Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

quote:

One big change for Google+ is that there will no longer be a policy of “required” Google+ integrations for Google products
:haw:

quote:

That doesn’t mean that all G+ integrations will go away, though. Gmail will continue to have it
:geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

MeruFM posted:

comments seem to say otherwise gG+ is alive and well

holy poo poo wow yeah caught a glimpse of the comments, unironic google+ supporters seriously wtf

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Socracheese posted:

i would imagine its 50 ppl doing the actual work and 1150 ppl going "i'll start the wiki"

50 people doing actual work, 1150 finding and banning people who didnt sign up with their real name

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

hello i would like to piss and moan about the new google maps (on desktop browsers)

it is bad and dumb and after months of clicking "go back to classic maps", now im stuck with the new version with its crap UI and lame 3D horseshit

no more 45 degree view loving blows, think i might end up using bing maps lol

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i don't remember sprint's marketing crap, but thinking along the lines of stupid gimmick phones, maybe that android with a 3D screen and 3D camera? oh and didn't they sell a dual-screen monstrosity for a while?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

kyocera echo!

woo-whee what a turd. iirc this thing was a briar patch of hacks and workarounds to get the dual screen poo poo to "work"

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

ok wow yeah now i remember that slogan, and that event invite

i've been posting here way too loving long lol

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

ok i looked at the engadget post i found that photo on and hahahaha

quote:

Interestingly, the Echo doesn't really run the optimized apps simultaneously when you have two of them open -- it quickly switches them in and out of hibernation, even though they're both displayed on screen. That means you can't do things like watch a video while writing an email, for example

article also mentions it was 3G only, no WiMax. haha, wimax! hahaha, sprint!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

nice

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

looking forward to a bunch of dumb projects getting axed (lol project ara)

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

*busts into thread wielding katana*

IT'S TAPE!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

how was that different from the currently availahble 3D view in google maps?

45 degree view was actual aerial photography, very sharp for the most part. no 3D modelling just put on a flat plane like regular satellite view.

3D view is chunky hosed up horseshit and i dont know why google and apple keep pursuing this crap, it all looks so bad. every time i use google maps i turn off 3D

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Space-Pope posted:

lol remember when you tried justifying harassing a mentally ill person until he killed himself?

just wanted to remind you. :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
:eyepop:                                                                            

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

See also: OSX users referring to their version by any one of a dozen large cats with no logical order to their names

apple seriously should have called 10.9 sea lion

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

my company has been spending a year moving to google apps from lotus notes and everyone just uses sametime instead of hangouts. maybe Google could try copying a 20+ year old messaging app?

a lot of people could learn a lot from a 20+ year old messaging app, sametime is unironically good.

we're migrating from notes to outlook, and skype for business is loving embarassing. the UI is a dumpster fire, there's so much goddamn wasted space from buttons meant for a touchscreen and dumb cutsey word bubbles around the messages. there's a noticable delay in hitting enter and seeing my message display in the chat. can't just paste a picture and send it instantly, inlined with the chat. nope pasting a pic forces the receiver to open a dialog and download the picture. im really gonna miss my custome emoticon collection :(

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

can you hear me now? good. you suck lol.

the verizon "can you hear me now" guy is doing sprint commercials now. seriously. lol.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

got the new google maps design on my iPhone and it's loving trash

3 more years and google maps will be as bad as mapquest in the late 90s

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

opera, it's like chrome except all ur data goes to china instead of google

but come on honestly real opera enthusiasts use vivaldi.

real crazy opera enthusiasts use otter

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Smythe posted:

ppl in the past must have been fkin stupid or something *vapes mysterious chemicals manufactured in completely unregulated chinese factory reminiscent of the factory zone from sonic the hedghog but with human trafficking instead of golden rings*

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I cannot make heads or tails out of this concept car

a man dips his fingers in fetid rear end sweat and smears a line of it on my forehead.

