Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

google claims 300 million maus in the google+ stream and i just kind of refuse to believe it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

google claims 300 million maus in the google+ stream and i just kind of refuse to believe it

oh it turns out they're counting anyone who clicks on the bell icon gets counted as an active user. okay sure.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

double sulk posted:

After that point there was a running gag amongst fellow co-workers where we would walk by each other
and whisper "Hail Hydra"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The users are the demand, the services are the product. On the other side of it, the ad companies are also the demand, and the EXOSURE to us, the users, is also the product. The thing Google does is get the one group to pay enough for their desired product, that the other group doesn't have to pay for theirs. A simple thank you is sufficient I'm sure.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

google is deprecating the URL in chrome. :rip:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

my favourite piece of google design is this

oh, i guess i accidentally turned safesearch on?

nope jk it's just an unlabelled checkbox button!!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

new lenovo chromebook :woop:

you can fold the screen back!

but that's as far back as it'll fold

280$

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hey
hey

gently caress google

quote:

The latest version of Chrome comes with the option to just say "OK Google" when opening a new tab or the Google homepage and to speak your query directly. Depending on the information being sought, Google might also respond by voice when returning the results. Though it's described as a universal update, the feature seems to only work for Chrome users with their language set to US English so far. You'll be prompted to enable it when visiting Google.com, or you can dig into the privacy settings of your browser to tick the checkbox.

"we'd like to listen to you all the time. ok? ok."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

imagine opening a new tab in chrome, but finding it easier to speak your search terms than typing them.

try really hard to imagine that, because i sure can't

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

maybe i'm masturbating and opened a new tab with my mouse?

"OK Google. hot anime babes"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

google now peddling subprime loans:

quote:

Wall Street banks are helping the industry expand by lending originators money. They're starting to package the loans into securities that can be sold to investors, just as they did for subprime-mortgage lenders.

OnDeck Capital Inc., a lender with funding from Google's venture-capital arm and PayPal Inc. co-founder Peter Thiel, sold $175 million of notes backed by business debt last month in a deal put together by Deutsche Bank. Interest rates on the loans ranged from 29 percent to 134 percent, according to a report from credit rater DBRS Ltd., which labeled most of the deal investment grade.

Representatives for Thiel, Google Ventures and Goldman Sachs, which lends money to OnDeck, declined to comment.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

good

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Google today began blocking local Chrome extensions to protect Windows users. This means that as of today, extensions can be installed in Chrome for Windows only if they’re hosted on the Chrome Web Store.

Furthermore, Google says extensions that were previously installed “may be automatically disabled and cannot be re-enabled or re-installed until they’re hosted in the Chrome Web Store.” The company didn’t specify what exactly qualifies the “may” clause, though we expect it may make exceptions for certain popular extensions for a limited time.

safari has a less restrictive extensions policy

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FMguru posted:

are those numbers for engineers and executive or do they include things like kitchen staff and faiclities and security?

3% hispanic

you figure it out

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the youtube app got imo

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

if someone is all "oh i don't use Facebook :smug: :smug: :smuggo:" people probably don't want to sleep with them, for very good reasons.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

To qualify for the computer employee exemption, the following tests must be met:
• The employee must be compensated either on a salary or fee basis at a rate not less than $455 per week or, if compensated on an hourly basis, at a rate not less than $27.63 an hour;

27.63 * 40 = 1105.20

hmmm

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it's going to be rad when the eu orders google to stop holding back features of android from manufacturers who don't agree to include google services :unsmigghh:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

Google Co-Founder Says People Shouldn't Have to Work So Much

"If you really think about the things you need to make yourself happy -- housing, security, opportunity for your kids ... it's not that hard for us to provide those things," Page said. "The idea that everyone needs to work frantically to meet peoples' needs is not true."

Page said the world should be living in a "time of abundance" in which robots and machines could help meet everyone's basic needs much more easily.

Brin said he had to "quibble a little bit" with his colleague's vision for future employment.

taken verbatim from Zeitgeist: Addendum

"All these people on the planet working 9 to 5 just to stay alive, how come?"
-Beyoncé, 2013

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

remember the time google disabled gchat in all iOS applications except Hangouts to force you to sign up for G+

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

computer parts posted:

i'm sure there's a "any trade not within the eu must follow eu laws" clause somewhere

the eu really, really can't touch member state taxation. the mere whiff that the eu might see increased powers over member state taxation nearly scuttled the last major rounds of eu negotiations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

google's problem used to be they didn't apply any effort, they just made little apps in their 30% free time and if they failed, they blamed the idea and moved on.

now things like google plus have had some actually effort put in, and there's an overall design push too.

but those have failed, and what they're finding is they just don't have the organizational experience to release and market a product on a mass scale. all that time they've spent ideating and experimenting should have been spent perfecting the marketing and distribution process.

i guess their hope is with a "moon shot" they can get the first-mover advantage in a new category with no competition and where their inexperience doesn't matter.

this is almost identical to microsoft, where they had one hit knock-off product, and assumed that gave them the know-how to make a successful mp3 player, video game console, tablet and phone.

whereas apple has released the mac, iMac, iPod, iphone and iPad, with refreshes of each yearly. they are so far ahead of google and microsoft in experience and proven track record that there's no fitting analogy to do it justice. it's not coke vs. pepsi. it's like the economy of north america vs. north korea, where north korea is google, always boasting about their latest jerry-rigged doomsday weapons to destroy apple while their actual sole source of income is manufacturing the nipples on baby bottles.

