Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The most pressing issue they could fix for the pc release (and console) is giving the game actual sanity checks. Cheating is already happening quite a lot on ps3, and it's only going to get worse on the PC version. Soul memory makes easy way for much, much worse griefing than in DS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
As someone who has spent nearly 200 hours on the PS3 version now I can safely say that the game looks really good in places and really poor in some others. The PC version can only make things better. Realtime lighting IS in the game, it just isn't always active.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The lighting is still active BTW, just not everywhere
I wonder if modders can change that.

PS you all are a bunch of whiny babies. For every area that looks bad the game has 2 that look stunning. I'm super excited for the pc version.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah it looks different, but have you actually played the game? It's still good looking overall despite the flaws.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Well, there is still hope in the form of mods.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you want to invade, bloodbro. Bluebro is ok on ng+. Bellbro is very limited.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

One of the starting gifts is the "top tier" trade in item for the crows in this game. Everything they give out is RANDOM. Top tier rewards include slabs, twinkling, the channelers trident, Demons Great Hammer and the best whip in the game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Whips have amazing range, also the old whip which you get from the trade does 340 damage fully upgraded (+ scaling)

But yeah, Old Whip, Channelers Trident and Demons Great Hammer are all trade only items. You can get unlimited trade items though if you really want so you will get them sooner or later.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks to bonfire ascetics existing you should get coop somewhere always. Also the bellbro areas are going to be hellish on PC because of the short loading times!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Atlasesque posted:

I'm so loving ready to SL1 the first time through.

Almost impossible this time around. Also you can get invaded by much higher SL players because of soul memory, so have fun.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

THE MOON! posted:

Is it possible that the modding community will be able to make a mod that brings back the lighting from the preview? If so, I might get this when I upgrade my computer this summer.

I'd say no. The game still looks good though!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Preoder: They start in your inventory.
No Preorder: You can buy them from an NPC roughly 2/3rds in the game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Should be your steam name, because it shows your account name on both 360 and PS3.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Pr0phecy posted:

The 10 early access steam weapons, are they weapons that are only available now and are findable ingame, or are they items already ingame that you will get really early in the game?

In other words, are they exclusive content?

Answered earlier on the page! They are mostly poo poo and can be bought form a npc 2/3rds into the game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Noxville posted:

It's fine. It never goes below 50%, there's something you can use to limit the effect (and thing you can abuse to prevent it entirely).

This is somewhat wrong! If you are a sinner, you can actually go as low as 10% if your sin level is really high.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Knight starts with a broadsword and without a shield.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Heavy armor makes a huge difference this time around, IF upgraded.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ignimbrite posted:

Reading the other thread, I never really understood what ascetics did. They make the area the next level of difficulty up and respawn all the enemies?

Yup. Also this is permanent and carries over to all NG+ levels. What is done cannot be undone.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Asehujiko posted:

At how many times will Ascetic zones cap out? Is it still posible to use them after that to infinitely respawn then at max level or are items not obtained then gone forever?

Intensity 8 is the point where it stops getting harder. You can burn As many as you want!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Amazing streamers:

Terrible facecam, no Estus flask, keeps dying to first boss over and over
http://www.twitch.tv/topicalgamer

Hasnt found estus either, and headed straight for the hard area!
http://www.twitch.tv/draculafemmure

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Internet Kraken posted:

Why are there so many loving archers. I'm so loving sick of getting shot trying to do anything. Especially with this new idiotic estus system. No idea why they replaced the estus flasks from Dark Souls when they worked so well.

Estus flasks are still in.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Dr. Carwash posted:

I just beat the first boss with a loving dagger. Something tells me I should have gotten a better weapon before that fight, but I just didn't have the level to wield anything better (started as an explorer).

What kept you from leveling up? Also two handing calculates str x2 for being able to use weapons.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Internet Kraken posted:

I beat Dark Souls on SL 1. It has nothing to do with skill, its just a lovely system and I mad because they hosed up a really good system rather than fixing the minor problems with it.

Shut the gently caress up and adapt, Jesus Christ. You get more flasks over time, its fine!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Yerok posted:

My buddy just killed an invader with the help of a bluebro. 480,000 souls. What in the gently caress?

