Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

FYI ya'll. The developer preview is live as of 7:10 EST. http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-now-available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

a couple questions.

1. Previously all the games I had were only visible in the games hub. Now they are all in the alphabetic app list. Is there a way to hide them all back into games hub?

2. I uninstalled the facebook beta app in favor of the new facebook app. However now all my contacts are no longer synced with their facebook pictures. Reinstalling the facebook beta app did not fix this. How can I get this to resync?

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Is cortana providing traffic updates for anyone? I have this feature turned on as far as I can tell but have never seen this update happen. Just headlines, weather and tech news in Cortana's feed.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

joebuddah posted:

Has anyone figured out how to use the integrated Skype function when making a call? I have Skype installed and can use the app, but the button is disabled in the call options while a call is in progress

Is the other person's Skype account linked in the people hub to their main phone number?

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Well Xbox music got updated to add fine scrubbing and other small improvements.

I'm annoyed though that when scrolling through my music quickly, I still get to a point where it needs to catch up and fill in the artists and songs. I find this more annoying that anything.

The old music hub which is still accessible ( http://www.wpcentral.com/bring-back-old-Xbox-Music-Windows-Phone-81) doesn't have this problem.

Does anyone with more programming knowledge know why this is?

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

G-III posted:

As I previously reported, none of my searches in the xbox music store were working via the phone yet the same searches would work on the xbox music website and windows 8 app. I've been a long time zune / xbox music subscriber which got me grandfathered into the 10 credits per month, however the only place where you can still spend song credits is ONLY through the phone interface. Therefore not being able to search and purchase music from the phone basically renders my xbox music subscription completely worthless. No matter what search you put it, the store search in the xbox music app will come back as "no results."

Turns out, in order to even SEARCH for music in the xbox music app, you need have location services enabled for the app and then sync your microsoft account. I poo poo you not, the app won't even let you look up songs in their store unless they know your gps location. Utter loving bullshit.

Meanwhile, I'm definitely dropping this poo poo in November and canceling my xbox music subscription as Windows Phone has turned into a colossal goddamn joke. No consumer should ever have to go through this crap simply to play music on their phones.

Not even disputing that the xbox music app is horrible but if you are a zune pass subscriber, you can still use the grandfathered song downloads in the wonderful zune desktop app.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Gives me a reason to turn my 1020 back on. Hopefully it just works.

well this is hopeful. MY Dp preview 8.1.1 1020 is now downloading a new update. Hopefully its cyan.

edit:

Well, its cyan. Looks like you no longer have to downgrade to get it! Theres a second download after it going now though

CalvinandHobbes fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 26, 2014

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

BonoMan posted:

My 620 was more budget than the 630 and had both.

I think Microsoft has tried to move the entire range downmarket. Partially because 4 is seen as a cursed number in china (it sounds like the word death) so they didn't want to make a Lumia 430. The 530 is essentially what a 430 would be and the 630 has moved down to the 520 range.

Granted, I still don't think this excuses the lack of an ambient light sensor or proximity sensor. I can't imaging they are saving that much per unit by shaving these off.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Tanith posted:

No, I'm still using WP7 :shobon:

Yeah, I would look into whether switching to ATT's Next plan and getting a phone off contract (925 or 1020 which can be had for around $300) wouldn't save you some money. All current non-1520s on Att are a little long in the tooth and not really worth being stuck in a 2 year contract for. The 830 should be coming out soon on ATT (soon as in the next few months). If you must remain on contract, that's probably the one I'd do.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

vigorous sodomy posted:

The battery life on my Lumia is garbage. What am I doing wrong? It lasts maybe 2 days before dying.

Is that to mean that you charge the phone once every two days? if so then that's exceptional battery life for any smart phone.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

I like this idea.

second this, it would look awesome and fit with WP more.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

LifeSizePotato posted:

I'm used to MS making :psyduck: and :cripes: business and marketing decisions, but this is one that just doesn't make sense to me. You have people coming off their 2-year 1020 contracts, and you have nothing new and exciting to give them as a replacement. What can they possibly be expecting, that people are so loyal that they'll sit around for another year waiting for WP10, which will undoubtedly be 1.5 generations out of date anyway? Are they supposed to downgrade to the mid-tier scrub models? Working within the upgrade cycle timeframe seems like the basest rule when it comes to the American smartphone market.

the 1020 is actually only around a year old (released july 2013). Also it didn't sell super well. The 920 however is almost exactly two years old and sold decently on ATT. Those people will be coming off their contracts. Microsoft wants them to "upgrade" to 830s. I suspect a lot of 920 users will be buying iphones.

