Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Wild EEPROM posted:

not needed in Japan because they have :chome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

anthonypants posted:

i still use my google voice number for sms, i'm kind of shocked it's still around

my mom still calls my google voice number every loving time.

i set that up in 2009ish and i think used it half a dozen times. it's a loving 740 area code that i got because the remainder of the number spells my name. i don't even know how i'd disable it if i wanted to.

syscall girl posted:

loving uberwald always burning down the clacks towers

the more pratchett went on, the more his discworld books were 'what if <x>, but discworld'

what if telegraphs, but discworld
what if movies, but discworld
what if newspapers, but discworld
what if trains, but discworld (the only one i couldn't finish)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

i bet that a) they're also going to shut down the free version of play music that lets you listen to your own music, and b) the new platform won't have that ability

guess i'd better start looking for another solution for my mp3s

plex sorta works to stream poo poo from my desktop to my phone, but sometimes when i skip a song it fails to play the next song, so i hit skip again and it successfully plays the next one

if i used it daily it would probably make me very annoyed, but i work from home so i just wired up a raspberry pi to my stereo, installed mpd, and mounted my music folder from the windows box. needs mostly suited and i have an mp3 player for when i'm out of the house

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

we use G Suite at work and it's mostly fine but they recently rolled out this Meet thing as an eventual replacement for hangouts I guess? the problem is meet only shares your screen at 720p apparently, while hangouts would do pretty good at any resolution, so now if somebody presents a window bigger than 1280x720 it rescales the image into something unreadable. we're back to using hangouts if we're going to screen-share.

the original reason we tried to transition to meet is that it allows telephone dial-in, many people seem to be frightened and confused by the idea of a link you click to join a video call.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

when i worked at samsung all the koreans did it and they said they didn't want to have kim chi breath for the rest of the work day.

won't stop the kimchi burps tho

it's a price worth paying to eat kimchi

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fiedler posted:

yeah chrome is kind of buggy so i just use firefox and manually print and mail my browsing history to google

the reverse rms

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

AES performance most likely. lovely scores mean battery drain and performance bottlenecks for encrypted storage.

or possibly tls since most sites use https now and even if you're just using apps they're all calling home at all times anyway

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

nobody is moving enough data over TLS on a tablet for it to matter

youtube?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

infernal machines posted:

yeah, that should completely stymie adoption unless they're using a definition of opt-in that means "used any google service anywhere ever"

it says "this is google calling on behalf of a person" so you can just hang up on it at least

does this count as quoting a stymie?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

it isn't even the worst offense either. this is just google requiring their apps and search bar be included but the real slam dunk anti-trust violation is the anti-fragmentation clause which prohibits an OEM from making both an Android(tm) device stuffed with google poo poo and an AOSP device or anything remotely compatible with android.

goons in 2011: lol anroid is insanely fragmented, what a joke

goons in 2018: google is being fined for trying to stop fragmentation and that's a good thing

i just use a pager and a sharp zaurus smdh phone-havers

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

gently caress Google

also I legit used to use a sharp zaurus (sl series)

the one with the slide-down keyboard? those were the coolest loving things. early 2000s I was just sure the next thing they'd do was stick cell phone hardware in there because being a little nerdly teen I was ahead of the game in mostly wanting a little computer that could occasionally act as a telephone.

i never got to play with one outside of a store. did you try developing for it at all?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

syscall girl posted:

serious question, who would you like to take as a packed lunch out of siberia as a "walking supply"

like, if you had to eat part of them but keep them on their feet until you got hungry again?

steve ballmer looks like he's got a lot of meat on him while not being so fat as to be unable to walk miles across the steppes. he's also old enough that i could probably overpower him when the time comes.

i'd get the most joy from eating zuck but 1. he's tiny so not much food, 2. i'm not sure his alien body chemistry is compatible with my digestive system

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

syscall girl posted:

it's a hypothetical like, how are you going to get out of this blender? you want to work at google right?

how do you get out of the blender?

you have, uhm 20 seconds until i make the moscow mule

surely it'd be a Bloody Larry in this particular situation

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

i don't understand why logitech requires a lovely dongle and doesn't use regular rear end bluetooth

my kensington trackball has both a wifi dongle and regular bluetooth

i use the wifi thing because bluetooth sucks and the dongle doesn't need configuration