Edited save file, he was at max SL. Now your soul memory is hosed. Welcome to dks2!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

keyframe posted:

This game seems a LOT harder than DS1 at the beginning, I am getting my rear end kicked everywhere I go. And by everywhere I mean the lighthouse since that's the only place you seem to be able to go unless there is a way to pull that lever at that other place with the stone statue blocking your way.

I think I will roll a sorcerer and double down on INT because I am poo poo in close combat. :(

You went to the graveyard of dks2.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Ok, I just beat the last giant and am now at this door that says "produce the symbol of the king". Am I supposed to do something with this or is it for later?

Wrong door. Come back much much later.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Internet Kraken posted:

Well to be more positive, I just beat what I assume is the first boss you're supposed to fight. I loved the design of that thing. Pretty freaky when it tore off its own arm to try and beat me to death with it.

Only took one try but that's probably because I had a bunch of "practice" against the stone soldiers in that area you're not supppsed to go too first.

...seriously? :negative: I murdered that guy because he was giving me a Patches vibe and I wasn't in the mood to fall for an annoying trap.

You are the biggest idiot. Come back later and summon his ghost for the soapstone.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

neetengie posted:

He is a required boss, you just have the option of fighting him earlier if you're a bad enough dude.
Parry, then try the ballista's

Actually the boss fight is 100% optional.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

StashAugustine posted:

Is the Last Giant a dead end until endgame?

You got a key, that is it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

StashAugustine posted:

Does the key unlock anything other than the one door that leads to what I assume is the endgame?

It unlocks one more door. Try going past the elevator into the tunnel with the 2 spear guys and go right.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

tRIDAV posted:

What the gently caress is up with weapon durability. My broadsword broke twice inside 30 minutes inside Forest of Giants. Is this going to be a thing now where I constantly have to warp back to Majula to repair my weapon every time I even see a bonfire?

Protip, watch the red bar under your weapon. It resets when you rest at a bonfire.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

Hey so I safely descended into that Leonidas well in Majula and what the gently caress just happened? I'm exploring some weirdo rat crypt and then I get summoned and ganked? How? What? Why?

Welcome to ratbroing.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

nftyw posted:

My favorite enemy moment so far was with me as a white phantom, helping some dude explore some kinda sea/sewer area. There was this elevator shaft, I decided to go down for a bit since he seemed to be AFK, and I got two giant swamp things pissed at me, so I ran back to the elevator, and noted that the platform was going back up... so there went the escape route. However because the elevator platform was going up, there was a hole in the middle of the room... which one of the monsters fell into and died in because it was taking too big of a swing at me :toot:

Handling just one monster was a lot easier and then the guy came down and made sushi out of the thing's rear end. We even managed to take out the boss together :woop:

Sinners rise? Yeah that's a legit strategy for those jerks.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

KoldPT posted:

gently caress me, I almost beat the three sentinels on my first try and now I can't do nearly as well :shepicide:

Is there an easy way to make the run there or do you have to defeat like ten dudes in an enclosed space every time?

How do you use torches by the way?

Go downstairs after you enter the door, you can skip them all!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Logan 5 posted:

Ugh I'm really enjoying some parts of this game but having major difficulties with others. My number one issue right now though is where the hell do I go after killing the last giant? I think I opened all the doors the soldier's key can open, is my only option killing the pursuer at this point? Cause that guy wrecks my poo poo.

You can always go back to Majula and explore other options.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

bef posted:

So what are torches for?

Do they actually reveal anything or is it some dumb lighting gimmick?

Go to the gutter and come back.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

So wanting to confirm this, your invasion/summon name is now tied to your actual character name as apposed to your account name?

Can I call my character Bert The Soup Chef and invade people with dual Ladles :allears:

Too long. Pizzalawyer420 is about all you can get in.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You need to get very close to the bonfire to actually light a torch, closer than sitting at the bonfire.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The second thing there was lag mafia. Crazy lag. It happened on console too from time to time. Basically the game queues up all of the actions at once that someone did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ugh, farming the Mad Warrior is so soul crushing even with the better loading times!