Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
This is the Best of threads, this is the Blurst of threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

Can the Lib Dems really afford to alienate the sad remains of their left wing support any further?

They're not left wing, they're in the center*.

*They're indecisive pricks who'll do as their told and like it just to maintain even the glimmering hope of relevancy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Umiapik posted:

You plebs just don't understand: the mere, magical fact of the Royal Mail being privatized has caused the business to massively gain in value :smug:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/douglascarswellmp/100265616/of-course-royal-mail-share-prices-have-gone-up-because-its-been-privatised/

(And what lesson does this supply for what we should do with all the other public services, eh? Eh?)

They should privatize the police so I can save up all year and pay the police to let me wander into the Telegraph's Comment department and take a big runny poo poo on this guy's desk.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

Just watched this on iplayer. "After 14 years of renting, Kate can finally afford a three-bed house for £500k. With help from her mum and dad, speech therapist Kate and her husband who works for a hedge fund can muster a £25k deposit of 5%, on top of which taxpayers are chipping in £100k interest-free for five years."

We are all paying for this. :gonk:

Also, what the hell are a hedge fund guy and a speech therapist doing with their money that they couldn't even save up £25k over more than a decade?

Meanwhile, the Nationwide index shows house prices up 0.4% in March; London prices went up 18% over the last year. We are now only 3% below the 2007 peak: http://www.nationwide.co.uk/~/media/MainSite/documents/about/house-price-index/Mar_2014.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKADQnjQmc

I hope you lose your bet soon. For some reason prices of rent in Glasgow have shot up by about £100 since the last time I was looking for a flat.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So Ed Miliband called David Cameron the Dunce of Downing Street and apparently it's sticking. Odd how popular it is with people who told me I should be polite to Tories after I told Douglas Carswell to privatize his face so I can pay to stomp on it forever.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

That doesn't seem exactly the same though really does it?

I will admit I'm a step above the out of work HIGNFY writer that fed him that line but other than that I don't see the difference.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Yeah but guys, they insulted the QUEEN! ARE QUEEN! ROYUL FAMILY!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

For a lot of people the Monarchy is an important symbol of the country and a part of our heritage and cultural traditions.

All of those things are terrible though.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Well the Queen is appointed by God and that's pretty much the same thing to Howling Mad Murdoch.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

And tomorrow is the anniversary of Margaret Thatchers death (and my kids first birthday which is why I remember).

That is really awful for the family though, I hope it doesn't turn out to be drugs or drink related for their sake.

Do you fear reincarnation?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Setting a precedent where a Tory Front Bencher has to resign due to massive amounts of obvious corruption can't be good for the Tories.

Or Labour, for that matter.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
How are Christians the most persecuted faith in the world today? I hear it a lot but it never goes past "We can't burn witches practice our faith as openly with all these queers anti christian bigots"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

You've just described Christians as witch burning homophobic bigots so maybe he's not wide of the mark?

Mate, you been to church recently?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm a vicious, powerful bastard, me.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Any time I end up having to go to church it's about the gays.

They also have a go at Landlords and bankers so I end up leaving conflicted.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Fluo posted:

Maybe try a different Church if you're Religious? Seems like you're going to a bad one. Every church is different even within Anglican churches.

Not religious, just have to go there sometimes for work.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

The only acceptable course of action is for you to start renting from a gay landlord. You'll still be conflicted, but I've always wanted to find out if it's possible to power a perpetual motion machine with frustrated rage.

"A perpetual motion machine powered with frustrated rage" is on my family crest.

I say family crest, I mean one of those singing bass things with the eyes cut out.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Just lose your bet already Lemon, God drat.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...on-9253203.html

quote:

A ramshackle brick-built garage next to a south London light industrial estate has become the most expensive ever to sell in Britain after reaching an auction price of £550,000 in a “frenzied” bidding war.

The 568sq ft former coach house, used for years to park the mayor of Southwark’s car, went under the hammer for almost triple the guide price and £150,000 more than the average house in “up-and-coming” Camberwell.

