Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Elephant Ambush posted:

Someone post that Cornette fan guy who was in the front row of a Dynamite and looked like a serial killer

That's pretty much what every single one of these sadsacks is like

I still don't understand that dude at all. Presumably he dropped a decent chunk of change on that ticket. Just to... hate being there? For several hours?

Even in the most charitable light he's still a guy who gave a bunch of money to a company he hates in some misguided attempt to "own" them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I think Alfred is one of those dangerously stupid online personalities that just absorb things into their brains and spit them out like it's an original thought.

He gets fed the fast nationals, spits em out with no context or understand of why they're misleading, then disappears into the ether for a day or two. Somebody probably once mentioned Yakub to him and that's floating around in there until he decides to call Claudio "rookie of the year" or once again argue that AEW doesn't have enough black champions.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

quote:

I don’t see it with the Young Bucks- they are tremendously athletic and talented when it comes to their in-ring style, but their Shawn Michaels-lite prick gimmick is off-putting because you can tell that it’s all an ill-fitting act and there’s not a whisper of them in it

This is my favorite part that I skimmed through. The Bucks are, in real life, horrible monsters and sneaky jerks who lie about people and spread rumors according to this guy.

But the off-putting prick gimmick? Not authentic AT ALL, sorry.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

"AEW needs to explain who these people are! WHO THE HELL IS THIS GREAT MUTA GUY??? Casuals are probably so confused right now!" I scream as I go frame-by-frame through Fury Road looking for the next hint to a WWE ARG I've already declared to be the greatest piece of fiction ever devised.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Ryan Satin said he didn't break the Vince McMahon story because he didn't wanna cover things that stressed him out too much. Now Ariel doesn't want to ask HHH about Vince because it might hurt HHH's feelings.

I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that all these WWE-adjacent journalists keep avoiding one of the biggest scandals in the company's history. Probably just not very interesting to talk about.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

MJeff posted:

I love how in these guys' minds, the Warner Execs are just constantly disappointed and embarrassed by Tony Khan, they hate the numbers, they hate the content, they can't loving wait to get rid of this guy and then every time a Warner Exec talks about AEW, it's just "Yeah the numbers are great and we love working with Tony Khan and we're excited to make more content with him."

It's pretty easy when you project your own opinions onto everyone else.

Someone who hates AEW for the sin of not being WWE? Well, everybody else must hate it, too. And if they don't? They're just lying about it.

There's also the bizarre goal posts set for ratings. For a long time it was the argument that Dynamite couldn't get 1 million viewers. Then they started doing that every week, so it suddenly became "oh, why can't they hit the 1.4 million they got on their first episode?". If AEW does that it'll just swap to "why can't they get 2 million?"

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Alfred is the biggest enigma of wrestling "journalists" to me. Somebody connected sends him those fast nationals, but why him? His tweets don't get much traction, he's very obviously just throwing poo poo into the wind to see what sticks, and he's not funny at all despite apparently being a professional comedian.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I still think about "dope rear end charcuterie board" every so often. Especially as I live in Pennsylvania and had a whole election cycle that also revolved around said boards.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Congrats on finding Enzo's reddit account.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

A wrestler was over with the crowd, had great moves, and was endearing to me, the viewer. I'm also very excited to see what happens next week and will be tuning in to watch.

0/10, terrible debut, I can't believe Tony Khan bungled this guy so bad into the thing I just made up in my head.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Kennel posted:

click-saver: (It's Cornette)

“Does anybody else see that it is coincidental or just amazing how this worked out? That Chris Jericho got to defend the ROH World Championship against and defeat in the middle of the ring a different former champion of some description every week on TV for six or eight weeks. On National cable television on TBS with, at least by their standards, a lot of people watching anywhere from 750-900,000 give or take.

But when it comes time to drop it, oh I’ll be happy to drop that title to Claudio on a f*cking Ring of Honor secondary pay-per-view that may not be seen by 75,000 people much less 750,000.”

