Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
i managed to avoid g+ entirely thus far, i hope it dies before I ever have to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
"don't be evil" is possibly the greatest marketing line in history. it somehow hacked the brains of a billion idiot open source privacy nerds and made them love an advertising company.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the ad market drop-off of 2008 really scared the poo poo out of them and they resorted to some pretty scummy tactics to remain profitable. this is well known. this post just makes it clear that they liked what they saw and stuck with the dirty dealing when the market bounced back

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's a little silly with the face but overall fine, I dunno why people are making a big deal about it.

not road-worthy in any way, though.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theadder posted:

crosspostin for scrooglin

sold some AAPL this morning, feelin' good. will probably sell some more when it hits $100

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

duTrieux. posted:

she counts as a journalist

get off your high loving horse

bloggers aren't journalists. also tech "journalists" aren't journalists.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theadder posted:

sounds like u lack faith the management

im surprised

selling into strength and taking profits has nothing to do with faith.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the iPad YouTube app is really flaming garbage. I'm not just talking about bugs, whoever thought that navigation made any sense is a loving idiot.

didn't google used to make decent apps? it seems like they keep loving with them until they become unusable.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Millstone posted:

The original youtube app for iOS was bearable because it was simple and did allow you to play music or whatever while doing something else

the original YouTube app was written by Apple

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the culmination of google engineering is an aperture science-like enrichment center

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
better advertising through science

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

computer parts posted:

that sounds just like every company

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Progressive JPEG posted:

hey i saw a volvo stationwagon on the 280 yesterday weaving through lanes with a nurburgring logo on the back

was it u

first, I want to congratulate you on saying "the 280", which is the correct way to say it.

second, no, but I appreciate your consideration.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Miley Virus posted:

almost as if that contributes to google's "launch it then shut it down a year later" methodology

it doesn't contribute to it, it creates it. in the same way as microsoft employees found it beneficial to sabotage other projects to make themselves look better, google employees know that fixing something is a waste of time so better let it die and do something new.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cremnob posted:

the management incompetence

wtf bro, uncalled for

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

go back to LA

I wish

would you prefer The Junipero Serra Freeway?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ufarn posted:

I would literally rather work from the toilet than a desk at an open office

it's great if you want to gently caress around all day.

at an interview once at a place that had these i asked the manager what people do when they need to concentrate. his answer was that they can reserve a conference room. lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google just gently caress around with side research projects that they think are cool, they don't know how to productize any of it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google wants cars as a service. you won't own a car, you'll contact google to send one to pick you up. this way they know where you are going at any time. once they have that in place they will use an advertisement-based algorithm to suggest and take you places. want to go to the supermarket? that will be the normal google car fee, or you can go to this other one for free.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I.e. google is not interested in making cars that people want, they are interested in devaluing cars entirely and moving the value proposition to the driving software that they control.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
privacy laws are one thing, but don't support European Union rent-seeking from successful American companies

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

01011001 posted:

we live in an age of post abundance

a post post scarcity age

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the iPad YouTube app is so bad it is unusable

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

people used to like microsoft

people liked microsoft when they were fighting against the evil IBM empire

people liked google when they were fighting against the evil microsoft empire

people liked _______ when they were fighting against the evil google empire

the new hero is yet to be defined. it's unlikely to be apple or Facebook.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Granbar posted:

hey can i export all my old gmail mail to my icloud mail in an easy manner

thx

super easy. open up your favorite non-web-based mail client. load both account on there. drag emails from one to the other. done.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

this is how digital fonts are already treated lol
but no one really checks+upgrades, since changes also mean reworking documents if anything substantial changes,.

eternal beta, but for fonts

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the reason was actually "we get credit for faster performance while Microsoft gets blamed for bad battery life so double win"

same reason OS X now has a power use tab in activity monitor

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol if you think apple can afford to let the smurfs, tiny tower, or the Kim kardashian game be android exclusive.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
someone unbunch jraph's panties, tia.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

EC decisions are all about penalizing American companies for being superior, not about fixing the problems in their own markets that lead to their poor quality products+services.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm not very excited about sending our troops in to bail them out when Russian tanks roll through Ukraine and into the EU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Nintendo Kid posted:

"i love how i'm overpaying for this product so the company gets more money" - every apple user.

sir, do you know why i stopped you today? the speed limit here is 45, how fast do you think you were moving those goal posts?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

But that's left us with another one of DeMars' and Barrios' claims: That there's a "greater discharge of battery power and system resources due to unauthorized activity." In other words, the plaintiffs say that they're not down with their information being shared between apps to deliver a more ~targeted~ advertising experience because every time that happens, extra battery power is expended, and the phone slows down. Moreover, they allege that this information is shared with third party apps, too.

this will never hold up. google will argue that the license for using android gives them the right to do this. nobody has to use android and this is part of the OS. ugh don't make me defend google, but if you're gonna go after them, do it in a smart way.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
just drive a rich person car and you won't get pulled over

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
also the Prius is a garbage car for idiots that gets great gas mileage.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

if people think plus is dead they must have no idea what its actual purpose is.

please enlighten us

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Nintendo Kid posted:

it's the single sign on portal for all google account services so there arent a thousand different things hth

this existed before google plus, it was called "log in with your gmail account"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pseudorandom name posted:

huh. a company with no music business got bought by a company with multiple music products and suddenly they're concerned with pissing off the music industry

weird

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FMguru posted:

by 2012 half of all tvs sold will have remotes like this

this is what happens when everything is designed by spergs with no oversight by someone who understands normal humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
within ten years accidentally sharing a naked selfie will be daily incident for most of humanity. every person on earth will have a hate blog detailing what a terrible person they are on a daily basis as well as a hoard of social media followers that get enraged at each post they make and respond with every epithet in existence. we will all drown in noise and poo poo and anger, but it will make the right to be forgotten mostly moot

• Locked thread