Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Acer Pilot posted:

Are they giving the Undine ships out or are you guys buying them off the exchange/with lobi?

There is a cruiser you could buy for way too much lobi, but it can be bought on the exchange for EC. The nicor is Box/exchange. Chances of getting ships from boxes are traditionally horrifically bad. 1% or less on the first day and it gets worse from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Melchior posted:

Also another good question would be what's the best (least effort) to farm EC? I'm doing Qwark the Farmer in the foundry but it runs out of loot halfway through the mission.

Go run the Undine space battlezone. You can get a ridiculous amount of loot in a short time while building up undine marks.

That's assuming you have reached 50 already.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Acer Pilot posted:

Today is Marc Alaimo's (Dukat) birthday.

Galor up!

e: Sorry for misspelling this great actor's name.
e2: Buy my poo poo on the exchange so I can buy 2 Galors (and have a full set of piss beams).

They made it so that you can buy piss beams from the dilithium store if you own a Galor, so you only need one now.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Hooray. Still more loving Federation ships.

You're right. They totally need to give us more Cardassian ships.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
I come back after a day and the thread about swimwear on the STO forums is 16 pages long.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1113531&page=16

I wonder how many of the people arguing for swimwear everywhere know that the nude mod already bypasses all the present Risian swimsuits. More than a couple is my guess.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16903201&postcount=170

quote:

the ridiculousness of this thread should be obvious due to its having several Replies to it from Members of both Starfleet Dental and Shut Up Wesley. I mean seriously if they have started passing out their "Butthurt report" or whatever is is they call it, it means someone has been feeding the trolls. quit complaining. if the Risa swimsuits are Risa only, more incentive to go there. If they aren't then people are going to run around looking even more silly than they had before. Either way they decide to do it, everyone will have to deal with it. threads like this aren't going to change Cryptic's mind and just make the player base look like squabbling children.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
They say they are "fixing" the hanger bay in ESD to keep people from exploring there. Apparently TacoFangs was not amused about people going in there and ignoring the rest of ESD or something.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1117791

Taco Fangs posted:

Ok, let me clear some stuff up on the Shuttlebay.

1) It was never intended to be accessible. Things that aren't intended to be seen up close are built in a much different manner than those that are. (See San Francisco vs. SFA). The Shuttlebay IS constructed (not a 2d picture like SF) because it is much closer to the area you are intended to have access to, and if we can build it more realistically, it will feel better (vs. forced perspective GG bridge). It's not black and white, there are many shades of grey, and many levels of detail we can put into things.

2) There is no 'SECRET' future use that the shuttlebay is meant for. When I designed ESD, I thought it would make sense to have a shuttlebay accessible for dignitaries/the Admiral, from a lore standpoint. That's it. We built it to make the whole place feel more alive, and more active. I also thought it would be cool to be able to see shuttles flying by, not just in the docking bay. That is literally the full extent of the intention behind the shuttlebay. The addition of the door to SFA wasn't added until halfway through the Tribble build.

3) It's not a waste just because you can't access it. There are a million maps that have extra areas built onto them that players are not intended to access. See San Francisco to SFA. Or the Reman Section of New Romulus, or the Docking bay on ESD. You will see these in many games. They don't ruin the game, they enhance the feeling of the world. You can't get on top of the buildings inside Ironforge. You can't get into the control rooms in Team Fortress 2. You can't get into the backdrop of Super Mario Bros. None of those things ruin the game, they enhance it.

4) There is collision down there, but it's not because we want players down there, it's for NPCs. NPCs use the same collision as players, and if the floor didn't have collision, the NPCs, which add flavor to the area, would fall through the same as you.

5) I totally understand people wanting to get out there and explore. That's fine. And I have no problem with you doing that through other means that don't affect other player's impression of the station. i.e. Demo Record, or the Foundry. Both would let you explore the space, at your leasure. (Yes, I know it's not in the Foundry yet.) The issue I have, is that people go out there, throw dance parties on top of shuttles, stand in the path of shuttles, jump out of the world, etc. All of which is visible to other players. I know there is a psychological element to this, where you want to flaunt your knowledge, and show off. You feel special for being out there, and that's fine. But, that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I am not "mad," per se. I'm frustrated, and annoyed. I regret that it was ever accessible without a glitch. I am irked that some players will ignore the rest of something we spent months working on, and instead spend their time getting to places we didn't want them to. I hate that there is a glitch in the code that lets you through, and that I have very little I can do about that. And honestly, the more people flaunt it, the more they say "I know how to get in and you can't stop me." the more I want to seal the whole thing off.

