Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

google makes money with targeted ads

targeted ads are shown when search results are returned

therefore it is in google's best interest to return search results every time, even if they are irrelevant

what are you going to do? use bing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

looks like a huge pita either way tbh. i can see why that guy stole a plane and crashed it. couldnt be bothered loving around with landing in that poo poo probably

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

that’s more work than my job and you do it for fun smh

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

that’s more work than my job and you do it for fun smh

post makes no sense now

no regrets

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

infernal machines posted:

also, goddamn bing is absolute poo poo. like, google has spent the last decade making their search product less useful in the name of advertising, but bing is just absolute poo poo at returning results for anything even remotely technical.

bonus: the top five search results being outright scams and malware links, because paid promotion

google knows their search doesn't have to be good, only the best

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

The Management posted:

let’s not pretend like google+ wasn’t a panicked response to the rise of Facebook. google had created an array of services and massive panopticon to try to understand who the users are so it can target them better. then comes fb and users are literally telling Facebook everything about them. all of that juicy targeting info, of the highest quality, just typed right in for Facebook to use. Facebook ads were starting to cut into google’s sales. they grabbed a significant chunk of the online ad market. they are a significant competitor. and now they have tracking bugs everywhere, which work great because everyone is always logged into Facebook already. and you can log in with Facebook into everything.

oh, and let’s not forget that Facebook was siphoning off google engineers at a rapid clip. they had an IPO coming up and later fast rising shares, whereas google stock was stagnant for a long time there. at one point google gave all employees a 10% raise across the board to try and stem the bleeding.

google was scared. they were losing share of the online ad market to the first real competitor they’ve ever had. they were losing employees. they were missing out on so much tasty data and ad opportunities because people spent so much time inside Facebook properties and were so trusting with their personal info. and so, g+.

and then g+ fails horribly and google still makes a boatload of money so i'm not sure what conclusions to draw. except possibly that corporate strategy is a lie capitalists tell themselves to feel like they've earned their wealth

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

getting a bachelor's in CS kinda sucks cause it turns out that all that stuff's been done already and what you actually do is use a library. actual value of my degree is, uh, I can spot o(n^2) loops pretty good. i bought some algo books a while back just in case i needed to do some work where it wasn't immediately apparent what library to use, and nope. have never needed them

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

The_Franz posted:

getting a bachelors in anything boils down to learning stuff that's already been done. even a masters is usually just adding a few courses on top of a bachelors.

e: it's even worse in the more mature fields. don't expect to get anywhere near real research in anything having to do with biology without a ph.d

i know. still sucks. I graduated knowing how to do an algorithm and data structure. lets use that knowledge! oh, nobody doing anything interesting will give me the time of day due to 3rd rate state school and no internships. now im a senior zip code parser and nobody wants a senior zip code parser to work on their distributed graph database or w/e

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

The Management posted:

if you can’t reverse a linked list then you shouldn’t be writing code. it is a test of fundamental skills and one of the most basic things you can do in programming. anyone who feels smart about being able to do it must feel extremely smart when they tie their shoes in the morning

eh if it's something you figure out in the interview maybe. i've got no interest in seeing someone's algo that they memorized

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

wtf sort of "transit hub" is this, ski lifts

ziplines into ur moms bedroom

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

i'm the person who takes her mom to burning man and wears office clothes there

naive young person trying desperately to believe that they haven't fallen into a pit of creepy weirdos

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

does this mean that honor matters, or it doesnt. i guess the military cemetery means it does but i dont see how the quote contributes to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Skim Milk posted:

come get this BIG rear end TRUCK with MILITARY GRADE ALUMINIUM so you can haul NOTHING EVER

ITS TRUCK MONTH BITCH

jk in West Virginia every month is truck month except for June which is 20 year old sedan month

• Locked thread