Disclaimer, i'm a huge Nokia fanboy. I got a Samsung focus on contract, then pay full retail for a 900, then got a 920 on a contract then paid full retail for a 1020. I don't see myself upgrading to anything else other than the 1030 equivalent hopefully by next spring. My mom however is coming up to a 2 year renewal for her 920 and needs to upgrade as the battery on her phone is getting pretty bad. If the 1520 is too big for her, i'll probably recommend an iPhone 6.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

I'm not smart enough to know if this article is off the mark, but it seems like a fairly straightforward and believable explanation to me: http://www.wpcentral.com/why-microsoft-keeps-starting-over-windows-phone

If I'm wrong, feel free to school me.

The other big problem with constantly restarting from scratch is the lack of polish we saw in Windows phone 8 and 8.1. WP7 was a limited OS but incredibly polished. The music experience for example was sublime. With so much developer time spent on redoing the kernel and basic OS, more rough edges have popped up although the OS is now more capable. iOS and Android have had much more time dedicated to polish and its really starting to show.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

My bad memory tells me the biggest issue with going from 7.5 to 8 was more chipset/driver related I thought. Anyway here's an update summary from what I've seen on the 830 which is coming to AT&T, and a potential "upgrade" for those with old faithful (920):

*Supposedly will come with QI charging, will have glance, etc. So functionally it doesn't lack anything.
*Performance seems to be roughly equivalent, wins and loses some contests. I'm going to completely guess that maybe this has to do with some apps not using all four cores or something, which means it may perform faster in the long run?
*Does have some upgrades like sensorcore, MicroSD, removable battery, better camera.
*It's bigger than the 920, but lighter and thinner as well. 4.5" -> 5" screen but same resolution.
*The only major strike for me would be it will not have the upcoming "Hey Cortana" passive listening feature.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-tU8v-HGjsCxkP0eKgLSwQ

Personally I'm going to ride my family 920/1020s into the ground I think, or just keep waiting to see what else comes. I'd like something faster but I'm not unhappy right now.

Just wait for ATT to announce that they've done you the favor of removing built in Qi charging in favor of $50 powermat cases!

(i'm only 10% joking...)

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Stumpus posted:

The lumia 930 seemed to be the best windows phone that wasn't giant or had a tumor sized camera protrusion. From what I understand it's also good enough for her purposes and will be a significant upgrade from her iPhone 4.

Personally I'd like to get her the six, but it's not really me using it.

check out the 830 as well. If she's coming from an iPhone4, the 930 may come off as really bulky. The 830 is generally felt to be the better designed of the two.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Uthor posted:

Technically, the 530, but it seems you'd be better off with a 521 or a 635.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/10/newer-but-not-better-the-nokia-lumia-530-reviewed/

The spiritual successor to the 520 is absolutely the 635. Microsoft moved the whole series downrange but didn't change the naming series as the number 4 is bad juju in china: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture

The 530 should be considered the 430 (Microsoft should have just named it the 330 or something)
The 635 is now the 5 series equivalent.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Krinos posted:

Not any old FFC, the same FFC as the 730. And an actual auto focus rear camera, not the dodgy POS from the 530. Basically this phone is what the 530 and 630 should have been, rolled into one and released a couple of months later.

with no plan to release it in the US and only to Europe after a few months. Yay Microsoft!

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

At this point, I've jumped ship to iOS as a primary phone, largely due to the music/podcast experience and the lack of polish that has plagued the whole 8.x release. The lack of a new flagship for AT&T also contributed quite a bit.

I figure I'll give Microsoft a year until my NEXT term is up to make some progress.

So far, biggest things I miss are the live tiles (icons are boring, android widgets are interesting idea, but badly implemented), Cortana (siri blows by comparison) and the people hub/app. Even in its neutered 8.x version its still light years better thanks iOS/Android contacts.

