Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lol good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Opposing Farce posted:

Actually I've been wondering about that. I'm tempted to switch it off to maximize the amount of multiplayer I get to do, but I'm worried I'll be inviting even more lag than I'm already seeing. Then again since I'm already seeing the lag it probably can't get much worse, right?

Yeah, it absolutely can get worse. Don't turn it on.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That doesn't seem to be what he's saying at all. If you want to do a gimmick invasion build - by definition probably underpowered - you're still forced to compete in the Arena versus people with carefully twinked out optimal equipment, because if you don't, you can't get any cracked eye orbs and you can't invade. That's the problem. If you could get cracked eye orbs without having to do that, you could do your underpowered gimmick invasions all day and probably lose a lot, but have fun while doing it. Bottlenecking invasions behind this super-tryhard arena thing prevents that from happening.

I don't understand why this convo isn't taking into consideration buying orbs in ng+?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The problem with that is the "NG+" part. I feel like From wanted PvP at NG, but it doesn't end up working out that way.

Seems pretty obvious they wanted NG pvp confined to the pvp areas, for the most part.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The first covenant you encounter (aside from Champions) being the Way of Blue, and then the Sentinels, kind of contradicts that. They clearly felt it was important to give players a defense against being invaded early on - but why would they do that, if they intended PvP to only happen in Grave of Saints/Doors of Pharros/the Belfries? Invasions are supposed to be kind of a thing in Dark Souls, but they're also crippled at NG so it doesn't really end up working out.

The covenant isn't well thought out? Why would they only allow orbs to be bought in ng+ if they wanted people to invade in ng?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That's the point! The red/blue covenants aren't well thought out. The fact that they didn't make orbs more accessible in NG is part of the problem. They put these invasion-counterinvasion-centric covenants near the beginning of the game, and sell you on the idea that invading or defending others from invasions is the cool way to PvP while doing PvE stuff, but they didn't put enough thought into it or didn't test it enough or whatever, because what they built doesn't work out.

Also, consider why the arena exists at all: If From intended your primary source of cracked eye orbs to be just buying them, why go to the trouble of implementing the arena? That's a huge investment for something they didn't intend people to use.

Maybe I'm confusing your point with the other guy's point, but I'm just saying that invasions aren't gated by the arena. Its still fun, and saves you the trouble of having to buy orbs, but its not necessary.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Internet Kraken posted:

Outside of NG+ they are.

Well obviously, but why are you only considering NG? You think you can't do a gimmick build in NG+ or what?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I don't think its ever been shown to effect dodging or parrying. Having played both this and the console version quite a bit, I certainly can't tell a difference.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

On that topic, what exactly does "lost sight of world master" mean? Several times now I've been summoned as a sunbro only for that message to immediately pop up and I get sent back. Did they poke my sign and then just run as fast as they could away from the boss door or what?

It means they walked through a boss door that had no boss on the other side.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

sushibandit posted:

Should add a sub-bullet under "Don't waste your Pharros Lockstones" newbie tip in the OP:

"buy the lockstone from the old woman and immediately use it under the ballista room in FoFG"

A majority of the guys I've talked into playing the game don't buy it or use it there, and the Chloranthy ring you get is arguably one of the most useful early-game rings you can possibly have until you reach the shaded woods and get the +1 version, but that doesn't happen for a long time for most people.

Alternatively save the 4k souls for leveling up or upgrading and use the free pharros stone you get from the manor.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Just fought a dude named "Wall" who was wearing full havels and fighting with what seemed like a fully upgraded havel shield. poo poo was actually hurting pretty good.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The drakekeeper sword is the best. Highest damage tied with the varangian, but with double the durability and more range than the broadsword. Still, none of them will do that much more damage than a longsword.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jose posted:

When in the game are you supposed to find the fire longsword and if its not after getting the kings ring, how do you access that area?

Umm the first area of the game? Tunnel in the bottom area of the forest of fallen giants.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lalus posted:

Does reporting people on steam ever do anything? I just spent another 10 mins beating on some Russian guy who did the insta-healing thing every time he should be dead. Probably the 5th today and the crazy bastards are playing on years old steam accounts with plenty of games attached to them. Are they stupid or does cheating online not carry some kind of ban?

Right now the game's servers aren't VAC protected so no.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The petrified something I'd reckon.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sanctum posted:

A few months earlier everything was intentionally obfuscated, but surely now the picture must be clear. Is From really going to do the unspeakable? Is From actually splitting the multiplayer playerbase with some 'DLC'-or-what-loving-ever content?

I'll still be playing this game even in the case of a total GFWL-style-pocalypse, but I expected a lot from DS2 multiplayer and they actually delivered on that so far. I reserve the right to be a bitter person if they suddenly gently caress it all up now.

Erm... no?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Deaderinred posted:

im hearing stuff about getting invaded after lighting stuff in sotfs but i havent seen anything yet? i think i lit everything i could find in no man wharf but i got nothing.

Far as I can tell its only for one area and it just triggers NPC invasions. You'll know because its a really big light source and you get an on-screen message.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So Straid is selling every piece of the Forlorn set except the torso. What did I miss?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
In SotFS, do the "Master of X" achievements still not count the ones from the DLCs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Who's Europa?