Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Did anyone else wake up this morning to find their Outlook.com account was no longer syncing their Twitter account to their phone, so the already-anemic WinPhone client doesn't work at all? Or is it just me?

ETA: Twitter is still showing up as a linked service on Outlook.com, but no sign of it on my phone whatsoever. Can't add it as an account, since its not an account type on WinPhone 8.1 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I already had the main official twitter client installed, it somehow broke hard overnight. The live tile was grayed out, wouldn't launch at all. Rebooting and a soft-reset didn't resolve the issue, but deleting the app and downloading it did.

Today's experience has made me miss Windows Phone v7.5 more than I already did.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

Okay, so I just submitted a new release for the regular Awful.appx app that changes the database to my new one. Hopefully once it's approved and installed it should fix the lovely database bugs that were causing all those issues for everyone not in the beta.

I may push out a new beta build too with the Windows 10 thread view changes, to see if you all like them. But that'll take a bit of back porting, so it may be awhile. But still sign up in the project.log thread.

edit: and it just passed certification, should be a few hours.

Good news: V6.5.4.1 is already available in the phone store, and it fixed randomly crashing to the start screen while reading a thread!

Bad news: It fixes randomly crashing while reading a thread by crashing automatically on startup. Every time. Even after a phone reboot and a delete/reinstall cycle. Never even got to the point of logging in after reinstalling it, just crashed immediately.

Phone info: International Lumia 1520 with 8.1.1. Where's the link to the bets versions? Didn't realize there was a sub-sub-forum under Cobol Cavern.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 22, 2015

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

Good news: If uninstalling does not work, reformat your device. :)

I think we have very different definitions of the term "good news", Professor.

God, I wish there was some method of managing poo poo in these godforsaken devices.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

The apps make it a lot faster and cleaner overall. In IE, the quotes are huge, but still readable. Where I edited my above post, the strikeout is fine, but the line after is unreadable.

I'm at the point where, unless Windows 10 blows me away, I'll get the iPhone 6s or maybe the iPhone 6s+. I'll wait the next five months or so for the next release. Hopefully Apple will switch to a USB-C interface now rather than later.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

Another update submitted and approved, check shortly and see if that fixes the issue. I tried upgrading it on the simulator and it worked fine. I tried on my person devices and it worked fine. I'm not saying there are no issues. Worst case scenario is to reformat and try again, but (and this is going to shock people here) I'm trying to avoid that.

Sorry for loving up your morning. I don't have a QA team that can check every possible test case for bugs and regressions. It worked for me and for the windows tester (who, I'm going to assume, had a fresh device and did not run into this issue), so I didn't catch it. It happens. You deal with it and move on. But to the person who found my work email to tell me the app broke: don't do that. Thanks :).

Awesome, thanks!

I apologize if my first post on the issue was lovely. It wasn't meant as a personal attack or anything, I guess the sarcasm wasn't as obvious as I wanted it to be. poo poo happens, we all move on. I really appreciate your efforts in bailing out this burning, sinking platform, so thanks!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

If you read what I had above, it's probably not just the database file issue, it's another one. The newest newest update was submitted and approved a few hours ago, but it's still not live in the store yet. When it is it should hopefully fix the issue right this time.

EDIT: The newest store release is 2015.422.2259.4971 : 6.5.6.3

So it should have updated. The good news is that it should not crash on start up (as long as you didn't have bookmarks as your launch page). The bad news is bookmarks and SAclopedia is borked. The database files are not being created now for them. This, despite the fact that it totally does do it on my debug and release builds if I deploy them directly to me device :wtc:.

I'm working on it. I'm updating my desktop and laptop Windows 10 builds so it may not be tonight but I'll try to get another build fixing that too. I will figure this out. It's so stupid.

I can confirm the .3 version is up in the store now. Of course, my start page for the app is the bookmarks :v:

Thanks again for your support and patience with dumb things!

ETA: Confirmed, it's more working than it was this morning!

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 23, 2015

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Hey Drastic Actions, I'm running the latest version of Awful Forum Reader now (released on 4/23), and I'm still seeing random crashes back to the Start Screen. Lumia 1520 on Denim, no obvious problems with any other apps. Rebooting the phone and intentionally starting & killing the app don't seem to help. Is there any kind of log file or crash report I can provide? I don't see anything obvious.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

It actually doesn't crash at the bookmark screen, but in thread view and even when replying. Doesn't seem to be any reliable way to trigger it crashing. I use the bookmarks page as my primary interface when I'm on my phone, though. It doesn't crash while loading, but randomly as I'm reading through.

