Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lets not mince words here, silent protagonist or not, Darkdiver Grahl is loving atrociously written. He is a parody of a character.

The effect would be different if, say, your character kept asking about other stuff and he ignored your question and kept talking about the Dark instead.

This isn't to say I want dialog options or voiced PCs in a Souls game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

So what are some good bonfires to use Bonfire Ascetics on? I've already done one for Skeleton Lords and Scorpioness since I'm a hexer and wanted the rings.

First one in the Black Gulch lets you get an extra Giant Soul for Vendrick (assuming you aren't going to kill a certain optional boss).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's sad how easy that section is as a caster.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Azzents posted:

Fixed that for you.

I got extremely bored of my wizard after I got past the Lost Bastille. I don't know how you guys can tolerate it.

Depends a bit on the area, and especially early on as a sorc most of your attacks hit for poo poo.

I have more fun as melee though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The fastest runs that don't use any glitches seem to be just over an hour (getting 1M souls is apparently quicker than doing the 4 bosses).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ekster posted:

The All Bosses runs are more interesting to be honest.

Yeah, speed runs that do the same things that I do but much faster and better are always the most interesting.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nahxela posted:

I don't think all bosses is that much greater, since it's largely just a GRS montage.

It's not the boss fights I like in an all boss run, it's seeing how much they get through the actual levels. I can sometimes learn things I'd actually use from that kind of run, rather than finding out where a specific wall-glitch works.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Duping's been around for a while, yeah. Not a huge thing given there's no real economy in the game.

Nahxela posted:

There are a couple of neat jumps, like ember jump, the giant tree jump, aerie jump, etc, but that's a small fraction of the entire run. The rest of it is just running past a lot of things and minimizing encounters, which isn't particularly interesting or revolutionary to me.
I'm still more interested in that than running around outside the level, but it's a personal preference thing and clearly a lot of people like that kind of speed run.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Colapops posted:

I don't mean to sound like a "lol ur a carebear" person but since invasions *are* a large part of the game and encouraged by the developers (badly in the current implementation) it seems silly to try and avoid them while maintaining the ease-of-victory that co-op brings.
Why is it silly to avoid a part of the game I don't particularly like?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cryohazard posted:

Join the Way of Blue, it's there specifically for you to help you deal with invaders more easily. You don't need to be in any other covenant to play through the game, it's always possible to switch to another and then back.
The Way of the Blue is pretty poorly set up for a NG run though, and it's tied up with the way they mucked up a bunch of the PvP systems in general. I was in Way of the Blue for most of my first NG run through, and it didn't seem to do a thing. Ended up switching to the Dark covenant because there was an actual benefit there.

The other PvP covenants work a lot better, and while I hate the Red invasions I like the way Ratbros and Bellbros work.

quote:

What I'm getting at here is don't be a passive aggressive dickweed about PvP, there are plenty of ways to circumvent/cope with it.
I didn't think I was?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

What weirds me out about this in Dark Souls 2 is that it literally took me 70 hours of online play to ever get invaded, in Heide's on a fresh character by someone who probably just used one of the early cracked red orb drops out of curiosity. Unless I'm a weird outlier, they've pretty much completely neutered dickwraithing. Is it just a matter of principle or do you actually regularly get invaded and I'm missing out for some reason?

EDIT: If you mean rats I suppose that makes more sense, but I have to wonder how many hits you'd actually get as a rat servant if people could just opt out of getting ratted with no consequence.

Happens a bit more in NG+ from what I've seen.

Losing to Ratbros is basically consequence free anyway.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

My second time getting invaded on my most recent character ever was a red who caught me in the middle of fiddling with weapon setups in the middle of Brightstone Cove Tseldora and he got to me fast enough that I never had time to switch back to my "real" weapon and was stuck doing about 50 damage a swing to the guy. Was also hollow at the time.

I really really despise that the only way to be truly safe in this game anymore is to either go to Majula or exit the game. If they wanted to make hollowed invasions possible, they should've added a pause button while they were at it.

Aren't you safe while resting at bonfires as well?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

No. Like in DS1, if you're invaded at a bonfire, you immediately leave the menu as the bonfire goes out. It'll force you out of it if you're getting summoned to the belfries as well.

Ah.

I guess given you can just warp to Majula anyway it's not a big deal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The problem with Way of the Blue is that it doesn't actually do anything most of the time in NG, to the extent you could go through all of NG and never see a benefit from it beyond a crappy ring you replace a few areas in. It's not much of a safety net if you only get invaded once and that time a Fun Cop didn't spawn. It doesn't need to be the absolute best, but it should feel like it's actually doing something

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Souls games have great lore and terrible storytelling.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Using the torch to light up the oil in the side-rooms near the Sinner is pretty useful too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There's also the 3 braziers in the Dark Darkness of the Dark.

I don't know how many of them are really "puzzles" :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

McDuff is the kind of thing you could find by accident or by just having the compulsion to light every torch available though; getting access to the bonfire by blowing up the wall is more of a puzzle really.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Side Effects posted:

Man, the Royal Rat Authority is a huge pain in my rear end. I can never kill the smaller rats quick enough so I usually end up getting stun locked, toxic, and then head butted by Rat-Sif. Any advice for a sword and board guy trying to beat this boss?

I had a completely different build, but the most useful thing I was told was to spend less time locked on and just try and run around and under the back legs more.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

You get more than enough lockstones to open every door besides the ones in the rat areas without engaging in that covenant.

Which you don't know the first time through.

E: Nor do you know where all of them are, making the Rat stuff still rewarding. Plus the grace period after an invasion is such that it's not hard to get between the bonfires even if you die.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 5, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Most of those hold you in place and hit randomly though.

Yeah, the AoE sorceries are incredibly finicky a lot of the time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

How? He's an easy boss but you shouldn't be able to oneshot him. I guess maybe sunlight spear could do it.
I'm assuming "one shot" in the sense of it taking one attempt.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ninjaiguana posted:

Prowling Magus is clearly a mob that wandered into the boss list by mistake.
Yeah, Prowling Magus is a perfectly acceptable fight, it's just not really worth calling a boss.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Is this even possible? I don't think it is.
Smelter Demon was one of the only bosses I killed on my first attempt going in blind, so I can see it happening.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

unrelated: what does it mean

It's like a Dark Souls koan.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

pmchem posted:

I agree but I was hoping they'd time a general patch for dlc release.

They did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Andrast posted:

I haven't played this in a while. What's this about a chest in Majula?

There's a chest under the mansion in Majula. Each week leading up to the DLC it contained some items; generally just materials or consumables, except for this week when it had a unique sword.