Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Another odd bug I found was if I had a sms thread up, and switched away from it, it would create another instance of that thread in the multitasking view, so I ended up having 10+ screens to close after talking with my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If anybody is interested, AT&T is selling refurbished 925s for 80$ without a contract. Not a terrible deal for sure.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I own a 920 and love the drat thing. I upgraded from a 520 because my son needed a new phone, so he got my 520! :v:

It's a fantastic phone and the screen is wonderful!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I too would pay you monies, and if you need help developing it feel free to shoot me a PM. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Uthor posted:

The Play Store is how Google controls Android. The OS is open, but the store is not and more and more of their apps are becoming Play Store apps. That means they can update the apps without updating Android (yay!), but also means that you have to meet their criteria to get access to the Play Store and the Google apps (boo!).

As a follow up to this: Android has a series of tests in what's called the Android Compatibility Test Suit or CTS for short. These tests are ran on a build of Android and every single one of the 20,000+ (as of 4.4.2) must pass for a device to be certified for google play. There is also a small handful of manual CTS tests you have to pass as well.

And even after passing the tests google may not certify you for whatever reason they come up with. So it's a crapshoot for smaller companies to become CTS certified.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Is it a bad thing I want to upgrade my 920 to a 1520? I love the gigantic-ness of it all, and it's a quad core 1080p phone. Is there really anything bad about the 1520?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just picked up a 1520 and it's amazing. :allears:

I really have to complain about AT&T here though. I went to the store at the mall and asked straight up for a 1520, and after they determined that no, they do not, he tried to sell me on a G3. Then when I asked where I could buy one he said nowhere in the area. I went to the Microsoft store in the same loving mall and they had not only them on hand, but in every color. Thanks AT&T!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 2, 2015

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

My 920 is on its last legs, and I'm sticking with AT&T because grandfathered unlimited data is pretty awesome. My options are basically M8, 1520, or 1020. But I'm really not liking the idea of being locked into a 2 year contract when new phones could could be announced soon. Goddammit Microsoft :(
The 1020 is 200$ on eBay.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MyFaceBeHi posted:

While it would be nice to go back to windows phone the main thing that is keeping me away from it is actually the music app. I was fine with everything else as I am currently using my android phone for mostly social media things (including snapchat :argh: ) and music but I disliked it on windows phone. Even Spotify felt wrong on it but that just boiled down to no developer giving a poo poo about WP! Everything else I loved, including Cortana and the fact that it could read out texts whilst I was driving.

How is the 930? I never used the QI thing on the 920 but I liked glimpse and its a feature I actually miss from WP. Is it a worthy successor to the 920 or is it more so-so?

The awful music app I hear is pretty decent. :) The 930 got pretty drat good reviews it looks like: http://www.engadget.com/products/nokia/lumia/930/

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
And Microsoft continues the age old tradition of "Buy every other windows."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmmmm, 8" inch tablet and babbling about full PCs, maybe they're finally allowing to install Win32 apps on ARM?

It was probably running a atom processor.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Huh, their bringing back a WP7 feature.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So while I love the new sa app, the only thing that bothers me is when you decrease the font size it doesn't decrease the other pictures around it, so you get a gigantic name/avatar, but smaller text in the post.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

People wanted fonts to scale. No one said a drat thing about images. :smug:

Well I am :colbert: my 6inch phone screen makes the images huge!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

Just hold the phone farther away from your face, duh :v:

I dint buy my 1520 to hold it further away from my face sir. :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Perhaps they will have official dual booting of WP10 and Android?

Also free ponies and rainbow farting unicorns for all! :woop:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Give me the option to put optical lenses on my phone and I would be a happy camper. :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MobMentality posted:

Because Apple has a reputation for quality.

Which is funny because they stopped using higher quality internal parts a long time ago in favor of better aesthetics design.