I'm on today's version now, and it seems fine so far? I did have to delete and download, though. It would crash when trying to follow a bookmark, but it would refresh them just fine.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

Pretty colors and numbers

Awesome! Thanks again for the app and your superb support!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Just another dats point, but my 1520 with the latest 8.1 update and latest Awful App has crashed a few times today too. Straight back to Start, no image-heavy threads. It happened once while I was swiping up a reply, too.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I wouldn't "normally" either, but for those one-off, need-this-right-now things, yea, it'd be sweet. Especially if Continuum is half as nice as it looks.

I'm also imagining a couple of accessories like the old Motorola Atrix (I think?) had. A small netbook-sized clamshell that's nothing but keyboard, battery, and screen? Yes please. A moderately-sized tablet thing? In the bag. Simple dock for my desktop? One for home, one for the office.

The first-gen unit may not be there, but it's a very easy extrapolation. Especially if they keep the angles from the Surface line, that's one sexy dovetail for expansion.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Why does it matter if the carrier supports the OS? The radio should be all that matters.

Because Sprint and Verizon use(d?) CDMA networks, which are only common in the US and Japan. In terms of Sprint and Verizon, they don't(/didn't) use SIM cards; the phone itself is tied to the service. You can't just move a SIM from one phone to another, you have to call up the carrier and tell them the... IMEI I think? for them to activate. What that also means is they'll refuse to activate a phone that doesn't have their logo on it.

Since he's saying "doesn't support Windows Phone", I'm assuming he means Sprint. Verizon has had minimal support for WP for the longest time; I'm not even sure if they're offering any WP8.1 devices right now. Sprint had one WP7 or 7.5 device, I think, and that's about it. Between WP's small market share, and Sprint's small market share, it never made sense for them to offer the devices. Even with Sprint being the number 4 carrier in the US, the volume of users switching to AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon/Cricket for WP was probably a rounding error.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

loquacius posted:

How much is XXX.XX in USD? Pricing this out

$45.70 (under current exchange rates)

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I feel the same way. Android is off the table for me because the ecosystem is such a loving mess. That's in addition to my general distaste for Google's overall modus operandi: Track everything you do for advertising, cram bad products down your throat, and kill them completely when they don't get enough traction.

I'm really looking forward to a 950, but that's I'm lucky enough that I can argue for a company iPhone. Yes, I carry two phones, so I can keep company stuff on the one, and my personal stuff completely isolated from corporate management. If that wasn't the case, it'd be a much harder choice between Win10 mobile or a new iPhone.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

The point I was making was I absolutely want two, distinct devices. I'm an IT admin; I know exactly how much control my company can exert over my devices if they so choose. To ensure my personal data stays personal to me, I don't put work data on my personal device. I don't connect it to my office Wi-Fi network. My text messages, call logs, and web browsing are mine (and AT&T's) alone.

At the same time, I don't put my Facebook or Twitter account info on my work device. No dating apps. No messaging apps. Anything that is somewhat sensitive gets its own, new account, typically tied to my corporate email.

There are some games on my company iPhone, and my Pandora account. Nothing I particularly care about keeping especially private. Even if someone had an axe to grind against me, I doubt my preference for modern folk music would be of much use :v:

To be clear, I'm posting this from a 1520, that I do enjoy. I'm looking at the 950 (not the XL) because I don't need all the screen size at this point. I'm a big fan of Win 8/10, and the productivity built-in apps are absolutely best-in-class.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 13, 2015

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Yeah, I'm honestly about the same: Windows Hello is much more effective than I expected it to be. Aside from the dumb "You plugged me in, so the screen turns on, and I'm looking for eyes that aren't there" lockouts, it feels about 75% effective, which is about the same success rate I see on my corporate iPhone's fingerprint reader.

My 950xl has, overall, been satisfactory, but not thrilling. There's a lot of little issues, but nothing that absolutely breaks the value proposition. If Microsoft could get its act together for six months (in a row), this poo poo could rival the iPhone for user interface. As it is, I'm just hoping the next Win10 update doesn't, like, delete and block Zune/Music/Groove.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

My dual-sim 950xl did that a couple of times this afternoon. It also flashed up an alert that my SIM settings had changed, and the phone needed to reboot. That was all in the span of two hours or so just after lunch today. It's settled down, and been fine since 2:30 EST or so.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

With Outlook, Excel, Edge, and RDP I could do probably 75% of my work off my 950xl/Continuum right now. If I could get a VMware client, PowerShell, Flash, and Java, I could be 100% Continuum-based. Honestly, I could do all that if we had a decent VDI environment, and my coworkers would quit insisting on 50+ MB XLS files :argh:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

wookieepelt posted:

That happened to me. A factory reset fixed it, except my text message history won't download.

