Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Just tried the campaign. Pearl of the Orient looks cool and all but then I started playing a mission and my only defense from helos was SAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

DatonKallandor posted:

Did you move up your air defense assets to participate?

Obviously this is my dumb fault and not the game's, but no, because it didn't occur to me that the starting groups just wouldn't have any stormers/rapiers. I thought the air defense group was part of some kind of strategic bombing mechanic.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Shanakin posted:

edit: Hemvarnsman, the swedish reservists with what is basically an L.MG3 with a longer reload time, will, 1 for 1, out dps most line infanty and have more hitpoints and half the price. loving lol.

Hemvarnsman (rookie): 0.18 HE/s
Motostrelki (rookie): 0.12 HE/s
Motostrelki (elite): 0.16 HE/s
Fusiliers (rookie): 0.15HE/s
Fusiliers '90 (rookie): 0.17

Hilarious.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So in campaign, you fight battles where the enemy likes to blob lots of cheap units and will usually have several options for avenues of attack. You usually don't get recon choppers. So... just put sacrifice infantry units in each avenue as speedbumps and rush reserves to whichever lane they're using to attack?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Well, I'm off to go add Deckungsgruppe to my W/Germ and Eurocorps decks.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dezztroy posted:

The SK60 is broken when it comes to blind firing. It fires the missile, but stops aiming right after, which means that since it's a SA missile, the missile ends up flying the gently caress off target. It's been like this for a long time.

Really? I didn't think I was running into that kind of trouble with them in ALB. Or at least, no trouble that couldn't be fixed by--God, I would kill for this--some kind of "attack area" command for planes that goes "Okay, fly over here and attack whatever's currently spotted." Or something else that fixes "We lost sight of the particular target we were going to shoot at for a second and completely forgot what we were supposed to be doing."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Leif. posted:

Really wish that you could right-click and drag planes with an attack order to give them the exact angle/direction you want them to make a strafing/bombing run.

If you could just hit Q for attack-move, and click-drag across a strip of land, they should be able to code "come in going this direction across this ground and shoot at whatever you see." Some kind of ROE AI that prioritizes higher-value targets might be nice, but shooting at something is still better than flying around like a moron.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

T___A posted:

Thanks, hopefully this deck is less lovely than my last one.
http://i.imgur.com/Uu0h4k4.png

-LOG should be fine.
-You don't need two cards of Konkurs. Drop one and get VDV or Morskaya, or maybe Strelki in high-end transports, though effective use of expensive infantry/IFV pairs can take some time to learn. I would also say that at least one card of infantry should come in helos; in this case I'd say get one card of the Spetz in a helo, probably one of the Mi-8 variants.
-Support choices are fine but step up the veterancy on the SAMs. You have enough cards that you probably won't call them all in, so higher veterancy makes them more cost-effective.
-As said, you won't use three full cards of medium tanks. Take one, maybe two cards. My spread of USSR tanks (as a suggestion, not a strong recommendation--feel around to see what works for your playstyle) usually goes one card basic T-64s or T-72As (the tradeoff is between offense/defense, the T-64s shoot better and the T-72s take shots better), one card 80-100pt tanks like the T-64B or BM or one of the -72 variants (again, tradeoffs), and one card of heavies, at least -64BVs or better. So I'd say from here, swap out one or two cards of the 55-pt tanks for a card of the 80-100pts.
-You went overboard with the recon. Drop two cards of the vehicles; I'd say keep the Exceptional BRM-1Ks, and think about picking up the Spetz-VMF sniper teams, sniper teams are great.
-You're missing out on the really great VHC choices that USSR gets by taking the 20pt missile jeeps, which are (generally) too fragile to be super useful. I'd say take flame tanks or Buratinos. BMPTs are incredible, so keep those. You might also pick up the excellent (if used properly) Shturm missile carriers.
-Helo choices are fine. Hinds wreck poo poo.
-Get a fighter again. Maybe YAK-141s. Keep the others, they're good choices (if that's the napalm Yak? Is it? I can never remember which is which).
-Think about ASM planes, they're stupid useful.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Not bad; just recognize that you're taking numerically few squads of good infantry, so you can win fights in cities and forests but not necessarily stick around and garrison them. Spetz and VDV will kill most other infantry but they die to bombs, napalm and artillery just like anybody else.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is the MIG-29 with clusters still the top choice for Soviet clusters, or is the newish -25 variant with six bombs good?

Haven't had the chance to play much in the last few weeks, hopefully I'll get more time next week.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mortabis posted:

Actually the towed howitzer talk gave me an idea. You know how artillery right now is kind of too powerful and has been since closed beta, but Eugen likes it that way? Well, suppose we nerfed artillery's killing power back to what it was in Airland Battle with commensurate buffs to aim time, but added in dirt loving cheap towed howitzers that come with high availability. The towed howitzers, en masse, get similar killing power to current howitzers, along with their extended aim time. But they also have minimal mobility, making them vulnerable to counter-battery from the more expensive and less numerous self propelled guns.

This just sounds like you end up with either throwaway howitzers or more micro.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Xerxes17 posted:

E: Apparently putting cluster on other weapons makes them just always hit roof armor as found out by mikeboy the pubbie. So you can easily get top attack missiles in this way.

lol

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Leif. posted:

Just thinking as far as towed artillery is concerned, you might be able to ghetto implement it with making them functionally infantry that move at a speed of 1 outside their transports.

Infantry are already vehicles anyway as I understand it, so there's even less impediment than that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It's my understanding that the ATGMs that Pact tanks carry are technically capable of shooting at helos flying at roughly treetop level.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dandywalken posted:

Oddly, its a total non-factor in CTH :(

On the other hand I can't imagine it would be easy to make plane speed affect CTH without completely loving the plane/SAM balance equation.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh hey, thanks.

Those couple of games with the tanks mod were pretty drat fun, though it's hard to say 100% if it wasn't because they were just already good games (that turnaround in that last one was great fun to play).

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
SFCV infantry sounds like an idea off the loving Eugen forums.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Xerxes17 posted:

Why should we give fobs crams? What would it add? What would redfor use?

Conscripts with Mosins.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Arglebargle III posted:

May 35th has just passed. A most auspicious date for the PLA!

Very auspicious, and to be observed by keeping forces on high alert to defend against, of course, nothing of significance.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lee Outrageous posted:

For the same reason that they made nuclear artillery, air to air missiles, mortars, and tried to design things like nuclear powered aircraft. The military was loving obsessed with nuclear everything back then.

Nukes were hip and in, and if your branch wasn't doing something with them you were falling behind and weren't justifying your budget as part of the New Paradigm of Warfare.

Yeah, we tested dropping Minuteman IIIs out the back of a C-5.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I just realized that I have yet to actually call in naval troops. But I've had way less free time since RD came out than I did while I was playing ALB--if DLC1 comes out late this month/early July that would be the sweet spot for me actually having time to play with the new fun units.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

MoreLikeTen posted:

It's so funny that there's a limit, because in the previous mission I was mashing the m1a1 button with reckless abandon, and in the next mission I ran out after six. I'm glad there's a limit actually, it encourages caution.

When you start getting into multiplayer and building your own decks, you'll see that the limit for each unit depends on what forces you choose to bring. If you want a ton of M1A1s... well, I don't actually remember how many you can get. You can definitely get a lot of Abrams spread out across the different variants.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is there a date I should look forward to for DLC? I should actually have time to play again week after next.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tevery Best posted:

How easy is it to find games with the Uralgraznomod? A friend of mine and I were thinking about downloading it, but I thought I'd ask first. Also, we're kind of bad at this game, so is it fairly open to people like us, or is it more of a thing for, you know, actually good players?

