Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Lofty132 posted:

My parents have a Panasonic Viera smart tv, is there some kind of DLNA app I can download on the tv so I can cast plex to it from my iPhone?

It's built in but not part of the full screen menu. Hit a button like "Viera Cast" or something on the remote. It's the button that brings up a menu along the bottom quarter of the screen and one of the item is literally DLNA Servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

porktree posted:

I do that, then I'm in the middle of some sweet Vainglory battle and my wife want's me to pause the TV show. Spouses, children and parents love remotes.

After using the iOS plex app on my iPhone 5 I went looking for a Device with a remote . It went like this a few times:

Oh I need to pause/rewind
Take phone out of pocket
Hit power button
Enter unlock
Double tap home to get back to plex
Plex crashes on resume
Navigate to plex container
Launch plex
Hit chromecast button
What do you mean you can't find it on the network??!
Wait 20 seconds
Connect
Pause
Why did I need to pause it again?

The iOS app is a piece of poo poo. Particularly with chromecast. So much happier with the Amazon fire stick but I miss the ease of YouTube casting

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

You saying Youtube doesn't exist on the fire stick?

I'm saying that if you navigate to the settings and turn on maracas as long as you don't navigate to another app it will take a cast from your phone. Vs the chrome stick that will just switch from what it was doing to play the video.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cornjob posted:

my PS3 and RPi running rasplex are both on wifi, connected to the same tv. The PS3 "buffered" all the time while trying to watch a movie. i gave up after a few minutes. my RPi works without issue.

That was my experience. Still may replace the RPi with a fire stick though

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Any way to force the Plex pass sync to pickup subtitles? It seems really hit or miss about getting them.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

There is a specific naming scheme for them. Are all of yours named accordingly?

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200471133-Adding-Local-Subtitles-to-Your-Media

Example: movie.en.srt for english subs, etc.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

There is a specific naming scheme for them. Are all of yours named accordingly?

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200471133-Adding-Local-Subtitles-to-Your-Media

Example: movie.en.srt for english subs, etc.

They're found on the server. Just not synced.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

How is the Fire TV Stick as a Plex client? Can it Direct Play x264 1080 mkvs? I've seen some people having issues with DTS audio but they're old posts and it won't be using surround sound anyway. Thinking of getting one for my parents f
to replace the lovely Sumvision Cyclone 4 they have since its on sale for Prime Day.

I used it for a bit and it wasn't bad but not great. Seeking was near impossible and it crashed a few times. Apple TV is much better but what 4x the cost ?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EngineerJoe posted:

Plex has Netflix style continuous play now. It's pretty great!

For what player?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Plex Lifetime is on sale for $120. More than the $75 special people get randomly offered, but possibly the only discount you'll ever see. How useful is the Sync/Download option for most people? Does it just download the original file or does it transcode into a format the device can play?

Jesus Christ I just subbed lifetime a day before.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

It seems if Plex is serious about doing this, they're going to need to roll out their own centers with end to end encryption, and that just seems far too much work/cost to bother based on how many people want such a thing.

Wait. Do you know for a fact it's not encrypted? I.e. You could just download it with a normal amazon drive client and play it no problems?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Suggested device to replace streaming off my PS4? 1080, has to be wired instead of wireless only.

If you're in the eco-system at all AppleTV 4th gen was the best plex device I've used of a Fire Stick, PlexPi, PS3, 360.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I didn’t get one, but my auto renew happened only a few days back so I’m not surprised.

I was able to convert to a lifetime from yearly a few days after a renewal and they refunded the yearly during one of their sales last year. I think this thread suggested I try it and it worked.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

You sound like a twat. You asked for a refund and you got one in a timely manner. That's a good thing.

Actually they asked for two refunds in two hours and got both. Then complains about the Customer Support of the company.

I actually use a similar experience as part of why I recommend PlexPass. I was a 2 year subscriber having forgotten to get the lifetime before they raised the price. My 3rd year subscription came up, I got it then they had a $75 lifetime for all users for some reason. On the advice of this thread I got it then mailed CS. They refunded my 3rd year subscription, after they already had my lifetime money. They’re good people who know how good CS works.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is this thread Plex-specific, or do you guys do Emby too? (or is there another thread that would be better for that?)

AFAIK neither Plex or Emby has support for offloading encoding to another machine on the network, right? I wonder if you could set up the Emby server as a NFS host and SLURM cluster head-node, and then alter the ffmpeg encoder command so it launches the job onto the SLURM worker nodes instead of locally... that might be a way you could scale to higher numbers of streams at the same time (I don't really need this, just interesting).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753964 is the Emby thread.

Plex doesn't support that AFAIK.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

codo27 posted:

New user here and just kinda assumed I'd need the Pass to access my library remotely. Is that untrue?