Honestly the music experience is really crucial. When jobs introduced the original iPhone, they hyped its ability in three areas. As a phone, as an internet device and as a music player. The phone part is arguably less important now unless you include various messaging solutions. But given that music is seen as at least the third most important thing a smart phone should do, its baffling that Microsoft has deprecated the music experience so much. Zune desktop and zune on windows phone7 were what really sold me on the platform coming from IOS.

If I wasn't so smitten with live tiles and the 1020 camera (although the slowness is started to really bug me), I'd have jumped ship already.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

... an official position that Microsoft has decided to try and compete primarily on the basis of price rather than the basis of quality. Probably with the hope that low price alone will drive sales and increase market share. Focusing on low prices, while also having low sales volumes, means low revenue. Which means more ruthless evaluation of priorities around this perspective. Which means quality becomes optional. Which means a low quality product is acceptable to release...

Furthermore I think the push towards cheaper prices is a misinterpretation of why the 520 was so successful. It wasn't just price, it was quality for the price. The 530 leveraged that model, not by attempting to improve quality but by slashing this in an effort to be even cheaper. I think the calculus there was wrong and hopefully the 535 is Microsoft recognizing this.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

xylo posted:

I didn't say it was wrong. I would love for the "mouthpieces" to just come out and say the real story. However if they did that and the ugly truth was revealed it would make some parties look pretty bad. And people don't like to look bad in public. That would damage business relationships and make things even harder then they are.

I don't think you're going to find any of them saying "Xbox Music came out great" -- I'm pretty sure they've been saying "yeah this isn't good -- we're fixing it by doing a rapid release cycle." That doesn't mean they've been able to address everything, but clearly the spending time fixing that, pushing the dev preview program, getting apps like instagram/pandora/etc is acknowledgement there is work to be done. Note I'm not saying it's all good and endorse it -- I'm just saying "this is the reality and it sucks but sometimes you have to make do behind the scenes to fix things without talking much."

As far as communication, the fact that we're doing Windows 10 pretty openly and letting people participate like this should be a clear sign that we agree with the communication issue and are heading in the right direction.

I'd like to echo the sentiment of appreciation for xylo's posting. Most of the windows phone forums these days are pretty miserable places and that's partially because a lot of the early adopters and fans are really apprehensions about the future of the platform. This mostly comes from a desire for the platform to succeed although it can seem quite a bit more negative than that.

Any information from official or semi-official sources that Microsoft remains dedicated to the platform and making it better is really helpful.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Awwwwww :(

I hoped they relented and finally allow backgrounds.

The do allow backgrounds behind transparent tiles though. I for one find backgrounds rather than the minimalistic elegant black or white to be quite.... ugly in all the workups I've seen. I hope the at least leave an option for the current background behind transparent tile with black on edges.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Well, count me as one the disgruntled old fogeys who is a little disappointed at further departures from the original "metro" asthetic in the previews today. The biggest offenders being the Calender app and the wallpaper behind rather than visible through the tiles (which I really really liked).

Seems however that most of the blogosphere really liked the new look though. Ah, well.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

You're not alone. In this article http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7869441/windows-10-for-phones-features-hands-on there's a few images of the Messaging app (I believe), both the directory of recent contacts as well as a messaging thread- they both look ghastly. Add to that the fact that there's now a left and right swipe in Outlook to flag and delete e-mails (as opposed to the standard carousel), and it seems like the original design aesthetic is being splintered. Outlook looks like something from the new Google design style.

That said, it may be worth it for all of the great new features they showed off. It sounds like they're finally integrating navigation into one primary app- hallelujah.

Not to harp on this, and i'll stop atfter this comment. And also not to minimize the tremendous work that's clearly gone on behind the scenes improving the core functionality. But the images of the home screen in that link with the user selected photos are just awful. Background image behind the tiles works well in Laptops and tablets since there is so much real estate around the tiles. In the phone form factor, there is only minimal space between the tiles and the bezel. Background image visible through the tiles worked so much better.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Tanith posted:

Well I hope to god there are rumblings about a flagship soon because my Lumia 900 is getting senile.

Current rumblings are July at earliest, more likely august/September. Yeah, I now, Microsoft is making it hard to remain on board this platform as an enthusiast. You could pick up a used 920/830 for 120-300 from swappa or Amazon? Both of those would be hardware wise huge upgrade from the 900 and then do a proper upgrade once the 940 (god I wish it would be a 1040 but that looks unlikely) comes out.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

wookieepelt posted:

I think this is where MS can set themselves apart. Make a 1030, make it waterproof and durable as all hell. Add all the hey Cortana updates and whatnot, and reinvent Windows 10 phones as the photographer's phone.

Microsoft/Nokia needs an identity for their flagship phones. They are getting the low end based on price for performance but their high end excursions have been far more mixed. The 830 for example wins at neither price or performance compared to android offerings. Waterproofing is probably not worth it as its costly from a design perspective and ends up not being a huge differentiator (or at least hasn't been a great boon for sony yet)

Photography and Camera's as the high end identity would be viable but Microsoft really needs to double down on it. The iPhone6 and Galaxy Note have mostly caught up to Lumias even up to the venerable 1020 in image quality (minus lossless zooming). Lumia camera 5s speed improvements are a great start but a Lumia 1030 with all the newfangled doodads (phase detection autofocus, xenon flash, oversampled lossless zoom and comparable shot to shot times) would probably take the crown again. Make this phone and DON'T price it at 299 on contract like the 1020 when it came out (and make it certainly cheaper than Iphone6 and the android flagships off contract) and they may have a chance.

This would probably be a loss leader proposition so Microsoft would have to be willing to eat some losses to gain higher end marketshare particularly with the hopefully competent marketing campaign the attach to this flagship launch.

More likely, we'll see the Lumia 940 launch in September on ATT only in the US at 199 on contract and 650 off contract with the carriers expected to do the marketing.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

-Anders posted:

I'm looking at replacing my current Oppo Find 5 android phone with a windows one. I've been looking primarily at the Nokia 930, even though it's a bit thick dimensions wise.
What am I going to miss the most going from android, apart from the tight google integration? And the reverse of that, what am I going to be most thrilled about with a Windows phone?

Here is a hopefully helpful recent reddit thread.

http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/2v7aga/longtime_android_fan_on_his_first_week_with/

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Windows 10 preview now available! http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/12/8017935/windows-10-for-phones-download-preview

Only for Lumia 630, Lumia 635, Lumia 636, Lumia 638, Lumia 730, and Lumia 830...

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

xylo posted:

Can try using Groups -- it would be text and email only though.

are you able to shed any light unto the decision making behind dropping rooms?

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

loquacius posted:

I'm pretty sure Joe promised us more device news by now. Where are the devices, Joe. Where are they. I still need to replace my 920. :colbert:

Flagship device. More like July/August/September. Well after all the android flagships release (because hey, Microsoft services are great on Android if case Microsoft could give you more prompting to switch). Next month at MWC, rumor is they'll announce two new midrange phones (likely 1330 and something else). Flagship gets announced likely at BUILD at the end of april/early may.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Initial impressions of the Lumia 635 from Cricket:

- Irritated Cricket disabled tethering, I would have picked up a third-party unlocked had I anticipated that but oh well, not the OS fault

- Beautiful UI, very slick. I love how the tiles work and the general infrastructure of how everything is laid out

- Nice to see a functional/informative lock screen!

- Everything is very simple and straightforward, as well as operating very fast

- Holy hell are the apps a barren wasteland. Disappointed many of my favorite services/apps aren't available. Pocket, ToDoist, not to mention all of the Google suite of apps

- Perhaps the battery still needs calibration but off the charger this morning I did a 45 minute workout with Spotify, the battery came down to 73%. That being said, Over four hours later it's at 71%....

- Really dislike Internet Explorer and hate that the Bing search is not able to be overridden. Also had issues with authenticating with Google sign-in on some services where the page would just hang after hitting accept. Came back later and it worked, it was a mystery

- I won't speak too much or critically about the specific hardware on the 635 since it's considered a budget phone. I am making sure not to judge WP on the unique HW that it has expecting that the higher-end phones have better build-quality/camera/features/etc. That being said, it does feel a bit cheap as hell but I kind of like that. I feel like I wouldn't mind tossing it around and being careless with it. Camera is passable in low-light and decent enough in proper lighting.

- Linked to my company's archaic Lotus Notes (using Activesync paradoxially, but I'm not a sysadmin so don't know why that works that way) easier than on iOS or Android. Never asked me for any capability to remote wipe and was very simple and straight forward. Not sure how I feel about linked inboxes yet, but the choice is mine and I appreciate that.

- A bit weary about not having interface/apps for many things in my lifestyle. No Strava/Garmin Connect to track my cycling. No Fitocracy and the web version is impossible. No official Starbucks app so can't get coffees/reload on a whim. For the interim, I will be using my Nexus 7 as the link between those things but it's bigger and can't hang around with me all the time.

- Really interested in seeing what some of the higher-end hardware has to offer. Qi charging, outstanding cameras, etc.

If the apps were more robust I think I would go full boat to WP as I really like the interface and structure of the OS. What's the trajectory here? Is WP gaining momentum and we SHOULD see improvement in this space at some point or have developers uniformally cast it out and it's going to be neglected until ~*something*~ changes that?

Mailing my Sony off today for warranty repair for at least 2-3 weeks so will have more time with the phone and very interested to see how my experience changes. I wrote this up more for myself to reference back in a few weeks to see how it changes.

For pocket: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/poki-for-pocket/2532ff45-aa3f-4aba-a266-ed7ec71d47bd

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

No, see, selling cheap phones with no margin is how you make money, not selling flagship phones that are marked up a ton.

Yeah, at the moment only Samsung and Apple make money at all. Apple makes 93% of all profits from selling phones. Samsung is down to 9%. Yes, this adds up to more than 100% because the rest are basically losing money.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-is-taking-93-of-the-profits-in-the-smartphone-industry-now-2015-2

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Grab some popcorn. I just ordered a new 1520.3 (want Qi) from here for $250 shipped:

http://tronicltd.tictail.com/product/nokia-lumia-15203-black-3g-4g-lte-quad-core-22ghz-unlocked-cell-phone-us-lte-bands

I'm 99.9% certain it's a scam. If so, I'll let PayPal deal with it. :bustem:

Check this thread for the incoming let down, lol.

If it does show up, fully expecting a Lumria 152.3 or some knockoff poo poo. PayPal case will be opened.

wow that site screams of scam. Let me know if its now, i'd be interested in following your daring daring shoes.

Since we're not getting a flagship until September, i'm interested in a stop gap. I love my 1020 to death but the camera slowness is starting to wear on me. I live in a area of somewhat marginal coverage so going without LTE on the 930 could potentially make things much worse (if the 930 had LTE for ATT OR Glance, i'd probably pull the trigger. I actually use glance quite a bit so I can't mentally bring myself to lose both. At least not for more than $200.)

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Prime Weasel posted:

Ah, thanks for that. I've since read up some more on it, too. :)

In other news... the regular Lumia 940 has appeared on the T-Mobile website (listed as coming soon), but not the XL version. The XL version hasn't been locked to ATT, has it? There was a vague mention of some MS/ATT collaboration towards the beginning of the MWC presentation.

Edit: nm, it's some special Office collaboration or some such with ATT & T-Mobile's parent co.

If you me the 640 then yes, Only ATT of US carriers I getting the xl
http://www.winbeta.org/news/t-mobile-and-metro-pcs-will-carry-lumia-640-not-640xl

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

The LED notification is in Android still if the manufacturers use it. I had an LG G3, which has it, and although I set custom LED colors for certain people it never flashed that color. Not blaming Android per say because it was most likely an LG issue.

Anyways, I have just become defeated and don't have any fight left. I will ride out Windows Phone OS until the bitter end, but will never recommend it to anyone. I did that one time to a friend and he got the 1520. He likes the overall look and feel of the OS but is boggled by no official Youtube app, no official google support, and hardware issues that both AT&T and Nokia refused to help him with. His rear camera hasn't worked in nearly a year so he has to take pictures of everything with his front facing camera. He told me the other day why doesn't Microsoft with all their money just steal/copy all the good ideas from other mobile OS'es, specifically iOS, then market them as whiz bang features. I had no reply other than "LOL M$."

I never implicitly recommended it, I simply told him it was a nice phone, so perhaps I never really recommended it to anyone.

There's no market presence in the US at all. I can't say the last time I have seen an ad, paper or otherwise, for the phones or OS. There's nothing. I don't think they have done any real advertising since, what, 7.5?

I got two people on windows phones with strong recommendations. Both like it. Recently a friend of mine was in the market for a phone and wanted a windows phone. I had nothing to recommend for her. 1520 was huge and 1020 was old and slow. She's happy now with her iPhone 6....

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

gloom posted:

My iPhone 5 is falling apart and I'd like to go back to Windows phone for a bit -- I really miss my old HTC Titan and also had an 8X for a while. Love the interface and don't care much about apps, do want a decent camera. The Lumia 640 looks pretty good; I like the specs on the 640 XL but it might be too big. It isn't clear yet when either will be available in the US. The UK pre-order price for the 640 converts to about $250 USD. At the same time, I can get an unlocked Lumia 830 on Amazon right now for around $300. I know the chipset is dated but overall the specs appear adequate. The design also seems like a step up.

Would I be better off waiting for the 640 to drop, or buying the 830 now? Or something else?

I'd either get a 830 or look into a 930 which are available for not that much more than 830s these days.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

cixelsyd posted:

Hi guys,

I am sorry to ask a dumb question, but I am looking at buying an unlocked Lumia 930, and I was wondering if anyone knew if it did LTE on Cricket/ATT in the US. I looked around and on the Amazon page it says it does not.

I read someplace ATT uses 1700/2300 other places I read ATT uses 700Mhz, 850Mhz, 1900Mhz and1700/2100Mhz. According to Wikipedia the 930 supports LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600.

Any idea if that would work?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately no LTE on the 930 on ATT (or really any US bands). That and the lack of glance are the things that stopped me from getting one.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, the downside of Android is that the "stock" experience can be wildly different between phones, and using Samsung or LG's default apps can be even worse than WP. The upside is you can find Google or 3rd party alternatives, but that does take some amount of effort, and requires that you actually know that better apps exist and that you can fully replace what came stock on your phone with those better apps.

Although what's most galling about the music experience in WP is that is USED to be fantastic. When I switched from the OG IPhone to a Samsung focus way back in 2010, the music experience was one of the things I loved the most.

No there's no doubt in my mind that music on the iPhone is a better experience.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

cougar cub posted:

Is there a consensus best twitter app (paid or free)?

Generally speaking Aeries and Tweetium are considered the best. I use aeries myself.

Aeries: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/aeries/4af58dea-f287-4ef0-bd04-bc25413be8ac

Tweetium: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/tweetium/8f328427-666d-4b6d-8a58-042ff6a17e41

Super recent review of windows phones twitter clients: http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/20246_Peregrine_MeTweets.php

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm very aware that I made a terrible decision by actually assuming Microsoft could make a usable product and not gently caress it up. I'm just ranting to the internet because I literally can't believe that a Microsoft device literally can't play music without falling over in 2015.

Welcome to the state of windows phone. As others have mentioned, its worse for the long timers. Windows phone 7 had a dreamlike music experience. I switched from an OG IPhone to a Samsung focus partially based on how much I liked the zune phone and desktop apps.

Every update to the OS since then has sequentially destroyed the experience. The original windows phone 8.1 app was nearly unusable. Its now been improved to just really bad. If you want to blow more money on the platform, look for a windows phone 7 device (lumia 800 for example?)

Also the Lumia 520 is awful in pretty much every way except price. That's not helping things here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

bushes posted:

I went to the Microsoft store over the weekend and picked up a 635 for $49 to replace my 520 until flagships arrive. Anyone have an idea why they phased out the 1520 so soon without a successor? It seemed a bit..early. Not that I was going to buy one but I would have liked to look at that big ol screen one more time :allears:

I wasn't expecting the 635 to run a whole lot better than the 520 but I've been pleasantly surprised. I guess a boost in processing power goes a long way.

The lumia 1520 is a 2013 phone comparable to the Galaxy note 3. Neither ATT or Verizon still sells new Galaxy note 3s although you can get refurbs.

It wasn't so much retired early as Microsoft just hasn't bothered releasing new flagships in the US since it came out.