Get on the mumble and play with goons, nobody cares if you're bad as long as you're not dumb and bad, and goons can tell you what to do.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The Peace Rhine is alright; it's a little disappointing because it's strictly inferior to the Maverick-Tornado it replaces, but it's a serviceable little way to put AGMs on a target.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I've noticed some abnormalities in my combat reports - is it possible for crashing aircraft to hurt units on the ground? Also can someone suggest some interesting Redfor decks? I feel like there just isn't as much weird poo poo to mess with as Redfor compared to Blue.

Yeah, crashing aircraft/helos can kill ground units.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Observation: Destruction Botes is a dumb gamemode, don't do that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm on the same page, pretty much. A recon squad with a Dragon II I'm pretty meh about, but if it means the US also gets some shock infantry with a decent AT weapon that comes in good transports, I'm there all the way.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dandywalken posted:

They come in the standard US trucks, Humvee, M113 and Super Dragon 113, Huey, and UH60.

Cav Scouts, that is. M16 and Dragon II.

Yeah, I'll take it.

Is the US gonna get shock infantry in fast, armored transports with something more than a .50? Inquiring minds, you know. If Marines just got a LAV--yeah, I know it's a 15-man squad and bloo bloo realism but gently caress it, VDV get to ride around on transports that only held five or six or whatever. Also if the Marines could get an AT4 that would be nice. Or if Delta weren't so bad at their jobs.

E: VV yeah, so, edited.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 4, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Arglebargle III posted:

Chantilly say I saw you using those J-7IIs we talked about. I saw three of them fail to kill an F-4DS. The J-8 series are pretty decent fighters for a China deck. You can get 3 at vet. 180 points buys an ir fighter and a semi active radar fighter, both at vet. Not great but it's similar to a Su-27SK but with twice the hit points.

Besides with the Q-5D still broken what else are you going to spend the points on? J-7C J-7H and the rest is free for fighters.

Oh, yeah--that game I was playing a CatB Chinese deck because I wanted to see how it did, so the 55pt J-7IIs were the best fighter I had. And you can get three of them at Elite, but they each only get two meh IR missiles.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
They haven't shown off any new infantry yet, have they? I want to know what's in store for '85 and '90 updates of NSWP inf squads.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Justin Tyme posted:

autoloaders getting RoF degradation immunity is Extremely My poo poo :getin: I just hope they add an [AUTO] tag to guns with autoloaders to be able to easily tell which tanks have them.

I am so excited for this new DLC, East German Mechanized is gonna be gnarly with a Tunguska and decent iron bomber + buffed autocannons

I want to know if Mot-Schutzen and FJB-40 are getting year updates, or any swank new transports.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dandywalken posted:

I'll elaborate a bit on 'em even :P

Indigenous assault rifle. RPG-29. AA missile.

Yeah, I like that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Christ, the pubbie tears that will be coming after the autoloader/accuracy/pricing adjustments and new NSWP units.

Pact OP, secret dev counter-bias

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

OctaMurk posted:

Heheh, Eugen making vital information visible, that's a good one

Holy loly though way to add poo poo without making it visible at all to new players.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Also because the Chimera is hilarious. Not, of course, that the decisions behind who gets what units actually make sense, especially now that we're into 90s alt-history. I'm sure there are plenty of arguments among the spergs there in Eugen's own offices along "we should put fun units in" vs. "we should put realistic units in" lines--and I think there's at least one person on staff who pushes for more funky Italian export gear to show up.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dandywalken posted:

All the Marshalls (that I can think of at least) would prefer that era-appropriate tanks were priced to be most appealing, but its continually shot-down :(

The only way I can see they could pull that off would be to get rid of the T-55s and Centurions altogether, and they don't want to do that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Shanakin posted:

Rumour has it there will be a lot more napalm and cluster artillery after the dlc goes live.

This is the first change I've heard that doesn't sound good, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah I'm also angry they don't have ice, acid and lightning rockets. Fire rockets is ridiculously narrow.

BRB, learning to mod games.

• Locked thread