Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've only spent three hours playing this game and it's amazing already. I think I either skipped the tutorial because I ignored all the grey doors at the start or there wasn't one at all.

Also I have a generic question: if you die and then rest at a bonfire before recovering your bloodstain does it stay there or do you lose it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Cool thanks, and what about those grey doors at the start? I walked past them cause I saw a big monster off somewhere in the cave and didn't want to mess with that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

That entire area was the tutorial area. Did you see the small stone columns? Those have messages which explain stuff.

Oh I saw the first one but not the other ones. The game is pretty easy to get the hang of though thankfully.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey guys I'm pretty far along in the game, SL 100 and have killed two big bosses. I'm using a +8 mace right now because that's my "RP" thing for the guy I'm playing. However, I'm not really sure whether I should keep trying to upgrade it or if I should try to find a better weapon. I like the high strength bonus it gets and also how relatively fast its attacks are (compared to the ultra greatsword I got for other situations).

I know there's a weapon I can get for trading in the last giant soul but that's 9 str higher than I've got and I'd imagine it swings hella fuckin' slow.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Flytrap posted:

The mace is one of the best weapons in the game, there's no reason to switch if you're happy with it. You could think about maybe powerstancing them or trading up for the bigger clubs if you want.

And yeah, the giant axe is hella slow and the damage is really not worth the massive stat investment necessary to use it.

In other news, I'm hanging at the Iron bridge and showing off the new weapons to everyone. Actually got a couple messages asking what the gently caress I was using (mostly interested in the katana though. I guess stabbing yourself does leave an impression.)

Thumbtacks posted:

Rule number 1 of dark souls: Fashion > everything
Rule number 2 of dark souls: use the weapons you enjoy using

If you like the mace, keep using it. Try other poo poo if you want to. Some dude beat like NG+10 with a ladle, so everything is viable.

Yeah I dunno, I just sort of want a cooler looking mace. Something that works exactly the same but looks niftier.

The mace does indeed work really well, if the range is a tad short.

EDIT: also this game fuckin owns. About half the bosses I either kill on the first few tries but it's still fun and challenging, and the other half I die over and over and over again but still feel like I'm getting better as I go along. gently caress the ruin sentinels though, that's the only one I looked up online and wouldn't have known to summon the magic chick without it.

I also really love how there is literally no set path to go. I ended up killing one of the Flexile Warriors up past the petrified pyromancy chick as a regular opponent before fighting it as a boss in the ship because all three times I ventured down the path towards no man's wharf I totally missed the little widget that opened the gate. And now I'm farting along through huntsman's copse and either one shotting all the little guys or having a relatively tough time with the big motherfuckers.

this game rules

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 27, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When I went through no mans wharf I ran into a guy drinking out of a big mug and "you deal galvan wheel!" Or something like that. I was delighted to find he would buy all my garbage but when I ran back to where he was he was gone :(

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thumbtacks posted:

After you talk to the lady who sells rocks, he's chilling in a cave. I'm trying to be vague but also help you not miss Gavlan.

Lady who sells rocks in no mans wharf? I love how often I miss poo poo in this game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Spoilerfree description:
First spot: Wharf
Second spot: The zone after the big steel bridge.
Final spot: The zone he feels at home in.

I think I know the big steel bridge it's in the region with the Spanish Inquisition guys?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So does the NG thing carry over any actions you made in your previous run-through, or do you basically get to try again with the various NPCs if you messed them up?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does the number of people dropping summon signs in NG+ levels of souls go down dramatically or will it still be kind of easy to find buddies for bosses? On fights that I imagine I'm the appropriate level for it usually was only a few minutes between summons when I dropped my sign and that was pretty cool.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I enjoy using the Greatsword as an alternative to the Mace. If I need to be a bit further away from my opponent, or if there's a crowd, it's a lot handier. Though really I just picked it up on a whim, not because "hey what's a good sidearm for this mace".

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So it seems to me by just looking at the changes I get every level up that after about 25 or so points into an attribute the upgrade you get per point starts to go down? Like I used to get about 2 stamina per endurance point before but am now getting one. Is there like an asymptotic limit to the diminishing returns?

