Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Lamela, Altidore, and Cornelius for me. Lamela was the most expensive and never even plays (probably on huge money per week too), Altidore plays all the time and is totally gash, and Cornelius for the fun transfer hijinks. They're all terrible signings in different ways, not really a point in arguing over who was worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

tbf Jozy barely plays anymore, Poyet knows he's gash. He had to play against Liverpool because Borini was ineligible.

He's only missed like five of their games all season. He definitely counts for the "terrible player who plays all the time" kind of bad transfer.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

They're going to subsidize his wages wherever he goes because he's refusing to leave unless he keeps his £175k a week wages.

In other Premier League news Sunderland have been fined for playing Ji Dong-Won in 5 matches he wasn't eligible for

They should get a points deduction for this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Nah, they should lose like ten on principle. What kind of standard are we setting for other teams if we don't properly punish a team for this just because they're poo poo and getting relegated anyway?

Also, gently caress Sunderland.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

This just sounds like they're replacing their strikers. Paying Mandzukic, Costs, a third striker, and Torres isnt really going to lower the wage bill.

They'll only be paying a portion of Torres's wages since the other club will presumably still have him on a contract, and Eto'o is apparently being paid a lot because he was free. Plus Torres's contract will expire after two years and their wage bill will actually substantially decrease, but during that time they'll have a competent striker playing for them instead.

It's true, it probably won't reduce their wage bill much in the short term, but in the long run it might. Although I imagine Costa and Mandzukic will command large wages. Then again, FFP is pretty useless anyway and Chelsea will have increased clean revenue coming in next season from the new TV deal.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

Are we all just asuming that Bayern have no interest in keeping Mandzukic?

My understanding was that he wants to leave because Lewandowski is coming in. Plus we all know how much Pep hates centre forwards.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Isn't Demba Ba on pretty massive wages also for what he's worth?

It's Chelsea and they were signing him on the back of his Newcastle purple patch, so yeah he's probably making 6 figures a week to train.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The easy answer would be that it's not true. Our sources for this story are a) the Sun and b) some terrorists. Not the most reputable sources.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'll do a big lol irl if David Moyes leaves Everton for United and Roberto Martinez gets Everton into the Champions League while Moyes ends up in the Europa League with the reigning champions.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shoren posted:

I don't think Arsenal are going to lose out on 4th place just because Everton have a tougher run-in, namely having to play City.

Arsenal have 12 points from their last 10 games and have lost or drawn their last 4. Everton have 21, including winning the last 6 in a row.

It doesn't matter what your run-in is if you're in terrible form.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

We've been playing Flani Alves out of position for months

Once Flanno's loan ends and he returns to Preferred Position FC he's going to be beastly.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well, he sher wood be a change from having Gus Fring manage them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

The FA have done something right for once and have blocked attempts to rename Hull City 'Hull Tigers'.

This is after the fans voted 'in favour' of the change, but only narrowly, with a low turnout, and with an extremely loaded question.

This might actually be the best possible result. The owners will hopefully be placated a bit by the fan vote, but the name doesn't actually change.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
50 years from now people will remember Wenger for the Invincibles, but they'll also wonder how he could win the league in 2004 and then nothing after 2005. If he built a team that could go undefeated, why did he stop being able to win anything a year later?

Arsenal fans will remember him for rebuilding the club in his own image, and to be fair he did revolutionize the way they did things, but will that really be enough?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

Enough for what?

To not tarnish his legacy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

not not luvd posted:

You have to be kidding me. This forum is dire sometimes.

It's a legitimate question luvd. Wenger's legacy to non-Arsenal fans will be the Invincibles but it'll also be the long trophy drought. Arsenal fans will remember him rebuilding the club, but other people probably won't because rebuilding the club didn't lead to a long series of trophies the way it did with a manager like Shankly or Ferguson.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Charlotte Hornets posted:

what does Arsenal do with the sweet sweet profits they post every financial year?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Headhunter posted:

I'm so mad at some of my fellow Everton fans right now. A few that I know would rather we lose to City if it means that Liverpool don't win the title. They would happily give up a chance at CL qualification just to spite Liverpool. Madness.

They're the Ninpos of Everton. They're almost certainly not the majority of Everton fans.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

not not luvd posted:

That's the opposite of Ninpo IIRC.

No, I think Ninpo was the one saying he'd rather United miss out on CL if it meant Liverpool not winning the league, and was totally mystified how anyone could think differently.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
These are the posts I was thinking of btw luvd:

Ninpo posted:

Maybe I'm too old, but standing rivalries trump sudden league positions. For example in 2012, any match between City and Liverpool I wanted Liverpool to lose, badly, not withstanding any chance of a meteor. I wanted Liverpool to lose to Arsenal always in the late 90s/early 00s.

Rivalry means something, it's not gained or dismissed on the back of a league's possible finishing positions for a single season ffs. It's annoying as loving oval office hell that Liverpool are finishing above United this season, I couldn't give two shits about where City or Arsenal are finishing. Wtf is wrong with you lot? Arsenal hate Spurs obviously but a close second to that is United, an Arsenal fan posting they hope United beat Liverpool is fuckin bizarro city and plastic 101.