Now granted their mechanic design is amazing, but their quality is somehow perceived as better when in general it's really not.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

Because 'less apps' is not a selling point, and the finer point about not needing a million apps for basic stuff isn't easy to fit into a commercial, is my guess.

Some guy picking through a million bajillion lovely apps: Screams in frustration.

Picks up a WP8 phone: Uses the features he wanted to use right away without any issue.

Announcer: Just use your phone; the basic features shouldn't be add-ons.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pipski posted:

Its other plus is a decent-sized battery, so you'll probably actually be able to take pictures when you need to. While I was on holiday my Nexus was running out of juice by the afternoons, and I missed a lot of good pics as a result. The 930'll keep chugging a lot longer.

In that aspect, my 1520 can last almost 2 1/2 days with moderate usage. :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

But why are you only using it moderatly? :v:

I have a tablet for the other stuff.

When I am out and about with the family taking a lot of pictures, I don't think I have been able to get the 1520 below 40% by the end of the day.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I used my 1520 all day yesterday from Boise to SLC to Long beach, with GPS going to and from Long beach to LA.

5% battery life when I got home. :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stick100 posted:

I'm sorry but that's just not true. Hardly anyone is currently developing new software as WPF/Win Form/Silverlight/Windows Store Apps. And no one is doing that for the ARM platform. People are mostly writing new software as either direct C++, websites, or directly for Android and iOS.

There will be a lift from Win10 but it's still going to be a huge uphill fight to get software on the platform. Also WinPho10 will still be ARM instead of the x86 like the majority of Windows Store apps so that will still be a huge hurdle to overcome.

:shh: I think that was sarcasm.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I wish I could teach Cortana custom pronunciations of names. Also the ability to say "read the last text message from ____" would be nice as well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Can I reply to text messages in Windows 10 from a WP10 phone yet?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

benzoapyrene posted:

My 925 is slowly falling apart - the headphone jack died a couple months ago, responsiveness is sluggish, etc. I like the Windows Phone ecosystem and was kinda hoping to stay in it. Originally I was going to wait for a 640XL and jump on that and then get a nice new flagship later, but since there's no update on the release date for AT&T I don't really want to rely on that. Long story short, I was looking around at maybe getting a used 1520 for now, then if the 1520 starts to show its age upgrading like originally planned. Is this a reasonable idea, or has the 1520 not held up well? I know that there were some issues with the digitizer - was that specific to a certain model of the 1520, or are they all suspect?

I love my 1520 and it shows no signs of aging at all. I say go for it. Every phone will be tiny in comparison after using it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

benzoapyrene posted:

That's really good to hear. This might be a dumb question, but with a phone that big how awkward is it to pocket? Would it be noticeably uncomfortable if I keep it in my back pocket?

I wouldn't ever sit on a smart phone so I wouldn't know. It's not uncomfortable to front pocket it though, but I am 6'1 and 200lbs. :unsmith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I had a infinite reboot problem with my 1520, I took it to the Microsoft store and they instantly handed me another one without even trying to replicate the issue. Best experience I have ever had at any retailer. :shrug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I don't think that particular problem is quite a bug though, the camera is just ridiculously resource-intensive. Which might be desirable, would have to see what a cheaper implementation on similar hardware would achieve image quality-wise.

A camera generally shoots out frames in raw Bayer format, which in turn has to be converted to YCBCR format (generally 442). This conversion process is incredibly processor intensive, and even with the likes of a fpga helping will drain the battery pretty quickly. There isn't much anybody can do with the way current CMOS sensors work.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tivac posted:

Anyone taken the plunge on 10136 yet? It's sounding polished enough that I might put it on my 925 for everyday use but would love a trip report first.

Doing so now, will report back later.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ugh, I can cook scrambled eggs on my 930 after the update to 10136.

--edit: Meh, seems like none of the apps are preinstalled, every first start seems to head to the Store. Hope that changes on final release.
--edit2: The Store is still a mess with mismatched focus and hit surfaces, and semi-functional controls.

