Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DelphiAegis posted:

You can keep the ring on throughout the entirety of The Bastille. Sadly for Belfry Sol, you must be in the belfry itself (And thus, a target for invasions there) in order for the ring to activate and yank you in. Best bet is to keep doing a circle of the area for the Mad Warrior red phantom for the awesome set and get hits as you can, or go to Belfry Luna. I spent a lot of time in NG extincting almost every enemy in the bastille and sinner's rise waiting for bellbro hits.

Not true. Sitting in IK will summon you to Sol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Umberger posted:

Nope! You can kill a rare spawn black phantom NPC in Belfry Sol which counts towards leveling the covenant. The downside is it still requires 30 kills.

Along these same lines, the falconers in things betwixt NG+ will drop sunlight medals to level up the sun cov.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

poptart_fairy posted:

You can use ascetics on the bosses in this area to get those, right?

Nope.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Asehujiko posted:

If I'm at ~1.2m SM, where should I go for sunbroing? By killing OIK I apparently hit a threshhold that made IK not result in a single hit any more.

Smelter or Drangleic castle first bonfire I'd say.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cicadalek posted:

As a caster I'm finding Vendrick to be the hardest boss in the game. Pretty much all of his attacks either one-shot me, or stagger me so the next one can finish me. But the worst part is easily having to run all the loving way from the bonfire to him, every single time.

Doesn't help that I accidentally traded one of the memory souls away for a hex or something.

The Giant Lord Soul =/= Soul of a Giant. You can't trade away any of the ones that lower his defense.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RBA Starblade posted:

Hmm, can't get past the title screen over here. Says the service is unavailable. East coast US for what it's worth.

Same, even though their website says the pc servers are up :iiam:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

THE PWNER posted:

Wow there's a bunch of mechanics I didn't know about. I get the feeling a lot of this poo poo was already in DS1, a game I played for 300 hours, and I never noticed.

I'm so embarrassing.

The sweet spot thing has actually been in since Demon's. Same with counters, IIRC.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Chipp Zanuff posted:

So would you recommend halberds over Spears?

They generally do more damage with greater variety in their moveset.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the servers? It's not the VAC ban.

The login servers are apparently down right now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

Wow, I completely failed to explore down that ladder in the servant's quarters, apparently. New strength weapon, woo!

New question, is there anything in particular that should be my first target for this fragrant branch of yore I have? Will I get enough of them for all the targets?

You will, but I'd use the first one on the lady blocking the lever, over by where Benhart is. It opens a path to a whole new set of areas.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Is the offline obelisk keeping track of the number of times you die? Because there's no way I've died 130 times. It's more like 30.

It is.

Grondoth posted:

Whoa, is that the dingy set in that katana image? It looks really cool!

It is.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RBA Starblade posted:

What the hell? Does it count phantoming and invasions too maybe? That number seems insanely high.

That'd be a good bet, although I don't know for sure.

dis astranagant posted:

The hell do I deal with this ridiculous room in Drangleic Castle with like 12 dudes with huge spears and that stupid soul door gimmick?

Take it slow so you don't wake up all the spearmen at once. Its a crazy rear end room though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

PirateBob posted:

So if I'm a str/vig/end build with a +10 mace, infusing won't help me? How do I increase my damage output further? Going over 40 str didn't seem to do much.

A +10 weapon with 40+ in the stat it scales with is essentially your damage cap. You can throw a resin on it but that's about it. I'd suggest trying out a bigger, badder weapon.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ravenfood posted:

Is there any reason not to ascetic the Majula bonfire?

The fight with Licia gets harder.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

So I have a really dumb question. How do I aim independently with a bow? (m+kb) There's a salamander I want to poison like 30 feet up a ramp, but I need to get close into lock on range to shoot at it.

Two hand the bow and hit whatever your "guard" button is.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

dis astranagant posted:

Do the doors in that room stay open when I use the bonfire? I've been sniping them with lightning spears but I'm out of shots with only half the doors open.

They do.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cardiovorax posted:

The way they cost you a limited supply item for an effect that might actually be harmful to you, with no way of knowing beforehand? Because that's what I dislike about them.

They're not really in limited supply though. They're fun in that way, IMO.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ClaytonClaw posted:

How does pvp work in this game? I'm 30 hours in and except for certain covenant zones I've never been invaded.

You generally won't be in new game, since the items that people use to invade are consumable and in semi-limited supply until new game+ (also there is nothing limiting the invasion pool, like in the previous games). Once you get in NG+ invasions become more common. In addition to the pvp covenant areas you can look for red or dragon signs on the ground that will summon people for a duel, or check out the arenas for pvp matchmaking.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm at a soul level of 4 million and getting no summons whatsoever. Soul memory system is dumb as gently caress. "Want to be a completionist? Sure! You'll be exiled from pvp"

One of my guys is around 6 mil and I can get constant invasions using stones, and get constantly invaded by blues. Heide's seems to be the go to spot for high sm pvp.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Tell me I can get a giant mirror to go with the mirror knight set?

I've been stuck on a loading screen forever after being summoned quite a few times today.

You can.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

KarmaticStylee posted:

Should you play the original Dark Souls before playing this?

Yeah, not for any continuity reason, just because its really good.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

turtlecrunch posted:

This unnecessarily negative. You can play about 95% of the game together and use the name-engraved ring to quickly see each other's summon signs (and exclude others from summoning you easily- but if they do, you just crystal out). Be aware that in the aerie you need to use your small soapstone.

source: I just finished a co-op run with a friend.

Yeah the name engraved ring owns and makes co-op with friends the easiest its ever been.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Internet Kraken posted:

Do you get sin for invading people as part of the bellcop covenant? Its a nice way to farm chunks but this character is supposed to be "nice" and as such I don't wanna piss off the blue boys.

