Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Still absolutely hilarious whenever someone uses this word when talking about a Souls game and PvP :allears:

Tracula fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

poptart_fairy posted:

So in Drangelic castle, is there special dialogue for shooting at Nashranda when she's perched on the throne, or she's out of range?

Nothing happens at all.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Shindragon posted:

We all see what happens when you try to ride a dragon. You just get flung in the air! :v: (it rarely happens)

edit: Yeah I got beat'd but yeah you figured that wasn't a giant soul. So you do have three of them.

Enjoy finding the last two! hahaha.

double edit: What like that one NPC in Demon Souls? I forgot his name.

Yurt the Silent Chief?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Sivek posted:

I didn't meet Cromwell until after I finished the Pate/Creighton sidequest and used the Crush Eyed Orb and I didn't have any sin, so take that for what it's worth.

Cromwell doesn't get rid of sin. He just makes NPC's de-aggro if you pissed one off. They do an awful job explaining this.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Sivek posted:

How does it work then? I finally came across him while doing endgame stuff and asked him for a pardon and I get "You have not sinned" message.

As I said he just de-aggros any NPC you made mad. That's the 'sin' he's talking about, not the actual sin points you build up. You can't ever fully get rid of sin, only get it knocked down to 9 (one point below being a sinner) by getting killed by blue cops.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Shindragon posted:

Giants aren't that big of deal.

*Ignores the Giants that have pyromancy*

:colbert:

Yeah, giants can be pretty bullshit. Don't the ones with clubs just smash right through your guard as well? Hell, I've noticed a few enemies do that and I don't remember that being much the case in DeS or DaS1 where stuff could just go "lol gently caress your shield"

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Internet Kraken posted:

I really wish Aldia's Keep had been longer. I loved that level but just when it felt like it was hitting its stride I'm suddenly at the boss, who was completely separate from the level and also a huge chump.

I really felt the same. After being in some of the initial reveals for it I was hoping for something so much more expansive and interesting than what it turned out to be. Not that the area was bad but I just wish it had more.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Babyface Mingo posted:

Anyone else think DaS1/2 lore is just 'history has a strange way of repeating itself' with a little more depth in it?

There's always a king, a chosen undead and a throne :v: I dunno, I couldn't help but think of BS:I at some points during DS2.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I find it funny that areas that make people super angry in DS2 (Amana and Black Gulch mainly) are about 1000x easier if you just take your time and don't hold sprint.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Bobnumerotres posted:

The loving giant spiders are total bullshit. They're bullshit in NG and they're even worse in NG+ because they have this one attack that will take 2/3rds of your health and it's loving horseshit.

What is that attack anyways? They usually hit normally but sometimes they just do an unholy amount of damage for no reason.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Internet Kraken posted:

No, and surprise it sucks. Actually fighting with the Looking Knight is fun. Out of the last 20 minutes I got summoned twice. Here's what happended the rest of the time;

-Summoned repeatedly by people farming red phantoms
-Invaded by arbiter spirits because you can be invaded in cleared areas, inexplicably

So its another cool idea ruined by garbage implementation. No wonder I never saw any humans in my fight.

You really should have had to win with the knight to get his shield and armor or something. The Old Monk gave such a fantastic and unique item if you won as the boss.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
How's my Simon Belmont?

Face isn't perfect but I think the brigand armor works really well since it basically has the leather skirt like from CV 1 or 4.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Nahxela posted:

If only you could get 1000 daggers

I've been using lots of throwing knives and holy waters. I can't think of what else would fit as a sub weapon though for something like the axe or cross. Shame you can't pitch them like the Gyrm do in the Doors of Pharos :(

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Fereydun posted:

The Rebel Greatshield is basically the absolute most hilarious scrubbuster in PVP though so there's that.

Magic? Miracles? Hexes? Nah son, get the gently caress out of here. Now let me hit you with my Greatmoon Bluesword.