"HARMAN" he murmurs

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

90% of my computer usage at home is just loving it and cumming in it. Can't do that with an iPad.

you need a dongle for that

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

My work gave me a HP Probook 6470B. It's a huge piece of poo poo.

i have no idea why the hell the probook line exists...HP's lineup of products in general is a confusing loving disaster.

we only use elitebooks at work and i think im getting stockholm syndrome or something because some of the new models are actually quite OK. buy em' refurbished though, they're pretty much all overpriced straight from HP and good luck navigating their mess of a website.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

SolTerrasa posted:

Yes hello wikileaks this is a no-name something awful poster best known for that time Smythe changed his avatar to piss off hph, I have for you here this file full of profanity

lol smythe wasn't the one who did it

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

that's gotta be the best thing carmack's done since the quake 3 engine

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

in fairness it only affects windows and i mean it isnt like a whole of computers run that anyway

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

maybe i have an autistic anroid-trained brain, but when i pick up an iphone i have no idea how to use it. the interface is not intuitive at all. someone will be driving and be like 'can you grab my phone and text beth we're on the way' and i'll end up deleting an email instead.

that said, im pissed as heck about google phones. i got a nexus 5x, and it got bricked by the reboot-loop issue just after the warranty period. so i got a pixel. it's less than 6mo and the audio system is completely hosed. microphone doesn't work, speaker doesn't work, headphones don't work unless they're bluetooth. its completely useless as a phone. my friends are like "just bring it back to the store. oh wait lol owned". i have to mail it back and wait for a new one (if they even have any) like its fuckin 2002.

if you can't figure out the difference between the email app and message app then maybe something from jitterbug would be more your speed

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

10.9 should have been sea lion

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

FMguru posted:

"consumer" smartphones before the iphone were such a hilarious shitshow

the palm centro was kinda neat :unsmith:

re: blackberry

i recently saw a listing on ebay for one of their newer android phones. incredibly, over 300 people had bought one. weird.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

can't wait for the usability and design nightmare of YouTube to infest my music service

Main Paineframe posted:

i bet that a) they're also going to shut down the free version of play music that lets you listen to your own music, and b) the new platform won't have that ability

guess i'd better start looking for another solution for my mp3s

this is exactly what I'm expecting, ugh. google music isn't perfect but it's worked well enough for me. if it turns to poo poo I guess I'll subscribe to spotify for most stuff and then idk use subsonic for all my weird crap not on streaming platforms? :shrug:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Lysidas posted:

so whats the over under on how long it will take google to kill google maps? its good, usable, has worked perfectly for me in all cases, and a lot of people seem to like it, so its days have to be numbered

maps won't get killed but most of the changes they've made to it over the past few years have been for the worse and I don't see that trend stopping

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

i don't understand why logitech requires a lovely dongle and doesn't use regular rear end bluetooth

some of their newer mice like the mx master and m720 do both, and have a button to switch between different computers.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

LastInLine posted:

thats not entirely fair its far more true to point out that you cant sort any list of any kind anywhere at all. do you have a playlist? its in the order you made it and thats it

there arent even headers to tell you what the fields are so at least theres not the ui confusion where the user could click on it and wonder why it doesnt sort by that heading like every list on a computer has done for the last thirty years so i guess they dodged that bullet

jfc

guess I'll be switching to spotify once the hammer comes down on gpm??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

LastInLine posted:

oh you arent wrong there but we nerds never have problems with whatever bad thing weve chosen. after all we know why theyre bad and in what ways they fail and how to work around the failures and avoid the common pitfalls

apple services in my limited experience require the user to set everything up and manage them in such a way that things are just way more difficult than they should be. i know why theyre the way they are (and its for good reason if you value privacy which i dont) but id much rather it work without all the fuss

as an example i understand the reason continuity works the way it does but all of that just to do what web services do naturally is bonkers. yeah how about all of my devices have all of my data all the time thanks to the cloud and i dont have set any of this garbage up i just open a tab and there it all is

mods, ban for self-harm

• Locked thread