of syncing them with a volca by playing a drum click track into the sync input but have not tried myself
The episode of bad gear on the ds10 gives a tutorial on syncing.https://youtu.be/JWky3HKpRls
I've yet to try it myself, but hope it works.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oh holy poo poo yeah the wave table oscillator has ... a lot of waves.

But yeah, I think the USB on mine is faulty. From what I can tell reading around, it should just show up as a class-compliant USB MIDI device. But trying it on both Win10 and Linux, on two different computers, with about five different cables, it doesn't even show up as a USB device, let alone MIDI. The thing powers up just fine with the USB cable, and otherwise seem to work properly. It just doesn't do actual USB. Also, I can't update the firmware or add user effects/oscillators.

Gonna have to exchange it I think.

Make sure you visit korg's website, and install their drivers. When you're doing anything to the nts1 via USB, like using the librarian, or updating firmware, it helps to be plugged directly into the USB port, no hub, and any other midi stuff disconnected.
I had all kinds of issues getting it to talk to the computer before I did that.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah this is both with and without the Korg driver, on two separate computers, one with nothing else plugged in at all, and now also tested through my phone, which also could not detect it. It doesn't show up as a device when I run the Korg uninstall utility. It doesn't even show up on lsusb in Linux.

I'm pretty sure that it's an issue with one of the data pins on the USB port, or else with whatever chip they're using for USB.
Sounds like you've done some pretty thorough troubleshooting. That's a warranty job right there.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

echinopsis posted:

that's ok

guess I'll have to make some myuself to explain what I mnea

lol

They don't really synthesize much of their sounds, but these guys create and manipulate many of their sounds live on stage https://youtu.be/SbblsPz8toY

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

get a monkey, a monkey sized synthesizer and a bottle of rum. train the monkey to copy the keys you play. give monkey additional rum to increase the length of the delay

I volunteer to be the monkey. I come with my own synth, love rum, and need direction.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

This is me on Saturdays RN:

Oh hold on. There's a dude on the forums who goes nuts for sweet old keyboards like those. Give petit choux a pm. Should be able to unload those right quick.

Ed. Vvvv I could see myself easily being in the same situation, in a few years' time.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 8, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Did you know that it is possible to haggle with Amazon? The other day I was looking through warehouse deals and I left a piece of lab equipment in my digital "shopping cart" for a couple days. When I checked back this piece of lab ware (which had stayed at the same price for months) suddenly had $15 knocked off the price. I thought "heck may as well check out now before someone else grabs this" and bought it.

Well a few days ago I was checking out the synth section of amazon warehouse deals and I saw a Pocket Operator PO-20 (used) and decided to test out my theory. I placed the PO-20 in my shopping cart but didn't check out. Right on schedule the next day the price for the PO-20 decreased by an additional $10. Either amazon has some AI that has figured out my buying patterns or there is a warehouse manager giving out discounts to people on the fence buying used things! In either case I now have a PO-20 to make video game noises (it didn't come with a box and there was already a song on it when I powered it up :v:)

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the strategy. Time to bleep some bloops.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've been playing around with a volca modular, just having fun figuring out how all the controls work. I was experimenting with different patches and tonight I stumbled upon a sound that jumped out at me from a tune I've been listening to quite often lately. Just super pleased with a minor surprise victory!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I tell yah, starting out making sounds/music today, it's mindblowing what's possible with only free software on even a windows machine.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

snorch posted:

I've already peaked on that journey, the Yamaha WX5+VL combo is wind synth nirvana :getin:

What software have you been using?
The online web synths at synth.playtronica.com
Cakewalk as a daw
Caustic
Vcv rack
And beepbox.co
Messed around with whatever I could find suggested by searching youtube for free vst instruments
The options have been numerous, and somewhat overwhelmed me by illuminating much of the breadth and depth of what I have yet to learn.
:wtc: sorry for the purple prose garbage.
Lots of fun and experimentation to be had for a rookie.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Anybody here have an AE modular rig? They sure do look enticing.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Not sure about maths, but you can play around with rampage for free in vcv rack, if you feel like giving it a spin.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

My new vintage radio shack tape recorder arrived.Here's a test I did with it
Little hungover fooling around. Happy enough that I can record my nonsense to play back in my old car.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rifter17 posted:

From a little back, but I have a system and I really like it. It scratches my modular itch. The biggest problem I have found is that it's a bit noisy. But it's very affordable, fun, and I think the community around it is very open and welcoming.