:rolleyes:

Does he think fans are just going to think the title disappeared or something? And this is especially galaxy-brained given that Jericho proceeded to lose on Dynamite to Action Andretti. So what's his argument there?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

If only there was some way to build up the MJF and Bryan match that's coming up soon.

I dunno, like if MJF had a lawyer who also acted as a manager. And maybe one of the wrestlers managed by that lawyer could be put in a match with Bryan?

Too bad AEW doesn't have anyone like that, I guess.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Lamuella posted:

Tempting, but Mark Sterling doesn't manage Jade any more.

Okay they pretty much have to run this match next week.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I think the AEWBotches guy might be mentally unwell. Like a year ago I got retweeted by someone in AEW and AEWbotches kept replying to me for months with stuff like "you should watch WWE instead" and sharing a video set to Yakkety Sax of AEW wrestlers making minor mistakes. I never once responded at all but he just kept going until I blocked him because it just kept going and going.

I dunno if he had a crush on me or what but he was expending a massive amount of effort trying to get my attention and it was honestly really creepy.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

There's a pretty big overlap between "online wrestling weirdo" and "online misogynist". I think decades of WWE booking women as eye candy, drat jezebels, and evil scheming heels hosed up a lot of weird people who don't interact with women in any other way.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

AEW sounds cool as hell, I wish my boss would pay for a night out for everyone.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Rarity posted:

Seth would be a really good heel in AEW the way that Randy Orton could have been a really good heel in AEW

The qualities that would make Seth an amazing AEW heel are also the qualities that mean he'll never leave WWE.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Can you believe Tony Khan is thinking of bringing back CM Punk, a thing I just made up in my head?!

I can't believe they're so desperate, throw this one on the pile of "Terrible booking decisions I think Tony Khan might do". It's been a terrible year for AEW inside my imagination, yikes!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I never know if these kind of takes are born out of not watching the product, willfully ignoring things, or just plain trolling.

In what world is AEW not intermingling storylines? Look at Hangman. Feuding with Moxley while also considering reconciling with the Elite and blowing off Dark Order. Dark Order is trying to recruit people because they recently lost Preston Vance to RUSH, who was hired by MJF to injure Danielson, who's currently estranged from Mox and the BCC due to the actions of William Regal, who helped MJF win the title off of Mox. In what loving world is that not an intermingled storyline?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I'm so old I remember when Bray Wyatt's return was supposed to be the epic, MCU-like storyline of the WWE. Ryan Satin "discovering" QR codes, deep horror-tinged storylines like "What if there was a spooky ghost backstage", and complex characters like Uncle Howdy. I'm sure that all worked out fine, though.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

DarkstarIV posted:

On Asuka being pushed and getting a Wrestlemania match against Bianca, quite a take from some fans online:

I haven't watched WWE in years, but Asuka was generally among the most charismatic people on the roster when I watched. And from recent clips I've seen, that hasn't changed.

Not every wrestler needs to be cutting promos to get over, sometimes you've got enough personality that comes across in the ring and in your physical actions. And Asuka yelling at someone in Japanese? Guess what - it's cool as hell and people will cheer for that.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

If the ladder had broken or Hobbs had fallen off you'd hear endless "AEW IS UNSAFE!" takes from the exact same people.

I've been to enough indy wrestling shows where ladders slipped around and dudes faceplanted on concrete floors that I welcome referees actually holding those things. I've also climbed up a ladder enough myself to know I wouldn't want it wobbling around under me as I tried to unbuckle a carbiner.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Mox finally gets his vacation, only to find himself staying at a ballet school in the Black Forest which holds a terrifying secret.

It’s okay though, he finds the barbed wire room and feels right at home.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

History Comes Inside! posted:

According to big Dave it was tequila and got in the kids eyes so they made a huge fuss of him and took him backstage to give him a bunch of merch as a payoff

Serious question - that arena sells straight up tequila to patrons???