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it would be nice to have a third ecosystem in play

google sets such a low bar on everything (security, patching, privacy) that apple doesn't have to try all that hard

kaios on the new nokia 8110 apparently has an ide now (it's just firefox os) but 1. you have to write html + js apps and 2. i fear the kaios people probably are idiots

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i just want a phone that has some form of navigation, can act as a wifi hotspot, and has some sort of tooling to let me write trivial programs for my own use. i don't care if the ui is ugly and unpolished, i just want to make little convenience programs without loving around with a whole ide and app store shituation.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

infernal machines posted:

wait, no, please tell me hea meant coding his own apps for android in notepad++ or something and sideloading, not coding apps on his phone.

like, good lord, what the gently caress?

yeah i just mean it would be nice to be able to write the equivalent of a shell script, ideally from off the phone, and load it into the phone.

like i acknowledge that this is something only the most demented and hosed up of computer touchers would want which is why there will never really be a mainstream device for that. but as somebody who writes shell scripts all the drat time that's something i'm comfortable with, and if i could make a button that e.g. scp'd all photos taken in the last day to my web server in an appropriately-named directory and then gave me a url i could text to people, i'd just as soon do that as gently caress around with ifttt or whatever other crap

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

anthonypants posted:

android used to have a program called tasker where you could do ifttt-style things with your phone, idk if it's still around. but if all you're doing is sending pictures from your phone to the cloud, you really don't need to build that program yourself

i remember installing tasker years ago, don't remember anything about it. i'll have to look into it

i'm just a fuckin' unix beard who wants to `cat /dev/camera > /tmp/pic.png`, my poo poo should largely be disregarded

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

OldAlias posted:

this isn’t offered in Canada

lol that’s a thing on android? still doesn’t work on screen lock or off-focus tho. could just uh, “YouTube-dl” what you want beforehand I guess

maybe there’s some hacky solution possible with inter-app audio. **e video, idk

of course it's not a thing on android, i just played a video and set my phone face down, the only thing that happened was the audio got muffled

if they stopped playback when the phone is face-down that would mess with their #1 youtube watcher base, teens lying in bed holding their phone overhead for hours at a time

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LastInLine posted:

thats not entirely fair its far more true to point out that you cant sort any list of any kind anywhere at all. do you have a playlist? its in the order you made it and thats it

there arent even headers to tell you what the fields are so at least theres not the ui confusion where the user could click on it and wonder why it doesnt sort by that heading like every list on a computer has done for the last thirty years so i guess they dodged that bullet

clean minimalist design

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

qirex posted:

imo there should be multiple front-ends for the music services given the many, many different ways people listen to music but that would mean compromising ~*the brand experience*~ so they just ruthlessly optimize towards a lovely shuffled playlist middle ground instead

providing an api would allow turbonerds to scratch their own itches in that regard but that would require google et al to actually commit to something and stick to it for at least a few months at a time.

also if its like most apis, it'll be different from what they actually use for the official app and only support an incredibly limited set of operations because nobody wanted to do it and they just told the summer intern to throw something together.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

https://www.fastcompany.com/90235559/inbox-googles-playground-for-email-innovation-is-going-bye-bye

wasn't somebody in here predicting the demise of inbox a month or two back?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Triglav posted:

what did inbox offer that gmail didnt?

is gmail the service and inbox "outlook"?

well, it's sort of like a hip-hop email client

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i have 2700 unread emails in my inbox and that's after cleaning it down to 0 about a year ago.

i should try doing thunderbird again and get more zealous about unsubscribing from bullshit

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fiedler posted:

maybe the algorithmic complexity is bad.
maybe somebody in 1996 hard-coded a limit of 5000 folders.
maybe it's a neurotic threading edge-case.

there are so, so many things that can cause n=10 to work and n=10,000 to fail miserably.

who would ever need more than 2^16 folders

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i've read this several times since it first showed up and it's good, the whole talk is good

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they finally got rid of the "revert to classic gmail" button in settings

oh cool so soon my email will be stuck in ultra chunky font mode forever.

i admit that 1920x1080 is not a very good resolution but it's needs-suiting enough for my personal desktop, except gmail's redesign is so fat in every way as to be unusable in my typical setup (firefox window half the width of the screen)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i predict that they're going to start displaying a 'verified name' or something similar in the location bar, so you don't see forums.somethingawful.com, you see 'Something Awful Forums' and a green checkmark. to keep the lists of verified names up to date, every time you hit a page it'll send the whole url to google servers to check.