If you want to save it to a mobile device and access it off line you need a pass, otherwise no.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Does anyone use a plex plugin that will turn a youtube channel into the closet thing to a tv show possible?

What I'd consider the minimum is:
* Be able to subscribe to a channel and have it show up as a linked series
* Be able to have a watched/unwatched status on the individual videos in the series

Nice to have:
* Be able to sync the videos to a mobile device with plex pass.

What I'm doing now is running youtube-dl on a separate library per play list but it's kinda heavy load to add one. (Make the directory, set up youtube-dl in a cron job to check, add the library to plex, tell it to sync to the device.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Looks like Plex Cloud's End of Life announced for November https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/plex-cloud-shutting-down-1202936840/

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

You can also reach out to support. They’re really good about that. I did a year renewal and 10 days later they had a sale on lifetime. They told me to buy lifetime then they’d refund the full year.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I could've sworn you couldn't make a collection out of individual TV episodes, but now I seem to be able to. Is this new or was I just wrong all along?

Oh man I know way too much of this.

So if you are using the plexapi at a minimum the EpisodeEdit does have the Collection Mixin and you can add the episode to the collection. However they're not as useful because you can't create a smart playlist with an episode collection, only with a shower collection.

But if you want I just did this:

code:
>>> shows = plex.library.section(TARGET_LIBRARY).all()
>>> shows[0].episodes()[0].addCollection('quill18creates')
>>> shows[0].episodes()[0].collections
[<Collection:Quill18creates>]
Then went to the collection tab for that library, saw there's a quill18creates collection, clicked it and it contains 1 episode, the one that I added above and from that I can watch it. But as above when you go to create a smart playlist of a library, episode collection isn't an option, and the collection doesn't show up since no shows are in it.

But I've spent the last two weeks going mindbogglingly deep into plex and the plexapi, writing my own scanner, and dozen of scripts to manipulate it the way I want. AMA!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

cruft posted:

Do you regret your hobby decisions?

Not at all! This is been all yak shaving. I took a screenshot for discord earlier and called it a thing of beauty.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

teagone posted:

If I needed to transcode 4K video to burn in PGS or rear end format subtitles, a Core i3-12100 should be enough to do that even without hardware transcoding, right? Putting together a build for a new Plex server that doesn't have Plex Pass.

It's not prettied up or graphed yet, but:
https://gist.github.com/ironicbadger/5da9b321acbe6b6b53070437023b844d

Has a bunch of time/fps/wattage for using quicksync to transcode
code:
CPU       TEST            FILE                        BITRATE     TIME      AVG_FPS  AVG_SPEED  AVG_WATTS
i3-12100  h264_1080p_cpu  ribblehead_1080p_h264       18952 kb/s  57.530s   60.43    2.15x      N/A
i3-12100  h264_1080p      ribblehead_1080p_h264       18952 kb/s  14.777s   230.78   7.95x      3.64
i3-12100  h264_4k         ribblehead_4k_h264          46881 kb/s  54.994s   62.23    2.28x      3.64
i3-12100  hevc_8bit       ribblehead_1080p_hevc_8bit  14947 kb/s  50.198s   68.18    2.38x      3.42
i3-12100  hevc_4k_10bit   ribblehead_4k_hevc_10bit    44617 kb/s  167.581s  21.52    .72x       3.65
so h264_4k is at ~62FPS transcode, dropping down to 21FPS for h265.

(Methodology at https://blog.ktz.me/i-need-your-help-with-intel-quick-sync-benchmarking/)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Maybe also a weird proxy that's not allowing websocket upgrades?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Bonzo posted:

We had a bunch of old home movies transferred to DVD. I ripped it to Plex as "Family Movies.wmv" and Plex tagged it as Manson Family Movies. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0183492/

That just means you had a movie scanner or agent for that library. You want the plex video file scanner and no agent

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

There's an entire library type called Home Movies specifically to avoid this, it's where I put any Youtube videos I've saved or stuff like concert videos and whatnot.

The HDR setting does warn that it will make video look too dark:

I wouldn't think it would be device or app dependent, unless something is skipping transcoding altogether?

Library type and scanner are not the same thing though. And youtube videos should use the Absolute Series Scanner and Youtube agent as an example.
Go to Config (Wrench) => YOUR SERVER => Manage => Libraries => HOVER OVER LIBRARY => Edit Library => Advanced
Check the Scanner and Agent
You want Plex Video Files Scanner for the first and
Personal Media Agent for the second.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TVGM posted:

I'm having stuttering issues with direct playback on a very large Linux distro. Is there a TV-adjacent Plex client that can actually download ISOs for playback? I have an Xbox and PS5, but it doesn't look like they allow for that on those platforms.

