Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A better question about Venom in Guardians of the Galaxy is when exactly did that happen? Did I miss an issue somewhere along the way like a special or something? Also where did Angela go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Venom joins up in the FCBD issue. I guess they figured it didn't matter to them at this hit a week & a half early.

Oh, so Bendis is no longer content with time fuckery just in the comics then.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I really enjoyed the first issue of Original Sin and surprisingly liked Nova in it. Is the main Nova series any good? I saw Gerry Duggan is now writing it, and I've been liking the current Deadpool run. Worth a shot?

All of Nova has been good. Yes, even the Loeb issues.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really enjoyed the trip down memory lane in the Thanos Annual. There's something that just feels right about Jim Starlin and Ron Lim doing a Thanos book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

New Warriors reached adorable new heights this issue.

There was a lot of good Marvel stuff this week but that was probably my favorite issue. Just so much fun.

"These are our new friends, Jake Waffles and Mister Whiskers!"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nick Spencer is a pretty terrible writer from what little I've read by him but Brian Wood is fine from what little I've read by him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Flameingblack posted:

Hawkeye, Daredevil, Journey Into Mystery, FF, Thor: God of Thunder, Avengers, New Avengers and Deadpool are all really good.

It's probably easier to tell you what to avoid, and you just pick your favorite characters, most of it's so good.

Yeah, Marvel is in such a good place creatively right now that I think the list of stuff to avoid is many many times shorter than the list of stuff to check out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I too really enjoy All-New Invaders. The only All-New title I don't care for so far is Ghost Rider but I accept that I'm in the minority there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gusano posted:

I thought JMS had done that already in his run, with a guy named Ezekiel.

Am I wrong?

Yes you are. That was all the spider totem bullshit. People can talk all they want about how bad Sins Past, One More Day, or Superior are but I think the spider totem poo poo was the worst Spider-Man story I've ever read.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Die Laughing posted:

Then you must not have read many Spider-Man stories. I'll take mystical bullshit over a story with bad art and/or writing. Time has been harsh to it, but when it first came out it was the shot in the arm the series needed to take it into the new millenium.

Spider-Man is one of the three characters I've read every single issue of since I was a little kid. Including every single issue of all the main 616 Spidey titles. Through all the good and bad writers Spidey is one of the few characters I follow no matter who the creative team is. So yeah, I've read pretty much every major Spidey story and the spider totem was what I consider to be the absolute worst.

But enough about Spider-Man. To keep on topic with this thread I just caught up on the latest Punisher book. I'm digging it so far, anybody else have any thoughts on it?

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 9, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CharlestheHammer posted:

So you either don't remember chapter one or you are lying.

Eh, I throw that in the pile with something like a Spider-Man: Reign (which I do like quite a bit more than Chapter One which is just plain bad) in that I don't really consider it anything more than a "What if" of sorts so I don't really care about it and likely wouldn't ever read it again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Untold Tales was like the opposite of Chapter One in every way imaginable. I wish the series had never ended.

Not to get too Spider-Many in the non Spider-Man thread but if we're talking good Spidey books that we wish never ended (and I agree with you on that choice) I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Marvel Age/Adventures Spider-Man. Yeah, it was an all audiences kid friendly book that had its own weird continuity, but it was also often really fun. Especially the stuff written by Fred Van Lente. In fact that whole line of books is kind of a little forgotten treasure. I really enjoyed the Fantastic Four and Hulk books too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know they have ones loosely based on the cartoons now, but I've never read them because I don't much care for the cartoons. Are they just based on them in name only or are they like the old Adventures line?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never read Avengers Arena or Undercover but I liked his Cable and X-Force series and was sad when it was canned and replaced with the one we have now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

sublyme posted:

Just saw a friend instagram an avengers cover with a Sentry/Superman knockoff called Sun God. Really Marvel, you needed another one? So what's the story on this guy?

He's just basically a Superman on an alternate Earth. He's not a long term character though, just one that's popped up for a couple issues in this particular storyline. He'll probably be dead in the very near future.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Diet Poison posted:

Plus Loeb wasn't on it for very long. He left after issue 5. Duggan recently started writing it. I don't remember who wrote it between them, but it's been consistently good the whole way through.

The Loeb issues were really good too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've only seen Angela in Marvel books and I liked her.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

So I guess Falcon's redesigning his wings to be fold-out or does being Captain America just mean that you're not allowed to fly anymore?

He's still got them.

Costume looks fine to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dante from the Inhumans I think. Also that article makes it sound like it's still Tony as Iron Man but he moves to San Fran and does things differently.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like fun stuff and usually like these diversions from the normal books. So I have a feeling I'll enjoy all this stuff coming up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I just don't get why they are replacing Cap and Thor when it will all just go away in a year for Avengers 2 anyway.

But if the stories are good and entertaining I will still be in.

Because as I said these things are usually just a fun diversion from the norm. The fact that so many people get frothing mad about them is just a nice little side effect.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unmature posted:

gently caress everything about this.

I thought it was a fun little team-up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Senor Candle posted:

Sorry but that is 100% in character. Lighten up buddy.

Am I missing something? What does he think is wrong with it?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Senor Candle posted:

It's a meme.

Oh well whatever. I've never seen it and I just thought it was dumbstruck dialogue. Worked for me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pretty sure that's the really old school logo. I like it.

EDIT: Yup

X-O fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 17, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't know it was a meme at all because I don't keep up with memes. I just thought she saw Wolverine do something cool and was dumbstruck by it. So yeah it worked for me even though I'd never seen or heard of the meme before. Therefore I don't think it was completely lost on people that haven't seen it because I'm one of those people.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love the Cable and Deadpool series so Fabian Nicieza is alright with me. I still think it's the best run of Deadpool ever.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mark Waid is doing a new SHIELD series with a rotating artist on every issue. The issues will all be one and done stories. They will be bringing in some of the characters from the show as well as some of the stuff he set up in Indestructible Hulk.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Speaking of twins. Whatever happened to those two characters that showed up in that Marvel Point One issue a few years ago? Was anything ever done with them outside of that one issue?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think I saw an article somewhere that Ms. Marvel has sold way more digitally than it has in print.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

Is it worth a read?

If you like Starlin absolutely. It's pure Starlin through and through. And to me that is a great, great thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Harlock posted:

The panel thread got me into Marvel Adventures Spider Man. Are any other MA series any good?

I enjoyed all of the Marvel Adventures books. They're a fun read. Spider-Man and Avengers are probably the best though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I dunno, I kinda love Remender's batshit stuff and this sounds like more of that kind of fun along the lines of Uncanny Avengers. After Infinity and Original Sin I think a weird event like this is the kind of thing I'd go for.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Diet Poison posted:

I just noticed Acker and Blacker are writing Thunderbolts. How's it been? I haven't read Thunderbolts ever, just for context here.

Not as good as Soule's run, which was a lot of fun, but better than Way. It's almost done at this point.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

Who's been killed off? I haven't read it, but all the team members besides Rulk are in solo books or in other books, right? Ghost Rider, Deadpool, Elektra, and Flash.

The Ghost Rider in Thunderbolts is Johnny Blaze. And he wasn't killed off so much as separated from Ghost Rider permanently (or so it looks). Flash left awhile ago and isn't on the team anymore. Deadpool wasn't killed, just decapitated and his head was stuck in a jar where he couldn't regrow. I think The Leader is the only one that's actually been killed so far.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You should also read The Gauntlet which is the digital only Infinite book that was really good. It's also been collected in print I believe. Lot's of good Deadpool stuff happening recently. Duggan is pretty great with the character.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing I've read by Kot is his recent Secret Avengers and I like it so I'll be tuning in despite this reference to something most people, including myself, will have no clue about.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Himuro posted:

X-Factor Investigations is over? :negative: That was totally my favorite X-book. Is the new one good? It looked really bad to me while I was at the shop.

I guess Deadpool is good too, right? But isn't there a New Deadpool?

I guess in the Marvel verse these are worth grabbing:

- Moon Knight
- Mighty Avengers
- New Avengers
- Deadpool
- Daredevil
- Thor (they were sold out :()

Jesus all the Avengers books.

I picked up Ms Marvel tonight. Good grab?

The new X-Factor is by Peter David too and if you liked his other X-Factor stuff you'll like it too. I think it just got cancelled though. Still a few issues left to go though before it's wrapped. And having 20 issues of new X-Factor by Peter David to read is better than none.

You should also check out Black Widow as it's one of my favorites right now. Mostly due to the amazing Phil Noto art. Other solo books not mentioned that are pretty good are Punisher (same writer as Black Widow) and Cylcops (it's young Cylcops time displaced into the present and having space adventures with his dad Corsair).

Oh yeah, and if you're going to read New Avengers you probably need to get Avengers and Infinity too since it's all part of the same larger story.

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 3, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Threep posted:

Didn't see this coming:

(more)

I am so happy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uh, on that Secret Wars cover, is that St. George in the middle at the bottom? If so holy poo poo. I never thought I'd ever see St. George again. For some reason I had those comics as kid and really liked them. I don't ever remember buying them though.

• Locked thread