this is a good time for the occasional reminder that Google has never (never!) designed a single money-making thing

everything they have that makes them money, they bought

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Necc0 posted:

ad-words / sponsored links weren't done in-house? lmao if true

Adwords:

quote:

The original idea was invented by Bill Gross of Idealab who, in turn, borrowed the idea from the model of the Yellow Pages. Google wanted to buy the idea but a deal could not be reached. Not wanting to give up on this form of advertisement, the company launched its own solution, AdWords in 2000. AdWords followed a model that was significantly similar to Bill Gross' creation which led to legal action between the two parties. Eventually the dispute was settled out of court.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:rip: twitch

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

yeah you know they get payed royalties for radio play right? and, like, movie soundtracks? its not a huge leap to see why labels are interested in people who use their music in money-generating videos. i'm not a proponent of the assumed-guilty auto detection scheme but the philosophy isn't ridiculous

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

reminder that stocks are impossible to predict and it's impossible to tell if warren buffet is good or merely lucky

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

what does that even mean

it's a reference to this sick meme xD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Management posted:

features I want in a smoke detector

1) reliably save my life
2) minimal false positives

coincidentally these are already available in the smoke detectors in my house.

if you have false positives, they're your fault

quote:

Safety History: Check the Nest app to see what caused Heads-Up or Emergency Alarms over the last 10 days. Keep track of where and when they happened, so you can figure out how to avoid setting off alarms.

you will be trained to learn to avoid to trigger your nest.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

loool

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

THC posted:

holy gently caress I hate nerds so much

im terrified to forward that article to anyone because I know half of them will be like "yeah people are the problem politics suck"

i have bad news

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you're the nerd

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

duTrieux. posted:

has google officially abandoned this or what?

they haven't said anythign about it for a while now, and nobody at google seems to use theirs, so...

they haven't abandoned glass like they haven't abandoned plus

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I am coming to terms with the reality that I am no longer allowed to be a Google user, and it's depressing to say the very least. I got an email last week letting me know that my Google Wallet card had been suspended due to fraud prevention and that I needed to verify personal information. I sent them a scan of my driver's license and my associated debit card, and received a response that my information could not be verified. I tried to verify again, this time with a bank account statement and my credit card. Again, my account could not be verified. I called Google Wallet support and sat on hold with a representative for 30 minutes while he tried to verify my account, but it could not be verified. He recommended that I contact developer support as it may be part of my Developer account.

I contacted developer support and, while they didn't mention a specific reason, they suggested that I file an appeal as my account may have been terminated due to "violations by associated developer accounts." I filed an appeal and was denied -immediately- due to "multiple policy violations by this or associated accounts". I was also instructed to not start another account as it would be suspended as well and all funds forfeit. I was told to refer to the emails I received with the subject REASON FOR REMOVAL, however I never received any emails. I was able to eventually isolated the issue as to why my account was terminated: a developer I had worked with in the past, who was still associated with my account, HAD had their account terminated, but not for apps associated with my account, nor had that developer released any apps on my account at all. They were simply associated with my account as a developer. (Not an owner or administrator). I imagine this was Google removing any means of this developer releasing an app, but I would've hoped terminating their account would've accomplished there.

How bad is the termination? The termination comes along with suspending my Google Wallet account, which can also not be re-opened. Not by my real name, bank account, email address, or credit card. This means that Google will literally no longer accept money from me for any reason. My Google Drive subscription lapsed today and can not be renewed. My Google Music subscription will lapse at the end of the month and can not be renewed. I got into the Google Domains beta and I'm lucky I didn't transfer any domains to them because I likely wouldn't have been able to pay for those as well. I can no longer purchase ANYTHING from the Play store; Not music, not movies, not apps, and not even devices like Glass. I can no longer purchase micro-transactions in the apps I already own. I can never make an NFC payment again.

At this point, literally, my only option to be able to continue as a mobile user and developer is to commit completely to iOS. I have to buy an iPhone*. I have to find a new music subscription service. I have to purchase music and videos either through iTunes or Amazon.

Worst of all, my story is not the only one. The internet is full of stories of users who have been terminated for reason they can not entirely understand. A termination from being an Android Developer is a termination from being a Google user and you are automatically guilty by association even if you have violated no policies yourself.

I am not happy to say the very least.

tl;dr: Termination of your developer account also permanently suspends your Google Wallet.
*Addendum: After further research I could probably use the Amazon app store, something like rdio or Spotify for music, and Dropbox or Skydrive for a Drive replacement, but I'd just really rather not have to do any of that. I could also buy an Amazon or Windows Phone but.....

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

prefect posted:

i read somewhere that s. jobs considered it betrayal if employees had non-apple phones

i can't imagine the self-loathing necessary to work for apple and be a androidhaver

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzNTjpUMOp4

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gentle Autist posted:

glass is the ultimate signifier of someone who wants to appear 'with it' and 'up to date' but is in fact clueless and a consumerist jerkoff (like fishmech). its like bluetooth headsets in the early 00s

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the last big cold fusion thing was 5 years away every single time it was reported

from two weeks ago:

quote:

Lockheed Martin Corp said on Wednesday it had made a technological breakthrough in developing a power source based on nuclear fusion, and the first reactors, small enough to fit on the back of a truck, could be ready for use in a decade.

Tom McGuire, who heads the project, said he and a small team had been working on fusion energy at Lockheed's secretive Skunk Works for about four years, but were now going public to find potential partners in industry and government for their work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

fishmech?

• Locked thread