Nope.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Really dig how well the judgement set meshes with Lucatiel's

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Zaphod42 posted:

Not until NG+

Its just an ascetic away.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm in NG+, but Wellager aint coughing up those miracles i need for the achievement. I'm at bonfire intensity 3 for this area, shouldn't this work?

I know you need to be in NG++ but bonfire intensity 3 is pretty much the same thing, right? or do you have to be in journey 3.

Gotta be in actual NG++

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hamsalad posted:

Ok, so in a few recent player invasions other players (wielding a sword and shield) and myself (same sword and shield) have essentially been one-hitting me when my shield is up. They get real close, do some sort of parry or something and the next second I am on my knees being decapitated in one hit. What am I doing wrong? or what is the keys to do this attack?

Im using a 360 controller.

Theyre guard breaking you which sets you up for a riposte. Don't keep your shield up so much. Forward + light attack is how you do it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Havel's is actually in an even more obscure location in the gutter. People are definitely seeking it out because they're lame.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jose posted:

Is it because of the order I've done things? I've done a bit of co-op but not a huge amount and I doubt I've died more than usual which makes it a bit poo poo if I'm locked out. Soul memory for co-op is so dumb. Maybe I should get the name engraved ring

The name engraved ring only helps to match up with specific players. It'll hurt your chances more than help.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Crisis posted:

One of my buddies picked up this game recently - I've had it for a while but I haven't been able to play it much because of exams. The two of us co-op'd the entirety of Dark Souls 1, which was fun, but toward the end it became a bit of a joke.

Is it possible to do something similar in this game? Are there any fun gimmick builds we could try that might make things more challenging? My first thought was the champion covenant, but it bans summoning. A game mod that lets us change the NG+ setting would work too but I'd rather not get VAC banned.

Its a lot easier to coop with a bud this time around. Both of you get the name engraved ring from the cat vendor at the start, pick the same god when you put it on, and you'll only see each others signs. Works wonders.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Office Thug posted:

The issues with melee in this game is that 1) your poise is next-to worthless, 2) 50% of the enemies basically have infinite poise and 3) ranged anything does a whole lot more damage than melee with the same amount of min-maxing, and comes without having to worry about 1) and 2) all the time.

And you also get into situations like the Shrine of Animu where if you aren't going Havel you're going to have a ridiculously hard time as melee, as opposed to just standard hard time. Heck, the Shrine of Animu isn't even the worst thing if you're melee-focused.

The Giant lord fight is basically all the "If you are melee, gently caress you, go respec"-ness of this game distilled into a tiny 5 minute segment (or 1 minute if you're ranged, natch). Everything that boss does is a 1-hit kill unless you're in full Havel's, he cannot be blocked at all (even with Havel's Sheild+5), and the whole area you fight him in is constantly being shot up by fireballs with an AoE that covers half the arena.

But you see, if you stand on this ledge next to him, the boss will only do a frontal slam attack, which you can avoid by rolling sideways, and you don't have to worry about the fireballs :shepface:

IMO its this kind of exaggeration that's making this thread unbearable to read.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Man, using the red sign soapstone is a fool's errand. All white phantom ganksquads. Or weird situations where some dingus has summoned like 3 red phantoms and for some reason the other red phantoms are killing eachother instead of the guy.

The latter situation is like a fight club thing. The host continually summons reds that duel each other. The winner stays to fight more. Usually the host will keep a warmth spell going to heal up the contenders after fights. Its kinda neat and reminds me a lot of how "organized" pvp was back in demon's.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Dear gang: which is the best of the greathammers? I have pretty much all of them, I just dunno which turns out best in the end.

Its the gyrm great hammer, because its an anvil chained to a stick you see.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Genocyber posted:

For PVP, potentially. Some r1 l1 alternating combos allow you to stunlock someone until they die or you run out of stamina.

I've definitely had a lot of success using the straight sword/thrusting sword alternating attacks. It doesn't seem to stunlock infinitely, but it often takes a good 4 hits before they can roll out. A really versatile moveset too although a bit lacking in damage. Sometimes you gotta chip down the heavy armor wearers, but its fine since the attacks come out so drat fast.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Relin posted:

Wow that's terrible, burning an effigy doesn't stop belfry invasions. Guess I gotta turn off my internet since steam in offline mode apparently only turns off the community!

I think it does, but I'm guessing you're burning the wrong bonfire.

:lol:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

PublicOpinion posted:

If you do enough tricky jumping, apparently everything pre-Drangleic Castle is optional.

Only in the 1.00 version

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Whoa that is some tricky jumping.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RBA Starblade posted:

No, the other one. The first is at Felkin, second is past the tree you knock down. Because you knock the tree down, it doesn't really matter except to save like 30 seconds.

Anyway for crossbow chat, how good is the skeleton crossbow? How does the shield mechanic work? Does it just block stuff while the firing animation plays? Is it actually useful as a shield in any way or is it just the next damage step up until the Avelyn (or the heavy crossbow. It's not weaker than that right)? My melee deprived has enough attenuation for 1 spell (two with a ring on), but at 50 casting speed the windup is hilariously long, and I suspect at 6 int/6 faith no matter what the pyromancies will do poo poo damage, so I've been using a light crossbow for range until now.

When you're aiming its as if you're holding a shield up, not just as you fire. Its not really good as either a crossbow or a shield though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I don't see the problem here. Dude should stop turtlin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

dis astranagant posted:

Oh yes you can. Lightning spear is an infinite buy pretty early and shreds everything in pve. Eventually you'll end up with your first 5 slots being homeward, sunlight spear and 3x GLS and will rarely need more attack spells, but you can easily slot some LS or Emit Force if you need to.

Who the hell wastes a slot on homeward :confused: