Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Once I figured out what I have to do to register my device, I've got it going and it's almost done migrating data at this point, HTC 8XT. I will say this phone ships with a "Make More Space" app, since it seems to have about 1.2GB of free space for your photos and stuff. Once you get below 500MB, which is really easy, I just get spammed with notifications from this thing that I'm low on space. Waiting to see if 8.1 is going to put the squeeze on this thing worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Doesn't do that for me - I just tried "Show me the nearest Mexican Restaurant", Cortana voiced "I found this one", shows me a map with the location pinned, contact details and a button for navigation directions (and it was indeed nearby).

There will likely be growing pains with it over the next months, MS has said as they get more data from participants the variations allowed for sentence structure will increase.

It just shows me Taco Bell when I do that. I tried "show me a different one" and it still showed me the same taco bell. I said I don't like taco bell and it showed me taco bell. I said "I'm looking for a restaurant called el Palenque" and it actually found that one, which says "Mexican grill" in the title - but it must not be in whatever database it's using at the moment.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

MyFaceBeHi posted:

For some reason, after I upgraded to WP8.1, once I had fully charged my phone then turned it off and on again the battery went down to 32%! I take it that's not normal, right?

Nope. Mine has gone unresponsive after locking it a couple of times but I assume this is because it is still loading and doing poo poo in the background

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I also had to select Cortana from the menu first for it to start working.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You just have to grab it on that little bar at the bottom of the screen, or it wont go. I have had scrolling issues with other things getting stuck but it is less frequent.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have had some nasty problems with my 8XT freezing up and rebooting, or the wifi turning off and then not working, since upgrade. Wifi just shows off and when you push the off/on slider it says that it can't do that right now. This, unfortunately, reminds me of my Android phone enough to be worried - perhaps it's a firmware thing, and the official push would fix it?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

Any good weather apps that will work with the new 8.1 backgrounds? Weatherflow doesn't seem to yet. :(

Same, the HTC one doesnt update now and displays the wrong time and weather

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

it didnt seem to eraase anything but it did reinstall apps. i reset my phone and that lost contacts and a bunch of poo poo. it came up and asked me if i wanted to restore by entering a code to my email. i picked later, now i cant find thata again. having two gmail accounts seems to be what was causing it to crash ande screw up, unfortunately.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Excellent! The issue with the 8XT wasn't multiple Google account like I thought it was, but, rather, there appears to be general instability reported regarding WiFi and these units, either in general, or regarding secured networks. It will crash the phone, reboot, freeze, or the WiFi part craps out and it says that I "Can't do this right now" when I press on the WiFi turn on.

Good to see updates are coming.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You can also go in to calendar settings and uncheck the Facebook calendar

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Grabbing that now.

I've tried to upload some crap to OneDrive, and it sits there at "Uploading", then the phone reboots. :(

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I get that poo poo about not being able to connect when on cellular data with a low signal. Seems like sometimes they are more touchy about time outs

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

drat solitaire collection drained my battery 40% in an hour. Watch out for that one.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone else have problems with, what I assume are, group messages. When I receive one it simply says "Get media content now (1kb)" but when you tap on it the same message refreshes, outgoing group messages also refuse to send.

My internet and MMS access point settings are correct, so is there any known issue on WP8.1?

Works sporadically for me, sometimes they are great, others they get stuck.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

The XboxMusic app has demonstrated that since the WP 8.1 preview, so it's been around for a while.

Slacker does this, it seems to be that the playing bar ends a few seconds before the song really does, so something is out of sync there. Obnoxious, but at least music comes out of it.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I got the update, wish it came with release notes. WiFi still crashes 🌠

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Somewhere along the way, one of the dev preview 8.1 updates fixed the WiFi WPA2 crashing issue! Already beating android.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

I'm sure there used to be a 'never' option for screen timeout. Has that disappeared in one of the updates?

It is there for me, under lock screen and timeout . Bottom option.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I wish metrotube had a shuffle for preloaded videos, that would suit me.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have about 300 mb free on 8.1 preview, on my 8G 8XT. It comes with a storage sense type app that constantly reminds me of my suffering.

In the Awful forums app, quoting but canceling sends you to the end of the thread. I quote, because you can not tap to open images, or tap and hold for links. Next page often takes me to nearly the bottom of the next page, and I have to scroll up.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Here's one for you all. Cortana gives me weather alerts for severe weather, but only marine warnings. I am near a lake/river, but, that's all I have ever seen. Any idea?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

If she is drawing from the national weather service for alerts, then this is normal. I don't live that close to large bodies of water, but my accuweather app constantly gives me weather alerts based on marine warnings.

Does it not alert you of the corresponding land part of the storm, like severe thunderstorm warnings?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Does the windows phone insider app not work with 8.1? I used to use it to snag new wallpapers, but can't install it on my Lumia 635.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/insider/6c6091e6-0128-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

It says not available for my device, on an 8XT with dev preview 8.1 (lol HTC).