I found myself wantimg to be able to use the function generators on my volca modular as mod sources for other things, which lead me to discovering their volca modular interface module, and that started a spiral of dreaming about big racks of modules with tiny wires. What you're saying doesn't discourage that at all!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Well, if you end up with too many synths, I have what used to be a NR CX-4, but is now totally useless, which I'd be happy to trade for any synth, provided there was a way to do that.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

haha. It's a 9mm.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Today I discovered burst generator modules. Got them set to fire quick envelopes every time ions changes tracks, so I can get randomly occurring, occasional machine gun notes to spice up the sequence.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Not to discount any of the excellent replies above, but because I don't know any better, I've been having a blast with a volca FM I picked up used. https://youtu.be/lFfdOq9rvLc
It simplifies the controls to an AD control for the carrier and one for the modulator. It still has 6 operators, and a pile of algorithms, but a single knob can change multiple envelope parameters at once. There's a single lfo as well.
3or4 note polyphony. Can't remember ATM. And you can reportedly load dx7 sysex files right into the thing, and use dexed as a librarian for any patches you find/create. A midi keyboard is a near must though.

And if you're more like me, and not at all a musician, but someone more curious about making sounds and experimenting, check out vcv rack. Lots of free modules, and the ever present question of "what happens if I modulate this at audio rates?"

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 1, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

dexefiend posted:

I have been busy soldering.

Now to calibrate my Zlob modules... This isn't as easy as tuning the KickAll.

Edit:
Last night, I figured out why reverse power protection is so important. "Hey, why aren't the LEDs on the Triple Cap Chaos working correctly?"

I also have decided that I love soldering.
Dang I love the look of that rack. What do you have for sound sources in there?
I recognize the kickall, but I'm having a tough time making out the upper left area, and am not familiar with many modules.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I don't have anything to add, apart from some appreciation for the discussion taking place. Thanks for sharing, everyone. It's fascinating reading, and I'm learning quite a bit from y'all.

Eta

Pollyanna posted:

Intro synth question snipped
This part I might have some thoughts to share, if not a recommendation. I can speak a bit about my rookie rig, but might need a bit to compose my thoughts.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 8, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

Been really enjoying this NTS-1 a lot over the past couple days since I assembled it, boy is it a hoot. I've tried using the librarian but it wasn't working, but it was with an old Windows 7 computer that has problems with its USB connectors anyway, so I'm holding out hope that when I actually connect it to a Windows 10 machine it will properly work. As much as I've enjoyed it it won't be right without that.

But I've been Floyding out over here bigtime, just with this tiny box.

Here's the reminder to install the korg driver, have as little else plugged in to USB as possible, and to plug the nts1 directly into your computer (avoid hubs).
Both going through a hub, and having a midi keyboard plugged in caused me issues separately while trying to use the librarian.
Hopefully that works for you. They're great little boxes, even just for the fx.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

It doesn't need to be one or the other, or any set way. If that's what feels best for you, great. I think that once you have a way of creating that feels comfortable to you, changing it up and going counter to your usual methods might yield new and interesting results.

(I'm thinking in the broad sense. As could be applied to any creative process)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Lots of tiny projects is way better than a few massive projects.

My friend has a Microbrute that I might try out next I see her, I heard it’s alright.
I was getting this feeling on my own. Good to read some confirmation. I've been doing a patch from scratch in vcv rack every day after work. Right from picking out individual modules, up to recording a jam.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I find it less overwhelming if I just focus on one small aspect at a time, with the simple goals of seeing what I can learn, and having fun. Large goals, or what might be a very simple, second nature thing for a seasoned musician are still way outside of my grasp as of yet.
The big advantage of this is the fact that since I know so little, and have such a short time engaged in this line of discovery, I can't help but learn many new things.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I want to share the results of an experiment I did.

Running a little sequence on a simple oscillator, passing it through a filter, then through what I think is called rings (the resonator in vcv), I tried modulating a bunch of the parameters on the resonator with a sample of me yelling a shriek. Wow, that sure adds piles of texture!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

Volcas don't draw a ton but the plug is weird. I think its center positive and its definitely a non-standard barrel size.