One might wonder, if you want people to quit paying quite as much attention to it, the best way might be to finish the place up and allow everyone to have access. Then everyone might leave it alone.

Edit: More

Taco Fangs posted:

To extrapolate a bit; For me, for the artists that work on this game (any game really), we spend months working on a painting. We put our heart and soul into the painting. We try to make everything as good as we can possibly make it. We put it in a gallery, we hang it on the wall, we light it just right. And on opening night, everyone rushes into the room, and starts inspecting the bench sitting in front of the painting. Then, if/when we remove the bench, to try and focus people's attentions on the painting that was meant to be the focal point in the first place, everyone complains about how much they love that bench, and how we've ruined the gallery by removing the bench.

I hope you can understand how depressing and frustrating that can be.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 16, 2014

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
At least they allowed you to pick your nacelle/running light colors on the corvette.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

DataDyne posted:

A lovely conversation with Marquisnoir: http://pastebin.com/YmuDgqxp

Worst 30 minutes of my life.

"Those Klingon Bastards killed my dead gay son."

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
And don't forget the ULTRA-SPOOKY Friday the 13th mission "Hearts and Minds." Line up to get your mostly useless blue doff and a lyrpa that does lack-luster psychic damage.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
There's a thread started where people are complaining that the floaters and boards for the Risa event aren't easy to control. I get the feeling that none of them realize that they can actually fly just by steering with the mouse.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1149961

There's always someone.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Someone decided to figure out how to beat No Win Scenario with two guys.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1177551
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eydFU1aMyWU

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
They missed the boat by not making it a Zen store item.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Mondian posted:

Maybe link the clip instead of posting a bunch of words about a thing no one probably knows about?

I started reading that thread yesterday and they had already taken down the clip and disabled their stream library.
http://www.livestream.com/trekradiotv/video?clipId=pla_8d4c152e-a913-4ea3-ae97-4e182830bfbc&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

It devolved pretty rapidly into an argument of whether or not it was okay to treat the Devs like poo poo.

Here's the link again:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1185461

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Cyberball 2072 posted:

We really should all quit and take up wood carving or something.

I have taken up wood carving. It's just that pubbie tears are a fun side hobby.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Are you saying you don't appreciate the hot breaking news that a pubbie made a joke?

You're assuming it was a joke. While it probably was, there is a significant number of truly disturbed people on the STO forums who might take such a statement seriously. DonDoodles gets a lot of mileage out of his methods, and he tends to drive some people in game beyond frothing rage. Don't troll-shame. Nobody says you have to read every post in the thread. I don't.

Besides, I found it mildly humorous.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

They're asking for player feedback in the place most filled with whining morons. Doesn't bode well.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Thronde posted:

Dude's so crazy he trolls himself. That's a whole new level.

In other news, I truly wish that if you have a level 50 on a faction, you could just skip the grind crap and make another 50 of a different captain type.

Edit: Or what Mike said.

Well, it doesn't cut out too much grind, but there is a sponsorship token you can generate for reputations that doubles the amount of points each rep project gives you. You can only generate it once you have a character to full reputation though. Then you give it to a new character.

Also, there is an XP weekend coming up in a couple weeks where you can probably level a new captain to 50 in a day or so.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

hakimashou posted:

its actually preferable not to place in CCE.

If you place you get random vendor trash as a reward, if you dont place you get dil.

You get dil even if you place.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

MoraleHazard posted:

I just realized that Doff missions can change depending on where your character is in the galaxy. Is this accurate and what's the best place to get marauding missions?

The missions in your Department Heads' tabs change also depending on what sector you're in. Always check those too.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

MoraleHazard posted:

Well, I learn something new every day. I never knew there was an animated series.

The show was voiced by the whole cast from the original show. The only exception was Walter Koenig because supposedly they couldn't afford everyone.

wikipedia posted:

Koenig was not forgotten, and later wrote an episode of the series, becoming the first Star Trek actor to write a Star Trek story. Koenig wrote "The Infinite Vulcan", which had plot elements of the original Star Trek episode "Space Seed" blended into it.

It was also the first place the holodeck appeared (called the recreation room). And of course it immediately malfunctioned and tried to kill the people inside of it.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

Hard to see any real positives to this system, isn't it? I know someone who upgraded a fleet locator console on Tribble to Mk XIV gold, and it took ~40 upgrades. At 950 dil a pop. And a long-rear end time unless you want to blow more dil to Finish Now.