Speaking of which, that sword is kind of hilariously terrible. Benhart is the fuckin' man for using it and an even better Solaire parallel once you learn just how astonishingly bad it is in like every single way (including having the worst durability out of any weapon I've used, at all)

At least with Solaire it said that it was well-crafted but otherwise unremarkable. Benhart's outright says it a lifeless weapon so he's really putting some work into it to get results.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's almost like you can do a callback without literally suggesting X Thing exists in Y Universe.

As much as I like the Souls games and the lore there is it does get annoying this absolute need fans have to tie EVERYTHING ever together to something from a past game.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

QuantaStarFire posted:

Smelter Demon's attacks have good tracking, wide arcs/reach, and he tends to delay sometimes so you roll right into them. That makes him bullshit. OIK is easy to predict and avoid since he makes it fairly obvious when his fists are about to slam into the ground or he's about to breathe fire.

Chances are I might just be bad at videogames but his hitboxes feel really loving off as well. Not quite Plesioth hip-check levels of hosed but close.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, is there any lore behind black gultch? I remember reading some stuff in-game about how it's where all the waste ends up (in what is surely a throwback to world 5 in DeS), but the whole place has a heartbeat and who the gently caress put all those statues there?

I figured that The Rotten did since you see him assembling them as the fight starts and the things litter his chamber up quite a ways.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Shindragon posted:

Durgo's hat is sorta like a cowboy hat. Also has a monocle on it.

Good luck getting it though.

Pain

in

the

rear end.

You thought one time spawners was bad? How about on the King's Door that leads to the ThroneWatcher/Defender and that red phantom archer is the one who drops it. Oh a low rate too.

Oh christ those fuckers are seriously more menacing than nearly any boss if you don't cheese 'em :gonk:. I so don't want to farm them for a sweet hat.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I don't know what's funnier. People getting mad about videogames or Barons getting mad about people getting mad about videogames.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Foxhound posted:

Someone put together an album with all (or most/a lot) of NPC faces in the game. Neat stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/1vznV

Saulden looks :downs: and :smith: as hell.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Annath posted:

So, I just got an Old Whip, and was all set to go Belmont-Mode, but theres a problem!

Even with the Bracing Knuckle Ring, the thing just shits through durability!! I got maybe 30 hits with it before getting a warning!!

Can a regular whip be made awesome?

The regular whip is fine and it's good to supplement it with throwing weapons as well. Granted it's still not as good as just running through and smashing everything into a paste with a mace but I've done quite well with just a regular upgraded whip.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Wait, killing the giant king in a memory somehow translates into the player stopping the giants in the past? That seems unlikely.

Flow of time wibbly wobbly distorted blah blah.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Azzents posted:

FROM really missed a trick by not making unnarmed/cestus backstabs and frontstabs do suplexes and tombstones. I have become disenchanted by my punchy guy now. :colbert:

Whips also just have a regular stab for a backstab. It's a shame that it's not a choke or anything of the like.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Studio posted:

Poise bar what?

Poison* It's a mod but it's the gutter so it's just a texture replacement for the little icon with an actual word.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

:sigh: You think people would've learned by now.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
It's sad that Kalameet was such a great fight and then they completely threw that out the window with the drakes/dragons in Dark Souls 2.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Schwack posted:

Oh, that was the only reason I was even bothering.

If it's really that pointless, then gently caress this stupid fight. So far it's one of the clearest illustrations that dev teams and philosophy switched.

There's no achievement or unique soul for beating the Ancient Dragon even. He's the only boss in any Souls game I've not and probably will never beat.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

turtlecrunch posted:

And noticed this when I used Cast Light, the superior lighting solution, in the Gutter :stonk:

Neat as that idea is for the Gutter the textures on those pillars are awful down there.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Babyface Mingo posted:

Yeah, it's almost as if Dark Souls is a 100% linear game and only FOOLS would bother ever looking around or exploring areas, huh.. :downs:

Anyhow, is it ever brought up what had been petrifying stuff around Drangleic? Straid/Rosabeth/Lion dudes.