It is also £25,000 more than was raised by the sale of a double garage in the shadow of Harrod’s in Knightsbridge, central London, last year – a record at the time.

The double-height bare-brick building with a 100sq ft cobbled drive next to Vanguard Court - an estate of 40 small workshops off Peckham Road - would require planning permission for change of use if it is to be turned into a residential property.

More than 200 artists and small business owners who work in the adjoining studios launched a campaign to prevent Southwark Council from going through with the sale. They feared any future occupier could object to the noise and obtain a noise abatement order forcing them out.

Some neighbours believe the anonymous buyer may be a wealthy local artist who has stepped in to save the studios as an act of philanthropy.

The brick-built garage off Peckham Road Pop singer Florence Welch, actor Tim Roth, TV star Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen and film director Mike Leigh all studied at the nearby Camberwell College of Arts. Angel Of The North sculptor Anthony Gormley lives in neighbouring Peckham and has exhibited at the college’s gallery.

Auctioneers Andrew Scott Robertson, which handled the sale, described the garage as having development potential subject to planning consent.

Photographs in the sales brochure show the only fixtures and fittings behind the steel shutter are a pile of wooden pallets and two strip lights hanging from bare-wood beams.

Neighbour Craig Bamford, 42, an architect and artist, said: “For just a bit of space it’s a lot of money, but it would make a nice little house. It’s getting more expensive around here. They are saying we’re going to be the next Shoreditch.

“It’s worrying because it raises prices, then only the wealthy can live here and that kind of kills the interesting part of a place. We’re hoping it becomes somebody’s studio.”

Craig Gorman, 48, a carpenter, said: “It’s just a garage, I’m shocked someone would pay so much, even the starting price is too much, but then it’s becoming trendy around here.”

Another artist said: “Apparently it was one of the biggest sale turnouts with more than 100 people all trying their hardest to snap it up.”

Miles Shipside, 55, a housing market analyst for Rightmove, said: “I have never seen a garage go for this much. Half a million pounds to park your car in? That would be extreme.

“What’s ridiculous is the shortage of housing supply, which means people are potentially paying this sort of money to create a home because there is such a shortage of more traditional residential properties. People are having to be creative.

Richard Livingstone, Southwark Council’s finance cabinet member, said: “Like most councils, Southwark has experienced big cuts. We are therefore delighted to have sold this garage for such a good price.”

Soon to be converted into three flats that cost £1,500 a month.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Rangers fans are the worst. Loud, violent and bigoted. Don't know why but I've never seen it happen with Celtic fans unless they're near Rangers fans.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
loving Queen loving, proddy scum.

Born from protestant ancestry, don't judge me.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's an old joke, but rather acurate in the situation.

Shame, a decent person turns up in Labour and they're immediately suspended. Let that be a lesson on talking about the tory disabled killings.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

If only this were true about Thatcher's grave.

Any grave of Thatcher's is cold and shallow compared to how deep I would dig to make sure she never climbed out screeching "FREEEEE MARKETS" like a demented banshie.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

I would be interested in a chart showing the correlation between "being a young Tory" and "having a bright red face".

They're being interviewed for something called "Young and Tory" in Vice. My face would be red, buried in my hands and deeply sobbing out of shame alone.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I want to choke the one that looks like Evil Daniel Radcliffe with his own ascot.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Nigel Faberge is just highlighting the problem with MP expenses in that it can be used for anything.

Nigel is merely mad about EU waste, mad about the causes of EU waste. Such as himself.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's been appropriated from communists even before that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If I saw Kelvin Mackenzie dragged out into a pub car park and set on fire my only reaction would be to walk up and warm my hands on the bloody flames.

There's a reference like maybe two people in this thread will get.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Puntification posted:

He made some comments about poor people all being fat and lazy who just eat chips in front of their massive-wide screen tvs or something along those lines.