The costs affect so many other things. I've been pretty negative about the design of the Intel ships, but at the end of the day, I was probably going to buy a T6 ship or two. And now I know I'm definitely going to need to convert most of the Zen I'd saved up back into dil. That's one less shiny new ship people are going to see flying around.

On the (tiny)upside, you're probably going to make a decent profit on that zen.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Not exactly a completely trivial upgrade either.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

It's good to see him showing his approval of Starfleet Dental by doing the dance of Our People.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Present MKXII spire consoles are 31.9 and 1.6 crit.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
For a short while they have another ARC code for a Holo-Leeta. This came from their Twitch stream today, so I don't know how long it will work.

spnXI8OK

After entering it in ARC, you have to go in game and claim it from the C-store under Items.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Anyone have any Mogai Heavy Warbird tips? I'm totally hating this ship since it feels like a glass cannon and even then, it barely feels like a cannon. Heavy plas hybrid disrupter cannons, plasma torpedo and plasma array in the front, plasma turrets in the rear. I try to battle cloak before engaging as much as possible, but I tend to draw a lot of fire from mobs and unlike a cruiser I can't take the punishment. :argh:

Get rid of all the cannons and run beams with the Valdore console and the Ionized Particle console to get a +25 weapon power drain resistance and +5 weapon power. Just running the Valdore console will automatically keep your shields up 100% of the time. You only need to worry about bleedthrough as long as you keep your dps up.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Burning_Monk posted:

Rock and Roll:
Your ship performs an animated roll maneuver, preventing all incoming damage for a short duration.

I want this, I will have it.

I recall bitching about not being able to do this years ago to DStahl. He challenged me to find a piece of footage where a starship did acrobatics. I found a clip where the Defiant did a loop, and then he quit talking to me.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

BombermanX posted:

You can advance beyond 50 now?

In the next season coming next month they are making it so you can advance to 60.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Melchior posted:

Can I upgrade spiral wave disruptors yet? Today's patch notes say something about the retro screech beams being possible but since they're not lobi items I don't know about SWDs.

I've been kind of taking a break until delta rising comes out - Skyrim seems to be a good substitute.

Yes. They convert to Mk XII purples for a fairly nice increase when you start to upgrade them, then you go straight to mk XIII.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
There have also been reports that the upgrade system strips the [Borg] proc from weapons, and mismatched sets lose their set bonuses despite them saying they wouldn't.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Putting your cutting beam in the upgrade tab and not even doing anything to it will strip the [Damx3] attribute from it.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Before I logged off last night I noticed that slotting the fleet ground shields in the upgrade slot stripped the ResB from it. With all the fuckups I found, I'm amazed that stuff like the upgraded piss beams went so well.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Don't pop the Nukara console into the upgrader.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
I had to go digging for it in the bug report forums, but I found some small bit of information on what they plan to do about the gear hosed up by the upgrade system.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=19479521&postcount=3

CrypticFrost posted:

Kaiserkakto posted:

If its not fixable with a patch may be they could add a new NPC/console somewhere in-game and turn in the bugged gear and get the fixed gear?
These are the two options we are investigating from what I've heard. There should be a more officiall announcement once we've finalized things.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

g0del posted:

Claiming that it's still in beta is just snark

Also, I hope everyone has 2.8 million dil saved up to upgrade a ship to all gold gear.

I'm banking on boosters and other zen store/lockbox items to cut down on that number. Also, the experimental kits that we'll be able to make are supposed to increase the chance of rarity increase.

Edit:VV It's more like 6-8 kits for that 5 percent. Not wonderful numbers, but double the chance for the same dil, hopefully decreasing the number of kits you'll need by a few. The ultra rare particles you'll need to make the experimental kits are fairly cheap right now comparatively or will be easy to get through the goon pastime of poopsocking. The salvage is gotten from doing elite STFs, which we'll do anyway. Also, at level 15 beams I'm criting on practically every kit project I do.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 27, 2014

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

wdarkk posted:

Is it safe to take my fleet shield out of the upgrade process now? Or is it hosed regardless? Or what? I started an upgrade on it before I heard about people getting the [ResA]/[ResB] stripped off.

It gets hosed when you put it in. Mouse over it and see if it has the modifiers.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
For only about an hour now this code is redeemable in the ARC launcher.

Red Matter Capacitor: O4KhYl2l

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Frankenstyle posted:

Thanks! I'll probably never waste a slot on this, but I love having the option to. For free.

You should. It's the best thing you can ever use in the item slots. It's good on every build practically. It's not a console.

• Locked thread