Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

and I'm caught up on boss videos for the moment. I've got enough misc bits to do another lil bits but I think I'll wait until at least the halfway point. Got No-Man's Wharf to go.

I only went a little ways in so far, but I'm getting some serious Depths/Blighttown vibes from the atmosphere already.

I'm very excited to see your post for when you beat No-Man's Wharf and get to the zone after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

I got the dagger but the AR is lower than the broken sword. Where’s the Morningstar?

It's better because it attacks way faster than the broken sword. Morning star is hidden on a cliff near the betwixt entrance that you need to jump off onto.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bogart posted:

You’ll probably want a solid hundred.

99 is a breakpoint and 100 isn't, aim for 99 if you want 100.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

100 is a breakpoint for backstep iframes.

I always forget that you can backstep in souls games.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

Wait, what the heck is a backstep?

Just press circle.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Am I correct that the Fire Longsword is a noob trap weapon?

I used it right up until the DLC the last time I played. It's good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

How do you access hidden walls? Isn’t there one near the first Pharos lockstone door under the ballista room? I can’t get anything to open.

There's a hidden door in that room but you can only open it if you actually stick your dick a lockstone in the hole. There's also a locked door in there but the way to open it is stupid as hell and happens no where else in the game and I'm still mad as hell about it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Cause Shulva is great and large parts of DS2 just aren't very fun

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

The one you got via the Pursuer's arena is the better way to access a useful blacksmith hidden behind a wall that has to be broken by an exploding barrel, and also the only way to pick up an item to give to that blacksmith. You can also grab several large titanite shards without much issue. The one from NMW will allow you to get an Estus shard if you're thorough in exploring.

Poison scrotes will need a Fragrant Branch, so don't bother if you don't have any yet.

Not once have I ever gotten the barrel to work, I always wait until I just have the loving key.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Lucatiels set is minus the head is fashion souls as gently caress and I love to wear it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

So I found a spot in Harvest Valley where a knight was in a weird out of the way spot, guarding an obvious walkway that seemed to lead to nothing. I went up with a torch and it gave me a prompt to light it on fire, so I did. The gears and noise stopped, but did it do anything else? Or is this just a neat easter egg?

You broke the windmill that was pumping poison throughout the tower. There's going to be less spots with poison now.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

oh sweet! I have to go back through after I clear out Iron Keep then.

If you've already beaten it there's not much point. The only things it affects I can think of off the top of my head are the poison pool against the boss is lower so she can't heal, and there's a lockstone that spits out healing water now instead of poison.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Iron Keep is probably the nadir of DS2.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Fuuuuck the start of the Shaded Woods. gently caress making me open the door and do the same ambush encounter every time.

There's a bonfire immediately after the ambush.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

Is it possible to get another bandit axe in ng outside of having someone drop one? I wanna powerstance them but the chest doesnt respawn with an ascetic

Rare drop from the spider's in brightstone cove.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
That one jump in Hunstman's copse is the worst thing in any of the souls games including but not limited to bed of chaos.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Goddamnit this drake in Heides. gently caress that thing. Finally was like lol I’m gonna poison it from afar. It flies up, lobs a firebomb at me. One shot. Cool. All that after meticulously picking through the old knight/Heide knight gauntlet. I didn’t even go back to get me Souls.

Also wtf is this item in Huntsmans Copse I need to precision jump to? The one right outside the second bonfire.

Lockstone and Token of Fidelity, nothing you need.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bogart posted:

Messages peaked with “don’t give up, Skeleton!”

Actually, they peaked with "listen close, skeleton"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Well, that and the fact that you shouldn't chomp special souls in any souls game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

My favorite Dark Souls boss is the final one from Ivory King. The fight is a chaotic, glorious mess between the boss and his buddies on one side...against you and your own buddies on the other.

There's some fights where it's an army vs. you, but Ivory King is the only one where it's an army vs. YOUR army.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Ringed City is awesome wtf

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bogart posted:

All of 3’s DLC bosses have dumb gently caress you health bars except the dragon and if that’s where their design philosophy is going, gently caress that.

It's not "going" anywhere, they're not making more soulsborne games.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

DS2 is actually fun to replay

It helps that you can skip the lovely chunk of the game if you know what you're doing.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
DS2 definitely blows after drangleic. People aren't wrong when they say the dlc is the best souls has ever been though.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is there an idol for each Smelter wedge or will I have leftovers?

There is exactly one wedge for each idol, but you need to defeat the last boss of the Iron King DLC before you get the last wedge.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Why are you guys spoilering your steam names. What on earth do you think that will accomplish.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

JadaX posted:

ffs so either I or the creeps killed Rosabeth, and now I can't find her tombstone to ress her as a ghost. Is there anything I can do to get her back?

Also, are there more npcs I can recruit to Majula for the Gathering of Exiles achievement?

Than what, just Rosabeth? Yes, yes, there are.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have three bosses left I want to do: Alonne, Darklurker, and whatever is in Doors of Pharros cause it’s part of the main game. Only bosses I won’t do are the DLC co-ops.

Do these guys in the opposite order from what you've listed if you wanna go from worst to best.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is it a correct assumption that in NG+ you can just bum rush the Shrine of Winter since you already have 1 million Soul Memory?

No, because you need 2 million souls in NG+. 3 in ++, etc.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
When I got the platinum, I just ground The Rotten on the higher cycles.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Also Ornifex is a bird. She can fly there.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bogart posted:

Right down the road...

The sky road.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Every boss between the sinner and the dlc sucks rear end

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

GutBomb posted:

I have been experimenting with parrying since I have never really done it in any souls game (I did a lot in bloodborne and sekiro) and I’m experiencing something weird that I can’t find online. Every time I parry I lose 3-5 durability on whatever I’m parrying with, whether I get the parry or miss. I tried doing it with a shield, while 2 handing my Zweihander, and while 2 handing an Uchigatana. I just couldn’t get the timing right doing it bare-handed.

It’s really discouraging me from trying to parry. Just while practicing against the dudes in the tutorial area my poo poo was getting broken.

DS2 parrying is terrible, don't bother.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

dantheman650 posted:

I’m starting to see why people don’t like this as much as DS1. The mid-game areas feel really disjointed and the geography is strange. I find myself constantly wondering where exactly I am and even where I’m going. I just beat my second “big” boss and getting a big empty room with a primal bonfire seems so strange. I’m still enjoying it but I definitely feel a little directionless, even if there are a ton of ways to go.

Look forward to the area where they just forgot to make a texture for it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

dantheman650 posted:

Was there any point to killing the Executioner’s Chariot? All I got was some NPC who tells me to do away and a dead end.

If you do some PVP you can join his covenant, the PVP covenant.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

dantheman650 posted:

Dumb boss and no reward for us lonely single players.

Now I’m in Harvest Valley and this place sucks. It’s like a worse Hazy Maze Cave.

You're getting to the doldrums of DS2. There's isn't going to be a really good zone or boss for another dozen zones or so.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

dantheman650 posted:

That’s...not exciting to hear.

One random observation: bonfires in this game are crazily close together. A few times I’ve unlocked a shortcut or switchback only to find a bonfire a few steps away.

Why is the Lost Sinner soul big and orange but the Duke of Freja or whatever looks like a normal boss soul? Aren’t they both one of the 4 great souls?

I usually do freja after the path you're on, so you've only got 8 or zones to go then.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Dung pies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

also, Brume Tower is cool as gently caress. Might be my favorite area of the game so far.

All the DLC areas are way, way better than the regular game.