Odd, my 1520 hasn't got hot yet, even in a case.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LifeSizePotato posted:

Any crippling issues you've noticed yet?

Playing around with it:

- Internet explorer isn't installed, and I am not sure how to install it.
-After the first boot I couldn't pin anything to the start, a reboot fixed that issue.

Things that are cool:
- For larger phones, holding the windows button will push the application down, making it easier to use with a single hand.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well, I have to wait til Fall for the next iPhone and Nexus cycle anyhow. If by then, the W10 app ecosystem improves, I may just stay.

Same; I love my 1520, but I am getting the feeling this is WebOS all over again. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
just picked up a band for 135$. I love this little thing so far!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

Working on a theme manager (Still don't get why I'm getting the brown accent color for the status bar, I guess it hates any shade of blue :shrug:). In the 8.1 app, there was a dark theme for the phone version, and a light theme for the desktop. But since now you can switch themes on the desktop, I need to make them both consistent. Also I've wanted to do custom themes for awhile anyway.

Looking good! By the way, on my 1520 there are three small issues I run across all the time that really bug me.

- YouTube videos are shoved half way off the screen.
- about half of the images loaded are blurry.
- the quote/edit/last read buttons remain huge even if I change the text/image size.

Any chance I could ask for those to be looked into ? :)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

- I'm guessing you have embedded youtube videos turned on. I don't, so I never checked for it. I'll look into it.

- Which images? The ones in threads? Can't really control that. The thread icons? Those I can look into. What exactly do you mean?

- That's because I broke them at some point when making web view changes. It should be fixed in 10, but I'm not sure I can back port the css changes to 8.1. I'll look into it.

I also moved my questions with more information in your project thread. :)

Embedded YouTube videos are on be default. :v:
Yes, the ones in threads, I don't have this issue with the other older forums reader by the other guy (can't remember his name)
Thanks! I really appreciate it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

no amberpos? shameful

Green YOSPOS > Amber.

Although YOSPOS should have orange and black instead of Amber. :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

For YouTube embeds, that was not true for me. It was always off by default, I would have to turn them on. Maybe that became default at some point? But yeah, not for me :shrug:

Not saying I won't fix it, I will. I'm just saying that's why I never noticed it. These forums have tons of (dumb) features like that.

Thinking about the image issue, without debugging the code (at work :v:) I'm thinking it could be because you're increasing or decreasing the font size in threads. I gently caress with the size of images in the web view when you do that, so that could making them look weird. Try turning off the zooming and see if that fixes it. If so, I would have to change that function... although I really want to remove it from the 10 version, since it should not be needed with my new thread template view. But I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with it.

Give me a few days :tipshat:

I would look at my post in your project thread. I explained that the blurriness doesn't go away even if I use the default font size. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

Well then you're hosed. :v:

Outside of image scaling when you change the font size, I'm not doing anything else to images. If they don't load all the way, then the web view is not loading them. It might work better in Bootleg's Awful app because that's Silverlight, and maybe it handles them differently, but I don't think this is anything I can control, based on what you said.

I ran my 1020 and 1520 through Fiddler and changed the network speed to see if I could replicate it that way, and they still, eventually, loaded. I put in a Sim card and put them both into Edge, and eventually the images loaded. I can see what you mean by "blur" when loading, but they did finish for me. And again, that's not something I can control unless I do weird poo poo like fully load the thread before showing you it. And that would be lame.

Now the buttons issue, I can fix. But weird images? Check your data connection, because I can't replicate it based on what you told me.

Huh, really odd. It's the same problem on LTE, or WiFi at home (100mbps) or at various other places around town on WiFi. This is also my second 1520 with the same issue. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

wormil posted:

"Business phone" was a 2000's concept, a marketing point for Blackberries and to a lesser extent, executive phones. I can't see that it has any relevance today.

Because large corporations would like to control your phone and keep the data on it secure remotely? Especially if they are paying for it. I don't see how that ISN'T relevant? :confused: