Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ludwig van Halen posted:

how do you type a capital a?

with my ring finger because i have adult sized hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Smythe posted:

chromecast is epic for "let me show this 1 youtube vid" that becomes 3 hours of drinking beer and watching fail army vids kuz ppl can add vids to the tv youtube queue from their phones

this except all my friends are women so add a bunch of funny vids of dogges to the queue too

and tequila shots *involuntary ptsd shudder*

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

uncurable mlady posted:

you know, when you're cancelling so many things that you need to make little novelty desk tombstones

maybe you should reevaluate how you're starting projects

I mean, sometimes the only way to know if a crazy idea has any useful aspects or a feasible implementation is to just try to do it. Google is big enough that they can afford to actually let people just run with ideas sometimes, and sometimes those ideas turn into things that they can make money on.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stux posted:

name one idea Google has made moneyon

their bigass map reduce implementation. lets them make money on search and advertising more efficiently.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

dogs are great. keep them the gently caress out of the office.

this. while i was early in my immunotherapy (for my dog and cat allergies), just breathing dog or cat dander within a few days of my shots could literally kill me from anaphylaxis. I told my entire team this, and still some rear end hole brought his dog in without telling me and was like "what's your deal yo, it's friday afternoon, dog time!". Like gently caress you dude, that poo poo goes through the vents, it doesn't matter what time it is. and I can't leave early, I have poo poo to do.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Wheany posted:

you're extremely dumb if you don't leave work if something there could kill you.

I actually went to a different building and remoted into my machine :)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

anthonypants posted:

maybe it's different in europe, but in america corporate taxes and private/individual taxes are two entirely different things

you cant be this stupid. the point is if he gets paid an insane amount, his ability to be paid that much depends at least somewhat on how little tax the corp pays, leaving more to pay him with. by refusing to answer, hes basically said "ridiculous bux", so he proved their point even better than if he'd just answered like "2 million", which is high but not "i got paid the 30% of profits that should have been taxes" high.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ochowie posted:

In what country do people get paid in after tax profit?

in my naive brainworld where laws arent structured to maximize ceo bonuses.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ufarn posted:

it's so loving hard to keep up with the clusterfucks at alphabet

http://www.statnews.com/2016/03/28/google-life-sciences-exodus/

lol. they hosed up. nobody in healthcare works more than like 45 hours a week.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how much of a loving worm do you have to be to put up with that kind of poo poo

i would understand if it were some uneducated no-hopers but these "people" have degrees, skills, work experience and such

until recently google and the other big fish in tech were complicit in preventing employees from jumping between each other, so probably they feared that theyd be unable to find a new job without taking an enormous pay cut.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

PleasureKevin posted:

i updated http://didgoogleshutdown.com with nest, boston dynamics and verily.

it's deploying right now

wait do you manually update all that stuff? like, whats the point of that?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

PleasureKevin posted:

end capitalism

emptyquotin pleasurekevin and not pleased about it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

duTrieux. posted:

yeah man i love it when i make a mistake but the program auto-saves it and then overwrites the cloud copies before i can tell it to stop

use openvms so the previous version still exists within the filesystem

may or may not be a serious suggestion

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is some kind of comment on the nature of modern man if people on the regular invite people out to eat with no thought in their head about what or where to eat beyond a broad category, letting google make all decisions beyond that

i assume that the next version will just have you type "lunhc!=??" and an uber pulls up with people randomly invited from your google+ and drives you to a gas station for their famous tuna wrap

wtf are you talking about, its totally normal to be bored and text a friend to say "hey, got nothing going on, wanna grab a bite?"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the death of arcades makes me sad because i cant find a ddr or pump it up machine anywhere within 75 miles of where i live, and theres nowhere in my house with room to set up a metal pad. i lost 100 pounds playing that poo poo in college.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Dog posted:

ddr a is (supposedly) coming out in the usa in a month or so, see if there's a dave n busters nearby that has it

downside: having to go to dave n busters

the one and only time i went to a dave and busters i destroyed a new rug with uncontrollable torrents of vomit 2 hours later

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol, i kinda want to report this for laughs, but i think smythe's style would be to probe me for being a basic baby bitch for that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KidVanguard posted:

i don't understand steve jobs approach to computer games. games were pretty integral to the popularity of the apple ii and a big reason kids got into computing and programming. but the macintosh abandoned games and the developers and was even actively hostile towards some of them (id). it was very easy for microsoft to swoop in and take that segment.

games are super popular on iOS too so i don't get way jobs hated games so much on his beloved mac.

jobs was very clearly obsessed with image. look at the way he carefully constructed an image for himself personally. he wanted to do the same thing with his computers. for a long time apple had this carefully cultivated image as the machine for serious, adult creatives like digital artists, photographers, editors, etc. putting a children's diversion like video games on that platform would taint the image. being seen with a mac should mean to people that you are a talented and professional creator of content.

then at some point steve finally realized that he could sell a billion computers by just making them look sexier than pc laptops and now everyone has macbooks, but all the resources of advancing gaming tech were already focused on PC so at this point devs arent particularly motivated to port poo poo over since anyone who can afford a macbook probably has a console and will just by that version of their game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
just noticed kevins avatar is clickable. i lomarfed but then i realized its actually pretty mean to the aids victims.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
got sick of having my old (deadname) email account staring at me from my anroid every day. google, 5 years after the first time someone asked for it on their support forum, still has not added the ability to transfer your play store account to a new email address.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, its also so obvious they just made google takeout because some regulatory body yelled at them for not letting users download their data, because they provide no way whatsoever to import the archive back into another account. the help for it basically says "gently caress you transfer your poo poo manually".

it took our it people literally 5 minutes to transfer all my ad and exchange data to a new domain account. google cant even transfer my dumb google keep notes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

this is because by the time you finish the upload some of those google services will have been discontinued

lomarf

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
you just don't understand their advanced strategy of no steps forward two steps back

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
google fi added uscellular so im probably gonna switch because i can get the same level of signal without the lovely contract structure, ftw

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

everyone who grew up in the 1990s and had a little sister knows what that thing is.

dont be so heteronormative, boys liked sailor moon too

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Progressive JPEG posted:

chrome's constant ui bikeshedding got me back on ff despite the latter being slower

its all google products, and the worst thing is that other companies see them as a trendsetter so every time they schizoleap to a new design language everyone falls over themselves to try to make their applications match.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
people underestimate trump in that way. his use of language is very deliberate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aFo_BV-UzI

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the fastest internets available in my area is 50/1 from charter but their reliability is loving poo poo so uverse's 30/2 is the best you can get. i live in envy of major metros that get >1gb connections. we didnt even have that when i lived in milwaukee.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

theres literally am app on my sarnsung whose only job is to put a notification in ur tray to nag u you to reboot every few days. if u disable it the phone becomes trapped in a bootloop until you pull the battery. the app is then reenabled during startup.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
my wallet has 4 zipper compartments, 20 card slots, and is cute and pinku. i can fit a change of jewelry, spare makeup, and all the poo poo u guys have in urs too. it owns.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

no, a purse is a bag. this goes inside my purse.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

graph posted:

starbucks is disgusting burned garbage

ya but they bathrooms is clean as gently caress and im just gonna get some froofy-rear end sugar bullshit where i cant taste the coffee anyway. ill take that all over some indie coffee house thats covered in hippie sharts any day.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

you live in wisconsin

you should know that as a goon i am so profoundly large that most of my mass actually resides in extradimensional z-space

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

graph posted:

when we have big meetings every couple of months or so theyll get starbucks and it is just wild how loving disgusting and undrinkable it is

it literally doesnt matter because nobody drinks starbucks like regular coffee (eg to enjoy it), they blast it away with simple syrup and flavored creamer until its a pale beige color and mainline it straight down their mouth holes to sate their dire caffeine and sugar addictions for another hour

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ahmeni posted:

the only thing worse than starbucks is people who talk about starbucks

code:
;ROU COFFEE
talkAbout(coffee)
   s coffee="f  d  w "_coffee
   x coffee
q
code:
COFFEE> d talkAbout^COFFEE("starbucks")

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the worst coffee i had was when we visited boston. we didnt know that the place basically shuts down on sunday (and at night) so when were wandering around on a chilly, drizzly sunday morning the only place we could find to get warm drinks was a dunkin donuts. i just ordered "coffee with cream" and what they handed me was nearly white it had so much cream in it. then they kicked us out because it was 5 to noon and they were about to close. boston was weird.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Endless Mike posted:

google ditching the nexus name and standard android and licening touchwiz from samsung since that's what people actually buy

http://m.androidcentral.com/end-nexus-2016-google-phones-forge-new-path

lol, does this mean literally just using touchwiz wholesale or just licensing the look and feel? cuz loving lol is all the actual functionality of touchwiz broken as poo poo.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

PleasureKevin posted:

i assure you it's bad

wtf kind of cracker rear end suburban poo poo is a great room and a sun room? gently caress this router, it doesnt work in my solarium

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Progressive JPEG posted:

the offices on the main part of the mountain view campus are now so crowded that they break sanitation laws, so a bunch of them have trailers set up outside with portapotties on em

lol. and then everyone wonders why i "hamper my career" by staying at the place that gives me a private office and, say, human dignity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
seriously all my memories of being in a cubicle or "open floor plan" environment were so dehumanizing. the whole experience is designed to make you feel like youre being watched at all times and your coworkers totally police you for kissass points if it looks like youre ever not doing work ever which leads to tedious soul-destroying hours of trying to look busy when theres nothing to do, all the while constantly feeling like there might be someone over your shoulder.

whoever mainstreamed the modern office environment was a god damned sociopath.

• Locked thread