He also claimed to be working more hours a week than is physically possible since he was 16 or something. I'd say he's a Tory Boy tit with crap restaurants but he's been noted as saying he likes UKIP.

Edit: Eh, beaten.

Ddraig posted:

Having worked in several restaurants, this is generally true of virtually all of them. Anti-social working hours, incredibly low pay, and assholes for bosses. It's one of the reasons why I left that particular industry, even though it's probably the only thing I've worked at that I was actually good at.

Awful industry to work in. Wouldn't go back unless I had no choice or it unionised.

It is partially responsible for my view that every time someone mentions small business owners being the backbone of the country I get a kneejerk urge to demand Britain gets Bane'd because every small business I've worked for have been lying, cheating, cheap bastards.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 16, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If the fish is endangered then why is he selling it in the first place? And does he do panda burgers, because I bet they would be delicious.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

KKKlean Energy posted:

Does it? I would say the CIA has a history of achieving its goals. I'm reading Killing Hope right now and it's a laundry list of "here's a country the CIA wanted to gently caress up -- they hosed it up."

They have a history of being very good at loving up those who can't fight back. Any country that can afford it's own counter intelligence agency could run rings around the CIA and frequently did.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I don't see why the Tax payer should have to fork out for your flatscreen TVs and fancy imported diseases just because you're too stubborn to accept your inheritance from those Nigerian princes.

I mean what's wrong with a good old fashioned British plague, hm?!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

JFairfax posted:

No, I'm not a troon

You're not a town in South Ayrshire?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It seems like a lot of effort and time would be wasted trying to get free food when you can afford to get it with your own money. You'd have to be particularly dedicated to cheating the system to even bother trying.

So well done Mail on Sunday for going out of your way to pretend that starvation in Britain isn't a thing, I guess.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
He's openly admitted to stealing from a charity in order to bolster the conservative party, yes.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Looks like he's left his phone number up on his twitter that he deleted. Woopsie Dasies.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...lient=firefox-a

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
In good news according to twitter apparently the article has given Food bank donations a huge boost.

Still amazed it was even published. Ignore the fact that it's a Christian organisation that feeds the poor and this article was published on Easter. They turned up, lied to a charity, stole from a charity under the pretense they were hungry and needed the food, laid the Tescos value loot out in someone's backyard with the guy who did it looking disgusted at the charities for letting him do that and they thought "Yeah, this is a good way of showing that nobody is starving in Britain."

How do you do that and not realise "Oh gently caress, I'm the bad guy. I'm the villain." How do you read that and not realise "Oh poo poo, I'm on the side of monsters".

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ross Slater, charity baiter posted:

All food returned to saint Philip church Notts at 0930 plus small donation

Well that's it all better now.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
In other news that's also awful, potential rapist to grill victim because he can't afford legal representation.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-grilled-court-alleged-rapist-3434274

quote:

A woman is to be grilled in court by her alleged rapist after he was refused legal aid because of Government cuts.

Family Court Judge Stephen Wildblood said he was shocked the mum faces being quizzed by her ex-partner during a custody battle over their three-year-old child.

The judge argued that as it is unlawful for rapists to quiz alleged victims in criminal courts it shouldn’t happen in family cases.

He said in a judgment : “One of the many serious allegations made by the mother is that she was raped by the father…

"His ­application for legal aid has been rejected.

"I invited them [the Legal Aid Board] to reconsider the father’s application for legal aid as a matter of urgency.

“I was told that the application had been reconsidered and had been rejected again.”

The Sunday Mirror has told how many women are being questioned by brutal ex-partners who cannot get legal aid.

Justice expert Harry Fletcher said: “It’s outrageous that a man accused of rape is able to cross-examine his victim because of the absence of legal aid.”

There we go. New Evil. You thought it couldn't be done in 2014 but we've found new ways to be evil.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Remove all schools that aren't state funded. Ban private schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

Then what will we use as feeder institutions for high office?

Unions.

• Locked thread