getting the verified site name requires you to register with them in some fashion. if you don't register it will show the domain and a poop emoji instead of a checkmark.

they will claim this is to protect against deceptive unicode domain names or whatever.

edit: they're already headed toward this by displaying the ssl cert's organization name when you go to some sites

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

new in chrome 2021: pay google and a specific search term typed in the location bar will go directly to your website.

for $10,000,000, "news" can resolve to cnn.com

registering "dead gay forum" for forums.somethingawful.com should only cost a couple hundo, well worth it imo

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

can androids take screenshots yet

only when i can remember the key combination to trigger it

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hey guys heads up if you hire me and i get disenchanted, i will buy myself video games on the corporate card

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you mean the academia where tenured faculty frequently sabotage the adjuncts' attempts to unionize to preserve their hierarchy?

academia also gets the anonymous sabotage, where you're doing peer review for a paper that conflicts with / supersedes whatever you're working on so you vote against including it in the conference/journal.

i had a paper torpedoed a couple years ago, it described a tool we'd built and based on the comments in the most negative review we were able to figure out who that reviewer was... he was a guy whose entire career at this point was basically maintaining a system that could be made obsolete by our tool. (he shouldn't have really worried, once an academic has selected a tool he will cling to it until either he dies or it is literally impossible to continue using said tool)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Our adjuncts are all unionized already though?

I don't know exactly where you're getting that hierarchy idea from either. Every professor I work with wishes that we could hire all the best lecturers into the tenure track and keep them around full-time. It's the executive bureaucracy that maintains this massive underclass of adjuncts, because that's the cheapest way of putting a warm body at the front of the class. Blame the national attack on education funding for that

Over the last 15 years, the UC system has added something like 8,000 adjunct faculty jobs, lost 150 tenure-track jobs, and added 2500 executive or adminstrative positions.

so was it the national attack on education funding that made UC add 2500 executive/admin positions?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

the problem is that in CS the "keeping up with industry" that the professors are doing is machine learning algorithms or whatever

what the undergrads want to get a job is the latest javascript frameworks

the computer science classes that were actually about computer science were interesting though, and when i can step back from intensive computer touching for a loving second and like just try to think about e.g. if this function is going to scale O(n) or O(n^3) it's both enjoyable and useful.

teaching the latest javascript framework is useless because by the time you graduate it's now the N-2 javascript framework and all the kids who went to CODING BOOTCAMP last week will make fun of you. take software engineering if you want to learn agile waterfall scrum development for javascript mvp tech demos, imo

i took a class in "cybernetics" (machine learning + EEG wires stuck to your skin, basically) and it kind of sucked because it was all hacky bullshit implemented in matlab. that was 2010 though so maybe poo poo's better now.

operating systems was the best course i took in the cs dept.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

"why do I have to take these stupid humanities classes? literature is stupid and the professor is mean and gives me bad grades and they aren't even going to get me a job anyway"

"why are you wasting my son's time making him take humanities classes? I'm paying for his education, I'm the customer, I want the best value for my money"

I have had students literally ask me how much more money they're going to make in their career having taken required class X compared to someone who hasn't, and then try to argue their way out of the class on that basis

MIT requires, or at least used to require, that every undergraduate student take one physical education class per semester. It can be baseball or track or it can be ultimate frisbee or scuba diving or whatever, but you will get off your rear end and out of the lab and go do something healthy. Even the mega nerds seem to recognize the value of a balanced education

i took archery which was pretty relaxing once we started using the outdoor range.

i wanted to do language classes, but every one of them conflicted with core computer engineering classes so i ended up doing a concentration in philosophy. there are few things more annoying than philosophy students. philosophy of technology was interesting but back in 2008 the field wasn't nearly as ripe as it is today; i actually emailed my philosophy of tech prof recently about this and he said his biggest problem is scaling down to just a semester's worth of topics. back when i took it there was poo poo like "cyborgs: good or bad?" but now you could do a whole semester just on google

Sagebrush posted:

Programming is a trade skill, actually

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

wholly unsurprising

i'm the person who takes her mom to burning man and wears office clothes there

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

naive young person trying desperately to believe that they haven't fallen into a pit of creepy weirdos

if she wandered around much she might have literally fallen into a literal pit... being burning man i assume the pit would be full of people trading blowjobs for acid and calling it art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

"pc patricians" would be more alliterative and also fit better with filthy console peasants

• Locked thread