I mean, I know level ups in DS have always been "small" relatively speaking, but they add up and are worth it after a while. But I've got like 26 points in the HP stat , the stam stat and adaptability, about 32 in vitality (the encumbrance one) and uh 43? in strength. Am I getting to the point where things really start to slow down?

edit: also haha drat the Looking Glass Knight or whatever was a really fun fight. I managed to take him out in one try but I think that's really only because I was able to take his big ~4 swing combo on my shield and not get creamed. The only times I could really get any damage in on him though was when he did the phantom summon thing. Otherwise I was being really hesitant trying to figure out his moves and just stay alive. Which I really think is the best lesson Dark Souls can teach you: be patient and take things slow.

Or well not all the time. Like after a couple tries on the huge spider monster I realized that the thing wasn't gonna really chase me so I hoofed it across the room to dodge all the lil spiders, then took care of them.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 28, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

Yes, the stats all have distinct soft caps beyond which your primary stat -> secondary stat exchange rate drops like a rock:

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/stats

idk what the official terminology is but a "primary stat" is a stat you directly put points into, which then causes one or more "secondary stats" to increase and those are the ones that actually do stuff.

Don't hide behind a shield, learn the rhythm of the enemies' attacks and learn to dodge them. The next second boss after LGK will punish the poo poo out of you if you don't break this habit right now.

You do do know you have to level Agility in order to increase the invincibility frames in your roll beyond the initial terrible value, right? Put points into Adaptability ASAP if you have not, burn a Soul Vessel to reallocate your points if you have to. Aim for 100 Agility.

Yeah don't worry I can move when I need to, I have I think 97 agility last time I checked? Also I have a crap load of vitality and penal mask and the ring that reduces encumbrance. I feel like I'm a lot more agile than I have any right to be with all the armor I'm wearing.

I was taking most of the lgks hits on my shield cause I didn't know what to expect really. Most of the time I was staying far away from him.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is it bad manners to use estus flasks in pvp.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Do bonfire intensities reset on NG+? Or are they gonna be like NG++

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

"What is done cannot be undone."

Going to NG+ does two things. It actually sets the game to NG+ (which affects a few things that are actually dependent on being in NG+) and it increases the Bonfire Intensity of all bonfires by 1. If they were already increased by Ascetics, they go up by 1 regardless and a NG+ area now becomes NG++ in NG+.

Cool, thanks. I accidentally burned one on the bonfire above the dragon rider boss in heide's tower thinking it would reset that boss but... yeah. That whole area plus blue cathedral are gonna be fun.

DS 2 is the first game I've ever actually been excited to play through again, either with the same character or a totally different one.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is there a mechanical difference between when your stamina goes down so much that the difference is yellow and when it goes down without the yellow bit? Other than when it turns yellow it's a bigger drop, I guess.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ok so I "finished" the game and saw the ending, can someone tell me why I did all the things I did.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just helped some guy named Hulk defeat the Pursuer. He had a loincloth, short black hair, only his fists and was green.

Stokes posted:

Vendrick was a chosen undead that defeated the 4 great ones and then built a kingdom using their souls. Things are going great until Vendrick starts showing signs of the undead curse and with the help of his brother Aldia he starts trying to figure out how to reverse it. The queen shows up and is like hey those giants on the other side of the sea might have something, so he crosses the sea and steals something significant from them. So significant that the giants crossed back over to Drangelic to try and get it back. Vendrick uses this something to keep the curse at bay and it works for a time, but everything's eventual and he succumbs to the curse, but not before making it to the Undead Crypt where he is guarded steadfastly by the loyal Velstadt and Raime. Raime is like dude this queen is behind all this, but Velstadt is like get lost bro. So they duke it out and Velstadt wins and returns to the Crypt to keep watch over the king. Raime hears tell of a darkness shrouding the Iron Keep so he goes off to try and remove it. But this Dark Woman of Ash is like hey guard me instead so he does and it all goes dark and stuff. Anyway the giants cross the sea and royally gently caress Drangelic up, but the player character (you) goes back in time, defeats the Giant Lord and drives them back. Too much damage was done though. In your search for Vendrick you run into the queen and she is like hey I'm impressed. Go defeat Vendrick, there can be only one king. Whether you do that or not is up to you. Oh and then you go fight the queen at the Throne of Want because she wants all the souls you've been harvesting. And while you have a choice to either continue the cycle or not, you're only given one path because the choice doesn't matter. The cycle will continue.

I read the item descriptions and listened to the NPC's dialogue.