I use infuse but Apple TV.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

A whole lot of cringe has come out of Reddit but this one tops it all for me, gross.

Oh you sweet summer child... Crotch spawn goes back *at least* to live journal if not earlier.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Alan G posted:

I just had a pop up on Plex on apple tv prompting me to review a bunch of settings I had as private and to expose to friends or friends of friends. The ui wasnt skippable and defaulted to have them as the plex suggested change. Seemed pretty lovely as most people might just accept and skip through.

What's weird is that has nothing to do with the plex server. I got the same popup when I used the web app this morning.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Aware posted:

I think it presents an iCal feed they could add to their calendar app of choice? You'd need to make sure this is publically accessible especially for Google and Apple cloud based poo poo.

Google indicates the link contains your API key though so.. uh you might not want to share that depending on your risk appetite.

It does, but oddly enough I just cut the &apiKey=XXXX from the URL and it worked...

https://sonarr.url.com/sonarr/feed/calendar/Sonarr.ics

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Corb3t posted:

How big is everybody's Plex server? I'm curious.

I've got an 110 TB Unraid server with about 80 TB full.

code:
zpool list
NAME            SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
Christmas-Eve  98.2T  61.8T  36.5T        -         -     8%    62%  1.00x    ONLINE  -
WinterPalace   72.8T  29.3T  43.5T        -         -     2%    40%  1.00x    ONLINE  -
rpool           222G   106G   116G        -         -    62%    47%  1.00x    ONLINE  -

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm still amazed at what they had to do for the ST:TNG blurays. The show was shot on film so they could just go back and scan that, except a lot of episodes didn't have a complete 'master' copy, so they had to go digging through multiple takes of each camera and recreate each episode by hand :catstare:

As opposed to what they did with Buffy The Vampire Slayer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZWNGq70Oyo

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Does any of the 3rd party plugins talk to plex view history enough to let me do a search of title or description of something I've watched?

Context: I import a bunch of gamedev youtube channels into plex and then watch them at 3x speed while doing cardio. One I watched this week I didn't make a note of like I normally do and want to add it to a note now but am having trouble finding it, but I know what it'd be from something in the description.

So I need a full text search of my personal 7 day history from a specific library. I'm handy enough with plexapi that I can write a one off but if tautulli or overseer or something else would do it, I'd rather learn to use that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

deong posted:

I recently installed tautulli and it didn't import the past history. So I have good logs from when it started up til now.
Know if there was option to pull back viewing logs?

Yep. Same. Only apparently I never updated it when I moved my plex from LXC to docker so it missed the last 9 months. It does import from two other deprecated things but not sure if THOSE will fill in history.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Talorat posted:

Is there a nice tool that can show me a graph of hard drive space over time? I used to manually calculate my “burn rate” so that I knew when I would need to buy more drives, but I’m sure there’s something that does it in very pretty way and maybe with more information?

I don't know of one, and it's an interesting enough thing that I'm curious how it would work. Assume the mtime of a file was when it was written, and then scan the disk constructing a history based on that?

Can't use ctime because many downloaders backdate the ctime to the original ctime of the file. Not sure how that would work with zip/rar files.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Talorat posted:

Os is Ubuntu, the storage is a single ZFS raid on the same device. I basically just want something that runs du -hf every day and then graphs the results. I guess I can just do it myself.

Oh, just install netdata then I'm pretty sure that'll do it for you in one go.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Well Played Mauer posted:

Same. Arts in Docker and Plex on bare metal so it canaccess a 1080 without hours of fiddling.

I know you got what you like, but the vGPU in docker is super easy in 2024. Was just adding:

code:
    deploy:
      resources:
        reservations:
          devices:
            - driver: nvidia
              count: 1
              capabilities: [gpu]
    environment:
      - PUID=${PUID}
      - PGID=${PGID}
      - TZ=${TZ}
      - VERSION=docker
      - NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=all
      - NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES=compute,video,utility
to the docker-compose file. (Lol, almost left my PLEX_CLAIM in)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

njsykora posted:

Just that it's not available outside my network, except it's like this even on other devices connected to the network too. Specifically my PS5, both it and my Plex PC are connected to the router by ethernet.

Scroll down 'Limit remote stream bitrate' what's that set to? Maybe it's so low that only sd can fit the speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

This is getting far from plex, but does anyone know something like this for radio stations? I'd love to make a commericial free feed of the local alt station's playlist through amazon music, apple music or spotify. Or even be able to do it from a particular time period. Like 15 years ago I had a cron job crawling a website a station posted with their recent plays and saving it in a db, but can't even remember what machine that was or where the database might be.