Can confirm, they are reverse polarity from whatever most guitar pedals take.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Software is superior for production
Hardware is superior for fun
Trombones are superior for business

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

:laffo: Making patches is fun.

https://voca.ro/1dS7mK6eBu5f

That said, I have no idea how to ensure that my patch is actually good. Sure, it sounds good to me, but is there like a set of best practices for making patches that I should follow? Something like, I dunno, always use chorus or delay, EQ your leads/pads/bass/drums differently, etc.?

Also, I really need to find a drum machine VST. Laying down beats is way out of my wheelhouse.

If you'd like some free drums on your computer, check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5QhThwiwQ4 if it seems confusing, or too much to gather at first, there is a series of beginner videos on that channel which I've found helpful.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oh god, that's actually a minijack power adapter?

:aaaaa:
https://youtu.be/xC27V73CQC4
I have a sequencer that uses minijack power.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Martytoof posted:

I am extremely envious of people who have space for cool setups.

Space is really the only piece of a synth corner that I can't easily purchase I'm at the point where I have to really consider whether I get rid of the One because I'm just not using it, and it would give my 1K a place to sit.

e: Oh my sweet gracious gently caress, I didn't realize how dusty everything looks in the photo. It doesn't look that bad in real life but I guess I posted it so I won't shame out now :lol:
Gonna guess those ammo crates are not full of ammo, right? Cause that would be a lot of weight on a small shelf, over top of your valuables.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Arturia has apparently updated the Microfreak to add a wavetable mode. Haven't tried it yet.

looks/sounds pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa4LI-6imlg

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I’m honestly kind of spoiled by Vital. I don’t see many hardware synths that are as powerful. Where else can I hook up an LFO to another LFO to a volume envelope, two different filters, a phaser, and the transpose on one of my three oscillators? (not that I’ve made anything good with it :v:)
Build it yourself in eurorack?
Pretty sure all the modules you'd need for that are available as diy kits.
Probably one of those fancy wizzbang newfangled dealies like the vector synth or some sorta wave table thingamabob could do that too?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 28, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oh hey, what the heck, here's some of my bleep bloops too.
https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/29-oct-jam
If you listen to the other stuff on there, the Thanksgiving hymn was from when I learned that I would have to stay on past the end of my last 2 week shift. Not my usual tone, but the first time I've used vocals in any way.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

Thank you for the beeps, will post some more sometime soon.
:cheers:

The fun for me lately has been using grids and a Turing machine to make the beat and melody. I rig it up, turn it loose, and then see how I can corral and wrangle the sounds. Every time, it's something new and unexpected.
Less intentionally playing the instrument, more like a living thing that I try to hold onto and nudge in different directions.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 30, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

Talkin' 'bout my PENIS!

Synth sounds are way thicker and harder.
Keeps going longer too.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yo, this was a great effort and joyous result. Keep it up!

I'd like to read and listen to what Agreed posted, but it will have to wait for the morning.

I'll just drop off tonight's experiment before bed.
Tonight I learned that I could sequence hardware with vcv rack via midi, so I patched a little something together to try it out. Drum sounds are from an un-synced pocket operator.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wow, Pollyanna, you put more thought andeffort into your analysis than I did in creating that.
I used a neat sequencer called ions for the pitch and an emulation of grids to generate the rhythm in vcv rack. Sent that via midi to a semi modular monosynth fed through an Amazon compressor pedal, a sub n up octaver, and a cheap metal distortion pedal.
I just randomized the knobs on ions and hit go. Then I fiddled with knobs to see what happens.
My actual key playing skills are still very very beginner, but I am learning. Getting lots of practice in.

ETA a video showing a bit of my messing aroundhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJqPI2foVo0
and the recording https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/3nov?si=bd1d3da06dff4b72a8f0fd998ec0f864

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mr. Sharps posted:

ah yes ofc ofc. though now im thinking of how you'd patch up a burst generator. two independent S&H signals going into a comparator with a decaying offset would be the first way i'd try, but my modular is currently set up for a track so someone else is going to have to try instead
I pick the module from count modula that sez "burst generator" on it. Emulation is lovely. I had no idea they were used for claps! I've just been using it for ratcheting.