I'm used to just getting a watered down beer, Californians have no idea how good they have it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

This is pure insanity, love it. The really good AEW PPVs seem to bring people like this out of the woodwork every time, too.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

History Comes Inside! posted:

How do these twitter poisoned people get through the day without having a nervous breakdown over all the imaginary boogeymen they see around every corner

They don't leave the house.

I cannot imagine the horrible mental state of someone who would look at a cool photo of 2 wrestlers and instantly think "Oh poo poo, MJF has a big tattoo that just says "COP"! Or maybe even GOP!" loving go get help, seriously.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Roman Reigns is basically the Steve Buscemi of pro wrestling, after all.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

*watching Evil Uno vs Jon Moxley*

This looks like the most boring and safe thing ever, but I know it's really insanely dangerous!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

The_Rob posted:

It’s just funny how they’re always about how there’s “no story” but wwe literally every single week just has no matches announced and has people just go let’s wrestle with no previous storyline or anything.

If you use the "logic" of these people then Cody Rhodes' entire story revolves around you having to watch multiple different promotions, Sammy Guevara's vlog, and years of WWE programming on Peacock in order to understand what's going on. That's not even getting into the Bray Wyatt stuff where you need to scan QR codes or have recently watched House of 1000 Corpses to understand what's going on.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

There's never been a great, nor even good Kenny Omega match. That's what everybody says - he's physically pretty great but just can't seem to put a match together.

Now then, if he was in a Mountain Dew Pitch Black Match...

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

The Rock killed any chance of a Shazam 3, which means we'll probably never see Mr. Mind on the big screen again. I can't forgive him for this, I hope he ends up having to wrestle Roman Reigns at Mania 40 to keep the lights on in his giant mansion.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I once DM'd XeroNews to see if he'd accept any random "scoop" from someone on twitter. I told him that Chuck Taylor and Trent were involved in the Brawl Out and Trent kept yelling "loving Phil is at it again!" while Chuck Taylor laughed. Then Trent and Ryan Nemeth were on a flight together and Ryan kept saying it was "really funny how Phil flipped out".

Xero then told me he'd "heard similar things" and asked if I knew anyone else that was on the "pro-Elite side of things".

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I know he's just launching the dumbest possible takes into the stratosphere to see what people engage with, but doesn't this retroactively fix his problem with AEW having had "too many white champions"? Cody was a multi time TNT champion.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Sting's AEW run has been an all-time great retirement run and has already erased the stink of his WWE run for me. But a lot of his TNA stuff was just kind of there, although I admittedly just watched that on and off.

On the contrary, I think Undertaker's final few years in WWE basically removed any mystique and aura that he had before Wrestlemania 30 or so.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Nobody could have enjoyed Forbidden Door unless they were really into the idea of top AEW talent having big matches with some of the best wrestlers in the world. And, quite frankly, who would have wanted that?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

A documentary series correctly points out the worst aspects of professional wrestling, including the WWE.

"Well I can't wait til these assholes lose their jobs and die on the street."

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

A Venn Diagram of people who think AEW's cooking the books on Wembley and people who think the 2020 election were rigged might just be a circle at this point.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I think this dude just posts dumb poo poo to get a reaction. Hopefully. Because "the crowd was quiet because they're not used to how good we are" is insane.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

rotinaj posted:

It blows that twitter has just rapidly become a hive of the most irritating people making the shittiest arguments in bad faith

It used to be decent for conversation and ever since elon took over, it has just rapidly turned into birdchan

The dumbest tweets get pushed to the top, then every single reply is another blue-checked moron going "very interesting indeed".

Wrestling twitter seems to have been hit especially hard, dumb poo poo gets reposted constantly and outright bigots posting hate screeds against minority wrestlers can easily pop into your timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

If only some heel could like spill nachos on OC backstage, then we’d have a classic story.

Not these drat Easter Eggs like selling injuries, telling an interviewer how tired and hurt you are, and commentary reiterating that, too. Goddamn Tony Khan and his Easter eggs!!!!!