I had the same thing happen. Figured the text messages were just gone, but they randomly showed up a week later.

There needs to be a way to 1) see the progress of downloading your messages, 2) see the messages on the web, 3) force message backups to restore, and 4) see literally any feedback about the process whatsoever.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Mr Funkface posted:

Eh, no linux or chromebook access for this cowboy. Would Apple do?

Apple is Linux now :ssh:

(Well, it's BSD, but it's posix. Close enough.)

Mr Funkface posted:

I'm confused by the streams going on - I assumed 10586 was deprecated in favour of 14295?

10586 is the current "stable" branch. 14295 is the redstone/anniversary/bleeding-edge beta branch.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

That's not what Continuum does.

Supposedly, that's Coming Soon™ with the Anniversary Update, I think. There's already the Phone Companion app, and I believe that will be an extension of it.

Whether it will work, and work reliably :shrug:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

WP versus iOS: iOS is just boring. It hasn't really changed significantly since the iPhone launched almost ten years ago now, and that's just a re-hash of Windows 3.1. Sure, it does more now (control center, notifications, search, and it's easier to move data between apps), but the actual home-screen is just a bunch of icons in lines and folders. That said, if I didn't have a company-issued iPhone, it'd be harder to not re-examine choices come September.

WP versus Android: I just don't like Google. Besides them spidering Chrome EVERYFUCKINGWHERE and how quick they are to kill things that aren't working as well as they want (Wave, Reader, $yourfavoritedeadgoogleproducthere), the problem is how they've fundamentally mis-managed Android. Phones only a year old are already dead: they'll never receive a security update to close gaping holes in the base Android OS. The filtering on their walled-garden app store is a joke. It's exactly the same situation we saw twenty years ago with Windows 95/98, but with an always-on internet connection, location tracking, and banking details all in one six-inch rectangle.

That's not to say Microsoft is exactly winning any awards with how they've managed mobile; they're just the least-bad option.

I can't wait til Apple develops Crosstinuum in a decade, too :v:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

Off camera there is a cd-I, 3DO, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, SNES, PC engine Duo, Famicom, and a Vectrex.

They also require controllers, so yeah, got a bunch.

Glad to see Microsoft is finally getting serious about Windows 10 Everywhere!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I haven't seen "days", but I have, over the last few weeks especially, noticed it being an email or two behind. It seems to have a harder time when I have rules on my desktop Outlook (running 24/7) to move mail, where it doesn't always keep up.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

wookieepelt posted:

My messaging notification sounds stopped working. I went to the settings and verified that they should be working, I clicked the play button in the drop down and heard the noise, but my phone doesn't make noise when I actually get a message. This is frustrating, to say the least. The problem has persisted through a power cycle and I removed the battery. Still not working. Anyone know how to fix?

Have you tried selecting a different sound? Are you in Quiet Hours or have the Ringer + Notifications volume down? Does it vibrate when you get a text?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I've done the same. My 950xl had developed this amazing feature where, despite having strong signal, I couldn't receive texts or calls. No notification, no alert. The only way to correct it was to completely reboot the phone. And who knows how long that would correct the issue. Maybe it was running Windows 10 Mobile Fast Ring. Maybe it was the static shocks from the dry winters we have around here. Maybe it was the fact that the phone is two years old with no viable replacement on the horizon.

Regardless, now I have a phone that's fast, with much better battery life, and all the first-party apps I could want. Microsoft, when you come back, you best come prepared.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

If you're talking about the one that came with the 950, it's still good. It's just a USB-C dock, and works with other USB-C devices. I still have mine, and use it with my laptop instead of buying another, bigger dock.

Sure, it only provides enough power to charge my Surface Go, but having a screen and a couple USB devices (keyboard, mouse, headset) on one cable is awfully nice.

It's not locked to Windows Phone in any way, and I'm still using the dock. I can't say the same for the phone :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

And they didn't limit it to Facebook integration. I know Twitter could tie into it, and I want to say another social network that I'm forgetting too. IIRC, there were APIs for folks to integrate with Windows Phone and Live accounts, but obviously nobody wanted to use them because it'd be making your service plumbing and not front & center (and thus advertising central).