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You could have the 8XT where the Wi-Fi is hosed up and it crashes all day. You could have that. I pray for Nokia.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Still wifi woes on the HTC 8XT. And still nothing new from Sprint. I see I'm not missing much right now, fortunately, but was hoping for a fix eventually.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

With Sprint you learn to enjoy torture and sadism. When the Ativ S and 8XT showed up they were meh, and nothing replaced them. My experience with them and Win6 and iDEN/Hybrid was the same - not a big market for them, so reciprocally they get poo poo. I have the 8XT on SERO and every time it crashes for WiFi poo poo I am tempted to cancel and go to Cricket or something. Honestly, the value isn't quite there unless Sprint is working good for you or you have and can use the data. I am not at all shocked regarding their recommendations, like the various niche phones of the past of course reps have no idea.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The app selection is okay, but there are a bunch of shovelware shitters out there. Market penetration being one thing, hopefully bypassed somewhat when you can do cross platform apps. My question is how do we get Microsoft to pimp Windows apps for the desktop/tablet market, so they can make them available on phone? I don't know that will ever take off, but that's probably more fruitful than pushing phone directly.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I am unable to change page (no enter or go button, nothing happens), nor can bookmark from threads list. I know on the tablet you put in a post and hit enter but that didn't display here on the phone.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Unless you merge inboxes, they show up as separate icons in the start menu or whatever. Pin the ones you want on start, and adjust lock screen to see missed counts.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Per that , its still cheese ball. Plastics that are thin wont break but feel cheap, and that shite camera is just a topper. The rear on the 8XT is the same way and it doesn't feel like it would take up to constant opening - Paul mentions he has 3 phone lines so you gotta figure that is atypical and SIMs are set it and forget it. Other than the camera there isn't much to the review - probably because the Lumia line is straight forward.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Hey, I appreciate your efforts. On my RT, any way to refresh forum names? They are old , yet.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

In the latest update, the program now closes randomly while reading. Is it sending you info? Can it send you info?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Bug report:

- Windows Phone

Seriously though, thanks for writing the app

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I'm getting that headphone thing going on, and it looks to be corrosion on the exposed pads in the jack. Since it is cut into profile with the phone it collects moisture, grit, etc.

I'm going to try a 2.5mm swab (for optical connectors) with some deoxit.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The google apps look like rear end , on purpose I guess, through the browser.

I guess what I've learned there is - don't google. The apps look like they did on my i880 Nextel. Use what works IMO.

I'm going to get off of Sprint, they can suck eggs with their lack of device selection on WinPho, but please throw me a bone here with a flagship to spend the cash on.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Darth TNT posted:

I wish Cortana had a separate volume setting. While driving, to comfortably hear Cortana it needs to be in the 25-30 range, whereas any music I want to listen to needs to be in the 15-25 range depending on speed of the vehicle. :(

Seconded. I Bluetooth to my office phone at my desk and can't hear poo poo unless it is cranked. Then I need to turn it back down once I get blasted by YouTube or something.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

So this iteration of XBong Music seems to work reasonably well. It does "sync" the one drive Music folder and things show up. I have Sprint so sometimes it plays, sometimes not. Its ability to buffer is interesting. Even on 3G it will play most of the time. Sometimes it barfs up and plays snippets of the track as though it has no buffer.

This morning I hopped in and hit play on tracks I heard yesterday on an album, and it kept saying it couldn't be played on my phone, until I closed the album and tried again.

This perfectly simulates my Android experience.

On the flip, pasting MP3s into onedrive is cake.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Well, the charging cable and port melted and shorted on my 8XT (???). Since Sprint is sucking rear end anyways I walked over to the Cricket store and got a 635. It's mostly the same as the 8XT power wise except for being Hershey-bar thick, no camera flash (why?) and the shittiest speaker possible.

I put the Windows 10 build on there, which hasn't done it any favors regarding performance, but it mostly works. It is still missing a lot of things, and for the most part feel like Windows Phone 8.1, with some different apps.

Music is still the same as music. Outlook is ... a bit confusing. Project Spartan seems to work as a browser for the most part.

There are a number of areas where fonts don't line up or poo poo is cut off but that will be repaired.

This has made it possible for me to upgrade to a new phone by swapping the SIM instead of ... not having any options. I'm waiting for the new hotness now!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I've gotten my Lumia 930. Apparently this thing can't update from whatever it came stock to Denim in one go.

Also, any indications when the next Windows 10 Mobile preview will be out? The one supporting this phone, too?

My 635 went to cyan, then insured it had no updates for a while. Later It went to denim at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

PlaneGuy posted:

The "next" button is behind the keyboard... press "back" once and should just close the keyboard and reveal the next button like a bad magician.

This... If I have one complaint about win pho - this is it. The keyboard takes up so much space that it is often impossible to change fields with it up. You can back out, but for some cases like selecting text, it can't be done.