Edit: I forgot the part about The Rotten being the Old Sunken King.

I know that's where the lore of dark souls comes from, and I like reading the stuff and listening too. I didn't get some of those things though, like that the guy Aldia was Vendrick's brother. Also I don't really get what the deal is with the ancient dragon.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also jeez those weird thingies in the bastile freak me out, they're modeled after the giants somewhat I think? They're like the big cages that look like those russian figurines that you put inside of each other.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

They look like human effigies.

welp

also I read in an item description that the "dragons" are called "drakes" and are descended from the ancient dragons or something

idk if that is in conflict with what people said earlier about how the Aldia guy recreated the dragons? Though I guess "descended" can have many interpretations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I'm around 11M ng+ and get summoned at Fume knight in under 4 seconds. Do you have a name ring active or burned an effigy or something?

Although yesterday i've seen summons and other stuff being super wonky, i just assumed that was a global FROM server issue (though i don't know how their matchmaking infrastructure works exactly).

What's the deal with the name rings? Should I be using one if I want to get summoned more often?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just ran into Raphael and Leonardo at the old iron king. They were turtles.

Like, they had on the turtle armor and their skin was green. Please tell me it was one of you people because I was laughing too hard and rolled myself into the lava before I could get a picture.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Goddamn I love the multiplayer in this game. Helping people kill bosses is so fun.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So Ruin Sentinels is probably my favorite boss fight. It's also got the best music in my opinion.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The red eyed horsey statues in the kings passageway are some of the creepiest monsters in the game. Especially the first time around when all of a sudden they're everywhere.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ungeziefer posted:

I've been taking screenshots of orange soapstone messages near NPCs since release, finally got around to making a post about it: Player attitudes towards NPCs

(Warning: long)

I'm wanting to hear some thoughts from players.

Did you take into account "hurrah for skeleton" and "don't give up skeleton" and how do you categorize them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Tbh durability has rarely been a problem for me. It comes up every once in a while but not too bad imo.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Like in the early parts of my runs I find myself running into it, especially on my first play through when I had no idea what I was doing. But I mean I dunno it's just like something that doesn't happen every time I go out and kill stuff? I'd call it 1 in 20, excluding areas with equipment degrading stuff.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When poison is damaging an enemy is it pointless to keep hitting them with more poison stuff? When I get hit with poison while poisoned it doesn't seem to do anything.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like to think that the reason he's acting all funny on the ground is because he's extremely embarrassed that he might have almost killed you.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I fought most of the bosses in the game solo but now gently caress that I like playing with other people, and fighting the ruin sentinels three on three is a blast.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The pursuer, lost sinner, old dragonslayer and maybe another one that I can't think of right now are all fun bosses because it's like a duel. They're not exactly hard or super challenging but it's enjoyable to fight them one on one.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also holy poo poo the hunters blackbow is loving amazing where has this thing been for all my life. Why does it have to be in drangleic castle :[

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

And of course once you've fought him a few jillion times you can brag about how ez he is with these clear and plain tells, why would anybody say Fume Knight is hard amirite? :shepface:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, were playing dark souls right.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

I mean bosses get easier the more times you fight them.

Yes also water is wet

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why does everybody have so much trouble with controllers. Like, I have this Logitech gamepad thing which is basically an xbox controller and it works fine. I didn't have to install any third party programs, unless you count the Logitech drivers or w/e.

Also the way I finally beat the pursuer is rolling to the right whenever he does an attack. I try to stay far away from him to bait him into doing his zoom attack with the shield, and get one good swing in every time he does that. It's really just a matter of not loving up and getting hit. Use your shield in dire situations but roll most of the time. It took me like dozens of deaths and I ran into the same hp problem as you. I believe in you~

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Goddamn magnetic sword :argh:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My computer is kind of old and that sort of thing happens to me as well, though not really getting stuck, more like every once in a while the controller will stop responding and I'll do the thing I'm doing for a second or two. I don't know too much about computers but I think it has something to do with not enough power in the computer? Or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I dunno, I find it kind of hard sometimes to do all the various things I need to do while running from place to place in stressful situations. Like if I'm running to dodge some guy after using a flask and then as I'm running I'd really like to switch to a different weapon or whatever I basically have to do some crazy finger acrobatics on my controller to hold the dash button and guide my movement and switch weapons all at the same time. Though I mean, that's with a controller and not KB+M.