Ninpo posted:

So apparently I'm old, then. I don't care, I'd rather Chelsea or Arsenal or even City win the league over Liverpool.

Ninpo posted:

Btw if this is strange to anyone in TRP, you're weird plastics, hth.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

I want Liverpool to win because they are cool and good

same, op

Personally imo it's 1. Liverpool, 2. Liverpool, 3. Liverpool, 4. idk Liverpool I guess

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

Liverpool winning the league the moment Ferguson has gone would be really funny

This plus United finishing like 7th with Fergie's hand-picked successor is the #1 reason any non-Pool fan should support us winning the league imo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jesus Christ.

The man is a loving millionaire. Who gives a poo poo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Burqa King posted:

My experience of Liverpool fans is that they're insufferable whether they lose or win. They are horribly sentimental and constantly talk about being victimised, more than the Jews even. I want them (Liverpool fans) to be ground to dust. I want the dust to be sealed in lead and dropped in the Irish Sea so it doesn't contaminate the rest of us.

There are too many ex-players in the media too. Way more than there should be. Finally, I fuckibg hate Jamie Redknapp and his stupid waistcoats and youthful appearance.

There is much less sanctimonious mythology surrounding Chelsea and City, perhaps because they haven't been around as long. Jose is good-looking and has a GSOH. Pellegrini is too old to be likable so he is my second choice.

Wow, good one.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Taff posted:

Ive been told that my sources dont think theres a chance Moyes is getting sacked in the summer

This is the first time I've really hoped your itk knowledge is actually true

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My sources are telling me that Moyes will either be sacked or he won't, or he might resign.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I hope we beat City by one goal and they have one incorrectly ruled out for offside.

Oh wait no I hope we smash them 12-0 and Suarez and Sturridge each score a double hat trick.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

It would be pretty cool if both Man City and Man Utd missed out on the CL next year.

Agreed, Kick Manchester Out Of Football imo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

Liverpool should be worried they still play Palace imo

Palace are safe so their players may give up and they've only had a few months of Pulis so maybe he hasn't beat into them not to give up (and also to despise Liverpool) yet. We can hope.

With the form we're in, I would also trust us to score at least three goals against pretty much any team in the world, including Crystal Pulis. Would be better if the game were at Anfield though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kagawa and Man United.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

England Striker Danny Welbeck has also largely played on the wing

I'm somewhat amused by the fact that people haven't yet twigged on to the fact that the core problem United have had this season is still in creating anything in the middle of the park, and have instead assumed that two of the most prolific strikers in Premier League history are actually both poo poo (and also Danny Welbeck, who once was good for Sunderland, like five years ago)

Good thing you've got noted Creative Midfielders Juan Mata and Shinji Kagawa then, to play on the wing and/or the bench.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

United went looking for somebody who was going to carry on in the manner that it was built, somebody who had the right work ethic and who would be able to show the right commitment to the club. It was very clear what they wanted, and why the chose the person they did,

lol yeah it is, it's because he's Scottish.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

If only there was a blueprint of his managerial style & vision someone could have looked at first, say 10 years worth.

Hmmm yes I have found this blueprint for you Greg:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

belgend posted:

Someone post more United memes I'm pretty sure FLJ did all the posts

This is me reading FLJ's posts.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dudley posted:

Now come on be fair, how many better Scotsmen could they have got?

Paul Lambert could probably do a job.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Spangly A posted:

four people who arent tbp predicted outside top 4. Four.

I think it's absolutely fair to say people expected Davey Moyes to do better than his Everton team by more than a 2 point margin.

Who were they? I don't have Archives and am curious.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The guillotine's
Sharp blade?
Well then, just what?
I'm not afraid of the guillotine,
I laugh at the executioner,
At his sharp blade.
The guillotine is my life,
Every day they execute me...

Every day two gentlemen
In old-fashioned frock coats
Sit with me as guests.
And then they lead me through the door,
They take my hands firmly
And lay me under the sharp blade.
My life passes this way...

And on Sundays people go
To an execution, as to a low farce.
The guillotine?
A sharp blade?
Well then, just what?
I'll drink the glass down now...
Let them lead me out to execution.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

There are actually people who revel
In all kinds of obstacles.

But I don't appreciate difficulties.
I like success to come easy!

I know there's a certain pleasure
In butting your way through doors.

But me, I'm a simple kind of fellow,
Who says that's the most boring work of all!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I could be in Paris or Vienna
But I'm crazy about Moscow,
Where you beat yourself against a wall,
Your own head against slabs, somehow.

Hoping and burning,
Searching for another fate.
And it seems to you like paradize
All this wall that is so great.—

Where all my values I displaced—
Such times do us somehow fit—
I beat myself and was effaced,
Though that wall is made of poo poo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm sad that we won't have any more Moyes gifs.

The next manager won't last either. You've killed Andropov but you have to kill Chernenko too before you get Gorbachev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also the one time when Cleverley looked like a football player was when he was at Wigan under Martinez. I wouldn't be surprised if Martinez signs him for Everton and he turns out decent.

• Locked thread