Isn't it just the enemies in the areas? You find basilisks around by two of them and I think the mummies by Straid cause petrification as well.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

TangentEnigma posted:

Glad I'm not the only one.

Also, I just finished the loving game accidentally I think. The credits are rolling. Until the cinematic started played I thought I had killed two pretty uninspired and extremely easy optional bosses in an out of the way basement that wasn't even very well decorated. Didn't die a single time and for reference I've ranged from 5 - 15 deaths on most other bosses. No way to back out at that point either, so all the other stuff I hadn't explored is no longer available I guess.

edit: nevermind I'm back at the fire is this ng+ or what god help

No, you have to manually enter NG+ from the Majula fire. You can go through and clean up and do anything you want beforehand.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Lord Lambeth posted:

Hey, I have a weird bug. None of the effects seem to work in my game. I can't see bloodstains, messages, torches etc. anyone have this problem before and know a fix that isn't reinstalling the game?

Verify the integrity of the cache?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Artificer posted:

Turns out that the Black Dragon Sword and the Black Dragon Greatsword doesn't have any scaling. At all. Does anyone use this weapon? Is it any good?

I think it can be okay if you make it raw since you literally aren't losing out on anything by doing so :shrug:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
We need more bosses like Flamelurker and Old King Allant. Those were memorable as hell fights.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Dr. Carwash posted:

Overall, Dark Souls 2 boss fights are objectively worse than 1 though. I mean, look no further than Ornstein and Smough vs The Throne Defenders. Every single boss fight in Dark Souls 2 was a massive disappointment (exceptions being Smelter and to a lesser extent, Pursuer).

Literally, objectively, and unironically every boss fight in every souls game is terrible because I said so here are my reasons::smug:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Time travel in a game where 'the flow of time is distorted'? Dumb bullshit, 0/10.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, it's not that you go back in time, it's that it's not your character's first time in Drangleic. The intro implies it as well. Except I guess the dragon memory, but I thought it was more that your guy forgot, because they're going hollow.

Huh, that makes a surprising amount of sense and I never put that together somehow.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Dreggon posted:

I don't care about winning, I just want the other guy to not have fun.

Goons_in_every_game.txt

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Manatee Cannon posted:

That kinda falls apart in that you enter Drangleic at the beginning of the game, and if you'd gone hollow at any point you'd be like one of those mindless soldiers you see in the Forest. There's a difference between being hollow and undead, and if you were undead for as long as it took between the giant's memories and when the rest of the game takes place where were you getting the souls to stay sane? It might not actually be the giants/dragon's memories but it makes zero sense for them to actually be yours.

Ludonarrative dissonance or whatever pretentious term GARMZ JURNALIZTS have come up with. I mean, why didn't you just use a Phoenix Down on Aeris when she did in FF7?!?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Cardboard Box posted:

My biggest problem is that it feels too much like the last two Souls games while even at its best never really achieving the heights those games did for me (granted, it doesn't hit the lows, either). It's improved in a lot of ways, worse in others. It feels more like a lateral shift than an evolution.

I enjoy Dark Souls II quite a bit but this seems to sum it up for me. I found it very even in terms of quality for the most part, even annoying as Shrine of Anime could be it wasn't really that bad. There's nothing truly memorable for me like Ash Lake, the Maiden Astraea/Garl Vinland fight, etc. But then again there's no Lost Izalith, 5-2, etc either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Martman posted:

My biggest disappointment was the covenants. The Ratbros and Bellbros are cool, but ultimately they didn't change the fact that covenants are too pointless and tedious. They could totally tie in real content or story to the covenant ranks, but it's like they're stuck in a place where they don't fully trust the system so the whole thing just seems tacked on and insignificant.

What, there's not enough story with the DARKY DARK OF DARKNESS IN THE DARK DARK covenant for you? Also dark.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also so that people summon you in because you look awesome rather than being dude-with-spear-123.

It's true. My Simon Belmont character gets quite a few more summons than I'd expect.