Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Radish posted:

I highly doubt it. Half the country has totally bought into their idea that the government is inherently worse than the private sector for anything so there's no push from the populace to solve this deadlock one way or the other. It feels to me that the future of the country is coasting on whatever we can drag out of congress while social programs are slowly starved and replaced with whatever scam someone who wants to earn a quick buck creates in its absence. Congress doesn't seem like it's going to change anytime soon and the senate seems like a 50-50 coin flip as well.

I'm more curious as to what caused this whole deadlock in the first place. My gut* tells me that a combination of factors like 9-11 and the rapid advancement of technology in media especially is causing us all to just stare at the shiny thing on the ground without actually picking it up and doing anything with it.

*: "My gut" translates to "having no evidence for this whatsoever"

JT Jag posted:

If the Republicans win the Presidency in 2016, it will be merely the end result of a series of events going terribly wrong. In the event of that, the Republicans will surely have won the Senate in 2014, and hold it in 2016, and I may have killed myself.

I am so with you on this point.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Radish posted:

This is what I got in Virginia around the same time. It feels like the Christian right has become stronger and more brazen in the last ten years so I have no idea if that's still the case.

I got my sex eds in the early 2000's in VA, and that's basically what they told me. They told me condoms had a 99% effectiveness rating, essentially.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

*Regarding the fantasy scenario*
:circlefap:

Yeah, I highly doubt something like that would happen, as much as I would love to see it. The Republican establishment isn't dumb enough to let that sort of thing play out.

AsInHowe posted:

That whole scenario just happened in regards to rape in 2012. That whole thing. It just happened.

And it can happen again, because that's what the base wants to have happen.

And they seem to be doing just fine, so...

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

I misremembered the book name, it is Global Crisis. It is about the little ice age of the 1600s. The short version is the real danger from climate change is not the environment changing on us, it is how we react to the climate changing. When resources get scarce, people get mean. The famines kicked off a shitload of wars and revolutions, which in turn created disease pandemics and more famines, which lead to more wars and revolutions, etc etc etc. There is every reason to believe this will be the case with further climate change. As drinking water in south east asia becomes more scarce, do you think it is more likely we will see a concentrated global effort to save human lives by building massive distilleries and infrastructure to make ocean water potable and transport it, or do you think you are going to see China lock up the headwaters to save their people and everyone else flip their poo poo in response as they try to save their people? HINT: everything sucks, look at how the great lakes states have their treaty banning transporting water to the south east, Georgia voting to annex part of Tennessee to get access to the river, and realize that is us fighting in one country, people in different countries with a few hundred years of hating each other will be worse.

You know, I read this thread because I expect the climate change thread to stay where it is. I come here to get depressed about politics. I go to the climate thread to get depressed about the climate.

Cabbit posted:

Increasingly I wonder if the number of people who both follow politics here and are teetotalers could fit into a compact car, with enough extra room in the back for a big dog.

I'm driving that car (if only because I'm still not drinking age)

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 27, 2014

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

That never stopped me

Ok, that and when I went to Italy and tried some wine, I couldn't stand the stuff. Tastes far too bitter for my wussy palette (didn't help that it was red wine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Illinois has popcorn as it's state snack. Some elementary kids got it chosen...dumb kids, kettle corn is where it is at.

I don't like kettle corn. I can eat it, but it's one of those foods that shouldn't be sweet and still is, alongside bread and butter pickles, and BBQ sauce in large quantities.

Fried Chicken posted:

I've had them, SAMs club carries them. They are fantastic

I don't care how good they are. Their website uses Comic Sans all over the place. :colbert:

• Locked thread